Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Overseas Kate

Here's the thread to voice you likes and dislikes about Kate

Do you like how Beatriz has depicted her?

Is she too tied up w/Julian

let us know what you think

Wordsmith
elaine_hf

Re: Overseas Kate

Oh...Kate... She's like a little girl and a big girl, all rolled up into one. I guess we all are, in some ways. It just stands out like a sore thumb to me. She's so grown up, career on Wall Street, living in NYC, but she still has so much growing up to do in the personal relationship department. She seems totally dependent on Julian, and at the same time totally resents it. I'm hopeful that she'll experience that painful growth in the last part of the book and figure out how to make it work for them. I think she's just confused, and has forgotten that the world isn't just black or white. Maybe she's just so caught up in the physicality of their relationship that she's having a hard time catching her breath and seeing a clear path forward.

Elaine

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks Elaine, Great thoughts

Do you get the feeling that life's been pretty much on course for Kate until now, good family, goals set, everything's on track until she gets booted by her firm.

So tell me do you think she would be as dependent on Julian if she still had her job?

Wordsmith
elaine_hf

Deb,
I think that she might not be as dependent, but that is contingent on not having as much drama around them, which doesn't seem likely. With all of the secretive stuff going on, chances are she'd still wind up dependent on him, and I think maybe in a way it's a part of her. She wants to be strong and independent, but in being dependent she's able to let go a little. Which then, I think, makes her angry. It feels a bit confusing to me, but that's just part of being human. Does that make any sense??
Elaine
‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
dhaupt
0 Kudos

elaine_hf wrote:
Deb,
I think that she might not be as dependent, but that is contingent on not having as much drama around them, which doesn't seem likely. With all of the secretive stuff going on, chances are she'd still wind up dependent on him, and I think maybe in a way it's a part of her. She wants to be strong and independent, but in being dependent she's able to let go a little. Which then, I think, makes her angry. It feels a bit confusing to me, but that's just part of being human. Does that make any sense??
Elaine

Actually it makes perfect sense.

and I agree, I too think it's ingrained into her personality. I actually think she likes being the girly girl to Julian's alpha male but she thinks that in today's focus on independence it shows weakness instead.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Kate is full of contrasts.  She can’t decide how to balance a life with Julian yet remain true to herself.  Julian is domineering and given the position she is in ---unemployed with her good name ruined --- she is “forced” to depend on Julian much more than she would normally allow.  Because she finds herself enjoying her life of leisure during the summer with Julian, I think she feels guilty and is starting to rebel against that life, even though on some level, she really enjoys it.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.