Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Science Fiction/Fantasy

[ Edited ]
Hi all,

I've read two or three suggestions for a Sci-Fi/Fantasy thread, so, I thought I'd make a place for it.

Does anyone have any favorite authors? Phillip K Dick? Asimov? Others?

Rachel

Message Edited by rkubie on 01-23-200708:28 PM

Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Gaiman/Prachett & Hawks & Moore

Last fall I read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Prachett and The Traveler by John Twelve Hawks for the BNU SciFi/Fantasy discussions. While completely different, they were both excellent books.

Good Omens was a humor-filled fantasy that had a great story, fun characters, and an intereting dilemma. The Traveler is the first book of a trilogy. It is more serious tale, action-packed and with strong characters. I heartily recommend both.

Christopher Moore also has some unique and funny fantasy books.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
New User
tbwhitt
0 Kudos

Re: Science Fiction/Fantasy

I love to read Pratchett as well as Brooks and others.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

I have read Terry Oratchett and enjoy his Disworld books. They have a lot of humor but they also have a lot of satire in them. Another author who has a lot of humor in his books is Piers Anthony's Xanth novels. They includ a lot of puns that he gets from his fans. If you are looking for something more in the hard science realm I would recommend Issac Asimov or Ben Bova. If you are looking for Alternative History I would asy that you might want to read Harry Turtledove or David Drake. There are authors like Elizabeth Moon and David Weber abd aksi David Drake that write Military History sci-fi/fantasy books. If anyone has others or other types of Sci-fi/fantay I would be interested in hearing about them.

I also recently read a new author Brandon Sanderson who wrote Elantris and Mistborn: The Final Empire both of them were very good. I look forward to reading more from him.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
Everyone needs some Tender Loving Care
New User
VampireAngel
0 Kudos

I myself love reading Vampire novels and such especially Anne Rice and Laurell K. Hamilton. The Anita Blake series is a Great read and very well written books. Also Anne Rice Books of the witches is a wonderful read. I also am now enjoying reading the Eragon books and Gregory McGuire is awesome with his Best sellers like WICKED and SON OF A WITCH, not to mention MIRROR, MIRROR, THE UGLY STEPSISTER, and LOST.

Michael
New User
sarcasm220
0 Kudos

My favorite Sci fi/fantasy authors are too many to list, but here's a few :smileyhappy:.

Ann McCaffrey
Mercedes Lackey
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Orson Scott Card
Terry Pratchett
Piers Anthony
Melanie Rawn

Just to name a few. I really like all of these writers for basically the same reason. They all seem to really get into human nature, and through fantasy point out the beauty and flaws of the human spirit. I like it when authors use their work as a social commentary without shoving it down our throats.

Trinity
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Lots of Terry Prachett here! What are your favorites? If we were to get a discussion going, which should we start with?

Rachel

New User
SableFlat
0 Kudos

I've enjoyed:

Stephen Donaldson
Anne McCaffrey (dragonrider books)
L E Modesitt, Jr (I like his fantasy (especially Recluse) better than Sci-Fi)
New User
ErisKnight
0 Kudos

Mark down another Pratchett fan - with emphasis on the Night Watch books. I also enjoyed Twelve Hawks' "The Traveler" and am anxiously awaiting the second :smileywink:

I enjoy most of the works by Neil Gaiman, P.K. Dick, Robert Heinlein, Fritz Leiber and Michael Moorcock.
New User
WirelessBubbles
0 Kudos

This is great - fantasy is definately my favorite genre to read. I favor Dave Duncan a lot, The Gilded Chain is one of my favorite books of all time. I also like Naomi Novik, Neil Gaiman, Mercedes Lackey, George M. Martin, Terry Pratchett (mark down another fan!), and so many others! If anybody wants to discuss these, I'm all for it!

I'm currently reading A Game Of Thrones by George M. Martin. It seems really good so far, anybody else read it?
*Brittany

"A good book can make all the difference."
New User
fallen_saint
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I thoroughly enjoyed the Ice and Fire Saga by George R. R. Martin. The four books get better and better. I have also read Dave Duncan, Gemmell, David Farland, and David Coe's books.

