Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt

Re: October Read The Daughters of the Witching Hill

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

This was on Mary's blog today, I thought you might enjoy it.

http://marysharratt.blogspot.com/2010/10/brief-history-of-enchantment-witchy.html

Thank you, Debbie.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt,
Thanks for sharing the link.  Her blog is deliciously interesting and packed full of information.  
Mtn Muse

dhaupt wrote:

This was on Mary's blog today, I thought you might enjoy it.

http://marysharratt.blogspot.com/2010/10/brief-history-of-enchantment-witchy.html

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Contributor
VampireVixen
0 Kudos

I actually down loaded to my kindle tonight. I am down to 3/4 of the fifth book I have to read for my other groups. I hope to be able to read before we leave for vacation next Thursday. I can chime in a little I hope.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

VampireVixen wrote:

I actually down loaded to my kindle tonight. I am down to 3/4 of the fifth book I have to read for my other groups. I hope to be able to read before we leave for vacation next Thursday. I can chime in a little I hope.

Of course you can chime in whenever you're ready. I'll look forward to your comments.

And remember the author will be here starting Monday for the rest of the month

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684

Ok, are you all ready for this? I was just doing some research with my sister-in-law on the history of a castle that was owned by my father-in-law's family back in the 1300's in England (a painting of this castle was handed down to us and now hangs in my house) and we found an entry pertaining to an ancestor who was hanged in 1649 due to accusation of witchcraft during Witch trials in Early Modern Europe in Newcastle, England. I can't believe I have discovered this now after reading DotWH! It really brings the book to life for me!

Paula

PB684
dhaupt
0 Kudos

PB684 wrote:

Ok, are you all ready for this? I was just doing some research with my sister-in-law on the history of a castle that was owned by my father-in-law's family back in the 1300's in England (a painting of this castle was handed down to us and now hangs in my house) and we found an entry pertaining to an ancestor who was hanged in 1649 due to accusation of witchcraft during Witch trials in Early Modern Europe in Newcastle, England. I can't believe I have discovered this now after reading DotWH! It really brings the book to life for me!

Paula

Paula, do you have goose bumps, because I do.

That's an incredible discovery, I wonder how many of us have such sad histories in our ancestry.

Distinguished Correspondent
PB684
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

PB684 wrote:

Paula

Paula, do you have goose bumps, because I do.

That's an incredible discovery, I wonder how many of us have such sad histories in our ancestry.

Actually, I do Debbie. I have had this painting hanging in my house for 2 years and never stumbled upon this information until now. Until reading DotWH I never knew much about the witch trials in England, only the Salem Trials, and to find out that there was an ancestor involved in the same thing that I have just been reading about was startling! I makes me view the last part of the book with a new sense of sadness.

Paula

PB684
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

PB684,
That is a major WOW!  Not only has your family been able to follow and document your family tree back to the 1300's, but to also document some of their history too, is wonderful.  So many people don't know much about their families more than 3 or so generations back.  I can tell how much you treasure yours.  I know how much I treasure my family history.
Thanks for sharing.  
Mtn Muse

PB684 wrote:

Paula

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Peppermill
0 Kudos

One of you may have told us this before, but I am too lazy to go searching to check tonight, so here is the link to a Reading Group Guide for DotWH that I just came across.

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

One of you may have told us this before, but I am too lazy to go searching to check tonight, so here is the link to a Reading Group Guide for DotWH that I just came across.

Pepper

Thanks Pepper, I saw that and considered using it, but you know me I like the questions to be personalized for us.

Thanks for sharing it with us, I should have.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Pepper

Thanks Pepper, I saw that and considered using it, but you know me I like the questions to be personalized for us.

Thanks for sharing it with us, I should have.

Yours are better, Deb.

dhaupt

Re: October Read-Re:Mary's newsletter featuring us The Daughters of the Witching Hill

Hey gang, check this out it's the latest edition of Mary Sharratt's newsletter and she's featuring not only the discussion but Pepper's great thread.

Here's the link

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=89aa9644a4008e46bcb77b26f&id=5b9aa13284&e=b8f05f3eef

enjoy and thanks Mary for the shout out!!

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: October Read-Re:Mary's newsletter featuring us The Daughters of the Witching Hill

dhaupt wrote:

Hey gang, check this out it's the latest edition of Mary Sharratt's newsletter and she's featuring not only the discussion but Pepper's great thread.

Here's the link

http://us1.campaign-archive.com/?u=89aa9644a4008e46bcb77b26f&id=5b9aa13284&e=b8f05f3eef

I am honored and deeply humbled. 

Thanks for all you did to bring us this book and author, Debbie

Pepper

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Here's the link

I am honored and deeply humbled. 

Thanks for all you did to bring us this book and author, Debbie

Pepper

You know it was my pleasure :womanwink: