Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

Nook: Who's reading electronically?

Have you gotten your Nook yet?  Tell us about it! 

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

Re: Nook: Who's reading electronically?

I've had my Kindle for a year now & love it. It will never totally replace books for me because there's nothing like the feel of a book in your hands; but I'm a gadget freak & this combines my love of books with my love of gadgets. It's fabulous to take on vacation.

I'd like to hear from those who have used both a Kindle & a Nook to get a comparison.

Cathy

CR: A Promised World

JR: Shutter Island, Outlander, Her Fearful Symmetry

TBR: To the Lighthouse

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Stephanie wrote:

No.  Sorry, I can't tell you about it, or any other electronic book such as these. 

I love my paper books too much, to even think about holding a cold piece of metal in my hands, to read.  The only e-book that I have, is a Merriam-Webster.  It saves me time in "thumbing". 

If I had read The Forgotten Garden in e-book form, I would have missed the beauty of the art work on cover, and boards......This art work that I felt so essential to this story. 

And I can just picture, one day, a library filled with electronic devises.  The smell, and total feel of a library would not be that comforting place I've always known and loved.  How do you catalogue an e-book?  That's my objective-personal look at this topic.

But for those of you who have the nook, or other derivatives, I'm sure they are a welcome and comforting devise for you, or anyone who must carry a ton of books around with them.  I hold just one book at a time.  That's just me.  Enjoy!

Kathy

Inspired Scribe
IBIS

Hi Stephanie,

I received “Nookworm” for Christmas, and in just a month, I have over 150 books stored in my library. I enjoyed reading “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” for B&N’s Literature by Women book club.

I find myself reading MORE than I used to. Whenever I can spare a few minutes, I wake up Nookworm, and pick up reading. I read at an “as time permits” basis, and get a lot more reading done than I ever have before.

Having an entire bookstore at my fingertips greatly increases my impulse buying. I read a positive book review…. AHA!  I can purchase it and read it RIGHT NOW. This tells me that e-book readers are going to buy a lot of books precisely because the e-readers have that impulse buy quality.

The other side of the coin, however, is that although e-reading is great news for book sales, I’ve found that my attention does wander more frequently. My attention span seems to be decreasing. E-books are easily fragmented into readable “bits”… which are convenient at times, but I find that it weakens my deep-focus linearity of reading the printed word.

Although my hands cramped holding up 10 pounds of “War and Peace”, there is a certain kind of experience that can only be conveyed by the steady, directed immersion that a 800-page book gives you.

Maryanne Wolf in her book “Proust and the Squid”, says, it’s not enough to say that people will read more on an e-reader. One of the heroes of her book is Marcel Proust, the 19th-century French novelist. Proust saw reading as an inherently solitary, immersive act; he believed the best books allowed readers a chance to exercise their own imagination.

These days, the opportunity for that kind of “deep dive reading” is vanishing, Wolf says.

Although I love Nookworm, and will read it for certain material, I will always have the traditional printed book as well... there is no substitute for the "deep dive" immersion I’ve found in a printed book.

The future of reading is digital … so how long will printed books remain with us?

In one episode of “Star Trek, The Next Generation”, Captain Picard is seen reading Sam Spade in hardcover. How's that for a hint?

Stephanie wrote:

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
KathyS
0 Kudos

Thanks for this wonderful thought comparison, IBIS!
IBIS wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

I received “Nookworm” for Christmas, and in just a month, I have over 150 books stored in my library. I enjoyed reading “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” for B&N’s Literature by Women book club.

I find myself reading MORE than I used to. Whenever I can spare a few minutes, I wake up Nookworm, and pick up reading. I read at an “as time permits” basis, and get a lot more reading done than I ever have before.

Having an entire bookstore at my fingertips greatly increases my impulse buying. I read a positive book review…. AHA!  I can purchase it and read it RIGHT NOW. This tells me that e-book readers are going to buy a lot of books precisely because the e-readers have that impulse buy quality.

The other side of the coin, however, is that although e-reading is great news for book sales, I’ve found that my attention does wander more frequently. My attention span seems to be decreasing. E-books are easily fragmented into readable “bits”… which are convenient at times, but I find that it weakens my deep-focus linearity of reading the printed word.

Although my hands cramped holding up 10 pounds of “War and Peace”, there is a certain kind of experience that can only be conveyed by the steady, directed immersion that a 800-page book gives you.

Maryanne Wolf in her book “Proust and the Squid”, says, it’s not enough to say that people will read more on an e-reader. One of the heroes of her book is Marcel Proust, the 19th-century French novelist. Proust saw reading as an inherently solitary, immersive act; he believed the best books allowed readers a chance to exercise their own imagination.

These days, the opportunity for that kind of “deep dive reading” is vanishing, Wolf says.

Although I love Nookworm, and will read it for certain material, I will always have the traditional printed book as well... there is no substitute for the "deep dive" immersion I’ve found in a printed book.

