Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

KathyS wrote:

I love holding something that I know is a real part of nature.  Yes,  we had to cut down some trees to get that book, but with recycalling, it can come back around.  I've explained my reasons for my love of the physical book, and it does just come down to those feelings.  Some people enjoy making notes in their books, referencing areas that can be looked at at some future time.  I can go back to my library shelf and pull out a book, during a discussion.  It doesn't have to be a book discussion, either.

I love to see libraries, because that's where you can bring your grandkids, like I have, and let them walk around all of these shelves of books; touch them; pick them up and see the colors of the covers and the pages filled with characters;  the excited looks on their faces when you tell them, "you can take that one home with you".   I remember exactly that, when I took my granddaughter to the library for the first time.  She was so excited!  My grandson was another story...he loved to knock the books onto the floor, and watch me pick them up!   That's my main concern, not having those experiences.  But people who buy eBooks, as we've talked about, have limited space, or money to purchase books, or they travel and need these books to read while away, etc.  Tons of reasons later.

I grew up in the world of technology. I had my first computer when I was 10 and my first cell phone when I was 11, and even though I had all of these things they don't mean nearly as much to me as my books.

To me, technology becomes outdated and you have to keep upgrading in order to keep up, but when I walk into the library or bookstore I can pick up a copy Chaucer, or Poe and even though the cover may look different and an introduction may have been added, it's still the same content.

Not only that, but books have a special place in my heart. It wasn't easy for me to make friends and I turned to books because I knew they'd always be there and I could relate to them unlike the kids in my class. I never feel right if I don't have a book, and who doesn't like book clutter? I mean my books are organized and not in the way or anything, but to me they are what makes a house feel like home-- a personal touch. I never throw out a book but I'm always willing to give them to friends and then replace them because when you give someone a book, especially one you've already read, you're giving them more than just words on a page-- you're giving them a chance to see another world and look through someone else's eyes and maybe even allow them to understand you too.

okay I'm done rambling sorry!!!

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

I grew up in the world of technology. I had my first computer when I was 10 and my first cell phone when I was 11, and even though I had all of these things they don't mean nearly as much to me as my books.

To me, technology becomes outdated and you have to keep upgrading in order to keep up, but when I walk into the library or bookstore I can pick up a copy Chaucer, or Poe and even though the cover may look different and an introduction may have been added, it's still the same content.

Not only that, but books have a special place in my heart. It wasn't easy for me to make friends and I turned to books because I knew they'd always be there and I could relate to them unlike the kids in my class. I never feel right if I don't have a book, and who doesn't like book clutter? I mean my books are organized and not in the way or anything, but to me they are what makes a house feel like home-- a personal touch. I never throw out a book but I'm always willing to give them to friends and then replace them because when you give someone a book, especially one you've already read, you're giving them more than just words on a page-- you're giving them a chance to see another world and look through someone else's eyes and maybe even allow them to understand you too.

okay I'm done rambling sorry!!!

...not rambling at all!  :smileyhappy: 

Beautifully said.  This last part, especially, touched me.  Sharing books, stories that mean something to you, does form a connection.  It's one of the ways I connect with my daughter. 

It's also the feeling you get when you are on one of these book discussions.  Even though you may have differences of opinions in interpreting a story, it becomes just another way to connect.  We learn how different we all are, but with that learning comes acceptance.  Sharing in so many ways, brings tolerance and caring.

I hope you join us in our book discussions.

Happy Reading!

Kathy S.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, I have a Kindle and a Nook. The reason being is the price wars that are going on with publishers. I had the Kindle for 2 years now and it still has a lot of stuff on it to read. I bought the Nook as a protest against higher prices at Amazon only to see that B&N do it also. I'm careful what I buy. Sometimes I can get a bargain at Amazon and not at B&N. I do like the Kindle as it lasts longer in battery life, but I do feel myself picking up the Nook to take with me on a trip. I really don't like the slow startup; Kindle is much faster. But that's the only complaint I have.

