Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

dhaupt wrote:

Scroll down and see who made the best list

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-2244099/Good-time-girls-sexy-beasts-real-rotters.html

Bereft!  Exciting!

There are a couple of books on this list on my TBR list.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Best books of 2012 list is out

dhaupt wrote:

I'm looking forward to reading these with everyone in 2013!  Thanks, Debbie!

Laura

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

I'm looking forward to reading these with everyone in 2013!  Thanks, Debbie!

I'm so excited you'll be joining us for these and maybe a few more :smileyhappy:

thank you Laura for all your support on the forum.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Pursuit of Other Interests

I really enjoy Kokoris' quirky characters. Hopefully this one wion't disappoint. 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

The Pursuit of Other Interests

I really enjoy Kokoris' quirky characters. Hopefully this one wion't disappoint. 

you'll have to let us know pj :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re:The Best Man by Kristan Higgins

The Best Man  

Is it true you can never go home again- here's a novel that prooves you can, it also gives you a laugh a minute in between the sobs.

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-of-best-man-by-kristan-higgins.html

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Journey From Darkness by Gareth Crocker

Here's my review of Gareth's newest novel

Journey from Darkness  

He'll be with us in November when I feature it.

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2013/01/review-of-journey-from-darkness-by.html

Wordsmith
Fozzie

The Twelve Tribes of Hattie (Oprah's Book Club 2.0)  

The story of Hattie and her family, told in episodic chapters, is beautifully written.  The stories told are varied, but each is powerful in its own way.  The author did not gloss anything over in the stories she told, which often left this reader feeling uncomfortable, but necessarily so.  The book is a “soft” history lesson in the history of black experiences in this country during the 20th century, and it is within this bigger context that the book can truly be appreciated.

Room  

As one reviewer said, “Be warned:  once you enter, you’ll be [the author’s] willing prisoner right down to the last page.”  True!  I read this book in two days!  It is spellbinding in its voice, in its sense of urgency, and in its ability to grip the reader in the story.  It is very original and worthy of all the praise it has received.

Laura

dhaupt

Fozzie wrote:

The story of Hattie and her family, told in episodic chapters, is beautifully written.  The stories told are varied, but each is powerful in its own way.  The author did not gloss anything over in the stories she told, which often left this reader feeling uncomfortable, but necessarily so.  The book is a “soft” history lesson in the history of black experiences in this country during the 20th century, and it is within this bigger context that the book can truly be appreciated.

Room  

As one reviewer said, “Be warned:  once you enter, you’ll be [the author’s] willing prisoner right down to the last page.”  True!  I read this book in two days!  It is spellbinding in its voice, in its sense of urgency, and in its ability to grip the reader in the story.  It is very original and worthy of all the praise it has received.

Thaks Laura, I've been wanting to read Room, but I have to admit I've been afraid.

thanks for you recommendations

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

Thanks Laura ,The Twelve Tribes of Hattie sounds Wonderful..I pinned it..Must Agree With Deb..Wish I could read Room...But too Scary/Claustrophobic...Too Bad I have that fear, but can Fly anywhere...But one never knows...Right Deb?
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:
Thanks Laura ,The Twelve Tribes of Hattie sounds Wonderful..I pinned it..Must Agree With Deb..Wish I could read Room...But too Scary/Claustrophobic...Too Bad I have that fear, but can Fly anywhere...But one never knows...Right Deb?

Hi VT, thanks for the visit and the comment :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fozzie wrote:

Room  

Thanks for the review of The Twelve Tribes of Hattie. I have it on my nook and have been waiting for a break between books to start it. Glad to know it's worth the wait.

April
Inspired Contributor
j-91
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I just finished readed the debut novel of Maegan Beaumont, Carved in Darkness. It is a fantastic debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Make sure to check out my review at Blood Rose Books and pick up the book when it comes out on May 8.

Cheers

Carved in Darkness 

Proud to be a Bookworm :smileyhappy:

http://j9books.blogspot.com/
dhaupt
0 Kudos

j-91 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I just finished readed the debut novel of Maegan Beaumont, Carved in Darkness. It is a fantastic debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Make sure to check out my review at Blood Rose Books and pick up the book when it comes out on May 8.

Cheers

Carved in Darkness 

Thanks for the recommend

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I know this is a nonfiction book, but since we don't really have a board for that anymore, I wanted to recommend this one here.  For anyone who is a fan of American history or folklore, this look at Davy Crockett by trying to track his movements was fascinating and informative.

If you check out my review, there is a giveaway involved as well.

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2013/04/born-on-moutain-top-on-road-with-davy.html

Born on a Mountaintop  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

I know this is a nonfiction book, but since we don't really have a board for that anymore, I wanted to recommend this one here.  For anyone who is a fan of American history or folklore, this look at Davy Crockett by trying to track his movements was fascinating and informative.

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com/2013/04/born-on-moutain-top-on-road-with-davy.html

Born on a Mountaintop  

Thanks Ryan even those of us who prefer fiction over non who can resist a look at a historical figure like Davy

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick

dhaupt wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Born on a Mountaintop  

Thanks Ryan even those of us who prefer fiction over non who can resist a look at a historical figure like Davy

Crap, now I know what song is going to be going through my head for the next 24 hours. Thanks, Ryan. LOL!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

LOL.... You are most welcome!

pjpick wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Born on a Mountaintop  

Crap, now I know what song is going to be going through my head for the next 24 hours. Thanks, Ryan. LOL!

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
dhaupt

pjpick wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Born on a Mountaintop  

Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the wild frontier :smileyhappy: