Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Right now I'm almost finished with

New York to Dallas (In Death Series #33)  

 

and I'm not sure what's next :smileyhappy:

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Still reading Gone With the Wind!

Gone with the Wind  

Just checked The Purpose Driven Life out of the library to read in conjunction with the Beth Moore bible study Living Beyond Yourself.

The Purpose Driven Life 

Living beyond Yourself   

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
Posts: 848
Registered: ‎08-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Home Before Dark  Dark Predator (Dark Series #22)  
dhaupt wrote:

Right now I'm almost finished with

New York to Dallas (In Death Series #33)  

 

and I'm not sure what's next :smileyhappy:


 

 

 

OOOOHHHH Debbie !!!!    I'm jealous !! I'll be reading that the day it comes out. Right now I'm about halfway through the new Christine Feehan - Dark Predator. It's a little different from her others - which I like.  There's a new Susan Wiggs book that's just out - Home Before Dark. Happy Reading, all...

 

Anne


 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


1AnneB wrote:
Home Before Dark   Dark Predator (Dark Series #22)  
dhaupt wrote:

Right now I'm almost finished with

New York to Dallas (In Death Series #33)  

 

and I'm not sure what's next :smileyhappy:


 

 

 

OOOOHHHH Debbie !!!!    I'm jealous !! I'll be reading that the day it comes out. Right now I'm about halfway through the new Christine Feehan - Dark Predator. It's a little different from her others - which I like.  There's a new Susan Wiggs book that's just out - Home Before Dark. Happy Reading, all...

 

Anne


 


Anne, yeah I got an arc and it's a good one and the Susan Wiggs is really a re-issue but it really looks good.

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


Fozzie wrote:

Still reading Gone With the Wind!

Gone with the Wind  

Just checked The Purpose Driven Life out of the library to read in conjunction with the Beth Moore bible study Living Beyond Yourself.

The Purpose Driven Life 

Living beyond Yourself   


Hi Laura, wow it's been ages since I read GWTW, are you enjoying it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
Posts: 6,768
Registered: ‎04-04-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

The Way We Live Now  by Anthony Trollope

 

I'm close to Chapter 40 of this in close reading.  Skimmed the remainder today for the story.

 

It is indeed writing that calls out for close reading -- Trollope's twists and turns and sardonic observations of his characters can't all be savored by skimming.  But that does make it slower reading than I like at times.  Still, I can't help at wonder at the fun the author must have had as he created these characters and charted the fits and starts of their actions and emotions.

 

The story has some delightful characters -- Lady Matilda Carbury, author of historical romances; Nicholas Bourne, Esq., publisher and suitor; Sir Felix, baron and scoundrel son; poor little rich girl Marie Melmotte and her ambitious father, the flour-covered  miller John Crumb, the buxom country maid Ruby and her grandfather, old Ruggles; the Americans, and a goodly handful more, including the gentlemanly squire Roger Carbury and the peevish clergy figures.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


dhaupt wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Still reading Gone With the Wind!

Gone with the Wind  

 


Hi Laura, wow it's been ages since I read GWTW, are you enjoying it.



Yes!  It is long, but there are lots of twist and turns.  The writing is very detailed and the reader gets to know Scarlett intimately.  Still 300 more pages to go out of 900, but at this point, I would whole heartedly recommend it.  

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Correspondent
seasanddollar
Posts: 257
Registered: ‎12-08-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Almost finished with 

The Air We Breathe , and reading 

Baltimore Blues (Tess Monaghan Series #1)  .and

Hot Blooded (New Orleans Series #1)   . After that I will probably go to second in both series and I'm hoping to go back to 

Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum Series #2)  and start 

Fatal Affair (Fatal Series #1)  . As you can see I seem to try and read too many at once!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


Fozzie wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Still reading Gone With the Wind!

Gone with the Wind  

 


Hi Laura, wow it's been ages since I read GWTW, are you enjoying it.



Yes!  It is long, but there are lots of twist and turns.  The writing is very detailed and the reader gets to know Scarlett intimately.  Still 300 more pages to go out of 900, but at this point, I would whole heartedly recommend it.  



Gads, it's been over 40 years ago that I read this book, and I'll never forget where I was at this time.  I hadn't been married but a few years, and my husband worked for Long Beach PD, here in Calif.  I was alone in the evenings, so I read a lot.  I was thoroughly enjoying this book, but when I got to the end, I was so darn mad at how this author ended it, I took it and threw it as hard as I could across the room into a wall!  I was furious!  At the time, I didn't know there was a name for the type of reader I am.

