Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

*Also recommending the next north road house horror story, which is rumored to be about a killer-doll*

*Add to the recommended list and reading list*

"Encounter at North Road House" is a supernatural horror story about a masked, invicible psychopath Jason-type who enters a house looking for another victim, but the house is vacant and haunted by ghostly spirits of wickedness.  The ghosts of the haunted house lock shut the doors and entrap the masked psychopath, allowing for a war to break out between the psychopath and the haunted things of the house.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

MrsWaki wrote:

*Also recommending the next north road house horror story, which is rumored to be about a killer-doll*

*Add to the recommended list and reading list*

"Encounter at North Road House" is a supernatural horror story about a masked, invicible psychopath Jason-type who enters a house looking for another victim, but the house is vacant and haunted by ghostly spirits of wickedness.  The ghosts of the haunted house lock shut the doors and entrap the masked psychopath, allowing for a war to break out between the psychopath and the haunted things of the house.

PLEASE! 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-Silver and Gold by Becke Davis

Here's another holiday story by my friend Becke Davis who most of you know as the moderator for Mystery and Garden book clubs

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2010/12/silver-and-gold-by-becke-davis.html

enjoy this wonderful Holiday tale.

Frequent Contributor
Craig_Dressler
0 Kudos

Christian Western Novel

You might enjoy my recently released short Christian Western novel entitled Standing Elk.  One librarian said of the book: "It is a beautifully written story."  The novel is available from Treble Heart Books or at the following webpage: http;//www.trebleheartbooks.com/MVDressler.html

http://christianbook2.webs.com/
Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

Re: The Whiskey Rebels by Davis Liss

pj,

Thanks for the heads up! Since I live in an area where we actually celebrate the Whiskey Rebellion, this book has generated some interest for me. I will have to add it to my list!

Barry

New User
lunaCT
0 Kudos

read and review "The Redbone Chronicles" Short stories,new and different.

dhaupt wrote:

Hi everyone, it was recommended to me to start a new thread to tell our members not just what you're reading, but what really sticks with you as a special read, something you would want to recommend to other readers.

And even better if you want to review it and share that here.

So get to it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

lunaCT wrote:

read and review "The Redbone Chronicles" Short stories,new and different.

dhaupt wrote:

Hi everyone, it was recommended to me to start a new thread to tell our members not just what you're reading, but what really sticks with you as a special read, something you would want to recommend to other readers.

And even better if you want to review it and share that here.

So get to it.

luna, welcome to the board and thanks for the suggestion

I just this am finished 

Cleopatra 

and all I can say is WOW, I know it's not fiction but I like every one has had a fascination with her and it's nice to finally read something that has more truth than falsities. I will be reviewing this in the next week and i do recommend it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship

[ Edited ]

I just read and reviewed a novel to be published 1-26-2011 for a new publisher for me Grand Central Publishing and the novel is 

The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship 

It was AWESOME your first must read of 2011

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-of-proper-care-and-maintenance.html

plus closer to the pub date the publisher is having a give a way on the hats shown on the cover so stay tuned and I'll let you know when and what you have to do.

New User
LauraMc52
0 Kudos

Hi All! I'm new to the Boards and am enjoying all of the recommendations. I am currently reading "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova and just finished reading "Monster of Florence" (which I just found out is going to be a movie with George Clooney). I am working with an author named Dana Precious and she has a new book coming out called "Born Under a Lucky Moon." It's a really entertaining story about a dysfunctional yet loving family from Muskegon, MI, behind the scenes Hollywood drama and some romance. It really is funny and sweet. I loved it! You can read two sample chapters and the prologue on her website. http://bornunderaluckymoon.com/ The book isn't released until February 8th, but you can pre-order here on B&N. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-Born Under a Lucky Moon

LauraMc52 wrote:
Hi All! I'm new to the Boards and am enjoying all of the recommendations. I am currently reading "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova and just finished reading "Monster of Florence" (which I just found out is going to be a movie with George Clooney). I am working with an author named Dana Precious and she has a new book coming out called "Born Under a Lucky Moon." It's a really entertaining story about a dysfunctional yet loving family from Muskegon, MI, behind the scenes Hollywood drama and some romance. It really is funny and sweet. I loved it! You can read two sample chapters and the prologue on her website. http://bornunderaluckymoon.com/ The book isn't released until February 8th, but you can pre-order here on B&N. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did!

thanks for the heads up Laura, we'll have to be on the lookout for it.

