Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Re: Currently Reading

You are making better headway on this one than I am.  I'm really liking it so far as I'm enjoying the pace the author has going.  I can't wait to hear what you think once you are done.

Peppermill wrote:

Peppermill wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Instant City by Steve Inskeep

I'm just getting started on this one, but enjoying it so far.

This is from the B&N site

From the host of NPR's Morning Edition, a deeply reported portrait of Karachi, Pakistan, a city that illuminates the perils and possibilities of rapidly growing metropolises all around the world.

In recent decades, the world has seen an unprecedented shift of people from the countryside into cities. As Steve Inskeep so aptly puts it, we are now living in the age of the "instant city," when new megacities can emerge practically overnight, creating a host of unique pressures surrounding land use, energy, housing, and the environment. In his first book, the co-host of Morning Edition explores how this epic migration has transformed one of the world's most intriguing instant cities: Karachi, Pakistan.

Karachi has exploded from a colonial port town of 350,000 in 1941 to a sprawling metropolis of at least 13 million today. As the booming commercial center of Pakistan, Karachi is perhaps the largest city whose stability is a vital security concern of the United States, and yet it is a place that Americans have frequently misunderstood.

As Inskeep underscores, one of the great ironies of Karachi's history is that the decision to divide Pakistan and India along religious lines in 1947 only unleashed deeper divisions within the city-over religious sect, ethnic group, and political party. In Instant City, Inskeep investigates the 2009 bombing of a Shia religious procession that killed dozens of people and led to further acts of terrorism, including widespread arson at a popular market. As he discovers, the bombing is in many ways a microcosm of the numerous conflicts that divide Karachi, because people wondered if the perpetrators were motivated by religious fervor, political revenge, or simply a desire to make way for new real estate in the heart of the city. Despite the violence that frequently consumes Karachi, Inskeep finds remarkable signs of the city's tolerance, vitality, and thriving civil society-from a world-renowned ambulance service to a socially innovative project that helps residents of the vast squatter neighborhoods find their own solutions to sanitation, health care, and education.

Drawing on interviews with a broad cross section of Karachi residents, from ER doctors to architects to shopkeepers, Inskeep has created a vibrant and nuanced portrait of the forces competing to shape the future of one of the world's fastest growing cities.

Thanks. Ryan!  I see the pub date is listed as 10/13/2011!  I have sent a heads up on to several in my personal circle of reader-friends who might be interested in a book like this one.

I picked this up at my library Tuesday and am on Chapter 10.  If you know as little about Pakistan as I do, this is definitely a read to consider adding to yours.  It reads quickly and introduces one to lots of bits of history and recent fact and conditions.  The style is journalistic.  Sometimes one gets diverted into the stories of "instant cities" elsewhere on the globe, but Inskeep soon brings the reader back to Karachi.  With Pakistan in the news and such a critical, rogue player on the world scene, we probably all need to understand that country and its history better.

In looking at reviews today, I found these others may be of interest on the area, each book with its strengths and weaknesses, not all readily available "new":

The Great Partition by Yasmin Khan

The Shadow of the Great Game by Narendra Singh Sarila

India  by Patrick French, also, Liberty or Death

Of course, the great fiction modern classic on Partition (or at least one of them) is:

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

I finally read this a few years ago, and hope to reread it some day.

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Re: Tell us what you're reading right now and what's next on your shelf

I started yesterday:

The Hypnotist

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Ryan_G wrote:

You are making better headway on this one than I am.  I'm really liking it so far as I'm enjoying the pace the author has going.  I can't wait to hear what you think once you are done.

Ryan_G wrote:

From the host of NPR's Morning Edition, a deeply reported portrait of Karachi, Pakistan, a city that illuminates the perils and possibilities of rapidly growing metropolises all around the world.

In recent decades, the world has seen an unprecedented shift of people from the countryside into cities. As Steve Inskeep so aptly puts it, we are now living in the age of the "instant city," when new megacities can emerge practically overnight, creating a host of unique pressures surrounding land use, energy, housing, and the environment.

Ryan -- this one has mesmerized me.  Hillary and Petraeus and Dempsey all being in Pakistan this week has helped sustain the interest.  I have only a chapter or so to go -- have to do some other things, or would probably have finished.  I will probably do as I did for Friedman's book (That Used to Be Us), buy a copy so I can share it and discuss it with family and others.  I don't recall, however, discussion of the Haqqani network, which seems to be a primary concern of the U.S. right now.  (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/21/hilary-clinton-pakistan-taliban)  But the sequence of events, from Partition in 1947 through the mass migrations that followed to the desperate needs for functioning governments and property rights to the pressures of minorities within the Muslims themselves has been fascinating to read about.  There are heads-up messages here for both domestic and international politics.  While at times I get frustrated with Inskeep's writing -- the jumps to other global spots, the stories that interrupt and then resume, the repetitions -- sometimes useful, sometimes irritating -- overall the experience has been most worthwhile.  I feel as if I have come to know some of his chief sources -- and their stories are poignantly human -- sometimes humane, sometimes much less so.  I won't pretend this one book has taught me "a lot" about Pakistan, but I do know that it has and will make me much more aware of what I read in the future -- sort of like a partially completed jigsaw puzzle where one has parts of the border and some interesting junks of the interior fitted together and now one goes looking for more pieces.

