[ Edited ]

Here's the paperback edition out early next month for your viewing pleasure

which cover do you like the best

Overseas - paperback

Overseas  - hardback

Well I hope all your questions now have been answered

I'm going to pretty much let you all run with week three

just a few directions

Have you changed your minds about any of the characters?

How do you now feel about Julian and Kate's relationship?

fast forward five years (you know you want to)  :smileyhappy:

Final thoughts

Wordsmith
elaine_hf

Re: Overseas-Week Three

As long as you're asking.......I really prefer the bottom cover - the darkness and stars add an element of mystery that I think permeates this book.

Well, I know I said that Geoff is a good guy in bad guy's clothes, but now I'm totally confused about him. I still think he's a good guy, but I think that he has conflicting feelings about Kate. So - not bad, not evil, maybe just not a friend to Kate, like he is to Julian. It's not like we see him rushing up to hug Kate at the end. But he recognizes that she is the one that Julian has chosen, and is willing to respect that choice. Even if it's begrudgingly.

Have my feelings changed? No, not really, but I still think that Kate is so stuck in the 'physicalness' of their relationship that there are still some unknown facets that they're not really aware of in each other. Perhaps this is just a part of romance, but my hope is, in the next 5 years, they actually get to know each other better.  :smileywink:

In 5 years, I think they will begin to nest and possibly consider having children. Kate will be happily settling into whatever business she's decided to pursue, they will have traveled around the world a few times and ready to relax a bit. 

Thank you, Beatriz, that was a fun read, and thank you, Deb, for taking us into your personal favorite world of romance. I needed a break, and that was a good one!

Elaine

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
dhaupt
0 Kudos

elaine_hf wrote:

As long as you're asking.......I really prefer the bottom cover - the darkness and stars add an element of mystery that I think permeates this book.

Well, I know I said that Geoff is a good guy in bad guy's clothes, but now I'm totally confused about him. I still think he's a good guy, but I think that he has conflicting feelings about Kate. So - not bad, not evil, maybe just not a friend to Kate, like he is to Julian. It's not like we see him rushing up to hug Kate at the end. But he recognizes that she is the one that Julian has chosen, and is willing to respect that choice. Even if it's begrudgingly.

Have my feelings changed? No, not really, but I still think that Kate is so stuck in the 'physicalness' of their relationship that there are still some unknown facets that they're not really aware of in each other. Perhaps this is just a part of romance, but my hope is, in the next 5 years, they actually get to know each other better.  :smileywink:

In 5 years, I think they will begin to nest and possibly consider having children. Kate will be happily settling into whatever business she's decided to pursue, they will have traveled around the world a few times and ready to relax a bit. 

Thank you, Beatriz, that was a fun read, and thank you, Deb, for taking us into your personal favorite world of romance. I needed a break, and that was a good one!

Elaine

Elaine, great comments.

Here's my take on Geoff, he and Julian go waaaay back, he knows what's coming, Julian knows what's coming and whether it's right or not I think in some way he blames Kate for the attempt on Julian's life, it's like if she weren't in the picture there wouldn't be a threat.

thanks for taking this break with us :smileyhappy:

Scribe
ReadingPatti

just a few directions

Have you changed your minds about any of the characters?- Yes, I did about Geoff. I was surprised when Julian told Kate that he was helping him along. I was wrong about him and I was glad.

How do you now feel about Julian and Kate's relationship?I love their relationship. They went through so much to be together. I love the fact that nothing could keep them apart.

fast forward five years (you know you want to)  :smileyhappy: Do Juliam and Kate have kids? Does Geoff find his own love.

Final thoughts I love the first cover of the two of them together. I like the way this book was done. It flowed very well and was a great love story. I just knew that eventually Julian and Kate would get together. They were meant to be together. No everyone finds a love like their.

I really like the paperback cover.

Deb, This was a great pick. I loved the book.

ReadingPatti

Wordsmith
Fozzie

dhaupt wrote:

elaine_hf wrote:

Elaine, great comments.