~Gabriel~

Message Edited by fallen_saint on 01-27-200703:27 PM

New User
radtek71
0 Kudos

my fav,s are any vampire novel by anne rice. george rr martin a song of ice and fire series is great ,and robert jordan wheel of time series ( 11 books in this series but very good)
New User
thewonderelf
0 Kudos

I love Neil Gaimen, but I think some of his endings are a bit anti-climatic... I've been meaning to read Terry Pratchett; I guess he must be good if he's got such a big fanbase!

I would second the recommendation of David Weber... Anyone who enjoys chicks that rock or military scifi should check out the Honor Harrington series.

I recently read Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End, which was excellent, and I highly recommend it. It's an interesting book because it doesn't follow the same main character throughout and covers several hundred years of future human history.

No one has mentioned any comics yet, so... everyone owes it to themselves to check out Fables, Y: The Last Man, and Neil Gaimen's The Sandman if you haven't already. These are all mature books aimed at older readers. In Fables, Bill Willingham takes all of our favorite fairy tale characters, drives them from their homelands, and throws them into the buzz and bustle of New York City. James Jean's covers are fantastic, and overall the book is just excellence. Not your average superhero fare, for sure (not that I have anything against superheroes).

Y: The Last Man is a little more scifi. It's written by Brian K. Vaugn, and all the men and male animales have been killed by some mysterious plague, with the exception of two: some random kid and his pet monkey. He meets a scientist, and together they decide to try to save the human race. Add a secret government agent, and viola! A plot is born. But seriously, it's good.

Many of you are probably familiar with Sandman, but for those who aren't, it follows Dream, the personification of dreams, as well as his family members Destiny, Death, Delirium, Destruction, Despair, and Desire. In my opinion this is the best thing Gaimen's ever written.
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

How about authors that have been published in the United Kingdom or Australia? I know some of them are now being published in the US but does anyone know of new authors that are just coming into the country. I find it interesting how their perspeption on things is different from what US authors is. I find that it is very refreshing and gives an insight to other cultures. I found Juliet E. McKenna's Einarinn series very well done but different from someone like Mercedes Lackey. But both are very good. In fact it would be interesting to know authors from a lot of different countries and cultures.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
New User
chris_nh
0 Kudos

In the science fiction genre, I'd have to say Frank Herbert is my favorite author by far. His Dune series is amazing. There is an excellent story with interesting, in-depth characters. And at the same time he manages to discuss politics, philosophy, relationships, and more. Its the only series of books I've read more than once; and I could still read them all again. I really can't say enough about these novels. =)
New User
spikeandsora
0 Kudos

I've read some Michael Crichton, a Doctor Who book, and some Thursday Next books. That's all I can think of at the moment.
"No second chances. I'm that sort of man."-The Tenth Doctor
"As everything is born, they are also condemned to die."-Haku
New User
spikeandsora
0 Kudos

spikeandsora wrote:
I've read some Michael Crichton, a Doctor Who book, and some Thursday Next books. That's all I can think of at the moment.

I also read the Eragon books, but I am stuck in the middle of Eldest.
"No second chances. I'm that sort of man."-The Tenth Doctor
"As everything is born, they are also condemned to die."-Haku
Al
New User
Al
0 Kudos

One author from Australia I've greatly enjoyed is Sara Douglass. In particular her Wayfarer Redemption series. Very good books and the last book is the most expensive paperback I've ever bought because I got tired of waiting for it to be published in the US and just had it shipped from Australia.

For Science Fiction some of my favorite authors are:
David Weber
John Ringo
Frank Herbert
Inspired Bibliophile
Nelsmom
0 Kudos

Has anyone read Jennifer Fallon's books and what do you think of her. I am reading Medilon, I know she has other books I would like to know how others feel about her work.

Toni
Toni L. Chapman
New User
WirelessBubbles
0 Kudos

whoops

I meant George R.R. Martin. :smileyhappy: Sorry about any confusion!
*Brittany

"A good book can make all the difference."