PS -- Friedman's book got set aside to read this one.  It has a domestic focus.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm just now starting on chapter 7 and I'm enjoying it but for some reason I'm not in love with it yet.  I think it' the pace the author uses, not sure though  I have enjoyed getting to know the people behind the scenes when Pakistan was first formed, and reading this has given me a better understanding of the conflict between Pakistan and India.  I'm glad you are enjoying it overall.

Peppermill wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

Ryan_G wrote:

In recent decades, the world has seen an unprecedented shift of people from the countryside into cities. As Steve Inskeep so aptly puts it, we are now living in the age of the "instant city," when new megacities can emerge practically overnight, creating a host of unique pressures surrounding land use, energy, housing, and the environment.

Ryan -- this one has mesmerized me.  Hillary and Petraeus and Dempsey all being in Pakistan this week has helped sustain the interest.  I have only a chapter or so to go -- have to do some other things, or would probably have finished.  I will probably do as I did for Friedman's book (That Used to Be Us), buy a copy so I can share it and discuss it with family and others.  I don't recall, however, discussion of the Haqqani network, which seems to be a primary concern of the U.S. right now.  (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/21/hilary-clinton-pakistan-taliban)  But the sequence of events, from Partition in 1947 through the mass migrations that followed to the desperate needs for functioning governments and property rights to the pressures of minorities within the Muslims themselves has been fascinating to read about.  There are heads-up messages here for both domestic and international politics.  While at times I get frustrated with Inskeep's writing -- the jumps to other global spots, the stories that interrupt and then resume, the repetitions -- sometimes useful, sometimes irritating -- overall the experience has been most worthwhile.  I feel as if I have come to know some of his chief sources -- and their stories are poignantly human -- sometimes humane, sometimes much less so.  I won't pretend this one book has taught me "a lot" about Pakistan, but I do know that it has and will make me much more aware of what I read in the future -- sort of like a partially completed jigsaw puzzle where one has parts of the border and some interesting junks of the interior fitted together and now one goes looking for more pieces.

PS -- Friedman's book got set aside to read this one.  It has a domestic focus.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I just finished Kristan Higgins newest coming out tomorrow, if you love romantic comedy you have to give her a try

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/10/review-of-until-there-was-you-by.html

Until There Was You  

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos
dhaupt
0 Kudos
Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 

Half way finished with this one.  This book was chosen for our October book club discussion because of Halloween.  The ladies wanted something spooky but not nightmarish.  This slightly suspenseful fantasy is not a story I would have picked out for myself, but I am enjoying it.

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Holy Warrior  

Hi Everyone - I just started the next book in Angus Donald's Robin Hood series - Holy Warrior -  I'm really liking it, but it's also interesting to look at it with the knowledge that we gained from Angus about writing it. It's an interesting viewpoint as a reader. Happy Reading...

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Holy Warrior  

Hi Everyone - I just started the next book in Angus Donald's Robin Hood series - Holy Warrior -  I'm really liking it, but it's also interesting to look at it with the knowledge that we gained from Angus about writing it. It's an interesting viewpoint as a reader. Happy Reading...

Anne

Anne, you'll have to keep us in the loop about how you like it, I'm sure many of us are excited to hear you opinions, and thanks for your participation in the conversations in October.  It was a fun time

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Sunrise on Cedar Key  Had to take a break from two non-fiction books (one for work) and picked this one up at the grocery not knowing anything about it. Only about 30-40 pages in. Too early to make any comments.

Inspired Wordsmith
kimba88
0 Kudos
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Practical Jean  

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Ryan_G wrote:

Practical Jean  

Wow, that's definitely an original plot! I know the perfect person to recommend this to. LOL! Can't wait to hear your opinion of it.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well this weekend I dug into some of the arcs that I've been wanting to read and since I'm in between required reading it was a fun thing too.

Devilishly Hot 

Christmas on Nutcracker Court 

A Home by the Sea    

Look for my reviews this week

And don't forget to tune into the LifeTime Movie Network tonight at 8eastern for Iris Johansen's The Killing Game

A_G_D
0 Kudos

Half way finished with this one.  This book was chosen for our October book club discussion because of Halloween.  The ladies wanted something spooky but not nightmarish.  This slightly suspenseful fantasy is not a story I would have picked out for myself, but I am enjoying it.

I finished it recently and I found it interesting too..I don't want to give out any spoilers so tell us how you like it when you're done :smileyhappy:

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

I finished it recently and I found it interesting too..I don't want to give out any spoilers so tell us how you like it when you're done :smileyhappy:

Hi Andreea, I've heard a lot about this novel especially when I visit the paranormal club. Let us know how you liked it when you're finished. And it's so good to have you back with us :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well belive it or not I actually got to dig into some of my ARCs that have been laying around as I'm in between magazine issues right now.

I read

Devilishly Hot 

Christmas on Nutcracker Court 

A Home by the Sea 

A Summer in Europe     

A_G_D
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

Hi Andreea, I've heard a lot about this novel especially when I visit the paranormal club. Let us know how you liked it when you're finished. And it's so good to have you back with us :smileyhappy:

Debbie, it's actually bookwormmom4 who is still reading it. I finished it a few months ago. I thought it was interesting in the beginning but I was a little bit dissapointed in the ending. I don't normally read paranormal or sci-fi novels and for me it turned out to be like one of those adventure movies that teenagers watch :smileyhappy: I don't know if I'm describing it correctly but maybe you'll get my idea..I was a little bored with it to be honest..

Andreea
dhaupt
0 Kudos