Here's my take on Geoff, he and Julian go waaaay back, he knows what's coming, Julian knows what's coming and whether it's right or not I think in some way he blames Kate for the attempt on Julian's life, it's like if she weren't in the picture there wouldn't be a threat.

thanks for taking this break with us :smileyhappy:

I think Geoff is a good guy.  He helped Julian save Kate.  Geoff is a true friend.  He might not yet see what Julian sees in Kate, but time will allow Kate and Julian's relationship to develop, especially now that all the mystery is out of the way!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie

I just loved this book!  I loved the mystery.  I loved the romance.  Great story!

I frequently wonder how an author can think up such a great story.   I assume that this story must have been almost fully formed before writing began, given the movement between time periods and how Julian had to plan.  Can you tell us, Beatriz, how much of the plot was formed when you started writing the book?

I would never have guessed that Hollander would be the one with the ability to transport people between time periods!  It seems like a really simplistic idea, but believable, as much as any time travel is believable.  Also, there is the necessity of being near where the historical person was known to be, so that adds an element of restriction and believability, if you will.

I liked the idea of love as portrayed by Julian and Kate in the story.  Their idea of love is one of commitment and obligation.  In Julian’s mind, he was only trying to live up to Kate’s commitment and obligation she showed to him by travelling back in time to save him, but he expressed love through his commitment and obligation to her just as strongly.

I bet Julian and Kate live happily ever after.

P.S.  I like the hardcover better.

Laura

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ReadingPatti wrote:

just a few directions

Have you changed your minds about any of the characters?- Yes, I did about Geoff. I was surprised when Julian told Kate that he was helping him along. I was wrong about him and I was glad.

How do you now feel about Julian and Kate's relationship?I love their relationship. They went through so much to be together. I love the fact that nothing could keep them apart.

fast forward five years (you know you want to)  :smileyhappy: Do Juliam and Kate have kids? Does Geoff find his own love.

Final thoughts I love the first cover of the two of them together. I like the way this book was done. It flowed very well and was a great love story. I just knew that eventually Julian and Kate would get together. They were meant to be together. No everyone finds a love like their.

I really like the paperback cover.

Deb, This was a great pick. I loved the book.

ReadingPatti

Thanks Patti, I'm glad you enjoyed the novel too :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

I just loved this book!  I loved the mystery.  I loved the romance.  Great story!

I frequently wonder how an author can think up such a great story.   I assume that this story must have been almost fully formed before writing began, given the movement between time periods and how Julian had to plan.  Can you tell us, Beatriz, how much of the plot was formed when you started writing the book?

I would never have guessed that Hollander would be the one with the ability to transport people between time periods!  It seems like a really simplistic idea, but believable, as much as any time travel is believable.  Also, there is the necessity of being near where the historical person was known to be, so that adds an element of restriction and believability, if you will.

I liked the idea of love as portrayed by Julian and Kate in the story.  Their idea of love is one of commitment and obligation.  In Julian’s mind, he was only trying to live up to Kate’s commitment and obligation she showed to him by travelling back in time to save him, but he expressed love through his commitment and obligation to her just as strongly.

I bet Julian and Kate live happily ever after.

P.S.  I like the hardcover better.

Laura, thanks for being with us this month. Thanks for your thougthful comments.

I like the hardcover cover better too, it's a bit more mysterious, I do like the paperback too though, it's just that I think the hardcover coveys to me more the feeling of the read.

I'll be waiting to hear what Beatriz says in response to your comment

thanks again

I think you see why this was my top pick for 2012 :smileyhappy:

Author
BeatrizWilliams
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Laura! You're right - I did have most of the plot together in my head before I started; in fact, I think Overseas cooked in my head for a couple of years before I actually sat down to write. When I did, I wrote the modern-day sequence first, because while I knew that Kate would be going back to 1916 to warn Julian about something awful that would threaten his life, and that the present-day Julian would already "know" Kate in 2007 (the basic circle of the plot), I didn't quite know what that "something awful" was until I got to it. I was then able to go back and write the 1916 scenes and drop them in.

