Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
commutinggirl
0 Kudos

Re: Currently Reading

I am a commuting reader and an aspiring writer...

If you´re curious, you can visit my blog :-) http://commutinggirl.wordpress.com/

I´m also on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/commutinggirl
dhaupt
0 Kudos

commutinggirl wrote:

Hi commutinggirl and welcome to the forum. Great choices I really like Karen Rose but am unfamiliar with the other author.

What kind of writer are you aspiring to be.

I hope to see you often on the board.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Just read, will return to reading:

[ Edited ]

Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs Series #6)  by Jacqueline Winspear

Jumped into the series to read this one for a discussion.  A quick, enjoyable read.  (An evening and early next morning.) Set in England after WWI, a disaffected man threatens what we would now call a terrorist act on New Years Eve 1932 in London.  Masie Dobbs draws on her background in psychology, nursing, war service, and training as a detective to aid Scotland Yard and the military in a race against time to thwart the killer at large. 

Would like to get this finished and back to the library:

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)  by Howard Pyle

Then there is also the fun of this:

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again  by David Foster Wallace

I've wanted to read something by Wallace for some time, and some fans of his suggested this as a good place to start.

Finally, there is the ongoing struggle with Proust:

Swann's Way  by Marcel Proust Lydia Davis (Translator),

Thank goodness I also have the CD to listen to it.  Also, thank goodness that the beautiful prose is worth the struggle.  But this is one that has taken me more than one try over a span of many years.  It is fascinating to me that an online course on the entire Remembrance of Things Past is available from one of the great Proust scholars.  (At this point, I don't intend to enroll, however!)

Oh, yes, a few chapters of this every few weeks for another discussion:

The Rule of Benedict  by Joan Chittister

Ms. Chittister is a wonderful author and speaker.  I hope this one lives up to the others of hers I have read and used.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

Among the Mad (Maisie Dobbs Series #6)  by Jacqueline Winspear

Jumped into the series to read this one for a discussion.  A quick, enjoyable read.  (An evening and early next morning.) Set in England after WWI, a disaffected man threatens what we would now call a terrorist act on New Years Eve 1932 in London.  Masie Dobbs draws on her background in psychology, nursing, war service, and training as a detective to aid Scotland Yard and the military in a race against time to thwart the killer at large. 

Would like to get this finished and back to the library:

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood (Sterling Unabridged Classics Series)  by Howard Pyle

Then there is also the fun of this:

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again  by David Foster Wallace

I've wanted to read something by Wallace for some time, and some fans of his suggested this as a good place to start.

Finally, there is the ongoing struggle with Proust:

Swann's Way  by Marcel Proust Lydia Davis (Translator),

Thank goodness I also have the CD to listen to it.  Also, thank goodness that the beautiful prose is worth the struggle.  But this is one that has taken me more than one try over a span of many years.  It is fascinating to me that an online course on the entire Remembrance of Things Past is available from one of the great Proust scholars.  (At this point, I don't intend to enroll, however!)

Oh, yes, a few chapters of this every few weeks for another discussion:

The Rule of Benedict  by Joan Chittister

Ms. Chittister is a wonderful author and speaker.  I hope this one lives up to the others of hers I have read and used.

Pepper, I admire your fortitude for trying again something that gave you hives before, many of us would not do that.

The first book Among the Mad looks really good, I like WWII novels either before like The Postmistress and after, I'm even enjoying the urban fantasy WWII novels that have more or less bombarded the shelves.

Thanks for sharing.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

Hi Debbie,

I'm sure glad I didn't read this while I had my power outage for 11 days ! But then again, we didn't have a serial killer to contend with. Just started reading this one; it's really good.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Dunston Falls 

Al Lamanda

When an ice storm isolates a small Maine town, a serial killer runs amok. In 1959, Dunston Falls suffers a devastating ice storm that wreaks havoc on power lines and roads. With his few deputies, rookie sheriff David Peck sets about checking on local residents...

dhaupt
0 Kudos

optic_i wrote:

Hi Debbie,

I'm sure glad I didn't read this while I had my power outage for 11 days ! But then again, we didn't have a serial killer to contend with. Just started reading this one; it's really good.   :smileyhappy:

Optic

Dunston Falls 

Al Lamanda

When an ice storm isolates a small Maine town, a serial killer runs amok. In 1959, Dunston Falls suffers a devastating ice storm that wreaks havoc on power lines and roads. With his few deputies, rookie sheriff David Peck sets about checking on local residents...

Hi optic, yeah this one would have given you nightmares on top of no power.

Have a great evening. :-)

Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 

It took me forever to complete Miss Peregrine's...I don't know why because I did enjoy the book.  Chalk it up to one of life's mysteries.  I began The Jefferson Allegiance and love how it jumps from Founding Father's time to present day.  This book is quite exciting and I can't wait to see how it ends.

