Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

pjpick wrote:

Last Chinese Chef  Here's one of my favorites I'd like to recommend. The main basis for my recommendations is that the book has received favorable responses from friends that have borrowed/read the book. This one scores very high in that category. The book is often returned to me with the comment, "I've got to get a copy for myself."  In fact, at the time when I finished the book, I just held it in my arms stroking the cover. It was hard to let go.

Although there is a fictional story aspect attached, its main focus is an exploration of the culture of food and the sharing of meals in China. I recommend it to foodies and those who love to immerse themselves in other cultures. I've loaned it to a gal who is first generation Chinese American and another gal who has immigrated from China. Both say the cultural aspects are authentic.

Thanks pjpick..I read about Asian Culture and have some Authors that always surprise me and sometimes take my breath away..Your Book recommendation sound great.I am a little bit of a foodie.and also have a friend who would love this book.  Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-The White Queen

BooksToTheCeiling wrote:

If you haven't read The White Queen by Philippa Gregory you should. I recommend this book to anyone. My review is here.

Great review, I haven't read this one and I'll be putting it on my list, but I did really enjoy

The Other Boleyn Girl 

Thanks for the recommendation Books

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-The Last Chinese Chef

pjpick wrote:

Last Chinese Chef  Here's one of my favorites I'd like to recommend. The main basis for my recommendations is that the book has received favorable responses from friends that have borrowed/read the book. This one scores very high in that category. The book is often returned to me with the comment, "I've got to get a copy for myself."  In fact, at the time when I finished the book, I just held it in my arms stroking the cover. It was hard to let go.

Although there is a fictional story aspect attached, its main focus is an exploration of the culture of food and the sharing of meals in China. I recommend it to foodies and those who love to immerse themselves in other cultures. I've loaned it to a gal who is first generation Chinese American and another gal who has immigrated from China. Both say the cultural aspects are authentic.

Thanks for the recommendation pjpick, this looks like a good one too.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Thanks pjpick..I read about Asian Culture and have some Authors that always surprise me and sometimes take my breath away..Your Book recommendation sound great.I am a little bit of a foodie.and also have a friend who would love this book.  Susan

good to see you Susan, thanks for commenting.

Contributor
Monarch63
0 Kudos

the grand design

The Grand Design 

Able to follow the book and am enjoying the many facets it is exploring.

Bob
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Monarch63 wrote:

the grand design

The Grand Design 

Monarch -- Thanks for the review.  This one is on my TBR, but I haven't purchased it yet -- may be awhile, but eventually....

I presume from you comments it may be more accessible reading than some of his earlier writing, such as A Brief History of Time ?

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

pjpick wrote:

good to see you Susan, thanks for commenting.

Of course Debbie..Interesting book..susan.

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

*Add to the recommended list and reading list*

"Encounter at North Road House" is a supernatural horror story about a masked, invicible psychopath Jason-type who enters a house looking for another victim, but the house is vacant and haunted by ghostly spirits of wickedness.  The ghosts of the haunted house lock shut the doors and entrap the masked psychopath, allowing for a war to break out between the psychopath and the haunted things of the house.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-The Grand Design

Peppermill wrote:

Monarch63 wrote:

the grand design

The Grand Design 

Monarch -- Thanks for the review.  This one is on my TBR, but I haven't purchased it yet -- may be awhile, but eventually....

I presume from you comments it may be more accessible reading than some of his earlier writing, such as A Brief History of Time ?

Thanks Bob for the recommendation

Hi Pepper, good to see you 

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone - I'm reading the new First Look book - Three Seconds. We are just beginning the discussion tomorrow, so I have to finish Part One by then. I'm not sure about the book yet, but I'll give it some time. Happy Reading...

Anne

Three Seconds 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-Game Over

This is a must read for those of you who love Science Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal and romance, why, because it's got all of the above between it's genre jumping pages

Game Over 

read my review

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/11/review-of-game-over-by-taylor-keating.html

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Hi Vermont! Hope it works out for you. I just loved it but you just never know how others will react. I've only rc'd one poor review (she didn't finish it) from a friend I was just SURE would like it (she's a cook and likes to travel). Her sister loved it too and was stunned my friend just couldn't get into it.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

[ Edited ]

Without Reservations  Dear Alice,
Each morning I am awakened by the sound of a tinkling bell. A cheerful sound, it reminds me of the bells that shopkeepers attach to their doors at Christmastime. In this case, the bell marks the opening of the hotel door. From my room, which is just off the winding staircase, I can hear it clearly. It reminds me of the bell that calls to worship the novice embarking on a new life. In a way I too am a novice, leaving, temporarily, one life for another.
Love, Alice"

At first I was a little leary of reading this travel memoir. I was afraid of my mental comparison to "Under the Tuscan Sun" (which I could not finish). I'm glad I did not pass up the opportunity to travel with Alice across Europe. Alice observes the countries in the way I would like to--to not get caught up in the "big" things we are all are supposed to see but to relish in the small and everyday beauties different countries/cultures have to offer us. In my younger years, whenever I traveled it became all about the perfect photo, or how much stuff I could cram in the day to make the most of my trip. As I've grown older, I've learned to lay off the camera a little more and just sit back and watch. Oh sure, if I only have a day I still might choose to pack a day with sights but I've decided to give myself permission to just "be" and watch others in the same state.

I love how the author will send herself postcards to remind herself of those tiny, expressive moments years later. This is something I shall have to do in the future. To see a post-card in your own hand, writing about a special moment should surely take you back to that moment.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Cutting for Stone  

Outstanding!  Very original!  Wow!  Loved it!  It’s going on my all time favorites list.  Interesting, entertaining, jaw dropping, thought provoking, educational, emotional…  An international family saga.  Read it!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Cutting for Stone  

Outstanding!  Very original!  Wow!  Loved it!  It’s going on my all time favorites list.  Interesting, entertaining, jaw dropping, thought provoking, educational, emotional…  An international family saga.  Read it!

Okay, I'm convinced :-)

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Cutting for Stone  

Okay, I'm convinced :-)

I agree with Fozzie. Everyone in my face to face book club loved it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-A Special Christmas story

[ Edited ]

You all know Becke Davis around here, if not you've been under a rock

this is a special Christmas Story she wrote

Enjoy!!!

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/12/triple-trouble-on-christmas-eve-by.html

becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Blood Spells

Torment (Lauren Kate's Fallen Series #2) 

These are YA/Paranormal - I really liked them! Book 3 comes out in June 2011.

Fallen (Lauren Kate's Fallen Series #1)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Crave by JR Ward

[ Edited ]

Those of you who know me know that one of my favorite sub-genres is paranormal/fantasy especially when paired with a romance and one of my favorite authors in this genre is JR Ward and I'm a biiiiiiigggggg fan of her Black Dagger Brotherhood series well for those of you under a rock who didn't know she's started a new off-shoot series about Fallen Angels, now I know but don't roll your eyes because these bad boys are not what you'd think, unless you think bad to the bone, f-bomb dropping angels because that's exactly what you get here.

Crave (Fallen Angels Series #2) 

this is her second in the series, so why are you still sitting on the couch get out there and get this

here's my review

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/12/review-of-crave-by-jr-ward.html

Enjoy, I know I did!!!

Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

One of a kind

Hi Everyone - I'm reading the new First Look book - Three Seconds. We are just beginning the discussion tomorrow, so I have to finish Part One by then. I'm not sure about the book yet, but I'll give it some time. Happy Reading...

Anne

Three Seconds