Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

pjpick wrote:

Golden Age Just picked this one up. I'm not very far into it but it shows promise!  

HI pj good to hear from you :smileyhappy:

Happy 4th tomorrow

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Weekend Reading

[ Edited ]

It's Friday time to tell what's on your weekend reading plate

I'll be continuing my July Featured read 

The Last Policeman  

(interested go to my blog to find out more

I hope to read my copy of the novel I featured yesterday - That won a coveted starred Kirkus Review and was chosen for their best of 2012 novels

The Secret Sense of Wildflower  

and hopefully get to my arc of

The Wrong Girl   sent to me by the fabulous Hank Phillipi Ryan

Then of course I'm reading my RT required reviews for the October issue which includes my two HQN series plus a fantasy that looks really good (fingers crossed) 

The Incrementalists  

So what are you reading this Weekend?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading

Hey peeps trying to keep the boards open even though there isn't much action anymore.

But I love it here and I hope there are still those of you out there who do to.

So what's on your weekend reading plate

here's mine

The Wrong Girl  

and the first two ebooks in a new series written by a former RT reviewer

Rings of Anubis  

Then book two Silver and Steam

then it's onto 

The Final Cut  

by legendary author Catherine Coulter and one of my legendaries JT Ellison

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well it's that time again Friday and time to tell us what's on your weekend reading plate

here's mine

The Final Cut  

Finishing 

The Boy Who Said No  

a great novel based on a real story about a man's escape from Castro Cuba

Then I'll be starting on my November ( I know) RT reviews including

HQN series diva Sarah Morgan whose penning her very first full length novel

Sleigh Bells in the Snow  

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

Debbie,

What's your secret for using the "add product" feature?  I have not been able to post anything for a couple of weeks.  I've even noticed on the freebie board that only the links are now posted without the book covers. 

Any suggestions?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Debbie,

What's your secret for using the "add product" feature?  I have not been able to post anything for a couple of weeks.  I've even noticed on the freebie board that only the links are now posted without the book covers. 

Any suggestions?

Hey TarHeelGirl it's good to see you.

this problem has been going on for ever it seems.

What I do is to type in all the text first and type in the title of the book I want to "add" then after all the text is in I go to the add product feature and replace the text version with the add product by highlighting it. Something else that seems to work is after you finish the post edit it and the add product will work with text then too.

The problems will probably not go away sorry :smileysad:

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Gauntlet (A Thriller)   by Jason Melby.

Still couldn't get the add product to work correctly.

Contributor
SusanGabriel
0 Kudos

The Language of Flowers  I just finished The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I can't decide if I totally bought the ending, but it was a very fine read. I now know more about flowers than I ever dreamed. I also liked the way the writer went back and forth between present time and the past. It made perfect sense and I thought it worked for telling this story.

As a writer myself, I read lots of novels, which is what I also write. I thought this one was very well done.

Anyone else feel the same?

Susan Gabriel

author of The Secret Sense of Wildflower

(starred review--Kirkus and voted a best book of 2012)

Author of the novel, The Secret Sense of Wildflower (historical, southern, coming-of-age). Starred review by Kirkus Reviews (for "books of exceptional merit") and voted one of their Best Books of 2012.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

SusanGabriel wrote:

The Language of Flowers  I just finished The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh. I can't decide if I totally bought the ending, but it was a very fine read. I now know more about flowers than I ever dreamed. I also liked the way the writer went back and forth between present time and the past. It made perfect sense and I thought it worked for telling this story.

As a writer myself, I read lots of novels, which is what I also write. I thought this one was very well done.

Anyone else feel the same?

Susan Gabriel

author of The Secret Sense of Wildflower

(starred review--Kirkus and voted a best book of 2012)

Thanks Susan.

what about the ending didn't you buy if you can say without giving away the whole concept.

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

I am reading Broken Skin by Stuart MacBride.  It is the 3rd in the Logan McRae series.  The first one was a Free Friday book some time ago and I really got to like the characters.  Logan is sort of like a Scottish Harry Bosch!

Broken Skin (Logan McRae, Book 3)  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

I am reading Broken Skin by Stuart MacBride.  It is the 3rd in the Logan McRae series.  The first one was a Free Friday book some time ago and I really got to like the characters.  Logan is sort of like a Scottish Harry Bosch!

Broken Skin (Logan McRae, Book 3)  

Thanks for the update TarHeelGirl glad the hint worked :smileywink:

How are those Tar Heels doing ?

thanks for posting I'm trying to keep this site alive 

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

Weekend Reading

Beauty to Die For  My weekend reading is "Beauty to Die for" by Kim Alexis and Mindy Starns Clark.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but so far, I'm impressed. It's a well-written murder mystery.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Beauty to Die For  My weekend reading is "Beauty to Die for" by Kim Alexis and Mindy Starns Clark.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but so far, I'm impressed. It's a well-written murder mystery.

Thanks for the update TarHeelGirl. It is a funny/cozy mystery?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well friends it's Friday that means it's time to tell us what's on your reading plate for the weekend

I'm as usual knee deep in my reviews for RT Magazine which include for their December issue

Supervolcano   the third in Harry's Supervolcano trilogy

then 

Seven Sorcerers   the third in John Fultz's trilogy

and if I have time a new one by Ian Tregillis

Something More Than Night  

I just love his Sci-Fi stuff

okay your turn !! 

Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

TarHeelGirl00 wrote:

Thanks for the update TarHeelGirl. It is a funny/cozy mystery?

Judging by the cover, you would think so, and it kind of is, but not totally either.  Does that answer you question? ha-ha

The main character is a former model who now has a beauty products company. Without giving too much away, her company is participating in a retreat at a spa and a murder takes place during the event.  So unlike so many cozy mysteries, she doesn't go snooping around looking for trouble, but she does become involved because of her business.  It is still a fairly light read, but so far, it's maybe a little more suspenseful than some cozy mysteries.

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

You Don't Want To Know

Just started it but seems interesting...

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

You Don't Want To Know

Just started it but seems interesting...

Andreea I LOVE Lisa Jackson

Reader 4
krazyangel
0 Kudos

Hello TarHeelGirl. Just want to ask if you are from NC? I am in Lexington NC and I am a TarHeel fan also. Hope you have a good weekend and good reads.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

krazyangel wrote:
Hello TarHeelGirl. Just want to ask if you are from NC? I am in Lexington NC and I am a TarHeel fan also. Hope you have a good weekend and good reads.

I hope TarHeelGirl answered you krazyangel, if not you can always send her a private message and thanks for stopping by 

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well Happy Friday Peeps

time to tell all about your reading plans for the weekend

Me I'm finishing up my December reviews for RT magazine with a triple sci-fi play

Supervolcano  

Seven Sorcerers  

Something More Than Night