The future of reading is digital … so how long will printed books remain with us?

In one episode of “Star Trek, The Next Generation”, Captain Picard is seen reading Sam Spade in hardcover. How's that for a hint?

Stephanie wrote:

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'd like to add a couple more thoughts to this subject. 

Someone I know mentioned that there are some books that she wanted to read, but was grateful for the e-book, because the cover wouldn't be showing people that she was reading a (so called) romance novel.  As I noted to Beck, yesterday, on her Mystery board, these covers are almost repulsive to me, distracting, and having no real connection to the actual story inside the pages.  I'd like to put a brown shopping bag cover on them!

And in saying this, I always take a book with me to all of the medical facilities I happen to have an appointment with.  I do think about the fact that people observe what I read, as I do them.  Conversations are struck up, because of this observation.  I guess, in some personal way, I like people to know the kinds of books I read.  I could almost say I'm proud to show this side of me off.  I also wonder how many more sales of this book will go up after having a wonderful conversation about this book with a perfect stranger?

Having an electronic devise in my hands, or someone else's hands, would almost seem to say:  Don't bother me, this must be important, or I wouldn't have this machine in my hands!  It's a hard [impersonal] barrier to penetrate.

Kathy

P.S..  Oh, Yeah, I almost forgot to mention:  A real book comes in handy when you fall asleep on the beach.  It covers your face very nicely..Blocking out the light and reduces sunburned faces!

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Kathy,

I've had the opposite experience with my nook. Total strangers interrupt my intense (!) reading to ask about it. It's quite the conversation piece. I flew home this weekend, and the airline staff took turns asking me questions. The co-pilot was gripped by the "Airplane Off" feature.

Once the novelty of e-readers on international flights wears off, I'll be able to read on the plane in peace!

By the way, I can use my nook to cover my face on the beach as well. One good thing is that the nook doesn't leave page impressions, or ink smudges, on my cheeks and forehead!

IBIS

KathyS
0 Kudos

Ha!  That's funny!  Yes, you're right, the suntan lotions are murder on ink, and ink is murder on your face!  I wipe my hand and face off, just incase!  I've never really seen the nook, so I can't imagine how big it is, or how heavy it is.  I just pictured it smashing my nose, and I'd end up with a square of un-tanned surface in the middle of my face!

That's interesting, about people interrupting you when you've got one of these in your hand.  I guess I just 'assumed' people think like me....LOL....and not want to bother someone who has one of these.  I guess I wouldn't bother them because I wouldn't know what the book was they were reading.  I Don't usually disturb people who are reading anyway, unless I see they are reading something that I've read, and I may blurt out...Oh, I loved that book!..or...if I see they are well into the book, and they look up,  I'll ask,....How are you liking the story? That is, if I'm not engrossed in my own book!  I remember, not long ago, I was reading in a quite waiting room...the male nurse came in and called my name, and I just about jumped out of my skin...I was THAT involved in the story!

I also thought people are used to seeing all of these gadget in people's hands.  Although, come to think of it, I don't see e-books.....that is, if I knew what one looked like, in the first place!

I wonder if you can download sheet music with one of these things, and if it would automatically turn the page for you, when you said...TURN....?!  (Just a wandering thought)

What's the "airplane off" feature?  Does it automatically shut off at 10,000 feet?  Ha!

Enjoy your "nook-book"

IBIS wrote:

Hi Kathy,

I've had the opposite experience with my nook. Total strangers interrupt my intense (!) reading to ask about it. It's quite the conversation piece. I flew home this weekend, and the airline staff took turns asking me questions. The co-pilot was gripped by the "Airplane Off" feature.

Once the novelty of e-readers on international flights wears off, I'll be able to read on the plane in peace!

By the way, I can use my nook to cover my face on the beach as well. One good thing is that the nook doesn't leave page impressions, or ink smudges, on my cheeks and forehead!

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Kathy, I haven't had the nook public encounter. But People still butt in to look and ask questions at my PSP in public. Even more daunting is when a crowd gathers to watch the screen from behind me, it's a 3"x5" screen too. And the PSP has been on the market for around 4 years now.

New gadgets are always worse, you just have to be seen having one, not even using it for the questions to start.

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Kathy,

There are 2 ways to "turn" pages on the nook.

I push the forward/backward button when I'm snacking. I don't want to worry about butter or crumbs messing with the device.

Alternatively, when I'm sure my hands are clean, I "swipe" the pages with  my "clean" thumb or finger.

It's a matter of convenience... either method is fine.

The Airplane Off/On mode is when passengers need to turn off any electronic devices while taking off or landing.

IBIS

Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
0 Kudos

My Kindle has been a conversation starter. A flight attendant wanted to know all about it. A man at the airport asked me what I had in my hand. I have never seen anyone else with a Kindle or any other kind of ereader, but I would not hesitate to ask what they're reading if I did. I, too, always look at the cover of a book to see what someone's reading.

