Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

At the onset of chapter 8, Beth realizes that Max is not as great as she first thought.   She's still fixated on him though, and ignores all kinds of warning signals. How many of us have done that?

 

Woody, who happens to control Beth's money, visits for a weekend with Beth's cousin Mike and his girlfriend Phoebe.  Max makes a pass at Phoebe, but Beth more than makes up for that (subconsciously?) when she throws up all over him.  At least the reader gets some satisfaction!  Beth, sadly, is still head over heels.

 

By the end of chapter 12, Beth is completely in love with Max, and ready to give him a huge sum of money for an investment.   She just needs to clear it with her mom. 

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎12-06-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

I must confess, I'm not enjoying this book very much. It has its moments in between Beth's lovesick angst. I feel sacrilegious saying that about a DBF book, but it's true. Beth is planning a life around a man she barely knows & knows better than to trust. She's consumed with planning how to snag this guy who isn't worth her time. I'm starting to skim over her reveries. I'm disappointed, but will read on in the hopes that it gets better.

 

Forgive me, Dot!

 

Cathy

 

So many books...

 

CR: Return to Sullivans Island, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Golden Compass

RR: Through the Looking Glass, Finger Lickin' Fifteen, Revolutionary Road

TBR: River Cross My Heart, House of Sand & Fog, and then ...who knows!

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

Cathy,

 

Typical 22 year old thinking though, don't you think?   Beth is out in the world for the first time- she has a very romantic notion of relationships, and she is creating this one in her mind.  I think at this point, you're supposed to be cringing.  

Stephanie
Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎12-06-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

You are so right! Having read almost the entire book now, I take back what I said!

 

Cathy

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

NT

[ Edited ]
Message Edited by KathyS on 07-15-2009 09:55 AM
Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12


Purpyl wrote:

I must confess, I'm not enjoying this book very much. It has its moments in between Beth's lovesick angst. I feel sacrilegious saying that about a DBF book, but it's true. Beth is planning a life around a man she barely knows & knows better than to trust. She's consumed with planning how to snag this guy who isn't worth her time. I'm starting to skim over her reveries. I'm disappointed, but will read on in the hopes that it gets better.

 

Forgive me, Dot!

 

Cathy

 

So many books...

 

CR: Return to Sullivans Island, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Golden Compass

RR: Through the Looking Glass, Finger Lickin' Fifteen, Revolutionary Road

TBR: River Cross My Heart, House of Sand & Fog, and then ...who knows!


Darlin', You can't hurt my feelings so don't worry about that.  Listen, Beth is 23.  I don't know how old you are or if you have daughters in the zone of that age but here's how it is.  Young women will grab a relationship for all the wrong reasons - so they don't have to grow up alone, to prove their desirability - any number of reasons.  You have to try and remember how it is at that age.  There's just a lot of stupidity going around.  And that's only one part of this story.  To help out here but not to give anything away, this is a story about knowing what's important in life and where you belong on the planet.  It's not money, it's not even power.  It's about being where you belong, with whom you belong and living an honest life with integrity.  I wrote this story in 3d person - I have always published in 1st - because I didn't want to live in the head of a 23 year old either!  So 3d person give me the advantage of being able to look in the heads of others as well.  This may not be your favorite book of mine but then by the time you finish it maybe you'll see that it's not always about JUST the story but what we take away from the story.  For what this is worth, my editor and publicist who are two of the toughest critics I know, think this is the best book I have ever given them.  So hang in there and if you don't like it at the end, I'll come to your town and buy you a beer!


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


Inspired Contributor
Purpyl
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎12-06-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12


dotfrank wrote:

Purpyl wrote:

I must confess, I'm not enjoying this book very much. It has its moments in between Beth's lovesick angst. I feel sacrilegious saying that about a DBF book, but it's true. Beth is planning a life around a man she barely knows & knows better than to trust. She's consumed with planning how to snag this guy who isn't worth her time. I'm starting to skim over her reveries. I'm disappointed, but will read on in the hopes that it gets better.

 

Forgive me, Dot!

 

Cathy

 

So many books...

