Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
cfite
0 Kudos

Re: Seeking good historical/genre fiction books with a bit of the forbidden

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned yet, unless I missed it.

Through a Glass Darkly by Karleen Koen. The story takes place in the early 1700's in England and then the main characters move to France. I am currently in the middle of the book. So far, it is pretty good. It is full of romance, betrayal, passion, scandals, duels...

Here is an excerpt from the back of the book...Through a Glass Darkly swirls around unforgettable characters: Barbara Alderley, a breathtakingly beautiful young noblewoman; her husband, Roger Montgeoffry, who is consumed with the anguish of dark desires; her grandmother, a duchess who rules with cunning and wit; and her mother, the cruel, licentious Diana. It is a story of love, of romance and of a family awash in the red ink of betrayal.

My absolute favorite historical fiction is Diana Gabaldon's Outlander. I read it in the past, however, I am now listening to it on cd unabridged. For all you Jamie / Claire fans out there, pick up Outlander on cd!!! It is great to listen while you're in the car. Davina Porter, who reads the story, gives new light and breath to the characters and storyline!
C.Fite

"The thing under my bed waiting to grab my ankle isn't real. I know that, and I also know that if I'm careful to keep my foot under the covers, it will never be able to grab my ankle." - Stephen King, in the foreword of Night Shift.
Contributor
Kinsasha
0 Kudos

I've got Jean Plaidy's back. That lady is awesome. Plus, she has a million diff't periods in which she writes, so the fun never stops! And even better, her stuff is pretty historically accurate too. Be well!
Correspondent
AlmH
0 Kudos

Well I can recommend a historical BUT it isn't laced with rich details of the era; however there is quite a bit of history regarding the Pinkerton Security Agency.  There is some lust in there also.  Briefly:

Most Feared 

____

Historical 1869: Five year army veteran 1st Sergeant Trent Long and Pinkerton Agent, thought being set-up, charged, tried and convicted for murder and attempted stagecoach robbery of 2 million dollars in US gold was the worse thing that could happen to him. Little did he know that it was only just the beginning. Trent had been attempting to prove his innocence behind bars, but what he didn’t know was that the Warden of the prison set him up to take the fall and now he wants him dead before an investigation leads to him and his brother-in-law as the masterminds behind the failed stagecoach robbery that left US Marshals dead. A botch attempt on Trent’s life turns him into an escape convict and the Warden wants him found; preferably dead. One day out hunting in the woods, China lucked upon finding a very naked and virile Trent Long. What was a lonely farm girl and huntress to do when a perfectly suited able-bodied man appeared before her? Hmm…

Hope this helps... ^__^

eBooks by Alm Hlgh

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=book&ATH=Alm+Hlgh