 

Anyway, years later, that didn't stop me from wanting to go see the movie when it was re-released in Los Angeles.  I had never seen it before this time. The movie was almost word for word, as was written in the book.  Of course I enjoyed seeing what my imagination had in mind for these scenes.  I did enjoy the movie, and thankfully I didn't feel like punching a hole in the movie screen!  Ha!  By that time, I had had a few years of psychology under my belt, and understood why it had to end the way it did, but wished that both Rhett and Scarlett could have had family counseling, for their sake! :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


KathyS wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Still reading Gone With the Wind!

Gone with the Wind  

 


Hi Laura, wow it's been ages since I read GWTW, are you enjoying it.



Yes!  It is long, but there are lots of twist and turns.  The writing is very detailed and the reader gets to know Scarlett intimately.  Still 300 more pages to go out of 900, but at this point, I would whole heartedly recommend it.  



Gads, it's been over 40 years ago that I read this book, and I'll never forget where I was at this time.  I hadn't been married but a few years, and my husband worked for Long Beach PD, here in Calif.  I was alone in the evenings, so I read a lot.  I was thoroughly enjoying this book, but when I got to the end, I was so darn mad at how this author ended it, I took it and threw it as hard as I could across the room into a wall!  I was furious!  At the time, I didn't know there was a name for the type of reader I am.

 

Anyway, years later, that didn't stop me from wanting to go see the movie when it was re-released in Los Angeles.  I had never seen it before this time. The movie was almost word for word, as was written in the book.  Of course I enjoyed seeing what my imagination had in mind for these scenes.  I did enjoy the movie, and thankfully I didn't feel like punching a hole in the movie screen!  Ha!  By that time, I had had a few years of psychology under my belt, and understood why it had to end the way it did, but wished that both Rhett and Scarlett could have had family counseling, for their sake! :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 


Hmmm...wonder what I will think of the ending?

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


Fozzie wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Still reading Gone With the Wind!

Gone with the Wind  

 


Hi Laura, wow it's been ages since I read GWTW, are you enjoying it.



Yes!  It is long, but there are lots of twist and turns.  The writing is very detailed and the reader gets to know Scarlett intimately.  Still 300 more pages to go out of 900, but at this point, I would whole heartedly recommend it.  



Gads, it's been over 40 years ago that I read this book, and I'll never forget where I was at this time.  I hadn't been married but a few years, and my husband worked for Long Beach PD, here in Calif.  I was alone in the evenings, so I read a lot.  I was thoroughly enjoying this book, but when I got to the end, I was so darn mad at how this author ended it, I took it and threw it as hard as I could across the room into a wall!  I was furious!  At the time, I didn't know there was a name for the type of reader I am.

 

Anyway, years later, that didn't stop me from wanting to go see the movie when it was re-released in Los Angeles.  I had never seen it before this time. The movie was almost word for word, as was written in the book.  Of course I enjoyed seeing what my imagination had in mind for these scenes.  I did enjoy the movie, and thankfully I didn't feel like punching a hole in the movie screen!  Ha!  By that time, I had had a few years of psychology under my belt, and understood why it had to end the way it did, but wished that both Rhett and Scarlett could have had family counseling, for their sake! :smileyvery-happy:

 

 

 


Hmmm...wonder what I will think of the ending?


I wonder.  Report back!  Laura, maybe you'll just think I was nuts, and over-reacted. That book was a big emotional investment for me.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Laura, I agree with Kathy tell us how you thought of the ending when you're done

 

Over the weekend I finished

Blood Bound  

 

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-of-blood-bound-by-rachel-vincent.html

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
Posts: 790
Registered: ‎01-05-2011

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
Posts: 3,287
Registered: ‎10-24-2008

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

It's non fiction right now.  I am finding it pretty fascinating though, and I no longer like General MacArthur.

 

State vs. Defense  

 

 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

I just finished

The Evil Inside  

 

Review tomorrow

Scribe
optic_i
Posts: 749
Registered: ‎06-26-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Hi Debbie,  Thank you for inviting us to post here. I have an Idea for a post that may be fun & interesting ! :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

The Year of Fog  

 

Reading this one for my next face to face book club. I have absolutely no clue what is next on my bookshelf by I have a strong feeling it will be this one:

Room  

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,832
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


optic_i wrote:

Hi Debbie,  Thank you for inviting us to post here. I have an Idea for a post that may be fun & interesting ! :smileyhappy:


Go for it!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,893
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

The Language of Flowers  

The Winters in Bloom