 

CR: Return to Sullivans Island, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Golden Compass

RR: Through the Looking Glass, Finger Lickin' Fifteen, Revolutionary Road

TBR: River Cross My Heart, House of Sand & Fog, and then ...who knows!


Darlin', You can't hurt my feelings so don't worry about that...So hang in there and if you don't like it at the end, I'll come to your town and buy you a beer!


As much as I'd love to sit & have a drink with you (sweet tea, perhaps?:smileyhappy:), after finishing the book, I must say I liked it very much!! Plantation is still my favorite, but I haven't read them all yet.

 

Looking forward to your next book...

 

Cathy

Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

Then sweet tea it is - I don't drink beer anyway - nasty stuff.  But I am glad you hung in there.  A 23 year old protagonist can be a challenge.

Purpyl wrote:

dotfrank wrote:

Purpyl wrote:

I must confess, I'm not enjoying this book very much. It has its moments in between Beth's lovesick angst. I feel sacrilegious saying that about a DBF book, but it's true. Beth is planning a life around a man she barely knows & knows better than to trust. She's consumed with planning how to snag this guy who isn't worth her time. I'm starting to skim over her reveries. I'm disappointed, but will read on in the hopes that it gets better.

 

Forgive me, Dot!

 

Cathy

 

So many books...

 

CR: Return to Sullivans Island, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Golden Compass

RR: Through the Looking Glass, Finger Lickin' Fifteen, Revolutionary Road

TBR: River Cross My Heart, House of Sand & Fog, and then ...who knows!


Darlin', You can't hurt my feelings so don't worry about that...So hang in there and if you don't like it at the end, I'll come to your town and buy you a beer!


As much as I'd love to sit & have a drink with you (sweet tea, perhaps?:smileyhappy:), after finishing the book, I must say I liked it very much!! Plantation is still my favorite, but I haven't read them all yet.

 

Looking forward to your next book...

 

Cathy


 


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

If I had enough paper I could probably tell you all how many times I've chosen the wrong guy, but I don't think there's enough trees left to do that.

More and more my slime meter is going up on Max, especially as camera shy as he acted in chapter 8. And I find my self scratching my head as to why she's picking him. Maybe it's the father figure syndrome.

BTW I really like Woody and I hope that somewhere down the road she'll think so too, because it's obvious she really respects and likes him especially after the comment she made about him making a good husband. 

Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12


dhaupt wrote:

If I had enough paper I could probably tell you all how many times I've chosen the wrong guy, but I don't think there's enough trees left to do that.

More and more my slime meter is going up on Max, especially as camera shy as he acted in chapter 8. And I find my self scratching my head as to why she's picking him. Maybe it's the father figure syndrome.

BTW I really like Woody and I hope that somewhere down the road she'll think so too, because it's obvious she really respects and likes him especially after the comment she made about him making a good husband. 


 

For years, I specialized in the wrong guys.  Now I watch my 23 year old daughter repeat history.  And her friends who litter my house all the time.  The stories I hear from them would make you laugh so hard and cry a little too!  Ah, youth!


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

My daughter and I only have one child just like Susan, is 29 she luckily chose the right guy from the start, they never have married but have been in a monogamous relationship for over 10 years and now she's starting to question if she's made the right choice. I can only sit back and let her make her mistakes and I truly feel the worst for him. But I know how you feel, being helpless to knock them in their heads and say, look this is the right choice what is wrong with you. That's just not in the cards as mothers of so called adult children.
Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

Exactly!


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.


Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12

Dot,

 

My wrong guys weren't bad guys, just wrong (really really wrong) for me.  The problem is it takes too long to figure out who the heck we really are - or, are going to be when we finally settle into our skin.  That's the kind of self-searching our kids need to do. 

 

 

Stephanie
Author
dotfrank
Posts: 222
Registered: ‎06-13-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Return to Sullivan's Island - Ch 8-12


Stephanie wrote:

Dot,

 

My wrong guys weren't bad guys, just wrong (really really wrong) for me.  The problem is it takes too long to figure out who the heck we really are - or, are going to be when we finally settle into our skin.  That's the kind of self-searching our kids need to do. 

 

 


 

You can saya that again!  (Oh, wait!  I did that for you.)


Learn more about Bulls Island.

Discover all Dorothea Benton Frank titles.