Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Postcards from Fiction Travels

There are so many places I WON'T get to experience this summer in real life, but through fiction I'll be traveling frequently.  Since most of my summer travel is going to be vicarious, I would love to maximize my experiences by hearing about your fiction travels, too.  

How about some Fiction Travel Postcards?

1. Copy a small image* (I can usually find small images through Google images) representative of the setting of the novel you are currently reading*** --doesn't have to be exotic!--  paste it into your message and identify the location.
  2. Write a note from one of your characters (can be as simple as "Hello from the pictured location!"
  3. Sign the card with the Character's Name, The Title of the Novel, and The Author's Name. 

*I have less trouble with images, if I choose the smallest possible size.  If you can't get an image to work, then skip the image; just identify the location, write the note and sign it!

***If you aren't finding time to read this summer, send a postcard from a character in a past novel.  Pick a character whose location is one of your dream get-away spots, perhaps?

I'm sending my first postcard in the next post.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Re: Postcards from Fiction Travels

[ Edited ]

Calcutta, India

"Just arrived in Calcutta where I'll be spending the summer trying to forget Madeline, the girl I thought I would someday marry.  Larry, my college roommate, will be joining me in a few weeks.  I just left him in Greece with his new boyfriend!  I didn't even know he was gay!"

Mitchell fromThe Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides

dhaupt

[ Edited ]

Love this idea ginger

right now I'm in England

In the Cotswolds in a cottage like this

in a village like this

reading

A Place in the Country   by Elizabeth Adler, who will be featured on Tuesday when the novel releases

Fifteen-year-old Issy, and her newly-single mother, Caroline Evans, are struggling to find their way alone, as well as together.  At thirty-eight, Caroline is coming to terms with this new life, even though she has little money and all the responsibility for the two of them.   When she decides to leave their well-off lives in Singapore (and her cheating husband and his long-time mistress and powerhouse),  she ends up living in an English village pub, cooking dinners to earn enough to get by on; meeting unexpectedly quirky people, and making friends. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

The forum been acting up on me for awhile so all I can do right now is give you the link to see the place. It's called the Amarican Enclave it's a the home of the Amaricians who are cool characters who like machines. You didn't say it had to be a real place. http://www.supercheats.com/guides/files/guid/tales-of-graces-f/4-21-2012_24.jpg
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I had an idea since the forum hasn't let me use pictures for last few days, I don't understand why even the add product button is not working right now anyways I'm going to give you guys a tour of the fictional world of one of my favorite video games I will do it by describing it since pictures won't do. I also apologize ahead of time cause the forum runs all my posts in blocks even if I try to put spaces in. Lhant--The home town of three of Tales of Graces F's heroes. It's a slow paced town with huge windmills and beautiful gardens. Barona--The Capitol City of the kingdom of Windor. Barona's main attraction is a huge crystal called a Cryias. The Cryias are power sources which get their energy from the planet itself and there's three huge ones in the world. Each one belongs to one of the three countries in the world. Unlike the other two though this one is has a city centered around it. Other attractions are the huge Barona castle which kinda looks like the Buckingham to me, and the knight academy which looks like a medieval high school. Gralesyde--The second largest city in Windor behind Barona. It has a mansion that belongs to a powerful Duke in the game. Gralesyde's main attraction though isn't technically in the city itself it's the fort leading up to the city on it's north side. It's called Wallbridge. It's a bridge and it's a wall obviously. It's huge granite stone that has a huge unit of soldiers at all times. Oui Raye--We are now leaving Windor and entering the country of Stravia. Oui Raye is mainly just a port town for the land lock bigger town of Sable Iso. But it does have a nice looking ocean scene at it's pier to board a ship. Sable Iso--Sable Iso is a research town that's centered around a huge research building that is the second tallest building in the entire world. Unlike most cities in the world, Sable Iso has no port at all. Yu Liberty--Starvia's capitol city, it's a beautiful city that has fountains that have pretty archways. The President of Starvia's house kinda looks like the White House. Warrior's Roost this area is independent island from the three countries. The island serves two purposes. The first being that Starvia isn't allow to sail into Fendel or Windor directly so they sail to the island and then sail to the other countries. The other purpose is the island's attraction which is a tower of combat that you can challenge with your heroes. Velnick--We are now entering Fendel and our first look isn't pretty. Velnick is a poor small town where the citizens live in bad conditions. Fendel.is an example of how elitist can keep other people in poor status. Zavhert--Suddenly we see a rich thriving city but we also see government officers that will silent freedom of speech. The main attraction here is Fendel Tower the tallest building in the world. It's a tower that is highly secured. There's weapon development, also houses a huge vault of riches ala Fort Knox. Amarican Enclave--Hidden high in the highlands is a tribe. The Amaricans created the technology to use Cryias. They also created other technology which is amazing such as teleport pads which their city uses, elevators, and even plumbing. Their main attraction is their hall of records. A huge computer with ancient history. Our tour of the world of Tales of Graces is complete. Please keep your hands in and selt belts on till the ride comes to a complete stop.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Cherry Blossom time in Washington, DC

It's beautiful in DC, but I'm too tied up in Donovan's murder investigation to enjoy the scenery.  All I seem to think about are my losses--my husband and the children in Nashville and now Donovan, the only other man I've ever really loved.

Sam   ( A Deeper Darkness by JT Ellison)

Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Greetings everyone.  I am now onsite at the palentalogical dig here in Kenya.  Michael Stiemson has managed to dig me into a real mess with this assignment as he sent me to date some mysterious metallic artifacts that they have found in a dinosauer dig.  It is hot and steamy and know one knows or understands the science I use to date objects from the past.  

