Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-A Discovery of Witches

Here's the next Must Read for all of you fantasy fans out there, historical fans, romance fans, mystery fans, Oh heck all readers will love this one.

 

 

 

A Discovery of Witches 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/01/review-of-discovery-of-witches-by.html

Distinguished Scribe
SandraPants
Posts: 748
Registered: ‎12-08-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

[ Edited ]

@ pjpick - I agree with you about the title!  It was definitely what pulled me into the book.  I may not have even considered it, but that title stuck out from among the crowd.  :smileyhappy:

 

@ Debbie - Thanks again and it was definitely worth reading! 

Spelling is for "loosers."
http://sandrathenookworm.blogspot.com/
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

A Child al Confino  I had this on My TBR..Then last Friday Jeremy had it on Free Fridays..So I dnloaded it ,,Italy WW2..Its a Memoir.and I had no idea about the Jewish situation in WW2.in Italy..I have  read many books on The Holocaust,but Eric Lamet's account as told by him as a child in very rural parts of Italy,living with his mother..And being welcomed ..Its just a wonderful book so far..A real learning experience for me...I am not finished with "A Child al Confino",will post again when I am...I am halfway into the book...All could change....Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


Vermontcozy wrote:

A Child al Confino  I had this on My TBR..Then last Friday Jeremy had it on Free Fridays..So I dnloaded it ,,Italy WW2..Its a Memoir.and I had no idea about the Jewish situation in WW2.in Italy..I have  read many books on The Holocaust,but Eric Lamet's account as told by him as a child in very rural parts of Italy,living with his mother..And being welcomed ..Its just a wonderful book so far..A real learning experience for me...I am not finished with "A Child al Confino",will post again when I am...I am halfway into the book...All could change....Susan


I might have to put this one on my wishlist. Thanks for sharing!

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

A Child al Confino  I had this on My TBR..Then last Friday Jeremy had it on Free Fridays..So I dnloaded it ,,Italy WW2..Its a Memoir.and I had no idea about the Jewish situation in WW2.in Italy..I have  read many books on The Holocaust,but Eric Lamet's account as told by him as a child in very rural parts of Italy,living with his mother..And being welcomed ..Its just a wonderful book so far..A real learning experience for me...I am not finished with "A Child al Confino",will post again when I am...I am halfway into the book...All could change....Susan


I downloaded this one too Susan, thanks for the great report on it. Now It'll go to the top of the list

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

People of the Book  2.5 stars.  Perhaps I expected too much since I'd been told by others that it was a "great book". Unfortunately, I can't really give the same recommendation. It was an okay read but I'm finding it difficult to put my finger on why it just isn't registering as well as it did for other reviewers. I think it is due to the feeling of a disconnect from the main character and the story of "the book". It seems like there should have been a stronger emphasis on the process of her research and finding the clues to establish a stronger connection. Hannah would find a clue and then just take it to an expert to get solved--wham bam, thank you ma'am. The author would then paint a picture of how the clue occured in the past but something was missing in the relating of the two parts of the story. As for the ending, I just don't think it was necessary to take the route the author chose (I'm leaving things out here so as not to be spoiler). It seemed to me the author felt she needed a little more "something something" to include at the ending to spice up the book. It wasn't necessary.

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

 


pjpick wrote:

People of the Book  2.5 stars.  Perhaps I expected too much since I'd been told by others that it was a "great book". Unfortunately, I can't really give the same recommendation. It was an okay read but I'm finding it difficult to put my finger on why it just isn't registering as well as it did for other reviewers. I think it is due to the feeling of a disconnect from the main character and the story of "the book". It seems like there should have been a stronger emphasis on the process of her research and finding the clues to establish a stronger connection. Hannah would find a clue and then just take it to an expert to get solved--wham bam, thank you ma'am. The author would then paint a picture of how the clue occured in the past but something was missing in the relating of the two parts of the story. As for the ending, I just don't think it was necessary to take the route the author chose (I'm leaving things out here so as not to be spoiler). It seemed to me the author felt she needed a little more "something something" to include at the ending to spice up the book. It wasn't necessary.

 


thanks pj, that's the nail on the head for me

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


pjpick wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

A Child al Confino  I had this on My TBR..Then last Friday Jeremy had it on Free Fridays..So I dnloaded it ,,Italy WW2..Its a Memoir.and I had no idea about the Jewish situation in WW2.in Italy..I have  read many books on The Holocaust,but Eric Lamet's account as told by him as a child in very rural parts of Italy,living with his mother..And being welcomed ..Its just a wonderful book so far..A real learning experience for me...I am not finished with "A Child al Confino",will post again when I am...I am halfway into the book...All could change....Susan


I might have to put this one on my wishlist. Thanks for sharing!


pjpick,,, I think you will like it...Its heartwarming and heartbreaking...Written very well..Must check on Authors other books,,,You are Welcome..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs Series #1)  I'm not one for mysteries and not one for serials. I purchased this one to send to my mom, but as I was looking for an easy read and this one was in reach I cracked it open to take a gander. Well, it was a pleasant surprise! It didn't take long before I found myself engrossed in the life of Maisie Dobbs.