At this time, I'm reading Shutter Island on the Nook and The Language of Sand on the Kindle.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Hi, I have a Kindle and a Nook. The reason being is the price wars that are going on with publishers. I had the Kindle for 2 years now and it still has a lot of stuff on it to read. I bought the Nook as a protest against higher prices at Amazon only to see that B&N do it also. I'm careful what I buy. Sometimes I can get a bargain at Amazon and not at B&N. I do like the Kindle as it lasts longer in battery life, but I do feel myself picking up the Nook to take with me on a trip. I really don't like the slow startup; Kindle is much faster. But that's the only complaint I have.

At this time, I'm reading Shutter Island on the Nook and The Language of Sand on the Kindle.

I think that because eReaders are so new not only do they manufacturers have bugs to work out of the product but they also have to make sure that they have a market. Raising prices is testing the waters. Think back to when MP3's first came out. IPod stole the show in the beginning but they were outrageously priced and only now are they starting to come down on that. Plus the rest of the world is catching up and making products that are as good or better.

I don't have an eReader yet and that's because I'm waiting for the rest of the world to catch up and sound product to be offered, but for those who already have theirs get to explore the positive and negative sides and help the manufacturers make a better product and then can appreciate the later models more.

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Contributor
SageStellone
0 Kudos

I got my Nook on the first shipment in December. At first, I would be reading and try to turn the page, and it would freeze, sometimes for an hour or two. But after I got an update, all the probelms went away! I love reading on my Nook, especially when I'm flying, where as before I would have to dedicate my carry on bag to 4 or 5 books, and now I can take thousands of books and it cost me little to no room at all! The only thing that I wish was different, is that if the page section had a setting where you could turn a back light on it. I find myself using a flashlight at night to read(which is nothing new :smileywink: ) and I'd just really love if it had an option for that, even if I had to pay an extra $50, or whatever. Other than that, I just really love it, and I brag about it all the time, because I'm so proud of it!

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

I do wonder about the eye strain. I stare at a computer for most of the day and I get terrible eye strain. Does the Nook cause eye strain? Even reading my regular books I sometimes have to use a magnifying glass or low power reading glasses to see the words on the page.

Contributor
lmr003

I have an Amazon Kindle...like the very first edition & i have to admit that i wish i would have the new nook! but even though i think these are great inventions...there's nothing like holding an actual book in your hands.

:smileyhappy: Lindsay

-Lindsay

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

I don't believe that ebook readers that use e-ink will cause eye strain.  Here's a bit on it, but ultimately I think we're good to go.

NYTimes Blog: Do e-readers cause eye strain?

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

I do wonder about the eye strain. I stare at a computer for most of the day and I get terrible eye strain. Does the Nook cause eye strain? Even reading my regular books I sometimes have to use a magnifying glass or low power reading glasses to see the words on the page.

Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

I love it as a conversation starter, too! How many people have you shown it to, discussed it with, etc?  People are always reluctant to take mine and push buttons, but I tell them not to worry, I think it would take quite a bit of abuse to break it.

SageStellone wrote:

I got my Nook on the first shipment in December. At first, I would be reading and try to turn the page, and it would freeze, sometimes for an hour or two. But after I got an update, all the probelms went away! I love reading on my Nook, especially when I'm flying, where as before I would have to dedicate my carry on bag to 4 or 5 books, and now I can take thousands of books and it cost me little to no room at all! The only thing that I wish was different, is that if the page section had a setting where you could turn a back light on it. I find myself using a flashlight at night to read(which is nothing new :smileywink: ) and I'd just really love if it had an option for that, even if I had to pay an extra $50, or whatever. Other than that, I just really love it, and I brag about it all the time, because I'm so proud of it!

Stephanie
Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Stephanie-

Thanks for the article I found it very interesting and had to chuckle when Dr. Hedge proposed taking a break every twenty minutes whether reading paper or e-ink. I have a tendency of reading to lose track of time not to keep it, which is why my eyes obviously become strained. The more I read about eReaders the more up in the air I become. I know it's all about personal preference but as I haven't tried an eReader my only preference is my paper books. I'll keep watching the world of eReaders and I know eventually I'll get up the courage to try one. :smileyvery-happy:

Thank You Again,

Kayla

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

I love it as a conversation starter, too! How many people have you shown it to, discussed it with, etc?  People are always reluctant to take mine and push buttons, but I tell them not to worry, I think it would take quite a bit of abuse to break it.

SageStellone wrote:

Actually Yes and No. Check out the ebook discussion/help boards. One of the top 10 gripes is cracked buttons.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kayla,

You're quite welcome.  I'm not 100% sure about this, but I do think that B&N will let you try out a nook in the store. 

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH

Eye strain is no worse with an e-book than a paper book.  It's amazing how much like paper the e-devices are.  The first few hours I had my Nook I reached to turn the page a couple of times.  It was a long thought out and emotional leap to purchase my Nook.  A decision I've not regretted for one second. 

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
New User
ColletteThomas

I've had my Kindle for several years, it's the first one Amazon put out for sale.  I've been thinking about getting the Nook, only because I'm a electronic gadget freak.  Or maybe I can convince my twin sister to get the Nook and then we can compare.  Or maybe I'll buy her one for her birthday when we both celebrate that day this coming June!

I love my Kindle knowing that when I go on trips I can take that along with all the books uploaded to it rather than that pile of books that I normally do that takes up space inside my luggage.  I also like the idea of uploading some of my own stories that I write and be able to upload them into the Kindle Store.  Doing so somehow gives me a better perspective on my own writing and I pretend it is someone else who wrote these stories so that I can better critique my own work.  I have several series going at Amazon for the Kindle that I myself wrote and have uploaded into the Kindle store.  It's fun and rewarding in that it keeps me motivated to write more of these stories. 

I've seen the ebook develop from the very start and watch it  go through various phases.  Acceptance was slow at first where people simply refused to acknowledge that this is one way to go as far as reading a book to now where many are accepting it as "the" way to read books.  I still buy traditional books, in fact I have a non-fiction piece at Amazon as well as a video on YouTube about my own you might say battle with book hoarding. 

Yes, I was and probably still am an obsessive compulsive book hoarder.  The video is funny actually and I occasionally look at it on YouTube and shake my head at the number of books I have or had (I've given away many to Goodwill, libraries, etc)   At one time over 100 boxes of books filled my house.   And now it amazes me that this number of books could have be downloaded into one Nook or Kindle, stressing the point of how many trees will be saved once people adapt to this method of reading. 

I love my Kindle, and I love to go into the Kindle store at any time of day or night (and if I had a Nook would say the same for the Nook) if I hear about a book I want to buy. I still go into bookstores as well.  Yesterday I was there with my two grandkids, 6 and 10.  They love books!  The ten year old is now wanting to read Moby Dick, which her father thinks might be too difficult for her.  But she's a determined young girl who knows her mind.

Nevertheless, although I love my Kindle, I still love the paperback books, two of which I'll be doing a booksigning for this coming Saturday at an RWA CT chapters all day conference in Meriden, CT.   Deadly Affairs and Deadly Games are available in both ebook and paperback format so the best of both worlds for those readers who have preferences. 

I think ebooks have finally found the niche that will continue to grow as more people because familiar and comfortable with ebooks and the devices that where they can be read.

Collette Thomas

http://www.newsletterofcollettethomas.blogspot.com

KathyS

[ Edited ]

Yesterday, as I  walked into the B&N store, I saw a guy was set up with a Nook display, right there in the front entrance!  You couldn't miss him!  And I couldn't resist looking at this thing, the Nook....picking it up, and talking to the guy about it.  I mentioned some of the problems that people are having with their Nook, as I read them from time to time in the e-book section boards....

