Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

New Recommended and or Reviewed

Hi everyone, it was recommended to me to start a new thread to tell our members not just what you're reading, but what really sticks with you as a special read, something you would want to recommend to other readers.

And even better if you want to review it and share that here.

So get to it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: New Recommended and or Reviewed- The Wake of Forgiveness

I guess I'll be the first to dip my toes

This was the September First Look selection - and even though it was a hard story to read, it was written well and the narrative was outstanding, the characters good, well let my review speak for itself.

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1452100

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Indian Creek Chronicles  One of my favorite non-fiction recommendations. Even if you aren't into nature stuff it is still a fantastic read.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Indian Creek Chronicles  One of my favorite non-fiction recommendations. Even if you aren't into nature stuff it is still a fantastic read.

Thanks, this one looks good

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Recommended - Indian Creek Chronicles - Non Fiction

pjpick wrote:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Recommended - Indian Creek Chronicles - Non Fiction

KathyS wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Thanks for putting the header right Kathy, that's one thing I'm terrible at remembering, but I'm trying

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Recommended - Indian Creek Chronicles - Non Fiction

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Thanks for putting the header right Kathy, that's one thing I'm terrible at remembering, but I'm trying

No problem, Deb. I see you are trying, and I appreciate that more than anything!  It's just out of habit that I change the headers as I read the posts, nothing personal, for my own easy referencing.  :smileyhappy: 

Thanks for starting this new thread!  I do love to hear about these books in reviews, that you and other readers can give us.  I rarely write reviews, but when I do, I'll certainly post it here.  Keep up the good work!

Kathy

Contributor
Monarch63
0 Kudos

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Power novel of an American couple's struggle through life.

Bob
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Freedom by Jonathan Franzen

Freedom 

Monarch63 wrote:

Power novel of an American couple's struggle through life.

Bob, tell us why you liked it

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Whiskey Rebels  Here's another one I enjoyed with a link to my BN profile review (hope it works--I wasn't able to copy and paste the whole review here).

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Reviews.aspx?reviewid=1207530&pagestart=&sort=

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

The Whiskey Rebels  Here's another one I enjoyed with a link to my BN profile review (hope it works--I wasn't able to copy and paste the whole review here).

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/Reviews.aspx?reviewid=1207530&pagestart=&sort=

pjpick - Interesting review - I think I'll pick this up. Thanks...

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

It worked just fine pj, thanks and it was a great review!!!

KathyS
0 Kudos

The Whiskey Rebels - Review

pjpick wrote:

Contributor
Monarch63
0 Kudos

The development of each character into separate chapters keeps the reader involved in the different twists of the novel.  Separate character development was necessary in order to understand the each characters individualistic flaws, of which there are many; while at the same time, a tapestry is woven that results in a complex "quilt" of contemporary America.  This "quilt" is not the total reflection of our society, however, it does reflect a significant portion.  It is interesting that the characters are devoid of any moral self introspection only the occasional self reflection but still void of any moral reflection.  There is an abundance of running away from reality while running to gain some true self-fulfillment that very often destroys the loose facade of each character.  The end of the novel, with the abandoned gutted house and over-grown land, is to me a metaphor for the empty shell of the characters. 

Bob
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Monarch63 wrote:

The development of each character into separate chapters keeps the reader involved in the different twists of the novel.  Separate character development was necessary in order to understand the each characters individualistic flaws, of which there are many; while at the same time, a tapestry is woven that results in a complex "quilt" of contemporary America.  This "quilt" is not the total reflection of our society, however, it does reflect a significant portion.  It is interesting that the characters are devoid of any moral self introspection only the occasional self reflection but still void of any moral reflection.  There is an abundance of running away from reality while running to gain some true self-fulfillment that very often destroys the loose facade of each character.  The end of the novel, with the abandoned gutted house and over-grown land, is to me a metaphor for the empty shell of the characters. 

Freedom  by Jonathan Franzen

Bob -- in your opinion, is Freedom worthy of the hype it has received?

Did you read The Corrections?  If so, any comment on the comparative "quality" of the two books that you would make?

(The Corrections I own, and it is among my TBR.  Haven't decided whether to be au courant and indulge in this one or to wait for the discounts or a used copy next year.)

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Monarch63 wrote:

Did you read The Corrections?  If so, any comment on the comparative "quality" of the two books that you would make?

(The Corrections I own, and it is among my TBR.  Haven't decided whether to be au courant and indulge in this one or to wait for the discounts or a used copy next year.)

Pepper

One thing I heard as a comparison between his two novels was that The Corrections is a satire, but Freedom is not.  The Corrections is still in my TBR pile, but I am about to start Freedom.  I don't care for satire, so I am guessing I will like Freedom better.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Monarch63 wrote:

Pepper

One thing I heard as a comparison between his two novels was that The Corrections is a satire, but Freedom is not.  The Corrections is still in my TBR pile, but I am about to start Freedom.  I don't care for satire, so I am guessing I will like Freedom better.

Pepper, thanks for the question you in fact asked it before I could.

And Fozzie let us know if you like The Corrections.

I didn't care for The Corrections so have been reluctant to get Freedom and I really rely heavily on friends recommendations much more than on "expert" reviews.

Contributor
Monarch63
0 Kudos

The shere thought process and the mechanics of Freedom are reasons to read this compelling  book.  Mr. Franzen is an author to be read from that standpoint.  I haven't read any other of his books but I may read The Corrections later in the fall season.  Please excuse any typos as I have a cast on my right hand.  To tell you the truth if I had known Freedom was on Oprah's book list I would passed it by. But I heard that the author was upset that it was and Oprah pulled the book.  Not sure of my facts since I am not a fan of Oprah's book club, it's a male thing.

Bob
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Monarch63 wrote:

The shere thought process and the mechanics of Freedom are reasons to read this compelling  book.  Mr. Franzen is an author to be read from that standpoint.  I haven't read any other of his books but I may read The Corrections later in the fall season.  Please excuse any typos as I have a cast on my right hand.  To tell you the truth if I had known Freedom was on Oprah's book list I would passed it by. But I heard that the author was upset that it was and Oprah pulled the book.  Not sure of my facts since I am not a fan of Oprah's book club, it's a male thing.

Bob, sorry about the cast. It's not a male thing I'm not a fan of the O book club picks either.

Thanks for your thoughts on Freedom

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re:The Wake of Forgiveness by Bruce Machart

Here's my next recommendation it's our last adult first look

The Wake of Forgiveness 

here's my review

http://my.barnesandnoble.com/communityportal/review.aspx?reviewid=1452100