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
dhaupt
0 Kudos

bookwormmom4 wrote:

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 

It took me forever to complete Miss Peregrine's...I don't know why because I did enjoy the book.  Chalk it up to one of life's mysteries.  I began The Jefferson Allegiance and love how it jumps from Founding Father's time to present day.  This book is quite exciting and I can't wait to see how it ends.

Thanks book, for sharing, I've only read Bob Mayer when he coauthored books with Jenny Crusie. I may have to put that one on my list.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

Project Daedalus  I just finished this one tonight.

Contributor
commutinggirl
0 Kudos

Crescendo (Hush, Hush Saga #2)  I am currently reading Crescendo. I enjoy some of the story lines, the entire fallen angel plot...

Les Trois Mousquetaires: I will be reading this classic next. I cannot believe I did not read it yet :-)

Debbie: I absolutely love Karen Rose´s books (it´s steamy, it´s scary...it´s just fun to read). As you can see my taste is quite eclectic :-) I am currently writing a YA paranormal romance book with historical elements...(you can see more on my blog, I sometimes write about it :-)) Thanks for the warm welcome and happy reading everybody!

I will be reading next:

I am a commuting reader and an aspiring writer...

If you´re curious, you can visit my blog :-) http://commutinggirl.wordpress.com/

I´m also on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/commutinggirl
dhaupt
0 Kudos

commutinggirl wrote:

Crescendo (Hush, Hush Saga #2)  I am currently reading Crescendo. I enjoy some of the story lines, the entire fallen angel plot...

Les Trois Mousquetaires: I will be reading this classic next. I cannot believe I did not read it yet :-)

Debbie: I absolutely love Karen Rose´s books (it´s steamy, it´s scary...it´s just fun to read). As you can see my taste is quite eclectic :-) I am currently writing a YA paranormal romance book with historical elements...(you can see more on my blog, I sometimes write about it :-)) Thanks for the warm welcome and happy reading everybody!

I will be reading next:

Hi commuting, thanks for the heads up on Karen Rose, she sounds like my kind of author. I also have very eclectic tastes and as a matter of fact read Crescendo when B&N still had First Look, did you read the first in the series Hush Hush and I believe the third is already out. If you like YA with a touch of the woo-woo you might try Deborah Cooke, she has a YA series that actually star the children of her paranormal adult romance characters check out her website here 

I hope you and everyone has a great weekend, I'm going shopping :smileyhappy: with my kid

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Distinguished Correspondent
1AnneB
0 Kudos

Baby, Come Home (Southern Roads Series) 

Primal Call 

The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey Series)    

Hi Everyone - I finished the Stephanie Bond book - loved it ! . Then I read a quick one from Susan Sizemore - Primal Call - it's the fist paranormal of hers that I have read - I think I'l be going back for more. This morning I started the new Dianna Gabaldon "Lord John Grey" book that was released today - The Scottish Prisoner - as usual it does not disappoint !! Happy Reading...

Anne

dhaupt
0 Kudos

1AnneB wrote:

Baby, Come Home (Southern Roads Series) 

Primal Call 

The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey Series)    

Hi Everyone - I finished the Stephanie Bond book - loved it ! . Then I read a quick one from Susan Sizemore - Primal Call - it's the fist paranormal of hers that I have read - I think I'l be going back for more. This morning I started the new Dianna Gabaldon "Lord John Grey" book that was released today - The Scottish Prisoner - as usual it does not disappoint !! Happy Reading...

Anne

Thanks Anne, you know I've never read the John Grey books. I liked the Stephanie Bond series too.

Author
Zkullis
0 Kudos

Endurance  Despite whatever else I have going on in my life, I am always in the middle of a book.  Right now I am reading Endurance by Jack Kilborn.

If you have ever stayed at a small Inn, Bed & Breakfast, or some place similar, out in the middle of nowhere, and found yourself getting a little freaked out, then this book is one you might want to consider reading.

In fact, you should find a small place to stay, preferably in the middle of nowhere, stay over the weekend, and read this book.  You might find yourself checking out much earlier than you expected!  :smileywink:

Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Zkullis wrote:

Endurance  Despite whatever else I have going on in my life, I am always in the middle of a book.  Right now I am reading Endurance by Jack Kilborn.

If you have ever stayed at a small Inn, Bed & Breakfast, or some place similar, out in the middle of nowhere, and found yourself getting a little freaked out, then this book is one you might want to consider reading.

In fact, you should find a small place to stay, preferably in the middle of nowhere, stay over the weekend, and read this book.  You might find yourself checking out much earlier than you expected!  :smileywink:

Thanks Zack it sounds disturbing :smileyhappy:

dhaupt
0 Kudos