Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed - Defending Jacob

HoosierJoe wrote:

Hmmm, how to do this without spoiling...

It is suspensful.

Well written, although bogs down in one or two places.

Insightful into the criminal justice process.

Not biased in one way or another as to the nurture vs nature controversy of behavior.

"Surprise" ending (although I wasn't surprised.  Some reviewers evidently were).

Ooh Joe you definitely did it. I want it now :smileyhappy:

thanks

Reader
Sherlockfan
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Has anyone read JJ Abram's "S." ?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sherlockfan wrote:

Has anyone read JJ Abram's "S." ?

Hi Sherlockfan

I have not read it.

Is it good, have you read it?

Reader
Sherlockfan
0 Kudos

I have not read it yet but based on reviews I have asked for it for Christmas. Just curious to hear from someone besides a critic as to what they thought of it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Sherlockfan wrote:

I have not read it yet but based on reviews I have asked for it for Christmas. Just curious to hear from someone besides a critic as to what they thought of it.

I have heard of this book, I just read the blurb. One of the ladies in my in-person book club wanted to read it too. 

Based on his credentials it looks like he can weave a great story.

If you do read it and like it let us know

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Mass Effect Revelation review

Sorry no picture I having trouble doing that on my Nook which I posting this on right now. Anyways this is the first book of a prequel series based off a video game of same name. In the Mass Effect game trilogy your character is mentored by Adrimal Anderson who we learn from bits and pieces is a legendary hero in his own time. Well in this prequel the reader is a young Anderson just starting his space marine career. Anderson and his team are sent to a space colony that's under attack but when they get there both the Alliance humans and the Blue Suns mercenaries are dead and there's no clear reason of how they died? Only one person may hold some answers, a young woman named Kahlee Sanders. Anderson must find her and protect her since they're those who want her dead to cover up this. Anderson must not only protect her but figure out this mystery as well.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect Revelation review

shadowcat80 wrote:
Sorry no picture I having trouble doing that on my Nook which I posting this on right now. Anyways this is the first book of a prequel series based off a video game of same name. In the Mass Effect game trilogy your character is mentored by Adrimal Anderson who we learn from bits and pieces is a legendary hero in his own time. Well in this prequel the reader is a young Anderson just starting his space marine career. Anderson and his team are sent to a space colony that's under attack but when they get there both the Alliance humans and the Blue Suns mercenaries are dead and there's no clear reason of how they died? Only one person may hold some answers, a young woman named Kahlee Sanders. Anderson must find her and protect her since they're those who want her dead to cover up this. Anderson must not only protect her but figure out this mystery as well.
Thanks Shadowcat!

Mass Effect  

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Mass Effect Assension review

This is the second book of the Mass Effect prequel. In this one we continue our journey with Kahlee Sanders who now runs Grissom Academy which is a space station school for training young biotics. Biotics are humans that have developed special powers. Kinda like the mutants of Marvel comics. This school kinda reminds me of the X mansion from X Men. One of the students though is authistic and she's really powerful but she can't control it due to her condition. The reader is also introduced to the terrorist group called Cereberus. They are xenophobia and use a lot of sleeper agents throughout the Alliance including at Kahlee's beloved school.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect Assension review

[ Edited ]
shadowcat80 wrote:

This is the second book of the Mass Effect prequel. In this one we continue our journey with Kahlee Sanders who now runs Grissom Academy which is a space station school for training young biotics. Biotics are humans that have developed special powers. Kinda like the mutants of Marvel comics. This school kinda reminds me of the X mansion from X Men. One of the students though is authistic and she's really powerful but she can't control it due to her condition. The reader is also introduced to the terrorist group called Cereberus. They are xenophobia and use a lot of sleeper agents throughout the Alliance including at Kahlee's beloved school.

Thanks Shadowcat :smileyhappy: couldn't find a pic

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect Assension review

Mass Effect    
shadowcat80 wrote:

Thanks Shadowcat :smileyhappy: couldn't find a pic

it's partly my fault i misspelled the title.  Also on nook they sell all four books in a bundle might be why it didn't find it either.  I am on my computer right now see if I can find it real quick. 

