Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

A lot of you know I have a real love for paranormal romance, as a woman of a certain age I like finding romances that don't star 20 somethings and I find that with paranormal the characters are more than not ageless.

Here is one of my all time favorite authors in the genre of romance she writes as Claire Delacroix and has many historical romances and paranormal romances under her belt and she also writes a paranormal romance series under her real name Deborah Cooke about shapeshifting dragon species called the Pyr. This is her latest coming out in May 

Darkfire Kiss 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-of-darkfire-kiss-by-deborah.html

And those of you who like me can't get enough of her dragons, well she's also started a spin off series about the second generation of the Pyr in her new YA series the first one comes out in June

Flying Blind 

I'll be reading the arc for this and posting a review in the next week or so.

Frequent Contributor
maryclare
0 Kudos

Echo House

In an effort to expand my reading habits beyond crime mysteries, I downloaded Echo House.  The sample was intriguing, so I bought it.  Now I can't get beyond the Axel/Alec WW1 retelling - the writing seems plodding and I suffered through the Aquitaine episode.  It almost reads as if another writer took over.  I'd like to quit this book, and that is rare for me.  So I'm hoping for some encouragement to read on...did anyone else enjoy this book...does it get better?  Thanks

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Echo House

maryclare wrote:

In an effort to expand my reading habits beyond crime mysteries, I downloaded Echo House.  The sample was intriguing, so I bought it.  Now I can't get beyond the Axel/Alec WW1 retelling - the writing seems plodding and I suffered through the Aquitaine episode.  It almost reads as if another writer took over.  I'd like to quit this book, and that is rare for me.  So I'm hoping for some encouragement to read on...did anyone else enjoy this book...does it get better?  Thanks

maryclare, I haven't read this particular novel so I can't answer this question for you and I am the wrong person to ask for encouragement in continuing to read something you don't enjoy as I will stop reading the book if I can't stand it.

I hope someone here can help you though.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

I just finished this novel, which I obtained as an eBook loan from the Nioga system:

This is a story told, in tandem, by six of the novel's characters.  Each chapter adds another "layer" to the plot, set in Mississippi, back in the early 1900's.  Few people were just beginning to question racism, and the KKK was still active in many parts of the country.  A white family has just moved from  "modern" home in Memphis to a squallid shack on a farm.  Their history is just part of the story.  The relationship that grows and changes between them and an African American sharecropper family sets the scene.  The driving forces in the plot are two young men, one of each family, who are just home from war overseas.  Both have seen terrible things which haunt both their dreams and waking moments.  These two form an uneasy bond, as they understand each other's horrors.  Meanwhile, the surrounding township does not understand their experiences or their friendship.  Here we see an awakening for the characters at hand, as they learn that the skin color without is not a reflection of the person that lies within.  The ending leaves the reader "hoping" but not knowing, as who truly is privy to what the future has in store for each of us, let alone others; in short, the author's characters are compelling enough to make us care about them.

I was initially drawn by the cover, which is currently plastered all over the library.  So, I put a hold on the eBook, and was delighted to find it in my mailbox just three days later.  I chewed through the novel in a mere 2-1/2 days, just in time for a Thursday night author chat and booksigning.  This is one that I may purchase as a DTB, as I can't really envision the author signing my Nook.  :smileywink:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

I just finished this novel, which I obtained as an eBook loan from the Nioga system:

This is a story told, in tandem, by six of the novel's characters.  Each chapter adds another "layer" to the plot, set in Mississippi, back in the early 1900's.  Few people were just beginning to question racism, and the KKK was still active in many parts of the country.  A white family has just moved from  "modern" home in Memphis to a squallid shack on a farm.  Their history is just part of the story.  The relationship that grows and changes between them and an African American sharecropper family sets the scene.  The driving forces in the plot are two young men, one of each family, who are just home from war overseas.  Both have seen terrible things which haunt both their dreams and waking moments.  These two form an uneasy bond, as they understand each other's horrors.  Meanwhile, the surrounding township does not understand their experiences or their friendship.  Here we see an awakening for the characters at hand, as they learn that the skin color without is not a reflection of the person that lies within.  The ending leaves the reader "hoping" but not knowing, as who truly is privy to what the future has in store for each of us, let alone others; in short, the author's characters are compelling enough to make us care about them.