As this is the first in the Maisie Dobbs series, it was light on the mystery and heavy on the "set up" and history for the series (which could be why I liked it so much). It also felt like I was reading an episode of Masterpiece Theatre--which I absolutely love. Maisie seems like somone I would have as a friend and Winspear's writing gave me strong images of WWI post-WWI England. Finally, the last two pages had me sobbing like a baby. Kudos Winspear, for such a lovely story! I look forward to book #2.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


dhaupt wrote:

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

A Child al Confino  I had this on My TBR..Then last Friday Jeremy had it on Free Fridays..So I dnloaded it ,,Italy WW2..Its a Memoir.and I had no idea about the Jewish situation in WW2.in Italy..I have  read many books on The Holocaust,but Eric Lamet's account as told by him as a child in very rural parts of Italy,living with his mother..And being welcomed ..Its just a wonderful book so far..A real learning experience for me...I am not finished with "A Child al Confino",will post again when I am...I am halfway into the book...All could change....Susan


I downloaded this one too Susan, thanks for the great report on it. Now It'll go to the top of the list

 


Finished "A Child al Confino..Definately a book you will like Debbie,,Will review on BN  I did a short Review on GoodReads..

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


:smileytongue:jpick wrote

Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs Series #1)  I'm not one for mysteries and not one for serials. I purchased this one to send to my mom, but as I was looking for an easy read and this one was in reach I cracked it open to take a gander. Well, it was a pleasant surprise! It didn't take long before I found myself engrossed in the life of Maisie Dobbs.

As this is the first in the Maisie Dobbs series, it was light on the mystery and heavy on the "set up" and history for the series (which could be why I liked it so much). It also felt like I was reading an episode of Masterpiece Theatre--which I absolutely love. Maisie seems like someone I would have as a friend and Winspear's writing gave me strong images of WWI post-WWI England. Finally, the last two pages had me sobbing like a baby. Kudos Winspear, for such a lovely story! I look forward to book #2.


pjpick I put "Maisie Dobbs" on my TBR. I also am very taken with WW1 before during and after,And WW2,,,Thanks for your recommend...Susan...I am involved with "Downtown Abbey" But I believe the last one was last week,,Last night I watched "39 Steps" which was very good as well...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed The Collectibles by James J. Kaufman

2011 is going to be a banner year for great reads, here's another one

 

 

The Collectibles 

 

here's my review 

 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-of-collectibles-by-james-j.html

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe Chick lit consists of several categories. This one fits for chicks over 40--i.e. it's still girl-like emotional and men stuff but stuff chicks of my age (mid-40s) can actually relate to. All in all, it was a fairly decent book. At times I just wanted to take the protagonist by the shoulders and say, "Snap out of it!" but it came clear that the author intended Mira to be a flawed individual--nice but flawed and somewhat irritating. I did like that the author allowed most of her characters to have some growth in the story. So often we only see the protagonist change. I was taken with the ability to shirk my responsibilites aside, just run away, and then work at a Bohemian Coffee Bar in Seattle. I can't tell you how many times I just want to throw my hands up to responsibility and just have a different life. That part of the book appealed to me greatly. Great book for a rainy or snowy day where you can sit and escape.
 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

 


pjpick wrote:

Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe Chick lit consists of several categories. This one fits for chicks over 40--i.e. it's still girl-like emotional and men stuff but stuff chicks of my age (mid-40s) can actually relate to. All in all, it was a fairly decent book. At times I just wanted to take the protagonist by the shoulders and say, "Snap out of it!" but it came clear that the author intended Mira to be a flawed individual--nice but flawed and somewhat irritating. I did like that the author allowed most of her characters to have some growth in the story. So often we only see the protagonist change. I was taken with the ability to shirk my responsibilites aside, just run away, and then work at a Bohemian Coffee Bar in Seattle. I can't tell you how many times I just want to throw my hands up to responsibility and just have a different life. That part of the book appealed to me greatly. Great book for a rainy or snowy day where you can sit and escape.


 

pj, thanks for the great review. It's so hard to find a protagonist "of a certain age", it's the main reason I don't care for historical romantic fiction, I mean it's like child porn.

looks good.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


dhaupt wrote:

 


pjpick wrote:

Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe Chick lit consists of several categories. This one fits for chicks over 40--i.e. it's still girl-like emotional and men stuff but stuff chicks of my age (mid-40s) can actually relate to. All in all, it was a fairly decent book. At times I just wanted to take the protagonist by the shoulders and say, "Snap out of it!" but it came clear that the author intended Mira to be a flawed individual--nice but flawed and somewhat irritating. I did like that the author allowed most of her characters to have some growth in the story. So often we only see the protagonist change. I was taken with the ability to shirk my responsibilites aside, just run away, and then work at a Bohemian Coffee Bar in Seattle. I can't tell you how many times I just want to throw my hands up to responsibility and just have a different life. That part of the book appealed to me greatly. Great book for a rainy or snowy day where you can sit and escape.