He, of course, was the ultimate salesman....not forcing the issue of buying it, but answering my questions politely, and sympathetically, concerning these problems by these people.

I wanted to feel the weight of this machine, the look of it....they had many covers, at extra cost, too.  At a price of over three hundred dollars, I couldn't reconcile myself to buying one...at least not yet.  I really do not feel the need.

I thanked him, generously, for his time, and he courteously pointed me in the direction of the center help desk, as he saw my list and coupon in my hand.  I didn't need to be pointed in that direction, since I am more than familiar with the store, and how it works, but it was nice, just the same.

I was looking for two authors....one I knew the title, which I was going to order, since I didn't need it this moment, but the other one, I hadn't read this author, and I didn't know which book I wanted of hers, willing to buy it off the shelf, as I wanted it now....but, she wasn't on the selves, so she had to be ordered as well.   The lady at the desk was most helpful, showing me the list of books to choose from, and helping me decide.  I talked to her about the other author I was ordering, who has a new book release I wanted.  I told her about the author, which I'd read before....how wonderful he was.  She hadn't known he'd written before, and was skeptical of this new novel of his, since he is the son of a famous author...I assured her his style of writing was more than worth her purchasing his books.  She thanked me for helping her with this decision.

To make a long story even longer, It's fun to go into books stores, and talk to people of common interests.....being helped, and helping, in the process.

I ordered two books, with discounts and savings....One $25.00 book came to $15.30, and the other $13.00 book came to $11.70.

The funny thing about this is, the list of prices that the Nook guy had in front of him, on his counter top, showing me the listing prices of real books, compared to the e-book prices....all were listed at $25.00, which is the list shelf price, not the price I can get with my card, coupons, and online savings.  Salesmanship first hand.  I didn't argue the point.

I know e-books are a little cheaper, but I guess cost is both an issue, and not an issue with me.  I'm willing to still pay a little more, just to hold the actual book.  The ink on a paper page holds something I can't explain.  A few times I'll be reading along....and actually smell something that words say to me....I'll take that book, and hold the pages up to my nose, and smell it.  It's just imagination taking over.  But still,  knowing it has come from publisher to me, mostly unopened.  I'm the first one to touch those pages.  Cracking open the mystery....seeing the thickness and cut of the pages, knowing the hard work that went into it, the whole process, just getting it into my hands.  It wasn't by just a push of a button.....  It really is a sensual experience.  No matter how kinky it sounds, there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way!

And yes, turning the page, without a button to worry about sticking, or jamming, or breaking...It's a nice world to be able to control that little thing.  Being controlled by, and sucked into cyberspace, is a scary thing....we live in that world, daily.  I want a time out, from time to time.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf

I know what you mean, Kathy. I talk to the person running the Nook stand every time I go into that store. While it intrigues me and would save me a lot of space, I can't help but feel like if I bought an eReader I'd be betraying those bound pieces of paper I've loved since I was a kid. When I go to the bookstore I love the smell of paper and ink and feeling the weight of a new adventure in my hands. I've never been a fan of purchasing books online because of the feelings I get from being in the bookstore; a place I've always felt was a second home.

Someone mentioned book hoarding and I have to say I'm guilty of that as well. For Christmas my love bought me a bag from the bookstore that says, "When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes." There is nothing more comforting to me than being surrounded by my books. Because of this, I think if I did buy an eReader I wouldn't use it much unless I was going on a trip or something of that nature. I like feeling the weight of my books in my bag-- reassuring me. So for me, right now, it wouldn't make sense to spend the three hundred or so dollars for something I wouldn't use much. I think is the price goes down, I'll reconsider getting one.