I was initially drawn by the cover, which is currently plastered all over the library.  So, I put a hold on the eBook, and was delighted to find it in my mailbox just three days later.  I chewed through the novel in a mere 2-1/2 days, just in time for a Thursday night author chat and booksigning.  This is one that I may purchase as a DTB, as I can't really envision the author signing my Nook.  :smileywink:

You've sold me, it sounds really good.

thanks

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80

My review of Daedalus and Daedalus' Children by Dave Stern.  I am doing these two together because they are a 2 part story.  These two books are based off Star Trek's series Enterprise which is the prequel of the orginal series.

Now something that Stern always does with his star trek books he typically takes one character for the most part and really makes them the star of the story.  In Daedalus's case that star is Commander Charles Tucker the Third or as his friends call him Trip.  Trip and Hoshi are doing modifications on a small Sulliban ship that they stole in the pilot episode the tv show.  But as they are doing this the ship is attacked.  There's a hull breach that their small ship is sucked out of.  They can't do anything for Enterprise as its captured.  Eventually they find a group of rebels that are fighting the terrorists that captured Enterprise.  However; both Trip and Hoshi get sick and the doctor there can't do anything to help them.

In Daedalus' Children, we discover more about the illness that Trip and Hoshi are suffering from, as we learn the other members of the crew are suffering as well.  Doctor Phlox could find a cure to it if they were still on Enterprise but they are not at this point.  Archer leads an escape and eventually comes in contact with the same rebels that Trip found, but finds out Trip had left them to find Enterprise because Hoshi's illness had gotten crtical.  Trip finds Enterprise but, how can he retake it by himself?  As he is sneaking around he grabbed by someone.  He panics until he recognizes the voice.  Lt. Reed was also on board and Ensign Mayweather as well.  How will the trio of officers retake Enterprise and join the rest of their crewmates?

Star Trek Enterprise 

Star Trek Enterprise 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

I own it, but haven't read it yet.  Now I may have to bump it to a higher priority.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
shadowcat80

Batman has faced many enemies over the years, some of which are considered comic books greatest villains, but in Batman Rise of Sin-Tzu he faces a new villain which was made for this novel which is also based off a video game of the same name.  Batman is joined with Robin(Tim Drake) which is the third Robin, Nightwing(Dick Greyson), which is the orginal Robin, many of you probably think of Greyson as Robin so that's why I pointing out who is who for you and also joining the battle is Batgirl. 

Sin-Tzu bases his whole attack strategies from the book of war by Sun-Tzu.  He step up a multi-step plan to keep Batman and his team busy while he preparing for the ultimate fight and defeat of the Dark Knight.

Batman and his team has to face also some of his classic nemesises during the story, Scarecrow, Bane, and Clayface.  If you like Batman you would probably like this novel.  As much I know of its only in DTB form.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Train to Trieste  Although I found the author's writing style a little hard to read, I still found myself being pulled into Mona's story. Probably like most of us out there, I've read very little fiction about Romania so I really have no baseline to compare it to. The author is very knowledgeable about Romania during the 1970s through 1980s and I found the story very informative. Although another reviewer has panned this book stating the story was more of a person's of priviledge (unlike most Romanians during that time) I don't think it should be panned because of this. It was the life the author knew, and if this life is one of priviledge,it certainly shows how bad things were in Romania.

The book was rating a strong 4 stars for me. Unfortunately there were so many dream sequences that by the time I was about 2/3 of the way through it became really irritating and I would say to myself, "Really? Again?."

Also, <spoiler alert> I felt there was this big build up towards the ending which ended with a mild thud--sort of like a pebble hitting a dirt path.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

[ Edited ]

Heart of Lies  Chosen for my face to face book club and was given "a thumbs up" by all members. I enjoyed the historical aspects of the story and the locales:  Hungary, Paris, Shanghai, and New York. Although I would have preferred more character development and depth, I would still give it 4 stars for a good read. I quite enjoy reading about the era between WWI and WWII Malcom gives us a different venue of this era.  Entertaining and a quick read.

Looking forward to the sequel: Heart of Deception . 