What a mess he has landed me in.  I am glad that Mike is documenting it all in The Dig, as no one would ever believe all that has happened in the last few days if he hadn't so meticulously recorded it.  I just want to get things finished and get back home to where it is safe, and dry.

Mathew

The Dig   

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well I just left

The Savage River National Forest where Sam and Xander finally meet and we end

JT's novel A Deeper Darkness  

Where to next-hmmm

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Greetings everyone.  I am now onsite at the palentalogical dig here in Kenya.  Michael Stiemson has managed to dig me into a real mess with this assignment as he sent me to date some mysterious metallic artifacts that they have found in a dinosauer dig.  It is hot and steamy and know one knows or understands the science I use to date objects from the past.  

What a mess he has landed me in.  I am glad that Mike is documenting it all in The Dig, as no one would ever believe all that has happened in the last few days if he hadn't so meticulously recorded it.  I just want to get things finished and get back home to where it is safe, and dry.

Mathew

The Dig   

OOHH Muse !!! This looks good - I may have to add it to my TBR mountain !

Anne

dhaupt

Here's the scene from my terrace window port side in a castle in the middle east

and this in the inside courtyard

as I read Harlequin Presents for September

Duty and the Beast   

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Please excuse the abruptness of this message on the back of an old post card of the Holy City. But I must need to bury my note between the words of an old message. RUN HIDE, they come for us. Go to the place of memories of old. Take nothing with you. Disguise is necessary. Watch for my sifgn, i will come to you. The watchers are our protection. All haste is paramount Till then FORBIDDEN by Ted Dekker
A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:
Please excuse the abruptness of this message on the back of an old post card of the Holy City. But I must need to bury my note between the words of an old message. RUN HIDE, they come for us. Go to the place of memories of old. Take nothing with you. Disguise is necessary. Watch for my sifgn, i will come to you. The watchers are our protection. All haste is paramount
Till then
Forbidden  
FORBIDDEN by Ted Dekker

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

(Forbidden sounds intriguing, Muse.  It's going on my list, too.  In the meantime, I'm in Fez:smileyhappy:

Fez, Morocco

Outside the city wall, Fez is pastoral really--goats and olive trees.  Inside the walls, Fez offers exotic sights and sounds and smells.   Ah!  They are brewing the mint tea that I have heard is so famous throughout Morocco.  Must go.  It is impolite to refuse the offer of tea.  (Paul Bowles)

Travels   by Paul Bowles (sorry I'm slipping in a non-fiction here!)

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well it's been a few days since we had any postcards so here's where I've been. I just finished reading my New Release feature for Tuesday

One Breath Away  It took place in a small farming community in Iowa, it's this summer's must read if you like tense drama

imgres-1.jpeg

right now I'm reading Wicked Nights  by Gena Showalter it's the first in her new Warrior Angel series and it takes place somewhere like thisimgres.jpeg

where have the rest of you gone lately

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well I moved from my cloud and right now I'm in Atlanta

imgres-1.jpegimgres.jpeg

and I'm reading

Coming Up for Air  

I can not put it down

Scribe
Mountain_Muse

I am sorry that I must send an electronic postcard, but this pub I found on the coast here in Irland was all out of postcards. The old gent behind the bar who poured me a glass of lager keeps csting eyes at my upper and nether regions... Durn..I knew better than to respond to some old codger on facebook wanting to trade for goaats for his farm. I offered him three rowdy volunteers and twwo rscally grandkids as I was fresh out of goats. He told me to come on over and we could discuss it over a lager or two... and when willI have time for that? I haven't even been able to go to B&N and finish posting for week three on this month's thriller...geez like I just sit arond eating bon bons and counting goats or someething... Oh well hopefully I'll catch up and figure what this old codger is up to before I get myself into a heap of teouble. I wonder about my friends I left back on our Europen tour this siummer. Will they ever find me hidden here inthis hamlet hidden inthis book? MUSE The Pub Across The Pond
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:
I am sorry that I must send an electronic postcard, but this pub I found on the coast here in Irland was all out of postcards. The old gent behind the bar who poured me a glass of lager keeps csting eyes at my upper and nether regions... Durn..I knew better than to respond to some old codger on facebook wanting to trade for goaats for his farm. I offered him three rowdy volunteers and twwo rscally grandkids as I was fresh out of goats. He told me to come on over and we could discuss it over a lager or two... and when willI have time for that? I haven't even been able to go to B&N and finish posting for week three on this month's thriller...geez like I just sit arond eating bon bons and counting goats or someething... Oh well hopefully I'll catch up and figure what this old codger is up to before I get myself into a heap of teouble. I wonder about my friends I left back on our Europen tour this siummer. Will they ever find me hidden here inthis hamlet hidden inthis book? MUSE The Pub Across The Pond

crying with laughter emoticon

Muse I think I saw him too

I found him in this rural pub on my way to the west coast and our little town

dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well I'm still laughing at Muse's comment but thought I'd let you know that I'm now in the old money part of Bayside Alabama

This is similar to the main house my character is staying in while learning about her mother's past

this is the view she probably sees each morning

imgres.jpeg

I'm still reading 

Coming Up for Air  

I see a featured read in our future possibly

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

OMG!  I saw that same guy in Ireland in 1985!  He told me that kissing him was better than kissing the Blarney Stone--I , of course, politely demured.  Your Alabama destination looks beautiful, Deb.  With 90 degree temps here in KY, it looks so much cooler where you are! 

Anyway I'm at JKF on a five-hour layover  before I take off for PAP in Ireland.  I'll send a postcard tomorrow once I'm settled.

JFK International Airport NY

My flight for Ireland will leave about 9pm.  

The Pub Across the Pond by Mary Carter--reading begins tonight!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

ginger, I'll be looking for your postcards. We're expecting it to top out at 108 tomorrow, ugh.