Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Our March featured author Beatriz Williams has a new novel coming out in June.

I reviewed it but it's not published yet so as soon as it is I'll let you guys see it.

But take it from me this is one you might want to pre-order.

It's set in pre-WWII and it's WONDERFUL

A Hundred Summers

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Crows Over A Wheatfield 

What to say about this one? Traditionally, if I abandon a book I give it one star but since I slogged through most of this one (390+ pages) before just flipping to the last three pages to avoid the last 60 pages, I decided it at least warranted 2 stars. The last few pages didn't tell me much but at this point I just didn't care to go any further.

The story showed such promise but could have benefited from some serious editing. Another reviewer stated it best, "...painfully overwritten". What do I mean by this? It wasn't that it was overly descriptive (something I don't care for in my reading) but my gosh, just get to the point already! Perhaps having a main character who doesn't speak much lends towards too much inward dialogue but I fear cutting that out wouldn't have done much for the story. There also did not seem to be any clear focus of the story. It was as if the two main main themes--mental illness and spousal/child abuse--were battling it out to see which one would win.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Crows Over A Wheatfield 

What to say about this one? Traditionally, if I abandon a book I give it one star but since I slogged through most of this one (390+ pages) before just flipping to the last three pages to avoid the last 60 pages, I decided it at least warranted 2 stars. The last few pages didn't tell me much but at this point I just didn't care to go any further.

The story showed such promise but could have benefited from some serious editing. Another reviewer stated it best, "...painfully overwritten". What do I mean by this? It wasn't that it was overly descriptive (something I don't care for in my reading) but my gosh, just get to the point already! Perhaps having a main character who doesn't speak much lends towards too much inward dialogue but I fear cutting that out wouldn't have done much for the story. There also did not seem to be any clear focus of the story. It was as if the two main main themes--mental illness and spousal/child abuse--were battling it out to see which one would win.

Thanks for your thoughts pj, it looks like this might be one to avoid but I'm curious as to why you thought it had promise.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Crows Over A Wheatfield 

Thanks for your thoughts pj, it looks like this might be one to avoid but I'm curious as to why you thought it had promise.

It had such good reviews and initially it had that good "vibe" ya know?

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My One Square Inch of Alaska  Read for my face to face book club for February. 3.5 stars.

A nice, entertaining read with endearing characters who each have their own struggles. Not too light yet not too serious--a good read for a rainy or snowy day. I will say to not expect that much of the story takes place in Alaska (so if you're getting it for that reason you will be disappointed). I'll read another of this author's books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Broken Paradise (WSP Readers Club Series) 4.5 Stars

Chosen for my face to face book club for March's read.  I've been dreading writing a review for this book frankly because a book so eloquent should have an eloquent review and anything I write wouldn't do it justice.  As close as the US is to Cuba, very few of us know much about the island's politcal upheavals and transitions--let alone how those transitions affected its people. Samartin gives us an excellent window into Cuba and a fictional snapshot on a family's experiences before, during, and after the revolution (based on survivors interviews and letters).  Descriptions are not overly done, but are beautifully and succinctly written.

I found this treasure on the BN bargain shelf at my local store and I can't believe it isn't on any best seller lists but it should be! Hopefully word of mouth will give this book the following it deserves. Although, I don't have my club's opinion yet, I have heard murmurs that it was a hit.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Chosen for my face to face book club for March's read.  I've been dreading writing a review for this book frankly because a book so eloquent should have an eloquent review and anything I write wouldn't do it justice.  As close as the US is to Cuba, very few of us know much about the island's politcal upheavals and transitions--let alone how those transitions affected its people. Samartin gives us an excellent window into Cuba and a fictional snapshot on a family's experiences before, during, and after the revolution (based on survivors interviews and letters).  Descriptions are not overly done, but are beautifully and succinctly written.

