Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


justbooksAC wrote:

Stand Out  I am a HUGE John Sandford fan, but recently started reading a brand new author... I was skeptical at first, as I am not usually on to try new authors.  After a couple months of hearing about this woman's first book, I finally decided I would check it out.  I am almost finished with "Stand-In" by Kay Reno and I received my copy of her second book "Stand Out: Devil Seed" yesterday!  I am HOOKED.  The first one has sucked me in... I called in to work today so that I can stay home and finish it and rip right into the next one!  There will apparently be a third book, and I am already praying it will be out soon.

 

I want to talk about these books with people!!  I felt so out of the loop when I would hear others talking about them... I am now at a loss as to who is my favorite author... John Sandford or Kay Reno!  Check these books out and let's chat people!!


Thanks for the suggestion and welcome to the forum!

New User
justbooksAC
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-15-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Thanks Debbie!!  Glad to be here!

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

One Breath Away  After turfing the Blue Tattoo, I picked this one up.  Although the number of characters and their separate voices can be a little distracting at times I'm finding it to be good so far (only about 90 pages in). I had picked this up a while back but the Aurora theatre shooting occurred the next day and had to put it aside for obvious reasons.

 

 

PJ, you'll have to let us know how you liked this one, it definitely took my breath away.

Here's the interview w/ the author and my review


Hi Debbie, Finished this last night. I think it says a lot about this book that I finished it so quickly. I recently had surgery and am on some pretty strong pain medicine and needed a book that could keep me focused and this one certainly did that! I was a little worried because of the author's technique of using several voices but they were so well defined that I had no problem.Anyway, I enjoyed the book and have recommended it to several friends. I've put this author on my "author's to look for" list.

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading


pjpick wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

One Breath Away  After turfing the Blue Tattoo, I picked this one up.  Although the number of characters and their separate voices can be a little distracting at times I'm finding it to be good so far (only about 90 pages in). I had picked this up a while back but the Aurora theatre shooting occurred the next day and had to put it aside for obvious reasons.

 

 

PJ, you'll have to let us know how you liked this one, it definitely took my breath away.

Here's the interview w/ the author and my review


Hi Debbie, Finished this last night. I think it says a lot about this book that I finished it so quickly. I recently had surgery and am on some pretty strong pain medicine and needed a book that could keep me focused and this one certainly did that! I was a little worried because of the author's technique of using several voices but they were so well defined that I had no problem.Anyway, I enjoyed the book and have recommended it to several friends. I've put this author on my "author's to look for" list.


PJ, first I hope you're feeling better.

Second, this author definitely pushes all the right reading buttons for me, she's also an interesting person to know, so I hope you enjoyed the interview. I've read her before and enjoyed her immensely.

Get Well Soon :smileysad:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading

[ Edited ]

Thanks Debbie, It's mainly physical therapy at this point (had a total knee replacement). No pain, no gain!

:smileysurprised:

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading


pjpick wrote:

Thanks Debbie, It's mainly physical therapy at this point (had a total knee replacement). No pain, no gain!

:smileysurprised:


Good, here's your new coffee mug :smileyhappy:

 

imgres-1.jpeg

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading


dhaupt wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Thanks Debbie, It's mainly physical therapy at this point (had a total knee replacement). No pain, no gain!

:smileysurprised:


Good, here's your new coffee mug :smileyhappy:

 

imgres-1.jpeg


LOL! I haven't seen one of those. I'll take four please.

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006

Re: Weekend Reading

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading

ROFLMAO, Oh Debbie. That's priceless!

 

New User
Dark1X
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎03-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Looking for a new read of "dark fiction" material? I'm the "new kid" on the block! I invite you, and everyone you know, to go check out my new "dark" web site @ www.daoodbrown.com... You will NOT be disappointed.
"Dark Fiction"
New User
Dark1X
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎03-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

"Black As Snow". I like the title. Hope the book proves to be just as good! Anyhow, this is the "new kid" on the block, inviting all persons, looking for new "fresh" material, to go check out my brand new "dark fiction" web site, @ www.daoodbrown.com... You won't regret doing so, I assure you!!!
"Dark Fiction"
New User
Dark1X
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎03-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Wow!!! Sounds exciting! Well...along your road of reading and exploring a variation of different "dark" authors, I invite you, and every person you know, that's thrilled about the macabre genre, to promptly go and check out my new "dark fiction" web site, @ www.daoodbrown.com... You'll be excited that you did!
"Dark Fiction"
New User
Dark1X
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎03-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

Looks like I've found the right group of readers, this time around! I'm the "new dark writer" on the block, inviting you to go check out my new site, dedicated to lovers of chilling suspense and terror. I bet you'll enjoy each captivating tale I've made available there @ www.daoodbrown.com... Enjoy!!!
"Dark Fiction"
New User
Dark1X
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎03-19-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

"Blood Bound"! I've gotta go fetch that book myself! I love the title of it! Anyhow, as you're likely hearing around: There's a "new kid" in town, and his mind is filled with all sorts of dark, chilling surprises... Go check out my new "dark fiction" web site @ www.daoodbrown.com... Let me know what you think!
"Dark Fiction"
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


Dark1X wrote:
"Blood Bound"! I've gotta go fetch that book myself! I love the title of it! Anyhow, as you're likely hearing around: There's a "new kid" in town, and his mind is filled with all sorts of dark, chilling surprises... Go check out my new "dark fiction" web site @ www.daoodbrown.com... Let me know what you think!

Hi Dark1X and welcome to the forum, your stories are enticing. Good luck with them.

I hope you enjoy what we've suggested too.

 

Don't forget to try Paul Goat Allen's Paranormal room too, you'll find a lot of like minded souls there-http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Paranormal-Urban-Fantasy/bd-p/vpttn

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

[ Edited ]

Run  Picked this one up for two particular reasons: it was one of the shorter books in my bookshelf; and it was borrowed, and figured I should be returning it soon. Otherwise I know absolutely nothing about it. I've only read one Ann Patchett book (Bel Canto) and that was 10ish years ago.

Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


pjpick wrote:

Run  Picked this one up for two particular reasons: it was one of the shorter books in my bookshelf; and it was borrowed, and figured I should be returning it soon. Otherwise I know absolutely nothing about it. I've only read one Ann Patchett book (Bel Canto) and that was 10ish years ago.


I liked this book a lot.  I gave it four out of five stars.

 

I am currently reading State of Wonder, another of the author's books.  I, too, have read Bel Canto.  All three of the books are completely different!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
TarHeelGirl00
Posts: 741
Registered: ‎02-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Weekend Reading

The Last Coyote (Harry Bosch Series #4)

 

Finally getting back to continuing the Bosch series...

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf


Fozzie wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Run  Picked this one up for two particular reasons: it was one of the shorter books in my bookshelf; and it was borrowed, and figured I should be returning it soon. Otherwise I know absolutely nothing about it. I've only read one Ann Patchett book (Bel Canto) and that was 10ish years ago.


I liked this book a lot.  I gave it four out of five stars.

 

I am currently reading State of Wonder, another of the author's books.  I, too, have read Bel Canto.  All three of the books are completely different!


Hi Fozzie,

I finished it last night and enjoyed it. I like the way she writes. I haven't heard of State of Wonder. I check it out.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
Posts: 1,043
Registered: ‎03-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

[ Edited ]

Kosher Chinese  It's snowing outside and I'm looking for another read. Pulled this one out of my book case. I don't even remember buying it. LOL. Anyway, I'm about 50 pages in and am enjoying it so far.