Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- The Wake of Forgiveness

dhaupt wrote:

I guess I'll be the first to dip my toes

This was the September First Look selection - and even though it was a hard story to read, it was written well and the narrative was outstanding, the characters good, well let my review speak for itself.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1452100

Debbie,

This is almost spooky.  I couldn't get my review for The Wake of Forgiveness to post to the reveiw section.  Upon reading your review here, it reads almost identical to the one I wrote, but could not post.  Good call.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- The Wake of Forgiveness

Mountain_Muse wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I guess I'll be the first to dip my toes

This was the September First Look selection - and even though it was a hard story to read, it was written well and the narrative was outstanding, the characters good, well let my review speak for itself.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1452100

Debbie,

This is almost spooky.  I couldn't get my review for The Wake of Forgiveness to post to the reveiw section.  Upon reading your review here, it reads almost identical to the one I wrote, but could not post.  Good call.

Karen, thanks.

If you have trouble posting something in the future tell me or the administrator or moderator for that club and someone will get you help.

Distinguished Correspondent
salander_9277
0 Kudos

New Recommended and or Reviewed- Outside Wonderland

Outside Wonderland 

Great read!  Below is my review.  I read almost the entire thing in one day, finished the next day.  It doesn't release until March 2011, so I suggest putting it on a must-read list so you don't forget.  I will be looking for more by this author in the future.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1461344

To acquire the habit of reading is to construct for yourself a refuge from almost all the miseries of life. ~W. Somerset Maugham

http://greatexpectationsbookreview.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Outside Wonderland

salander_9277 wrote:

Outside Wonderland 

Great read!  Below is my review.  I read almost the entire thing in one day, finished the next day.  It doesn't release until March 2011, so I suggest putting it on a must-read list so you don't forget.  I will be looking for more by this author in the future.

It does sound wonderful and so on my list it shall go.

Thanks for the recommendation, I thank you, however my sagging TBR pile may not :-)

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Outside Wonderland

salander_9277 wrote:

Outside Wonderland 

I read about this book on a Blog a while ago and was taken with the story.Thanks for posting and your review.A Book I will be sure to read...

Maybe This Time  I must say this book was a gift,and not normally an Author I would read..I was amazed that not only flawlessly written,Jennifer has written a Novel that should go on many TBR..lists..Love/Paranormal/ not your typical "Romance"..and Just never wanted it to end..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Maybe This Time

[ Edited ]

Vermontcozy wrote:

I read about this book on a Blog a while ago and was taken with the story.Thanks for posting and your review.A Book I will be sure to read...

Maybe This Time  I must say this book was a gift,and not normally an Author I would read..I was amazed that not only flawlessly written,Jennifer has written a Novel that should go on many TBR..lists..Love/Paranormal/ not your typical "Romance"..and Just never wanted it to end..Susan

Hi Susan, I was skeptical about this book because I really didn't care for her last one, but she is one of my all time favs so I gave it a read. Stay tuned to the next few days because my review of this will go up sometime soon. I also didn't want it to end and you're also right that it will please a number of different genre lovers.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

Hi Susan, I was skeptical about this book because I really didn't care for her last one, but she is one of my all time favs so I gave it a read. Stay tuned to the next few days because my review of this will go up sometime soon. I also didn't want it to end and you're also right that it will please a number of different genre lovers.

Glad you liked it Deb.,I know she has been such a Popular Author,but it does seem with "Maybe This Time" she has spread her wings,so to speak....She is now one of my faves as well..I will look for your review...Susan

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Look no further Susan and the rest of you

If you want that feel good, slightly woo-wooish kind of read with a HEA that is hard earned and well deserved, a mystery full of mayhem and murder, a well written piece of literature, well look no farther

Maybe This Time 

is all you need

Here is my review on my blog

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/10/review-of-maybe-this-time-by-jennifer.html

enjoy!!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Bad Blood by John Sandford

Here's my latest recommendation. It's the latest spin off series from John Sandford's award winning best selling series staring that irreverent cop Lucas Davenport

This one stars another memorable copy Virgil Flowers, if you read the Prey series you'll know him, I love his character and this new series is one of a kind.