I found this treasure on the BN bargain shelf at my local store and I can't believe it isn't on any best seller lists but it should be! Hopefully word of mouth will give this book the following it deserves. Although, I don't have my club's opinion yet, I have heard murmurs that it was a hit.

pj, thanks for the recommends. Isn't it so true that many books we find so great don't end up on a best seller shelf somewhere. It reminds me of an interview I did once with Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Amanda Quick about the one series that I absolutely loved and she told me that because of the low readership of that series she almost gave up writing historical romance. :smileyhappy:

thanks again for sharing 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G

I hate when a book had the opportunity to be great, and for whatever reason I just wasn't able to connect with or care about what is going on.

pjpick wrote:

Crows Over A Wheatfield 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

pjpick wrote:

pj, thanks for the recommends. Isn't it so true that many books we find so great don't end up on a best seller shelf somewhere. It reminds me of an interview I did once with Jayne Ann Krentz writing as Amanda Quick about the one series that I absolutely loved and she told me that because of the low readership of that series she almost gave up writing historical romance. :smileyhappy:

thanks again for sharing 

I know what you mean. It's really frustrating when some really crummy books are on the best seller lists and when you look at reader's reviews they're not the best. The book just had some fantastic marketing behind it and other books that are quite good just fall through the cracks. One of my faves (Moloka'i) has never been on the top seller list (at least to the best of my knowledge) but it is quite popular by word of mouth.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Where'd You Go, Bernadette  

The first section (one third of the book) of this book is hilarious!  I found the short second section to be less to my liking, but the subsequent five short sections had me turning the pages fast, eager to find out where Bernadette went.  While the story started as a social satire, I thought it ended as a family story.  It was a thoroughly entertaining book.  Four out of five stars.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Where'd You Go, Bernadette  

The first section (one third of the book) of this book is hilarious!  I found the short second section to be less to my liking, but the subsequent five short sections had me turning the pages fast, eager to find out where Bernadette went.  While the story started as a social satire, I thought it ended as a family story.  It was a thoroughly entertaining book.  Four out of five stars.

Laura thanks for sharing. I had the opportunity to interview Maria but unfortunately it didn't pan out.

It is on my TBR shelf thanks again for sharing :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

"Close My Eyes" Sophie McKenzie A Psychological,Intense Book almost finished,I must put it down and Balancing it out with "Her Royal Spyness"Book #1 Rhys Bowen.Good choices for me... Hi Deb...
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
"Close My Eyes" Sophie McKenzie A Psychological,Intense Book almost finished,I must put it down and Balancing it out with "Her Royal Spyness"Book #1 Rhys Bowen.Good choices for me... Hi Deb...

Thanks for the tip VT I'm knee deep in my series romance but have some fun reads to review this month for RT too

Sleigh Bells in the Snow  

Candlelight Christmas  

The Severed Tower  

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Hey everyone, long time no chat...Here are a couple of awesome books I read in the past year:

Before I Go To Sleep Super Premium Edition

Dark Places

Inferno

Turn of Mind

The Nightmare: A Novel

Happy Friday everyone!

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

Hey everyone, long time no chat...Here are a couple of awesome books I read in the past year:

Before I Go To Sleep Super Premium Edition

Dark Places

Inferno

Turn of Mind

The Nightmare: A Novel

Happy Friday everyone!

Andreea, HI Welcome Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How are you?

You have been missed

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

:smileyvery-happy: Hi Debbie and thank you! I've been great, busy with many things (all good things) and today I was browsing on the B&N's website and I said "Let me check what's new and exciting over here" :smileyhappy: I hope everyone is doing well! I was actually looking for the monthly reading list but haven't found it yet...What page is it on?

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

:smileyvery-happy: Hi Debbie and thank you! I've been great, busy with many things (all good things) and today I was browsing on the B&N's website and I said "Let me check what's new and exciting over here" :smileyhappy: I hope everyone is doing well! I was actually looking for the monthly reading list but haven't found it yet...What page is it on?

That's great to Hear Andreea

I'm sending you a pm about the monthly read

chat w/you soon

be sure and check out my blog just click the link 

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed - Defending Jacob

Defending Jacob  

Don't know if this one has been discussed yet.  Been out a while.  I highly recommend it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

HoosierJoe wrote:

Defending Jacob  

Don't know if this one has been discussed yet.  Been out a while.  I highly recommend it.

Thanks Joe

give us some background, why do you like it etc...

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

Hmmm, how to do this without spoiling...

It is suspensful.

Well written, although bogs down in one or two places.

Insightful into the criminal justice process.

Not biased in one way or another as to the nurture vs nature controversy of behavior.

"Surprise" ending (although I wasn't surprised.  Some reviewers evidently were).