And welcome to the club

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Atomic Times  Four stars. Things that make you go, "YYYIIKES!" With all the information we know today in regards to radiation exposure it does seem ludicrous that such reckless testing was done with the H bomb. Harris' interesting memoir chronicles his days spent on the Pacific Proving Ground in 1955 and depicts the stress of those who were stationed on a small island in the Atolls. Like the author, I would've been horrified to hear that a co-workers toenails were glowing in the dark,to swim with three eyed fish, or to stand outside in view of a mushroom cloud. Although I found the "guy" talk a little too coarse for my taste, the story kept me riveted.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

The Atomic Times  Four stars. Things that make you go, "YYYIIKES!" With all the information we know today in regards to radiation exposure it does seem ludicrous that such reckless testing was done with the H bomb. Harris' interesting memoir chronicles his days spent on the Pacific Proving Ground in 1955 and depicts the stress of those who were stationed on a small island in the Atolls. Like the author, I would've been horrified to hear that a co-workers toenails were glowing in the dark,to swim with three eyed fish, or to stand outside in view of a mushroom cloud. Although I found the "guy" talk a little too coarse for my taste, the story kept me riveted.

It sounds like a great book, Deb.  I grew up and lived the last 30 years in the shadow of Los Alamos....I've heard the stories.  There are the same ones from Nevada, Utah and New Mexico.  I remember from age 4 or 5 mom telling I couldn't go and play in "this" snow.  It came from an atomic bomb blast.....yes, it made an impression on this little kid.

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

pjpick wrote:

It sounds like a great book, Deb.  I grew up and lived the last 30 years in the shadow of Los Alamos....I've heard the stories.  There are the same ones from Nevada, Utah and New Mexico.  I remember from age 4 or 5 mom telling I couldn't go and play in "this" snow.  It came from an atomic bomb blast.....yes, it made an impression on this little kid.

Mtn Muse

EEK! I too, am a New Mexican but grew up in the southern part of the state. My dad worked at WSMR for decades.  Each year, they would open up Trinity site to the public. When I was in college and majoring in history I really wanted to go see it and asked my dad if he could get me on the tour. We both share a love of history. He adamantly refused and there was no talking him into getting me on that tour.  Oddly enough, he had the same sort of visceral blunt response when I asked if he believed in UFOs. He gave me a sharp, "No!" and when I persisted with a ''but.." he again said, "NO!" --case closed.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pjpick wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Mtn Muse

EEK! I too, am a New Mexican but grew up in the southern part of the state. My dad worked at WSMR for decades.  Each year, they would open up Trinity site to the public. When I was in college and majoring in history I really wanted to go see it and asked my dad if he could get me on the tour. We both share a love of history. He adamantly refused and there was no talking him into getting me on that tour.  Oddly enough, he had the same sort of visceral blunt response when I asked if he believed in UFOs. He gave me a sharp, "No!" and when I persisted with a ''but.." he again said, "NO!" --case closed.

PjPick -- this thing (tome) is so long that it is a colossal pain to read or listen to (which is what I finally did a year or two ago), but it is a rather fascinating tour de force through that period of history, from baseball to Los Alamo.  (1950's - 1990's) I am not sorry to have invested the time, although I probably missed significant parts by falling asleep while listening.

Underworld  by Don DeLillo

Wikipedia entry

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Mirror of Diana  Just finished this one but I don't think I'd recommend it. I'm including it on the thread for the review, as follows:

Are there book categories for "Harlequins for Men"? or for "Books That MIght Make a So-So TV Movie"? If there are, this book would probably fall into them. I had read a glowing review or two about this one, and my interest was piqued when it became so difficult to find. I was thrilled when it finally popped up for me to purchase (at full price, mind you). Imagine my disappointment when it seemed to have about as much depth as a birdbath.