He's kind of Andy Taylor meets Columbo.

Here's my review of Bad Blood 

Bad Blood (Virgil Flowers Series #4) 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/10/review-of-bad-blood-by-john-sandford.html

you can also see it on the b&n product page

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/reviews.aspx?reviewid=1464177

Inspired Contributor
BooksToTheCeiling

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

I would recommend "Whistling In the Dark" by Lesley Kegan. My review of this wonderful little book is here.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Whistling in the Dark

BooksToTheCeiling wrote:

I would recommend "Whistling In the Dark" by Lesley Kegan. My review of this wonderful little book is here.

Thanks Book, great review. And welcome to the club!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The End Game Which I finished it a few weeks ago..I couldn't put it down..Similar theme.Gerrie Ferris Finger is an Author to watch  for sure..Her  Award for The Best First Traditional Mystery Novel from "Malice Domestic" well deserved.. 
dhaupt wrote:

BooksToTheCeiling wrote:

Thanks Book, great review. And welcome to the club!!!

Thanks BooksTo the Ceiling..Wonderful review..I have seen Books by Lesley Kagen before..Must have another look.....Susan

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The False Friend  Starting "The False Friend.".A present to me from my daughter "Local Bookstore Gift Card" This is a keeper so far...only 2 chapters in,but I can tell,of course...Susan

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- The False Friend

Vermontcozy wrote:

The False Friend  Starting "The False Friend.".A present to me from my daughter "Local Bookstore Gift Card" This is a keeper so far...only 2 chapters in,but I can tell,of course...Susan

thanks Susan, I'll have to check this out

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended

[ Edited ]

I just read Philip Roth's new book:

Nemesis

It's about a wartime polio epidemic in the summer of 1944 and it's effect on Newark New Jersey's communities and children.

It's a very quick read and very interesting!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended-Nemesis

[ Edited ]

eadieburke wrote:

I just read Philip Roth's new book:

Nemesis

It's about a wartime polio epidemic in the summer of 1944 and it's effect on Newark New Jersey's communities and children.

It's a very quick read and very interesting!

Thanks Eadie, it looks really good

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

These were both really good:

Fear the Worst 

Faithful Place 

This is a lighter story, but I LOVED it:

Twenties Girl

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and Reviewed Tough Customer - Sandra Brown

A must read for lovers not only of Sandra Brown but of great romantic suspence

Tough Customer 

Here's the review

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/10/review-of-tough-customer.html

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

Re: Re:The Wake of Forgiveness by Bruce Machart

[ Edited ]

The Warmth of Other Suns   I would love to write a review on this one but frankly, nothing I could say would do it justice. What a wonderful piece of work! I saw Isabel Wilkerson interviewed on Q&A on CSPAN (don't judge, I have below basic cable and have very few watchable channels). I enjoy African American History and thought I might give it a try. I broke my rule of buying brand new hardbacks and am I glad I did! I was drawn in immediately and Wilkerson really gets you connected with the people's stories. If you enjoy history from the perspective of those who've experienced it, this is the book for you. I also think it would be a great choice for those who are in more intellectual type book clubs (mine is not, unfortunately).

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Re:The Warmth of Other Suns

pjpick wrote:

The Warmth of Other Suns   I would love to write a review on this one but frankly, nothing I could say would do it justice. What a wonderful piece of work! I saw Isabel Wilkerson interviewed on Q&A on CSPAN (don't judge, I have below basic cable and have very few watchable channels). I enjoy African American History and thought I might give it a try. I broke my rule of buying brand new hardbacks and am I glad I did! I was drawn in immediately and Wilkerson really gets you connected with the people's stories. If you enjoy history from the perspective of those who've experienced it, this is the book for you. I also think it would be a great choice for those who are in more intellectual type book clubs (mine is not, unfortunately).

pjpick, I think you did a great job on a review when you said "I broke my rule of buying brand new hardbacks and am I glad I did! I was drawn in immediately and Wilkerson really gets you connected with the people's stories. If you enjoy history from the perspective of those who've experienced it, this is the book for you. I also think it would be a great choice for those who are in more intellectual type book clubs."

Great way to say what you thought and why!!