Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

The Other Woman- The Bridge Killer

[ Edited ]

What do you think of the way the media is addressed in this novel so far, knowing that Hank is a media figure in her "day job". :smileyhappy:

We know that it was them who penned the title "The Bridge Killer"

We also know that it's for that reason that Jake and Jane aren't a couple

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman- The Bridge Killer

Yes..and I'd love to hear what you think. It's been fascinating to think about "the media" as an outsider, you know? Like Jake, contemplating that the newspaper reporters are trying to nickname a serial killer. That's absurd, right?

In the newsroom, we realize that. And newspaper headline writers do, too. But black humor is pervasive in the business--it's almost the only way you can deal with it. It's a constant struggle to keep one's humanity--I think about it everyday..

Still, from an outsiders perspective--it can seem pretty creepy. All that sticking a microphone in someone's face, and knocking on doors of unhappy people. That's what I was trying to portray--the conflict--even in a reporter's brain!--between decorum and the need to get a story.
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

I think that having two distinct "reporter-on-the-street" characters and one ex, who has become part of the establishment, gives some depth to the pysche of the reporter in the storyline.  Jane is struggling on various levels.  She is moving from one form of mass communication to another form.  The first is all visual and sound byte, the second is more cognitive and requires the reporter to "verbally" fill in the visual for the reader.  That aside....

Jane is an investigative reporter, and she has been slammed into "fluff" reporting.  What can she say?  It's a job, she's gotta eat.  But even these "fluff" pieces that are thrown her way are have "red herrings" all over them.  But look at Jane's investigative style.  She sees what others miss.  She can put seemingly unconnected things together and make sense of them....but they want "fluff". Come on guys!!!

Now Tuck, she's the stereo-typical newsprint street reporter.  Out there for the hot story, scoop on the rest, who cares about rules....just give me the dope.  Push the boundaries, sneak past the barriers (cops hate them).  They are in-your-face with the camera and or the pencil and pad.  Tuck would be the one on the phone to Selica Darden's mother 30 minutes after her body was found saying "Hello, Ma'am, are you Selica Darden's mother?  Have the police been in touch with you, perchance, this evening?  If so, do you have any comment? (You can hear the door bell in the back ground as the police arrive with the news.)  The story is all that is important.  Sometimes you wonder if they have any humanity beneath that leatherish skin.

Alex?  He's got a heart, still.  He's willing to give Jane a chance.  He still believes in the integrity of the first ammendment and sancity of "source".  He's not jaded to the white shirts upstairs -- yet.  I like Alex, but still have some reservations...he's on the slide.

Okay, so my views of newsies is jaded.  I'm married to an old cop.  I've seen them from the other side.  I will say that the journalism and reporters from the video media were of an different ilk than those from the printed media.  There seems to be something about having your face before the public day in and day out.  You are out there and are accountable...people "know" who you are.  The faces behind the news print tended to be fuzzy and grey...they could hide behind their work and didn't seem to think they were as answerable to their actions and activity.  Nobody "saw" how they obtained their story...they "saw" the TV reporter and the footage.  

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:
Yes..and I'd love to hear what you think. It's been fascinating to think about "the media" as an outsider, you know? Like Jake, contemplating that the newspaper reporters are trying to nickname a serial killer. That's absurd, right?

In the newsroom, we realize that. And newspaper headline writers do, too. But black humor is pervasive in the business--it's almost the only way you can deal with it. It's a constant struggle to keep one's humanity--I think about it everyday..

Still, from an outsiders perspective--it can seem pretty creepy. All that sticking a microphone in someone's face, and knocking on doors of unhappy people. That's what I was trying to portray--the conflict--even in a reporter's brain!--between decorum and the need to get a story.

I was on the borough council for 12 years in my small town. We had a small town newspaper which was family owned. The owner's son ended up running the newspaper after his parents died. That newspaper never wrote the truth about what went on at the council meetings. It was always slanted in order to make the good ole boys club look like they were the good guys and the council members who were working to help the taxpayers were bad. It happened to be the other way around. The good ole boys were fixing bids, not following the law and doing favors for their friends. That newspaper did a real injustice to the town. The voters were so misinformed and didn't know who to vote for. The power of that small newspaper was immense in the town politics.

Then the owner sold the newspaper in order to run for the office of district justice. I was a committee person and was asked to endorse this guy for the district justice position. I told him I couldn't endorse him because he never wrote the truth in his newspaper reporting. Needless to say, he was not too happy. I asked him why he never interviewed me about the meetings and just wrote a bunch of lies. He didn't know what to say about that. 

So, I would say that I would have to respect Jane for her integrity in her reporting and in her ethics for not revealing her source.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

IN the midst of a story! SO behind! Thinking of you..back soon.xoxoo Hank
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

SO interesting , Muse! Thank you! Back soon..xoo
Hank
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well Hank, 20 years of watching my husband deal with the media and listening to him and his fellow officers said a lot. Overall, they respected the TV crews and the TV crews respected law enforcement. There was respect and acknowledgement that each was doing his/her job.

I can't say the same for a good number of the newspaper reporters over the years. The example I stated about the reporter and Selcia's mother actually happened to me when my husband was shot in the line of duty. He even had the gall to walk up to me the next day at the police station to try and interview me again. No, I don't have a lot of respect of the street reporter.
Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan

Hey all! Hope you;re having a wonderful Friday.

Ah, Muse, the pressure. The problem is-and one of the things I love to explore in the books--it's easy to lose sight of reality--that there are real people behind every story, The pressure to get a good story, to get an exclusive, to get the headlines, is enormous, and sometimes reporters get so caught up in that, they forget to be human.

I've seen it happen again and again. And it's nothing to do with age or experience--a young reporter can be compassionate--or hard-nosed and thoughtless. So can an experienced reporter--some people call it compassion fatigue. Other reporters leave the work when it's so upsetting or so heart-breaking--they just don't want to see another bad thing.

I can;t even imagine--except for fictionally--what the pressure of being a police officer or a police officer's spouse must be. I respect and honor you both!

xoxo Hank
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Oh, Eadieburke--that's so frustrating. And maddening. And it's the type of thing that gives all reporters a bad name! I can't tell you how many times I've been working a story--and someone says, well, I'm not gong to talk to you, because so-and-so wasn't fair with me the last time.

And I think--hey, that wasn't ME! And I try to explain that reporters aren't all aline. But too late--the relationship is ruined.

And doesn't he realize--now whatever you read in the paper will be suspect? There's no way to get your reputation back--and that's exactly what THE OTHER WOMAN is all about, right?

xoxo Hank
Hank
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Oh, Eadieburke--that's so frustrating. And maddening. And it's the type of thing that gives all reporters a bad name! I can't tell you how many times I've been working a story--and someone says, well, I'm not gong to talk to you, because so-and-so wasn't fair with me the last time.

And I think--hey, that wasn't ME! And I try to explain that reporters aren't all aline. But too late--the relationship is ruined.

And doesn't he realize--now whatever you read in the paper will be suspect? There's no way to get your reputation back--and that's exactly what THE OTHER WOMAN is all about, right?

xoxo Hank

So glad I'm not involved with politics anymore. I get to spend my days reading and cooking - two things I love to do.

I should take some writing courses because some of the things that I've experienced in 12 years, like they say, truth is stranger than fiction! Just have to find a way to tell the story and not get sued.

I've been interviewed by many good reporters that I could really trust. I would tell them many things "off the record" and they always would abide to that. I would put Jane into that category. While reading your book, Jane's character was immediately identifiable to me and I liked her right away. Can't wait to read more about her and see what's coming next for her in the way of her job and romance interests!

It's nice that you can use your reporting experience and formulate that into your novels. News reporting is an interesting field where you get to meet many interesting characters!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Hey all! Hope you;re having a wonderful Friday.

Ah, Muse, the pressure. The problem is-and one of the things I love to explore in the books--it's easy to lose sight of reality--that there are real people behind every story, The pressure to get a good story, to get an exclusive, to get the headlines, is enormous, and sometimes reporters get so caught up in that, they forget to be human.

I've seen it happen again and again. And it's nothing to do with age or experience--a young reporter can be compassionate--or hard-nosed and thoughtless. So can an experienced reporter--some people call it compassion fatigue. Other reporters leave the work when it's so upsetting or so heart-breaking--they just don't want to see another bad thing.

I can;t even imagine--except for fictionally--what the pressure of being a police officer or a police officer's spouse must be. I respect and honor you both!

xoxo Hank

Thank you, Hank.  All is forgiven, finally, 25 years later.  Our daughters were best friends all the way through junior high and high school.  He knew he had gaffed it big time and his cohorts let him know it.  When you live in the public eye, you learn to dance and keep the lawn free of rocks.  (wink)
One of the big reasons I have enjoyed your books so much, is that I can identify with what is going on in them.  You have lived what you write about.  You have lived with the story matter you write about and it shows.  You know, you don't really know how to make good bread till you learn how to knead the dough.  You've got it down, and you've also mastered the ability to communicate in the written word as well as bring the story and your vibrant presence to the visual audience on TV.
You have earned my respect and my readership.  I have come to love your books.  
Muse

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

IN the midst of a story! SO behind! Thinking of you..back soon.xoxoo Hank

Is it anything you can tell us about, Hank?

And, BTW, how DO you manage to tour for book signings when you are still working as a reporter? Do you ever feel like you want to just get off the merry-go-round for a while?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

In re reporters and our attitudes towards them:

I remember when I was growing up, our family had a lot of respect for the people reporting the news. My brother and I had to remember not to squabble or ask questions while Walter Cronkite was on the air! My dad watched that newscast religiously.

Think it's more recently that field reporters have given journalism a great big black eye, by their treatment of prospective news sources. I just cannot stand it when I see scenes where one or more reporter is lined up to ask a question of a grieving family member. I still cherish hopes that one day, SOMEONE is going to give one of those reporters "the bird" while on camera!

Papparazzi and Stalkarazzi are two of the worst offenders in the "news" reporting area. I'm not a big fan of Lindsay Lohan, but I was aghast to read that reporters had deliberately RUN INTO HER CAR, in order to stop her in order to get photos and maybe a story of some sort. That is just criminal behavior, in my view, and I'm wondering whose stupid idea it was that public figures don't have the right to privacy! And don't get me started on the Princess Diana tragedy-- she would be alive today, I think, had those Stalkers posing as newsbodies not been consistently chasing her, and especially harassing the vehicle she was in that night in Paris. . Yes, I know, she did encourage the press to take her photos, but in her defense, most of the time, those were public events she was going to. I would like to see some laws giving ALL citizens the right to drive a vehicle WITHOUT being stalked! If we'd put a few of the worst offenders in jail for a while, maybe this craziness would stop. I'm sure that the responsible journalists like yourself, Hank, feel besmirched by being lumped in with the Pop's and Stalk's!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fricka, these are great comments and the first thing I thought of when I started reading this was Princess Diana and now her children. Where is the line?
Hank said that she's traveling and has no board access and will reply to all posts sometime today.
Thank you for being a part of our read this month Fricka. I love new voices