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Mass Effect Retribution review

In this one a former agent of Cererbus named Grayson is captured by the terrorist group. Before his captured he's sends information on the group to Kahlee Sanders who turns to the one man she can trust to help her Adrimal Anderson. Anderson, Kahlee and a turian warrior named Orionia team up to take down the group and rescue their friend if possible? But agents of the Pirate Queen Aria and the Cererbus elite assassin Kia Leng are after them as well.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Mass Effect Retribution review

shadowcat80 wrote:
In this one a former agent of Cererbus named Grayson is captured by the terrorist group. Before his captured he's sends information on the group to Kahlee Sanders who turns to the one man she can trust to help her Adrimal Anderson. Anderson, Kahlee and a turian warrior named Orionia team up to take down the group and rescue their friend if possible? But agents of the Pirate Queen Aria and the Cererbus elite assassin Kia Leng are after them as well.
Thanks Steph!

Mass Effect  

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Green Arrow Quiver part one and two

Okay before I begin great news I have, I just got a new nook, a hd+ and it appears that I can post normal.  On nook color the rich text wouldn't work so I had to use html to post didn't have access to add product.  

These are nook comic books and is one of the favorite series for Green Arrow and made me a fan of the emerald archer.  Oliver Queen the original Green Arrow had died a few years prior to this series but he's back from the dead.  Part one shows some of his early days training his adopted son and sidekick Speedy.  In Part two the renewed Green Arrow takes down a corrupt politician.

Green Arrow #1 (2001-2007) (NOOK Comic with Zoom View)  

Green Arrow #2 (2001-2007) (NOOK Comic with Zoom View)  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Green Arrow Quiver part one and two

shadowcat80 wrote:

Okay before I begin great news I have, I just got a new nook, a hd+ and it appears that I can post normal.  On nook color the rich text wouldn't work so I had to use html to post didn't have access to add product.  

These are nook comic books and is one of the favorite series for Green Arrow and made me a fan of the emerald archer.  Oliver Queen the original Green Arrow had died a few years prior to this series but he's back from the dead.  Part one shows some of his early days training his adopted son and sidekick Speedy.  In Part two the renewed Green Arrow takes down a corrupt politician.

Green Arrow #1 (2001-2007) (NOOK Comic with Zoom View)  

Green Arrow #2 (2001-2007) (NOOK Comic with Zoom View)  

I got a new Nook over the summer Stephanie it's a HD too. I Love mine

congrats

and of course thanks for sharing

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Yeah it's awesome and giving the Nook Color to my sister Megan on Saturday she's turning six.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:

Yeah it's awesome and giving the Nook Color to my sister Megan on Saturday she's turning six.

Aw what a great sis you are. I can't believe she's already 6, wow!

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Mass Effect Deception Review

The fourth and final book of this series takes off where Retribution left off.  Kai Leng and the rest Cerebrus wants revenge over losing Grayson to Kahlee and Anderson.  Also Gillian Grayson his daughter has heard about her father's death and wants revenge on Cerebrus.  She was already back at 12 in Ascension very powerful with biotic powers, now 18 she's quite possibly the most powerful biotic human ever but, Kai Leng has been upgraded with cybernetics so it's cyborg vs biotic.

Mass Effect  

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Favorite fictional places?

What fictional place(s) would you like to be a part of?  

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite fictional places?

shadowcat80 wrote:

What fictional place(s) would you like to be a part of?  

Opps meant this at the offtopic thread

shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Green Arrow Quiver part three

[ Edited ]

In the third issue of the Quiver issue, Green Arrow deals with how much his city has changed when he was gone, also he meets Mia who is the girl Speedy his sidekick.  She is shown the hideout by his butler while Green Arrow is out on partrol.  It climaxes with Black Manta attacking his city which will continue in part four.

Green Arrow #3 (2001-2007) (NOOK Comic with Zoom View)