Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

theirs. Not theres  SORRY

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Pam -- you really sound excited about your Nook!  If I were working, I am quite certain I would have an ebook of one type or another -- one of my good friends was an early adopter!

Incidentally, I hope you know that under "Options" in the upper right corner is one in the drop down menu that lets you edit a message for about 90 minutes (or a little more) after you post it.  (Unfortunately, I have perhaps sometimes given up on being as conscientious as you about catching typos -- but I do appreciate the consideration.)

Pepper

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

I feel like such an idiot, when I catch one of my typos in a blog.....after I've posted it!  Unfortunately, no correcting it there.  :smileysad:

Peppermill wrote:

Incidentally, I hope you know that under "Options" in the upper right corner is one in the drop down menu that lets you edit a message for about 90 minutes (or a little more) after you post it.  (Unfortunately, I have perhaps sometimes given up on being as conscientious as you about catching typos -- but I do appreciate the consideration.)

Pepper

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Kathy -- you must not be over sixty yet!

I have this harebrained theory that about sixty-one women finally somehow can free themselves from some of their perfectionism compulsions.

Not but what effort and caring aren't still important.  I always have had a penchant for Sam Keen's "Professionalism is in the nit-sh**t details."  (Fire in the Belly

Like so many mysteries about the design of these boards, I don't figure either why corrections are not permitted on responses to blogs.

One of the things that does make me cringe sometimes is when I see I have made an obvious typo and it keeps re-appearing in quotation after quotation.  I will sometimes step back into the conversation just to correct it.

KathyS wrote:

I feel like such an idiot, when I catch one of my typos in a blog.....after I've posted it!  Unfortunately, no correcting it there.  :

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Kathy -- you must not be over sixty yet!

I have this harebrained theory that about sixty-one women finally somehow can free themselves from some of their perfectionism compulsions.

Not but what effort and caring aren't still important.  I always have had a penchant for Sam Keen's "Professionalism is in the nit-sh**t details."  (Fire in the Belly

Like so many mysteries about the design of these boards, I don't figure either why corrections are not permitted on responses to blogs.

One of the things that does make me cringe sometimes is when I see I have made an obvious typo and it keeps re-appearing in quotation after quotation.  I will sometimes step back into the conversation just to correct it.

KathyS wrote:

I feel like such an idiot, when I catch one of my typos in a blog.....after I've posted it!  Unfortunately, no correcting it there.  :

Pepper, without giving you my exact age, :smileyvery-happy:  I try to always be aware of my spelling/typos....  It goes along with my work history.   It's not exactly compulsive, I just can't help myself!  :smileyhappy:

Ha!  You do like to correct your words, don't you!  I sometimes correct other people's typos!

I think the blogs are meant to be spontaneous, and not being able to go back later to correct something, sort of leaves it in that vein.  I always make long blog posts, and I do sometimes see typos that I've missed.  Then, I have to shrug my shoulders, and lump it!  (the bloggers aren't immune...and they have the option to edit, but some don't) 

Peppermill

I sometimes correct other people's typos!

I deeply appreciate that, when another poster does that for me.

But, I have been chasticed for doing so (it can be rude or unintentionally distort a meaning or a deliberate point), so I do it a lot less often myself these days.  Still, I have worked as a writer with too many editors over the years to totally refrain! 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

I sometimes correct other people's typos!

I deeply appreciate that, when another poster does that for me.

But, I have been chastised for doing so (it can be rude or unintentionally distort a meaning or a deliberate point), so I do it a lot less often myself these days.  Still, I have worked as a writer with too many editors over the years to totally refrain! 

Let's just say that I don't let that other person know when I do it.  :smileyhappy: (I just corrected your word, chastised (spell check did it!) :smileyvery-happy:  It's usually just a letter transposed.  I used spell check once, and I accidentally hit correct on a word that wasn't even mine!  It was Psychee's quote within my post, and she and I had a laugh over it...I changed the word completely!  It's a good thing she has a sense of humor.  Ha!  And you can correct my spelling anytime! 

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

I feel like such an idiot, when I catch one of my typos in a blog.....after I've posted it!  Unfortunately, no correcting it there.  :smileysad:

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

I know Kathy it's so anoying for me too. I tend to see my typos 3 mins after (chuckle) well that if I do. And not being able to edit a blog post is just a constant, agrh.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat
0 Kudos

Hi, I'm over 60 and I think it's more a problem of typing too fast and not spell checking or proofing your on writing. Believe me, I've done it many a time and you don't have to be over 60 for it to happen. You know, life happens!

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Worse than typos are bloody networks that go down and lose a post one has finished and is trying to transmit!

Let's see if I can reconstruct at least the gist.

Maxcat -- what I tried to say is that, at a certain age, I think some of us who perhaps have had excessively perfectionist tendancies, at least in some areas of our lives, begin to put away our self flagellation whips and accept your much more realistic view, "life happens."

Kathy -- thanks for catching "chastise."  Spell check is wonderful -- in Word.  Here, I sometimes depend too much on memory or looking-up on mw.com because this spell-check function  takes so long and is rather cumbersome.  So, when I think I know, but don't...! :smileysad:  Still, I appreciate having the function available and do use it somelimes. 

maxcat wrote:

Hi, I'm over 60 and I think it's more a problem of typing too fast and not spell checking or proofing your own writing. Believe me, I've done it many a time and you don't have to be over 60 for it to happen. You know, life happens!