The dialogue seemed too simplistic and the character development was lacking. I was stunned to discover that one of the character's (Rosanna) was almost twenty when she was depicted through dialogue as having the maturity of a thirteen year old. A nineteen year old, European woman during wartime would surely have more grit and smarts. I did manage to finish however. I credit Homer's technique of beginning with the end to help me accomplish reading the entire book although I was tempted many a time to skip to the few last pages.

I believe if the author wrote from the perspective of Paolo--the museum curator--instead of Klaus, this would have been a much better book. To be fair to the author, if I had a love of Roman mythology I might have appreciated this book more, but I do not and therefore the impact of Diana's story was lost on me.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote:

PjPick -- this thing (tome) is so long that it is a colossal pain to read or listen to (which is what I finally did a year or two ago), but it is a rather fascinating tour de force through that period of history, from baseball to Los Alamo.  (1950's - 1990's) I am not sorry to have invested the time, although I probably missed significant parts by falling asleep while listening.

Wikipedia entry

LOL! Thanks Pep. It does look interesting but I appreciate your candor on its length. If you fell asleep during this one, there is no way I'm going to make it through. However, I do have someone I'm going to recommend it to!:smileywink:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Wikipedia entry

LOL! Thanks Pep. It does look interesting but I appreciate your candor on its length. If you fell asleep during this one, there is no way I'm going to make it through. However, I do have someone I'm going to recommend it to!:smileywink:

PJ -- Well, do put the falling to sleep into context by realizing listening to books is my "sleeping pill", to take my mind away from the worries of the day and to concentrate on something else.  If I had been listening to it at other times, I think it would have sustained my interest.  I just had to keep trying to figure out where did I fall asleep -- and that happened enough times with a book this long that it got ridiculous.  (I had the same problem with Don Quixote.)

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
0 Kudos

The book I am recommending is really an autobiography, but I think the audience for it would be here.  The book doesn't read like a non-fiction, so I'm sure fiction-lovers will appreciate it just as I did.

I read It Sucked and Then I Cried, How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown and a Much Needed Margarita written by a popular blogger and I found it to be hilarious.  It obviously had serious moments too, but the majority were short stories (or blogs) strung together to document the pregnancy, and beyond, of Heather B. Armstrong.  Her writing style is definitely born from the computer instead of an English class, but I appreciate the stylings, because it conveyed more emotion that way.  Perhaps that was one of the reasons the humor came across so well.  

I purchased this book partly because my husband and I are planning a pregnancy now, so I thought the topic would be of interest and perhaps even helpful to me, but after reading it, I found the scope wasn't as narrow as I thought.  Almost anyone could read this book and enjoy it.  I suppose the most macho of men might feel weird reading a book entirely from the perspective of a pregnant woman/new mom, but her experiences and voice really make it a worthwhile read. 

If you're in the mood for a laugh, have kids (or are expecting) or just love reading great bloggers online, then this book is for you. 

It Sucked and Then I Cried

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

SandraPants wrote:

The book I am recommending is really an autobiography, but I think the audience for it would be here.  The book doesn't read like a non-fiction, so I'm sure fiction-lovers will appreciate it just as I did.

I read It Sucked and Then I Cried, How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown and a Much Needed Margarita written by a popular blogger and I found it to be hilarious.  It obviously had serious moments too, but the majority were short stories (or blogs) strung together to document the pregnancy, and beyond, of Heather B. Armstrong.  Her writing style is definitely born from the computer instead of an English class, but I appreciate the stylings, because it conveyed more emotion that way.  Perhaps that was one of the reasons the humor came across so well.  

I think it deserves kudos based on the title alone!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

SandraPants wrote:

I purchased this book partly because my husband and I are planning a pregnancy now, so I thought the topic would be of interest and perhaps even helpful to me, but after reading it, I found the scope wasn't as narrow as I thought.  Almost anyone could read this book and enjoy it.  I suppose the most macho of men might feel weird reading a book entirely from the perspective of a pregnant woman/new mom, but her experiences and voice really make it a worthwhile read. 

If you're in the mood for a laugh, have kids (or are expecting) or just love reading great bloggers online, then this book is for you. 

Thanks Sandra, this does sound like a really good read.

And Welcome to the board :smileyhappy: