Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

The Book Thief

I am about 150 pages into this book and am in love with the style and the narration. It was such a huge risk to take, but it makes for such a wonderful touch to the book. Has anyone else read this book, what were your thoughts about the first 150 pages?
Go Cubs Go!
becke_davis
0 Kudos

Re: The Book Thief

[ Edited ]

BookSavage wrote:
I am about 150 pages into this book and am in love with the style and the narration. It was such a huge risk to take, but it makes for such a wonderful touch to the book. Has anyone else read this book, what were your thoughts about the first 150 pages?

This book wasn't quite what I expected and I was a little disappointed. On the other hand, I have a hard time reading books from this era.

Message Edited by becke_davis on 01-31-2008 01:45 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

It's been a few months since I've read the book so I'm going to be fairly general (no spoilers here). The style took a little getting used to at first. At first I felt like it slowed me down (I'm talking about the little blurbs at the first part of each chapter) but then I started really getting into it and found the blurbs to be sort of "teasers" for what was to come. I thought the identity of the narrator was a good idea too. I also thought the seeing WWII from a different perspective was an interesting premise.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:
It's been a few months since I've read the book so I'm going to be fairly general (no spoilers here). The style took a little getting used to at first. At first I felt like it slowed me down (I'm talking about the little blurbs at the first part of each chapter) but then I started really getting into it and found the blurbs to be sort of "teasers" for what was to come. I thought the identity of the narrator was a good idea too. I also thought the seeing WWII from a different perspective was an interesting premise.

So generally, what kind of genre is it? Did you like it? Is it a long book?
Frequent Contributor
BookSavage
0 Kudos

I feel much the same way that you do about the little blurbs. As I progressed in the book it really caused me to want to push further at that moment with my reading so I could figure out exactly what was going to happen. I also really like the perspective shift in the novel. Everyone always assumes that all of Germany was 100 percent behind Hitler, and I have always known that was not true, but this book, although fiction, really gives a nice feel for the life a non-Nazi German had to endure. Glad to hear your thoughts on the book. Happy Reading
Go Cubs Go!
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

pjpick wrote:

So generally, what kind of genre is it? Did you like it? Is it a long book?

Hi Kiakar,
Yes, I really enjoyed it. Length? I don't have it right now (on loan) but I believe it is around 400pps (a guess). What I didn't realize when I bought it was that it is classified in the young adult section so it is a really easy and fast read once you get into the rhythm of it. I think it may have also been a Today Show book club pick? The genre, WWII fiction of a young girl growing up in Germany told from the perspective of the narrator, Death.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Hi Kiakar,
Yes, I really enjoyed it. Length? I don't have it right now (on loan) but I believe it is around 400pps (a guess). What I didn't realize when I bought it was that it is classified in the young adult section so it is a really easy and fast read once you get into the rhythm of it. I think it may have also been a Today Show book club pick? The genre, WWII fiction of a young girl growing up in Germany told from the perspective of the narrator, Death.

I keep hearing how good this book is and was just talking with a friend about it. She had heard the same thing. I'll have to read it when I get the chance. Even though it was written for younger people it's suppose to be good for all ages, so many of the young adult books are today.

becke_davis wrote:

This book wasn't quite what I expected and I was a little disappointed. On the other hand, I have a hard time reading books from this era.

Message Edited by becke_davis on 01-31-2008 01:45 PM

Becke, I have a hard time with these kinds of books too. It's so horrific to know that these events really happened in Nazi Germany. Unfortunately it's not the only case in the world's history of man's inhumanity to man and my discomfort at reading about such events is so little compared to what people really went through and are still going through in many places. People should read about it and know what really happened. These book clubs have given me an education about a lot of topics that I may not have read about on my own.
New User
Alesha
0 Kudos

I have not read this book, but it is at the top of my list of books that I want to read this summer. also, have you ever read the "twilight" series, by stephenie meyer? some of the best books i've ever read! the new one comes out in august.
Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

Alesha wrote:
I have not read this book, but it is at the top of my list of books that I want to read this summer. also, have you ever read the "twilight" series, by stephenie meyer? some of the best books i've ever read! the new one comes out in august.

Alesha,
I just got the third book Eclipse. That is a pretty good series. I don't know if you've already found it but there is a board here "Teen Reads" that has several conversations going on that series in case you want to talk about it more. Welcome to the club!