Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

Kayla,

 

At the moment, I have just an inexpensive Nokia.  Small numbers, and minute letters...I need a magnifying glass to read them!

 

Holy crap, I just looked out my slider door, and saw the biggest crow on my shed, I've ever seen!  Or was it a Raven?  I've never seen one before... this up close and personal!  That thing was bigger than a cat on its hind legs!

 

Okay, what was I saying?  I bought this Nokia as a temporary phone, because after I was put on my daughter's plan, I had expected to upgrade when it became available...but I just hadn't gotten around to it....and now I'll get her Blackberry, and we'll see how that works.  I can still upgrade, if I don't like her phone.  I can't see why I shouldn't, though.  I also can't see spending money on a ton of features I may not use.  The only good thing about my Nokia is, for some reason I can get reception where/where some of these more expensive phones can't.

 

All I've really wanted is a phone that has a standard keyboard feature, and this Blackberry will have that. My one daughter works in a hospital, all different days and hours....and using a phone, calling and receiving calls, is a no, no...but I can leave her a text message.  I usually just say, "wassup".  I tell her, I can't write much more than that...and it's just my way of letting her know I'm thinking about her....and to let her know her mother is still breathing!  :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

 

KathyS wrote:

My daughter, Karen, just got an iphone...I hadn't known it, and yesterday I called her...her first call, and she couldn't answer it right away, because it took her a few seconds to figure it out!  Ha!  I've been procrastinating on upgrading my phone.  I had wanted a Blackberry, now Karen is giving me hers!  It seems funny for her to upgrade to an iphone, since she's so electronically challenged!  But, she has all of the new-fangled machines, except ebooks.  I'm actually interested in the new ipad.  I do feel the need to inspect this thing.  If I can put it in my lap, and type on it....hmm.  Even though I put my keyboard in my lap, I still have to turn on my computer...then  I get tempted to come here and expound on all of this....and there goes my day!  :smileyhappy:

 

I was watching the news last night, and I caught something that was interesting.  Kids text more than email, because they feel that emailing is too formal, impersonal.  What about calling, or face to face conversations?...texting, to me, seems impersonal, far more so than emails.  But, I'm not a kid, and what do I know?  lol

 

Now, I'll be able to text my kids, and not get a major cramp in my thumbs, spending 15 minutes just trying to find the darn letters!  Usually, by the time I get three words spelled out, they've already sent me two more text messages!  Wait!  Hold on!  I tell them.

 

 

Kathy I demoed one this weekend. VERY tempting. Family discussion about rigging one for the living room once they get cheeper. Type or swipe all you need is just a gental touch. But it's early yet. There's local hulabaloo about getting them banned in schools and some public areas.

 

Oh and speaking of texting. Anyone seen the new American medical report on how texting is more addictive that tobacco to the human brain?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

 

KathyS wrote:

Kayla,

 

At the moment, I have just an inexpensive Nokia.  Small numbers, and minute letters...I need a magnifying glass to read them!

 

Holy crap, I just looked out my slider door, and saw the biggest crow on my shed, I've ever seen!  Or was it a Raven?  I've never seen one before... this up close and personal!  That thing was bigger than a cat on its hind legs!

 

Okay, what was I saying?  I bought this Nokia as a temporary phone, because after I was put on my daughter's plan, I had expected to upgrade when it became available...but I just hadn't gotten around to it....and now I'll get her Blackberry, and we'll see how that works.  I can still upgrade, if I don't like her phone.  I can't see why I shouldn't, though.  I also can't see spending money on a ton of features I may not use.  The only good thing about my Nokia is, for some reason I can get reception where/where some of these more expensive phones can't.

 

All I've really wanted is a phone that has a standard keyboard feature, and this Blackberry will have that. My one daughter works in a hospital, all different days and hours....and using a phone, calling and receiving calls, is a no, no...but I can leave her a text message.  I usually just say, "wassup".  I tell her, I can't write much more than that...and it's just my way of letting her know I'm thinking about her....and to let her know her mother is still breathing!  :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

That size.. Raven defiantly.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

TiggerBear wrote:

  

That size.. Raven defiantly.

 

Thanks, Tigger.  Sad to say, I don't know a Crow from a Raven....but that thing was scary, it was so big!  In all my life, I've never seen a black bird that big!  All I could think about was Poe's Lenore!  Ha!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

 

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

That size.. Raven defiantly.

 

Thanks, Tigger.  Sad to say, I don't know a Crow from a Raven....but that thing was scary, it was so big!  In all my life, I've never seen a black bird that big!  All I could think about was Poe's Lenore!  Ha!