 

pj, thanks for the great review. It's so hard to find a protagonist "of a certain age", it's the main reason I don't care for historical romantic fiction, I mean it's like child porn.

looks good.


Although I did enjoy pjpick review of "Love and The Biology at The Center of the Universe.".and a book I might read.I was taken back by your reference to Historical Romantic Fiction which has a very wide span as "Child Porn"  A different place a different time in History...It is truly a huge mistake IMO to make that reference..Amazing Authors were published..maybe you can Cite some Authors that offended you....Susan...

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


Vermontcozy wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

 


pjpick wrote:

Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe Chick lit consists of several categories. This one fits for chicks over 40--i.e. it's still girl-like emotional and men stuff but stuff chicks of my age (mid-40s) can actually relate to. All in all, it was a fairly decent book. At times I just wanted to take the protagonist by the shoulders and say, "Snap out of it!" but it came clear that the author intended Mira to be a flawed individual--nice but flawed and somewhat irritating. I did like that the author allowed most of her characters to have some growth in the story. So often we only see the protagonist change. I was taken with the ability to shirk my responsibilites aside, just run away, and then work at a Bohemian Coffee Bar in Seattle. I can't tell you how many times I just want to throw my hands up to responsibility and just have a different life. That part of the book appealed to me greatly. Great book for a rainy or snowy day where you can sit and escape.


 

pj, thanks for the great review. It's so hard to find a protagonist "of a certain age", it's the main reason I don't care for historical romantic fiction, I mean it's like child porn.

looks good.


Although I did enjoy pjpick review of "Love and The Biology at The Center of the Universe.".and a book I might read.I was taken back by your reference to Historical Romantic Fiction which has a very wide span as "Child Porn"  A different place a different time in History...It is truly a huge mistake IMO to make that reference..Amazing Authors were published..maybe you can Cite some Authors that offended you....Susan...


But I am still Suze Debga,,,

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

 


Vermontcozy wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

 


pjpick wrote:

Love and Biology at the Center of the Universe Chick lit consists of several categories. This one fits for chicks over 40--i.e. it's still girl-like emotional and men stuff but stuff chicks of my age (mid-40s) can actually relate to. All in all, it was a fairly decent book. At times I just wanted to take the protagonist by the shoulders and say, "Snap out of it!" but it came clear that the author intended Mira to be a flawed individual--nice but flawed and somewhat irritating. I did like that the author allowed most of her characters to have some growth in the story. So often we only see the protagonist change. I was taken with the ability to shirk my responsibilites aside, just run away, and then work at a Bohemian Coffee Bar in Seattle. I can't tell you how many times I just want to throw my hands up to responsibility and just have a different life. That part of the book appealed to me greatly. Great book for a rainy or snowy day where you can sit and escape.


 

pj, thanks for the great review. It's so hard to find a protagonist "of a certain age", it's the main reason I don't care for historical romantic fiction, I mean it's like child porn.

looks good.


Although I did enjoy pjpick review of "Love and The Biology at The Center of the Universe.".and a book I might read.I was taken back by your reference to Historical Romantic Fiction which has a very wide span as "Child Porn"  A different place a different time in History...It is truly a huge mistake IMO to make that reference..Amazing Authors were published..maybe you can Cite some Authors that offended you....Susan...


But I am still Suze Debga,,,


:smileywink:

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Coventry  3 stars

Once again, I'm finding this one a little hard to rate. Why? I can't quite put my finger on it. This novella's main focus (but not solely) is on the events of one night during the bombing of Britain. Although the largest part of the book focuses on this night, the author adds those fleeting moments where we may have innocuous encounters with people only to find our lives may touch again later in life. The writing is very stark which contrasts with the chaos of war. Although the books are not similar in story line, I would compare the story telling style of this book to that of "When the Emperor was Divine." The author strives not for heartbreak nor inspiration. I found her purpose of the story to be acceptance of what we cannot change and the acceptance of the need to move on.
  flag

 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
Posts: 5,279
Registered: ‎10-20-2008
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed


pjpick wrote:

Coventry  3 stars

Once again, I'm finding this one a little hard to rate. Why? I can't quite put my finger on it. This novella's main focus (but not solely) is on the events of one night during the bombing of Britain. Although the largest part of the book focuses on this night, the author adds those fleeting moments where we may have innocuous encounters with people only to find our lives may touch again later in life. The writing is very stark which contrasts with the chaos of war. Although the books are not similar in story line, I would compare the story telling style of this book to that of "When the Emperor was Divine." The author strives not for heartbreak nor inspiration. I found her purpose of the story to be acceptance of what we cannot change and the acceptance of the need to move on.
  flag

 


I did like your review of :Coventry: pj,,Its fits with my always curious mind about WW1..TBR...Thanks Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer