Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
Posts: 270
Registered: ‎02-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

I really enjoy this forum myself! Everyone is so nice and friendly!I look forward to logging on every day! :smileyhappy:

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

 


A_G_D wrote:

I really enjoy this forum myself! Everyone is so nice and friendly!I look forward to logging on every day! :smileyhappy:


And you're a joy to have Andrea :smileyhappy: without you and the other members there would only be blank pages

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,354
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Criminal Minds  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This book which is based off the tv show Criminal Minds, plays out like an episode of the show.  It's about a serial killer that kidnaps toddler girls, raising them for ten years as his own children, and then kills them.  Just as the show, the story centers around developing a profile to catch the Unknown Subject or Unsub as term is coined on the show.  Being that the profile is a big part of the appeal of the story, I'm not going to include it.  The book does a great job of capturing the characters of the team.  Which makes the book feel like the show.  If you're a fan of Criminal Minds, or if you like mysteries or both you would appreciate this book.

 

 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,354
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Wings (Laurel Series #1)  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wings is by Aprilynne Pike.  It's centered around a teenage girl named Laurel.  Who has just moved to another town and entered a new school.  She's a vegan, she's rather pretty, but a bit shy because she used to be home schooled.  She meets another student named David who is really good in science.  After this, she get a bump on her back, she's worried about what it is but, she doesn't want to tell anyone about it.  When a pair of flowerly wings sprang out from the bump, she decides she has to tell someone and picks David.  David and Laurel try to find out about her changes, all the tests he does says that she is some of kind of plant.  She is told by another guy that she's a fairy. 

 

It's a really nice story that is geared for teenage girls such as myself but, I think older readers can love this book as well.  

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,354
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

My review today is Alexander Scott's The mysterious case of Doctor Octavius Plum's Incredible Ever After Machine.  Yes, very long title but the book is very well written.  

 

Siblings Jennifer and Timothy are on their holiday break for Christmas time and, they were going to spend their time at their Grandfather's home, Dr. Plum.  However once they arrive they discover that their Grandfather has gone missing and a creepy pirate captain has taken over the home.  Captain Crinkley puts the children to work, Jennifer to do cleaning in the house with the maid, and Timothy to dig up skeletons of the Captain's crew.  Which these bones that are dug up begin to become alive again.  Jennifer uses her time to investigate the house and discovers that her Grandfather who is an inventor built a machine called the Ever After Machine.  Instead of telling you what the machine does I will leave you to find out on your own when you read the book.  

 

I loved this book and being that this is a Pubit title at 99 cents it's a bargain as well.  I also read Mr.. Scott's other book he has out called Wizard Heights, I reviewed it in an earlier post on this site.  

 

 

 

 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

 


shadowcat80 wrote:

My review today is Alexander Scott's The mysterious case of Doctor Octavius Plum's Incredible Ever After Machine.  Yes, very long title but the book is very well written.  

 

Siblings Jennifer and Timothy are on their holiday break for Christmas time and, they were going to spend their time at their Grandfather's home, Dr. Plum.  However once they arrive they discover that their Grandfather has gone missing and a creepy pirate captain has taken over the home.  Captain Crinkley puts the children to work, Jennifer to do cleaning in the house with the maid, and Timothy to dig up skeletons of the Captain's crew.  Which these bones that are dug up begin to become alive again.  Jennifer uses her time to investigate the house and discovers that her Grandfather who is an inventor built a machine called the Ever After Machine.  Instead of telling you what the machine does I will leave you to find out on your own when you read the book.  

 

I loved this book and being that this is a Pubit title at 99 cents it's a bargain as well.  I also read Mr.. Scott's other book he has out called Wizard Heights, I reviewed it in an earlier post on this site.  

 

 

 

 


 

Thanks Stepanie sounds like a winner. Is it a YA tittle?

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

I recently finished and reviewed our feature for October, I hope you will all love it as much as I did

here's the review

For

 

 

Outlaw 

 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/05/review-of-outlaw-by-angus-donald.html

Author
MarilynBrant33
Posts: 132
Registered: ‎08-27-2009
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Oh, Deb, I heard of this book just recently -- Outlaw! It involves the Robin Hood story, right? I'm going to check out your review tonight :smileywink:.

 

A few weeks ago, I finished reading Melissa Senate's latest novel, The Love Goddess' Cooking School, and I really enjoyed it. It's a lovely, hopeful story and has some *great* Italian recipes included, too! Perhaps some others here have read it already?

 

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Love-Goddess-Cooking-School/Melissa-Senate/e/9781439107232/?itm...

 

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
Posts: 270
Registered: ‎02-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Hi Marilyn!:smileyhappy: It's nice to see you back here! I hope all is going well for you and your family!

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

 


MarilynBrant wrote:

Oh, Deb, I heard of this book just recently -- Outlaw! It involves the Robin Hood story, right? I'm going to check out your review tonight :smileywink:.

 

A few weeks ago, I finished reading Melissa Senate's latest novel, The Love Goddess' Cooking School, and I really enjoyed it. It's a lovely, hopeful story and has some *great* Italian recipes included, too! Perhaps some others here have read it already?

 

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Love-Goddess-Cooking-School/Melissa-Senate/e/9781439107232/?itm...

 


 

yes Marilyn it is, I read your response on my blog and I hope your hubby likes it.

The book you're reading looks really good and I love the word hopeful you used to describe it, ah yet another book to discover.

Thanks for visiting and I mirror Andreea's wishes that you and yours are well.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,354
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Yes Deb, it's a YA title, but I think any age would enjoy the book.  Oh and thank you for reviewing Outlaw, I saw in another post somewhere you said it be featured in october and got excited for it, now I am even more excited for Outlaw.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Author
MarilynBrant33
Posts: 132
Registered: ‎08-27-2009
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Andreea wrote:

Hi Marilyn!:smileyhappy: It's nice to see you back here! I hope all is going well for you and your family!

 

Hi, Andreea!!! *waving* It's so nice to see you, too :smileywink:. I don't know where April went. I looked up from work, glanced at the calendar and was shocked to see it was already May... Hope things are going well for you and yours also!

 

Deb wrote:

yes Marilyn it is, I read your response on my blog and I hope your hubby likes it.

The book you're reading looks really good and I love the word hopeful you used to describe it, ah yet another book to discover.

Thanks for visiting and I mirror Andreea's wishes that you and yours are well.

 

Deb, I told him about the book this morning, and I'm sure he'll want to give Outlaw a try. I'm curious about it myself now :smileyhappy:. And thank you for the good wishes! I hope everyone in your family is healthy and happy, too.


Wishing all mother's reading this a wonderful Mother's Day this weekend!

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,354
Registered: ‎12-25-2010

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

My review today is for 

 

 

 

Countdown 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Earth is in greatest peril ever, and Darkseid one of the most evil characters from the DC Universe is coming to take over the world.  "This looks like a job for..." Jimmy Olsen?  Not who you thought I would say I bet.  In Countdown, the Daily Planet's likeable photographer has to save the world from Darkseid's plans to use a weapon that will diminish the defenses of Earth and make us helpless to him.  Fortunately for Jimmy he has mysterious gotten some powers which he can't truly control but is an ability to copy other powers from other heroes. The super speed of Flash, the flexibility of Plasticman, invisibility and much more.  With the main heroes of DC Universe busy elsewhere it is up to Jimmy and few other lesser known heroes to save the world.  Jason Todd, Donna Troy, and Mary Marvel as well.  I loved this novel.    

 

 

 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Thanks Stephanie, Countdown looks good, great review
Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
Posts: 270
Registered: ‎02-04-2011
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

I finished a few days ago:

 

The Pure Landby Alan Spence(Paperback)  

 

 This is what I wrote for the review:  

 

 Thomas Glover,a young boy in his teens is given the opportunity to cross the world and become part of the trading world in Japan. The story takes places in 1800s, when traveling across the ocean takes months at a time and when the trading business between continents is still dominated by hostility and old regimes. Determined to go beyond his little home town, he accepts the offer and embarks on a journey that will forever change not only his and his family's life but the life of entire nations. Soon after he sets foot in Japan, he becomes a respected individual in the trading business and his courage and determination to help Japan take full advantage of its potential eventually lead to the overthrow of Shogun. Glover leads Japan to a position of power: building their own ships and exploiting their own natural resources. But in spite of his success and financial gain in the business world, Tom Glover's personal life is dominated by uncertainty and pain. His love affairs have unexpected outcomes that will change the course of his life in as much of a drastic way as any other decision that he makes. This is a remarkable true story that is full of action, passion, love and exotism. I enjoyed it to the fullest and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in getting a better understanding of many aspects related to Japan's development as well as those who enjoy tumultuous love stories.

For some reason when I wrote the review it didn't let me give detailed ratings and I wonder if this is something new that has to do with the changes on b&n website...

 

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

Might have to put this one on my TBR list.

 

Reader 4
stacy_wice
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎12-20-2010
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Blood Spells

dhaupt I agree with what you said regarding the paranormal/urban genre. I have found many books that have peeked my attention and I find my self lost in their world unable to put the book down!! lol...this looks like an interesting read..i think im gonna check into it. I love love love kim harrison (rachel morgan series).  I am really enjoying finding new authors, growing up I always read dean koontz and I am finding so many authors now that I just love, and I have realized the difference in writing styles...thanks for the recommendation (:

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

The Pure Landby Alan Spence(Paperback)  

 

Andreea, very beautifully written review, I agree with pj something to consider for my pile

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Blood Spells


stacy_wice wrote:

dhaupt I agree with what you said regarding the paranormal/urban genre. I have found many books that have peeked my attention and I find my self lost in their world unable to put the book down!! lol...this looks like an interesting read..i think im gonna check into it. I love love love kim harrison (rachel morgan series).  I am really enjoying finding new authors, growing up I always read dean koontz and I am finding so many authors now that I just love, and I have realized the difference in writing styles...thanks for the recommendation (:


Hi stacy, thanks for posting. Were you referring to

Darkfire Kiss (Dragonfire Series #6)  

 

because if you're interested I am featuring the first in this series right here for our September read - it's called

Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire Series #1)  

 

I'd love if you joined us.

 

I hope to see more of you here.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- Blood Spells

The Poker Bride A disappointing 2.5 stars. I give it the nearly 3 stars based on research alone, however I was very disappointed with the organization, editing, and general misleading-ness (I know that's not a real word) but i fits) of the title and synopsis.  From the title, we are led to believe that this will be a book about Polly Bemis, a Chinese immigrant sold into prostitution in the 1800s amidst the great gold rush in California.  Unfortunately, we hear very little of Polly's story. Being misled by titles and book jackets are a major pet peeve of mine and often times my disappointment is hard to get past. Although the author does provide some interesting facts and insights into the plight of the Chinese during this time, the organization of his work falls short and is often repetitive. He does attempt to incorporate Polly's life into his research occassionall but it is really too far and few between other facts. Other parts seem unnecessary. It's as if he is trying to find any place to put every tidbit he's discovered in his research. Still, I wouldn't say it isn't an invaluable read based on the information alone, just not the best read.