Cathy

CR: A Reliable Wife

JR: The Promised World, Shutter Island, Outlander

TBR: To the Lighthouse

Frequent Contributor
Shrew
0 Kudos

I'm reading The Historian.  This is my first book on my new nook.  I've had a few nook public encounters.  In fact, I hate to sound like a grouch, but it's getting old.  I love my nook and I love talking about it, but I've actually started staying at my desk at lunch so I can read.  If I go into the lunch room I have too many people hanging around because of my nook.  Next thing I know lunch is over, and I never got to read.

One of my coworkers is thinking of getting the Kindle.  I told her to hurry up; we need more of these e-readers around.  :smileyvery-happy:

~ Pam

~ Pam
http://smiling-raindrops.blogspot.com
Correspondent
NenetRN

Well, I was reading electronically..... I got my Nook for x-mas and was so excited to get it! but once i did, i didn't like it much.

The very first thing i hated is that the actual screen does not ight up, (don't know if this is the case for other e-readers)..... i was so disapointed because i had pictured beeing able to just pick it up at night when i can't sleep which is often and just turn it on! I know this is supposed to be a "good" thing, something about the glare or whatever.....  so if i need to spend about $25 on a book light, for something that is electroic, might as well just read the real thing. 

Another thing is getting the case for it, another $30 or so ...... it just would have added up way too much. Like someone mentioned earlier, I just missed the real thing, the cover art, all the details that i NEVER realized I would miss. Another thing, i ended up reading less because i was too afraid to take it to work because i might lose it, someone might take it, or i might drop it!  .......

In the end, after reading only The Lovely Bones,  paying over $300 for this device seemed silly, so I returned it!

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Yeah the no backlit cause it causes glare eludes me. I live in a backlit world no glare problems no eye strain feeling. I don't get it. Glare problems have been asociated medically with nightblindness. Are you glare prob people getting your Vitamin K?

I'm holding off for a good backlit, web browsing on multiple sites, actual ownership of electronic content I buy, ability to buy a shock absorbing rubber wrap grip for it model.

Correspondent
NenetRN
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Yeah the no backlit cause it causes glare eludes me. I live in a backlit world no glare problems no eye strain feeling. I don't get it.

I totally agree!!!!  I wouldn't mind it backlit at all, my eyes aren't gonna fall out of their eye sockets, and I'm not gonna get a massive, cripling headache eather.

I figured , I can just download the e-reader on my laptop and read on that at night, and take it everywhere as well........ like i said, the Nook just was not worth the $$$$$$$ 

* BE NICE TO EVERYONE! THEY MIGHT BE YOUR NURSE SOMEDAY *
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

When I first saw e-paper, I too was a little disappointed that I would still need a booklight.  However, your nook or other reader would not hold a charge for nearly as long as it does, and you would get "screen eyestrain"  (although you might not notice - like carpal tunnel, it sneaks up on you).  An e-paper display can also be read in direct sunlight without any glare, as it reflects ambient light.  All in all, the technology is terrific, if you are expecting it!  If you're expecting something else, disappointment ensues.

Pixel Qi (chee)  is going to be the next excellent screen technology.  Can't wait until it's available.

I like the readers.  I also read books on the iTouch - B&N has a nice app for that, and if you have one, that's the way you can read in the dark without a booklight.

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

When I first saw e-paper, I too was a little disappointed that I would still need a booklight.  However, your nook or other reader would not hold a charge for nearly as long as it does, and you would get "screen eyestrain"  (although you might not notice - like carpal tunnel, it sneaks up on you).  An e-paper display can also be read in direct sunlight without any glare, as it reflects ambient light.  All in all, the technology is terrific, if you are expecting it!  If you're expecting something else, disappointment ensues.

Pixel Qi (chee)  is going to be the next excellent screen technology.  Can't wait until it's available.

I like the readers.  I also read books on the iTouch - B&N has a nice app for that, and if you have one, that's the way you can read in the dark without a booklight.

Can you explain iTouch to me?

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:

Touch Screen Iphone. Front surface is totally finger swipe controlled.

TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Personally not bothered by any charge if it lasts 8h and I can switch batteries for long trips. What glare in direct sun? I don't get that with any backlit device I have now. If your getting that with your laptop, it's because you bought one with a built in privacy tilt. Small devices below 8" screens don't have those ever.

And the book light thing ANNOYING. I want a device where all I have to attach is a headphone plug. No dangling strapped on bits and pieces, should be near seamless and if I can bluetooth the headset so much the better.

I'm serious about the Vit K deficiency thing, rising US epidemic. Too much processed foods and most mutli vitamins don't have it. But necessary for eye health. Go eat a raw carrot people.

KathyS
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Touch Screen Iphone. Front surface is totally finger swipe controlled.

Oh, yeah...I've seen those.  A phone with internet.  My friend has one...wifi, but can't get reception in a lot of areas.  you can download books to these things?