From a writerly point of view, I think I most enjoyed creating the mirror symmetry between the two storylines: Kate as the owner of knowledge and Julian as the innocent in 1916 vs. the reverse in 2007. If you read closely, you'll see how each scene is designed to work with its alternate, in terms of plot and character arcs and revelation of information. What can I say? I love putting puzzles together! :smileywink:

Author
BeatrizWilliams

Thank you everyone for the terrific responses and observations! I love seeing the book and the characters through the eyes of others, and I was especially interested by the discussion of Kate last week. Of course, whenever an author creates a charater in the first person, you're inevitably asked whether that character is "you", and I can honestly say that Kate is her own person. That being said, I did use my own experience as a young woman in Manhattan to explore Kate's central dilemma as a character: namely, how to reconcile female ambition and the desire to live a more public life (that is to say, achievement outside the home) with the desire to love and be loved and create a family. Kate's conflict is further complicated by her discomfort with her work environment -- she's not, to say the least, a natural fit in the Wall Street bullpen -- and by the fact that she's fallen in love with an extraordinary man. When she meets Julian, she's really in a tough spot. She has a strong moral center, but it's been subject to the gyroscope of the financial world for three years, an experience that cannot be underestimated, with its 100-hour workweeks and intense performance pressure. Kate has essentially been an outsider, a misfit, in much the same way Julian has, and people who have undergone that experience have a difficult time giving up that beachhead of internal independence and opening up to others. On the other hand, when you do discover another person who understands, the mutual recognition creates a bond of enormous strength.  

As for the future? Well, I do know exactly what happens, but I'm not telling...yet! (Let's just say that Hollander is still out there and fully capable of further mischief...)

Wordsmith
Fozzie

BeatrizWilliams wrote:

From a writerly point of view, I think I most enjoyed creating the mirror symmetry between the two storylines: Kate as the owner of knowledge and Julian as the innocent in 1916 vs. the reverse in 2007. If you read closely, you'll see how each scene is designed to work with its alternate, in terms of plot and character arcs and revelation of information. What can I say? I love putting puzzles together! :smileywink:

I thought the book was brilliantly constructed.  I liked how Kate and Julian each had the chance to be the innocent one.  I know that plot and character information did seem to feel like it came in clumps --- at least that was how I thought of it.  I bet I was subconsciously picking up on the alternate time period plot and character revelations working together.  Very clever!

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie

BeatrizWilliams wrote:

Thank you everyone for the terrific responses and observations! I love seeing the book and the characters through the eyes of others, and I was especially interested by the discussion of Kate last week. Of course, whenever an author creates a charater in the first person, you're inevitably asked whether that character is "you", and I can honestly say that Kate is her own person. That being said, I did use my own experience as a young woman in Manhattan to explore Kate's central dilemma as a character: namely, how to reconcile female ambition and the desire to live a more public life (that is to say, achievement outside the home) with the desire to love and be loved and create a family. Kate's conflict is further complicated by her discomfort with her work environment -- she's not, to say the least, a natural fit in the Wall Street bullpen -- and by the fact that she's fallen in love with an extraordinary man. When she meets Julian, she's really in a tough spot. She has a strong moral center, but it's been subject to the gyroscope of the financial world for three years, an experience that cannot be underestimated, with its 100-hour workweeks and intense performance pressure. Kate has essentially been an outsider, a misfit, in much the same way Julian has, and people who have undergone that experience have a difficult time giving up that beachhead of internal independence and opening up to others. On the other hand, when you do discover another person who understands, the mutual recognition creates a bond of enormous strength.  

As for the future? Well, I do know exactly what happens, but I'm not telling...yet! (Let's just say that Hollander is still out there and fully capable of further mischief...)

I hadn't thought about both Kate and Julian being outsiders in the worlds in which they live, but they are.  That would give them a bond that few could share.

On a related note, I could not understand why Michael Jackson and Elizabeth Taylor would be friends.  Then I heard or read somewhere that they both were child stars and essentially had no childhood, so they had that common bond.  That makes sense to me.

I am thrilled that Hollander will be up to more mischief!!!

Laura

dhaupt
0 Kudos

BeatrizWilliams wrote:

Oh my Beatriz, you have just totally caught my attention with that last statement. So say hello to your new e-stalker, because I want to be the first to find out just what you're up to. :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I also want to thank everyone for their participation. I'll keep some accolades for next week when I post my thank you thread but it means a great deal to me when some of my peers mirror my thoughts on a particular novel, genre, author. And this month we accomplished all three.

dhaupt
0 Kudos