Kayla

Reader 4
VW-Johnny

[ Edited ]

I got my Nook a couple of months ago to the cries of my wife making comments about the "smell" of books and feeling the pages in your hand, so despite my interest in using it, I was a little worried.  I do have to say that since getting it I have read more books in the past two months than I have in the past two years.  Say what you like about the technology not being the same as having the book in your hand, if it makes me read that much more than I did before it's a good thing.

I think that part of it is that I download samples that I read when I have a moment and that helps me decide which books I want to read.  I don't have to have a block of time that I can spend in the bookstore thumbing through some books trying to find out what I think would be a good read. I still enjoy going to the bookstore, but I don't get to go as often as I would like.

The only drawback is that there are some titles that I want to read that are not in e-book format yet, including my favorite book (A Confederacy of Dunces).  So for now there will still be a place for traditional books in my house, even though I greatly prefer reading on my Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

I can't imagine not having bound books in my house, for the rest of my life.  I would like to be able to part with them a little more easily than I do now, however.  I like the idea of saving trees, and I very much like the idea of saving space in my home! 

However, I think people who love reading and writing and pens and ink, as I do, will never be able to make the leap away from bookstores, libraries, and that smell of the page (and story) that Kathy describes so beautifully.  I would, however, like to have nothing but e-readers in classrooms, because kids tear up books faster than you can imagine, and they are much, much kinder to electronic devices.  Go figure. 

Stephanie
KathyS

My daughter, Karen, just got an iphone...I hadn't known it, and yesterday I called her...her first call, and she couldn't answer it right away, because it took her a few seconds to figure it out!  Ha!  I've been procrastinating on upgrading my phone.  I had wanted a Blackberry, now Karen is giving me hers!  It seems funny for her to upgrade to an iphone, since she's so electronically challenged!  But, she has all of the new-fangled machines, except ebooks.  I'm actually interested in the new ipad.  I do feel the need to inspect this thing.  If I can put it in my lap, and type on it....hmm.  Even though I put my keyboard in my lap, I still have to turn on my computer...then  I get tempted to come here and expound on all of this....and there goes my day!  :smileyhappy:

I was watching the news last night, and I caught something that was interesting.  Kids text more than email, because they feel that emailing is too formal, impersonal.  What about calling, or face to face conversations?...texting, to me, seems impersonal, far more so than emails.  But, I'm not a kid, and what do I know?  lol

Now, I'll be able to text my kids, and not get a major cramp in my thumbs, spending 15 minutes just trying to find the darn letters!  Usually, by the time I get three words spelled out, they've already sent me two more text messages!  Wait!  Hold on!  I tell them.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

I was watching the news last night, and I caught something that was interesting.  Kids text more than email, because they feel that emailing is too formal, impersonal.  What about calling, or face to face conversations?...texting, to me, seems impersonal, far more so than emails.  But, I'm not a kid, and what do I know?  lol

Now, I'll be able to text my kids, and not get a major cramp in my thumbs, spending 15 minutes just trying to find the darn letters!  Usually, by the time I get three words spelled out, they've already sent me two more text messages!  Wait!  Hold on!  I tell them.

I do a lot of texting myself. Email, to me, isn't too formal it's just that sometimes I don't have time to get to a computer. With texting I can send a text and get a response quickly, and I like it especially if I'm out running errands and just need to ask a question. I have phone conversations but if I'm talking to someone who I'm not too comfortable with or who likes to jabber on when I'm trying to work it makes it harder to end the conversation, where with texting people can text away and I don't neccessarily have to respond right away. Texting is like benefitting from email (because it's in written form) and benefit from talking (because it's faster and easier) put it together and you have texting!

Kathy, I know what you mean about trying to send a text and it takes a while to send a text yourself. Maybe you should change the setting in your phone so that when you text all you have to do is press each button once to spell out a word and if it's the wrong word you press another button that switches to another word. In my phone it's called T9word instead ABC or alpha like I assume your using. I hope it makes it easier for you to text. Some people find it harder to use but I think I text faster using this neat feature.

Kayla