 

Good rule of thumb for telling between. Crows get to the size of a large bluebird. Ravens get nearly the size of an eagle.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

TiggerBear wrote:

 

Kathy I demoed one this weekend. VERY tempting. Family discussion about rigging one for the living room once they get cheeper. Type or swipe all you need is just a gental touch. But it's early yet. There's local hulabaloo about getting them banned in schools and some public areas.

 

Oh and speaking of texting. Anyone seen the new American medical report on how texting is more addictive that tobacco to the human brain?

Are you talking about the ipad?  That's cool, you got to try one out. I'm just imagining having one.....:smileyhappy:  I don't know what the cost is, but I'm sure it's up there....and eventually come down.  Why would they be banned?  Did they say?

 

Yes, I can imagine the additive part to texting....the news mentioned how many text people send a day...it's in outer space!  It's so rediculous.   Why is it that the brain craves this?  Psychological additions are scary.  :smileysad:

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

 

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

Kathy I demoed one this weekend. VERY tempting. Family discussion about rigging one for the living room once they get cheeper. Type or swipe all you need is just a gental touch. But it's early yet. There's local hulabaloo about getting them banned in schools and some public areas.

 

Oh and speaking of texting. Anyone seen the new American medical report on how texting is more addictive that tobacco to the human brain?

Are you talking about the ipad?  That's cool, you got to try one out. I'm just imagining having one.....:smileyhappy:  I don't know what the cost is, but I'm sure it's up there....and eventually come down.  Why would they be banned?  Did they say?

 

Yes, I can imagine the additive part to texting....the news mentioned how many text people send a day...it's in outer space!  It's so rediculous.   Why is it that the brain craves this?  Psychological additions are scary.  :smileysad:

 

Yes the Ipad. A retail around 700 though that should really come down by Christmas. Well they link up in 2 seconds to the internet. The worry is students will use them to cheat. And aparently some state congress dude fears they be used to bypass security features. I think it more hype than anything, just because they more quickly do things other devices already do doesn't make them more a security breach.

 

 

As much as I could follow. Something to do with impluse gratification and nural pathways.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

TiggerBear wrote:

 

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

That size.. Raven defiantly.

 

Thanks, Tigger.  Sad to say, I don't know a Crow from a Raven....but that thing was scary, it was so big!  In all my life, I've never seen a black bird that big!  All I could think about was Poe's Lenore!  Ha!

 

Good rule of thumb for telling between. Crows get to the size of a large bluebird. Ravens get nearly the size of an eagle.

 

Okay, this thing was bigger than a bread box!  :smileyvery-happy:  Yes, the size of an eagle!

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
Posts: 503
Registered: ‎04-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

 

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

That size.. Raven defiantly.

 

Thanks, Tigger.  Sad to say, I don't know a Crow from a Raven....but that thing was scary, it was so big!  In all my life, I've never seen a black bird that big!  All I could think about was Poe's Lenore!  Ha!

 

Good rule of thumb for telling between. Crows get to the size of a large bluebird. Ravens get nearly the size of an eagle.

 

Okay, this thing was bigger than a bread box!  :smileyvery-happy:  Yes, the size of an eagle!

 

 

I've never seen a Raven in real life before but the other day a hawk came swooping down in my backyard and scared the crap out of me! I don't know the size comparison with a Raven and a Hawk but the Hawk really freaked me out!

 

Kayla

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

Things swooping sounds scary!

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

  

I've never seen a Raven in real life before but the other day a hawk came swooping down in my backyard and scared the crap out of me! I don't know the size comparison with a Raven and a Hawk but the Hawk really freaked me out!

 

Kayla

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
Posts: 9,489
Registered: ‎02-12-2008

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

 

KathyS wrote:

Things swooping sounds scary!

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

 

I've never seen a Raven in real life before but the other day a hawk came swooping down in my backyard and scared the crap out of me! I don't know the size comparison with a Raven and a Hawk but the Hawk really freaked me out!

 

Kayla

 

 

Ah remeber last year the hawk that sat perched on my mail box for 3 days, I mentioned in the old garden board? Had to chase the bloke away from my happy squirels. Well didn't get any mail those days either, mail lady totally freaked by him.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

TiggerBear wrote:

 

KathyS wrote:

Things swooping sounds scary!

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

 

I've never seen a Raven in real life before but the other day a hawk came swooping down in my backyard and scared the crap out of me! I don't know the size comparison with a Raven and a Hawk but the Hawk really freaked me out!

 

Kayla

 

 

Ah remeber last year the hawk that sat perched on my mail box for 3 days, I mentioned in the old garden board? Had to chase the bloke away from my happy squirels. Well didn't get any mail those days either, mail lady totally freaked by him.

 

I don't remember that one....sorry.  It was probably during my hotflashingdepresseddarkmoodantisocial period.  :smileyhappy:

But, I can see how that 'little birdy' would keep your mail from being delivered! 

Better than, Beware of Dog!

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
Posts: 503
Registered: ‎04-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?


KathyS wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

 

KathyS wrote:

Things swooping sounds scary!

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

 

I've never seen a Raven in real life before but the other day a hawk came swooping down in my backyard and scared the crap out of me! I don't know the size comparison with a Raven and a Hawk but the Hawk really freaked me out!

 

Kayla

 

 

Ah remeber last year the hawk that sat perched on my mail box for 3 days, I mentioned in the old garden board? Had to chase the bloke away from my happy squirels. Well didn't get any mail those days either, mail lady totally freaked by him.

 

I don't remember that one....sorry.  It was probably during my hotflashingdepresseddarkmoodantisocial period.  :smileyhappy:

But, I can see how that 'little birdy' would keep your mail from being delivered! 

Better than, Beware of Dog!

 

Yeah that 'little birdy' scared the crap out of me. Also scared the ducks nested in my yard... they wouldn't come out for two days :smileysad: It's bigger than my terrier I certainly wouldn't want her to get snatched by it.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎04-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

Wow, I wish I had said all that just that way.  People who love books, love books, and places that have books.  There's a book store in downtown Seattle that makes me smile just to think about it.  I live several hundred miles away but I can close my eyes and smell it. 

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

Pam, while your eyes are closed, think about all of those books as being a part of someone's memory.  Memories to share, to learn from, to enjoy.  Every single page, whether that book is deemed good, or bad, is part of someone's life, who wanted to share themselves with you.  That life can make you sad, happy;  make you laugh, or cry.  Once you've read those words, you've then become a part of their lives, as well.

 

It's good that you have such wonderful sensory perceptions.   Can you smell the Cappuccino I'm drinking right now?   :smileyhappy:

 

Kathy

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
Posts: 503
Registered: ‎04-04-2010

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

[ Edited ]

Each book I read and touch and smell shapes my life. Either it makes me think, makes me feel better when I'm down, or keeps me company. When I read a book I always imagine what the author was thinking when they wrote a certain line or created a character. I imagine what life events occured that inspired their work. I've always thought that books were like pictures: They contain a piece of the writers soul and each when I turn the page I feel that author feelings and think their thoughts, delving deeper into the soul.

 

Kayla

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Frequent Contributor
Cryogaijin
Posts: 48
Registered: ‎04-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

The NotionInk Adam is due out in July, and will be the first device out to run a Pixel Qi screen.  Currently they're estimating 160 hours of ebook reading in low power mode. 

 

For something that will display HD video as well as an ipad, and cost about the same, that is a HUGE plus. I am looking forward to its release with bated breath.


That said, I own a nook, and have since feb.  I used to be a VERY avid reader, but recently have found other things to occupy my time. (My reading dropped off as soon as I moved from my parent's house to my own apartment. Space is an issue) 

 

The nook changed that. I'm back up to my average reading of one novel every two days. I love it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

Kayla, beautifully said. 

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

Each book I read and touch and smell shapes my life. Either it makes me think, makes me feel better when I'm down, or keeps me company. When I read a book I always imagine what the author was thinking when they wrote a certain line or created a character. I imagine what life events occured that inspired their work. I've always thought that books were like pictures: They contain a piece of the writers soul and each when I turn the page I feel that author feelings and think their thoughts, delving deeper into the soul.

 

Kayla

 

 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

Cryo - I cannot wait for that Qi screen to come out.  I didn't know there was a product for it already.  I need to do some searching!

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
Posts: 42
Registered: ‎04-17-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

I LOVE my Nook. I have it with me 24/7.  I still buy the occasional "paper" book but I love the ability to determine if a title is available in e-format and price compare, on the spot.  I have a pretty small home so the Nook is a lifesaver when it comes to storage.  I just recently loaned a book to a friend for the first time.  It took a bit to figure out the logistics of that but it's pretty cool. 

 

I've seen several posts dealing with people interrupting your reading to inquire about the Nook.  I like to listen to music while I read.  I;ve discovered that if I have my ear buds in, even if not listening to music, folks have more of a tendency to leave me alone. 

 

As for not being backlit, I see that as a plus.  I can read outdoors in the bightest of sun, (my favorite thing) an have no problem with glare.  You can lay a Nook down to refill your beverage and the breeze doesn't turn the page.  You can fall asleep and not lose your page. 

 

I completely understand the emotional tug of a paper book, the smell, the weight, the art etc.  I get it, I really do.  That was the hardest part of my decision to purchase.  But I have to say I don't regret it for one single second. 

 

I would suggest you borrow a Nook if you're thinking about getting one but good luck getting anyone to part with theres.  :smileyhappy:

 

 

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.