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Heart of Lies

Chosen for my face to face book club and was given "a thumbs up" by all members. I enjoyed the his...

Looking forward to the sequel:

Heart of Deception

Heart of Lies

Thanks PJ...I am looking forward to reading the book...It's a favorite era of mine as you know...Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed-The Peach Keeper

[ Edited ]

Okay for all you fans of Sarah Addison Allen your wait is almost over and what a treat you'll have in store for you once you open the magical pages of her new book.

The Peach Keeper 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-of-peach-keeper-by-sarah-addison.html

shadowcat80

Before I begin my review for this book, my review for the first book of this trilogy also on the fiction general discussion under its title tomb raider amulet of power, I didn't notice this thread at the time.  Sorry about that

Lara Croft Tomb Raider 

The Lost Cult is the 2nd of the Tomb Raider Trilogy which used to be available on BN for nookbooks because I have them e-books but, they stopped selling e-book format but you may be able to find it from other sites in e-books.

The Lost Cult Lara Croft has to take on a mysterious group called the Mene, who are killing friends of her in the archeology industry, also she was told by a new friend who is nicknamed the Borg because he has bionic hands, that her childhood friend AJay who is Borg's girlfriend been brainwashed by the Mene.  If that not bad enough AJay is a tomb raider herself and is nearly as good as Lara and now Lara got to beat her friend turned now rival to the artifact. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Heart of the Matter  Three stars First, I have to disclose that this is not my preferred genre and the only reason I read "Heart of the Matter" was because it was chosen by my book club. Now...why the three star rating? I couldn't put the book down but I absolutely hated it. What a weird paradox. Giffin sure writes well and she knows how to pull you into a story but I just found the main characters incredibly frustrating. Although they all had their good characteristics, Giffin surely highlighted their shortcomings. She did this so well that I thought the book should be entitled, Suspicious People" or "Unable to Live Up to the Standards of Others." Although the characters redeemed themselves in the last 10-15 pages it was not enough for me to "feel better" about the book. I would have to compare this book to watching an unseen news clip of an impending disaster. You know what the end result is but just haven't seen the elements that lead up to it--you can't peel yourself away yet along the way you don't want to see the disaster.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- My One and Only by Kristan Higgins

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

I just read a Harlequin Teen, but it was really much more than a YA read and I loved it

The Goddess Test 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-of-goddess-test-by-aimee-carter.html

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- The Goddess Test by Aimée Carter

This week is full of recomendations - here's another one

It Happened on Maple Street

It's part of the True Vows series I spoke of a few weeks ago- here's Tara Taylor Quinn's true story

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-of-it-happened-on-maple-street.html

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed - It Happened on Maple Street by Tara Taylor Quinn

dhaupt wrote:

It's part of the True Vows series I spoke of a few weeks ago- here's Tara Taylor Quinn's true story

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/03/review-of-it-happened-on-maple-street.html

Since the time had expired for revisions, I went ahead and gave you a new header, Debbie, although just the general one might be preferable.  Leave it to you going forward, but as too often, my editor's eye kicked in. 

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed - It Happened on Maple Street by Tara Taylor Quinn

Peppermill wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Since the time had expired for revisions, I went ahead and gave you a new header, Debbie, although just the general one might be preferable.  Leave it to you going forward, but as too often, my editor's eye kicked in. 

Ah, Thanks Pepper, will I ever remember to do that all the time :smileyhappy:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Ah, Thanks Pepper, will I ever remember to do that all the time :smileyhappy:

Probably not, at least if you are human like the rest of us.  (You can find these threads littered with some of my own that a) either never got corrected or b) did, either by myself or someone else.  Sometimes it is a pain to have worked as an editor at some point in one's life.  But, I still smile when my son started testing me after he had been working on a paper where he was updating print edition copy for online -- I think he was getting even for those years when I would read his school papers, a practice he eventually thwarted me on and wouldn't let me see them!  But with that job, he eventually became quicker than I at spotting errors.  Probably one of the hardest to catch was a word at the end of one line repeated at the beginning of the next -- the eye/brain just seems to automatically correct.  It was surprising for me to realize that, at least seven years ago, not all publishing systems had the features most of us take for granted with Word.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy