Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed

A_G_D wrote:

I know :smileyhappy: I already finished 100 pages [The Girl Who Played with Fire]  and can't stop reading! Work lunches, half an hour before the class starts, half an hour before I go to bed..

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy Series #3)  by Stieg Larsson

Does anyone know if the third movie is available yet?  I haven't gone looking.

This may be the only book I have ever pre-ordered.  We kept trying to find someone to bring us back a copy from Europe, but they just didn't comprehend our enthusiasm.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

A_G_D wrote:

I know :smileyhappy: I already finished 100 pages [The Girl Who Played with Fire]  and can't stop reading! Work lunches, half an hour before the class starts, half an hour before I go to bed..

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (Millennium Trilogy Series #3)  by Stieg Larsson

This may be the only book I have ever pre-ordered.  We kept trying to find someone to bring us back a copy from Europe, but they just didn't comprehend our enthusiasm.

I recall seeing it at a redbox about a month ago. I couldn't believe it was already out on disc.

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Yes it's available on DVD but I didn't even look for it..I need to finish the books first:smileyhappy: You know how when you read you imagine the characters looking a certain way? :smileyhappy: I'm afraid that if I see which actors they chose for the movie it will distort my image...:smileyhappy:

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Thx for your replies.  I'll have to go looking.

( I found the first one particularly tough to watch.  But I do like the actors who play the various characters.)

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
A_G_D
0 Kudos

I can imagine why certain scenes were hard to watch..There were parts in the first book that I wish weren't described in so much detail but then again..It's all part of the writing style and what makes it a good book I think..

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
dhaupt
0 Kudos

I read and reviewed a wonderful novel that will be our May featured read

Finding Jack 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-of-finding-jack-by-gareth.html

enjoy

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

A Child al Confino  I had this on My TBR..Then last Friday Jeremy had it on Free Fridays..So I dnloaded it ,,Italy WW2..Its a Memoir.and I had no idea about the Jewish situation in WW2.in Italy..I have  read many books on The Holocaust,but Eric Lamet's account as told by him as a child in very rural parts of Italy,living with his mother..And being welcomed ..Its just a wonderful book so far..A real learning experience for me...I am not finished with "A Child al Confino",will post again when I am...I am halfway into the book...All could change....Susan

I downloaded this one too Susan, thanks for the great report on it. Now It'll go to the top of the list

I also downloaded this.  Am looking forward to reading it - extra bonus that it was free!

Barb

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

babzilla41 wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Vermontcozy wrote:

A Child al Confino  I had this on My TBR..Then last Friday Jeremy had it on Free Fridays..So I dnloaded it ,,Italy WW2..Its a Memoir.and I had no idea about the Jewish situation in WW2.in Italy..I have  read many books on The Holocaust,but Eric Lamet's account as told by him as a child in very rural parts of Italy,living with his mother..And being welcomed ..Its just a wonderful book so far..A real learning experience for me...I am not finished with "A Child al Confino",will post again when I am...I am halfway into the book...All could change....Susan

I downloaded this one too Susan, thanks for the great report on it. Now It'll go to the top of the list

I also downloaded this.  Am looking forward to reading it - extra bonus that it was free!

Barb

So Glad you are both reading or will read "A Child al Confino" Will look to for your posts and your thoughts..Susan

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Trial  Hi Again I have Book  that I received as an ARC.."The Trial"Author Larry D,Thompson..I am reading it and so far..It is a Edge of Seat.,.and very Gender Friendly..I like books with an insiders view of all that occurs in Our Criminal Justice System"...A Thriller for sure!!! Rel Date 3/29..Have a Look...No disappointment here.....Susan

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Vermontcozy wrote:

The Trial  Hi Again I have Book  that I received as an ARC.."The Trial"Author Larry D,Thompson..I am reading it and so far..It is a Edge of Seat.,.and very Gender Friendly..I like books with an insiders view of all that occurs in Our Criminal Justice System"...A Thriller for sure!!! Rel Date 3/29..Have a Look...No disappointment here.....Susan

Thanks Susan, this looks like one that will appeal to many and me for sure. I'll be looking for it.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

I just got through reading The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard.

I read this on the suggestion of another online bookclub, and was pleasantly surprised.  Granted, it wasn't a "hard sell", as I had actually picked up the book the week before at my local BN, contemplating whether I would like it.  The group read was incentive enough to out there and purchase it.

I don't want to fill this with spoilers, but the ending of this murder mystery just might surprise you.  I had changed my mind a couple of times through the volume, and still ended up raising my eyebrows at the end.  The way that Picard justiposed the symbols of rain and lightning opposite the concepts of revenge and forgiveness was very well done, and added immensely to the story.  Life is rarely simple and clean cut; this was a good reflection of that.

A_G_D
0 Kudos

Susan, this one sounds very interesting! Thanks for suggesting it! It actually reminded me of another one that I read as part of an assignment in one of my Criminal Justice classes in college. It's called:

Courtroom 302 by Steve Bogira: Book Cover

It is non-fiction though and it describes one year in the system of Chicago's Cook County Criminal Courthouse  from the eyes of those who experience it both in the courtroom as well as in the lockup, the jury room and so on..I remember I enjoyed it because it brings light on a lot of behind the scenes issues.

Andreea
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Runnergirl77 wrote:

I just got through reading The Scent of Rain and Lightning by Nancy Pickard.

I read this on the suggestion of another online bookclub, and was pleasantly surprised.  Granted, it wasn't a "hard sell", as I had actually picked up the book the week before at my local BN, contemplating whether I would like it.  The group read was incentive enough to out there and purchase it.

I don't want to fill this with spoilers, but the ending of this murder mystery just might surprise you.  I had changed my mind a couple of times through the volume, and still ended up raising my eyebrows at the end.  The way that Picard justiposed the symbols of rain and lightning opposite the concepts of revenge and forgiveness was very well done, and added immensely to the story.  Life is rarely simple and clean cut; this was a good reflection of that.

Thanks for the recommendation, I have read other novels by this author and have enjoyed them. Another one for the pile

dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

Susan, this one sounds very interesting! Thanks for suggesting it! It actually reminded me of another one that I read as part of an assignment in one of my Criminal Justice classes in college. It's called:

Courtroom 302 by Steve Bogira: Book Cover

It is non-fiction though and it describes one year in the system of Chicago's Cook County Criminal Courthouse  from the eyes of those who experience it both in the courtroom as well as in the lockup, the jury room and so on..I remember I enjoyed it because it brings light on a lot of behind the scenes issues.

Thanks Andrea, did it read more like a text book or did it have the feel of a novel. It looks very interesting.

A_G_D
0 Kudos

Oh no not like a texbook at all! It was very interesting! It's real stories of people caught up in the justice system. My professor for that class is a prosecutor so this book was one of the options for our end of the semester assignment. By the way, I am not a criminal justice major but I've always enjoyed forensics and crime shows. Law and order is on the top of my list :smileyhappy: 

Andreea
A_G_D
0 Kudos

I finished this one a few days ago..Loved it, loved it, loved it!!! :smileyhappy: This is what I wrote about it:
"I could not put this one down! The action, the characters, the twists and turns...They all made up for a really good book! Lisbeth Salander is such a great character!! I love her personality, her determination and her courage to stand against anyone who breaks the law and especially who wants to harm her. This second novel follows her story from the first book "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and reveals a lot more about her past. It also explains the reasons why she is such an introverted individual while at the same time surprinsing the reader with the revelation! I highly recommend the book to anyone who's been postponing reading this series!"

I didn't write too much since I feel like I am a little too late reading it but nevertheless had to say something :smileyhappy:
Andreea
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's another must read, it looks like 2011 is going to be a bumper crop year of great novels

Emily and Einstein 

It is a must read for all of you out there who "believe"

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/02/review-of-emily-and-einstein-by-linda.html

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

The Trial  I finished "The Trial"..I could not put it down..It was so methodical..Not a wasted word or sentence.....I was in The Courtroom..thats how close it became.to me....And because a Texas Attorney has more up his sleeve then any High Powered 'Cosmopolitan" Attorney does..Lets just say..It was Wonderful...I hope Andreea, you get to read it.,considering"Your Criminal Justice Classes......Debbie..as well..It just pulls you in...First you are having Iced Tea on the Porch...in a Small Quaint Texas Town....Very well developed Characters.,Scenery......Thank you Larry..I look Forward to your Next Book...This would make a Great Series ... Susan...

shadowcat80

[ Edited ]

I just finished a book called wizard heights.  It's a funny and fast paced book for younger readers that adults will also enjoy as well.  It's about a retirement home for wizards called wizard heights.  It's center around a kid named Charlie whose family just recently moved to the area.  It has really funny parts.  My only issue with the book is that I wished it had been a bit longer, but I don't mean that to put it down, it was good and I want more.  The author Alexander Scott has said he is working on more wizard heights books for the future.  Add the fact this is .99 cents for download it's a good value

Wizard Heights Book 1 

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
A_G_D
0 Kudos

The Trial  I finished "The Trial"..I could not put it down..It was so methodical..Not a wasted word or sentence.....I was in The Courtroom..thats how close it became.to me....And because a Texas Attorney has more up his sleeve then any High Powered 'Cosmopolitan" Attorney does..Lets just say..It was Wonderful...I hope Andreea, you get to read it.,considering"Your Criminal Justice Classes......Debbie..as well..It just pulls you in...First you are having Iced Tea on the Porch...in a Small Quaint Texas Town....Very well developed Characters.,Scenery......Thank you Larry..I look Forward to your Next Book...This would make a Great Series ... Susan...

It's on my "Future Reads" list Susan! :smileyhappy:

Andreea