Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
elaine_hf

Re: The Other Woman-Week One

Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:
Hey, Eadie! And thanks for being careful of spoilers--so annoying when people tell what happens! But I am SO happy you loved the book! Tell your friends..as you know, there's nothing like word of mouth. It's SO important!

As for spoilers--I will admit--just between us--sometimes I read the end of the book first just so I can stop worrying about what will happen. "Okay, that person lives..and that person's guilty"--then I can go back and see what the author has done to get us there.

Is that terrible? I mean--it's sort of educational, you know? YOu can see how the author structured the book, and what red herrings are used.

In THE OTHER WOMAN though, as you know, reading the last page would NOT tell you the whole story!

OMG - I do the same thing! As long as I know that my favorite characters make it out on the other side, I can read and not worry. I thought I was the only one who did that. Thank you, Hank, you made my night!

Elaine

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke

elaine_hf wrote:

Hey, Eadie! And thanks for being careful of spoilers--so annoying when people tell what happens! But I am SO happy you loved the book! Tell your friends..as you know, there's nothing like word of mouth. It's SO important!

As for spoilers--I will admit--just between us--sometimes I read the end of the book first just so I can stop worrying about what will happen. "Okay, that person lives..and that person's guilty"--then I can go back and see what the author has done to get us there.

Is that terrible? I mean--it's sort of educational, you know? YOu can see how the author structured the book, and what red herrings are used.

In THE OTHER WOMAN though, as you know, reading the last page would NOT tell you the whole story!

OMG - I do the same thing! As long as I know that my favorite characters make it out on the other side, I can read and not worry. I thought I was the only one who did that. Thank you, Hank, you made my night!

Elaine

Not me, I don't want to peek at the ending. I like the twists and turns of the story and I don't want any heads up. I like the surprise endings and don't want to know ahead of time how everything plays out in the end.

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well we've had some great discussions this week so far and next week we'll hit the road running just as fast.

Hank

Do you relate to the character, Jane Ryland?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

Hints? Hunts? Of course..NO hints! But here's something bizarre: this is a headline TODAY on Boston.com, the Boston Globe newspaper.

"For second time in two days, body found in Charles River near BU Bridge; investigation underway."

Yikes. What do you make of THAT?

I think fiction deals with life, and then sometimes life imitates fiction, right back atcha! Remember all those versions of The Fugitive, which was originally based on the MacDonald Murder Case? Incidentally, the man behind that case recently tried once again to get his name exonerated. Guess we'll never REALLY know if there really was a "one armed man" who was the real killer or not! As for the bodies recently found near the BU bridge, I'd say that your using that location for the bodies being found in your book, Hank, seems to have been rather full of prescience. Or did you just pay attention and notice that there seemed to be quite a few bodies being discovered in that location, and decided to use that in your fictionalized story?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

Fricka--so great to meet you! I'm smiling just thinking about it..and you are so on the money about Jane! What a treat to read this. Hurray! xoxoo

I'm smiling too, Hank.  :catvery-happy:  It was such fun getting to hear you talk about how you got into journalism(loved the story of how you got the radio station manager to hire you, even though your reporting experience was, well zilch at the time!) and getting to chat briefly with you while getting your autograph on The Other Woman AND Mystery Scene magazine!  I love looking at the photo of you on the cover of Mystery Scene, and have to smile at your statement that you normally don't pose with your neck in that angle! I'm planning to get a nice frame for my autographed cover of the mag, rather like a character had done in a Nero Wolfe story, hee hee! It will make a nice contrast to all the pictures of the great-grandbabies/nephews/nieces in our home, that's for sure.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well we're winding down week one, we've had some lively discussions and Hank you've been just wonderful to chat while living such a busy life.

Here's our lovely lady from an event last night at the Boylston Public Library

548009_289639317808169_1628875995_n.jpeg

but don't let because it's Friday stop the chatting

dhaupt

here are my answers

My first impression of Jane was that she was wise beyond her years, I admired her compassion and her loyalty. I admired her trying to do the right thing by refusing to give into the attraction she felt for Jake.

I loved her inquisitiveness and we saw that first hand when she was given the not so prime story to follow, how she started seeing things hidden that I for one never would have.

And last I loved that she showed us her vulnerability when she lost her job.

I loved the story line but I did have some trouble following it all, what helps me is keeping a list. It's especially helpful to me when the landscape is foreign and there's a lot goin on.

My first impression of the novel was that it hit the ground running and it never slowed down, it was nail-biting from page one til the end.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Sorry, on a previous post, I wrote "The Fugitive" when I meant Fatal Vision.

Anyway, Hank, do you ever think now when you are working on a case, "Gee, this has all the right elements for a great book"???

Or do you find yourself interviewing people and think that one of them would make an interesting character in your next book?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Sorry, on a previous post, I wrote "The Fugitive" when I meant Fatal Vision.

Anyway, Hank, do you ever think now when you are working on a case, "Gee, this has all the right elements for a great book"???

Or do you find yourself interviewing people and think that one of them would make an interesting character in your next book?

That is a great question Fricka and Hank told me she's traveling and would be by this afternoon to check in.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

There is almost 600 views on week one of this read and I really appreciate that WOW what kudos for Hank and for all the folks reading our discussion.
So I want to encourage any of you, even if you've finished the novel, even if you haven't read it but it's on your wish list or your TBR pile, join in, ask Hank a question. Hank is one of my best participating authors here on the forum, she checks in religiously even with the kind of schedule she keeps and so she's ready, willing and wants to hear from you.
I'm deep into week two and the action just doesn't stop, the mayhem gets deeper and the questions are mounting. Pretty soon we'll start getting answers.
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

I'm here! Wow, its been an amazing weekend--i had four events at bookstores and speeches..and my adrenaline is going strong.

The response to THE OTHER WOMAN is so fabulous.thank you so much! I guess that's the fuel that keeps me going!

Okay, lets see what's up around here now..I always think I'm missing something..

xox HAnk

Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

This was such a terrific event..Boylston in is the middle of MAssachusetts...and the room was so full of wonderful readers! It got questins that I;ve never gotten before, and a lot of enthusiasm. As it turned out, it was the librarian's wedding anniversary---can you believe it? So she brought her husband! It was the first time I've ever had anyone celebrate a wedding anniversary at one of my events! NOw there's devotion for you!
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Fricka, that's terrific. ANd you knw, it never crossed my mind to have it framed! What a great idea..and you are so funny to put it with your family phtots. Proud to feel like part of the family!

I dod you--did I? That the cover story was a surprise..I knew Oline was dong a profile of me--but the cover was a complete shock!

xoox H

Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Oh, yeah, Fatal Vision...exactly. And it's really hard to believe Jeffrey McDonald's story, isnt it? About the strangers who came into his home chanting "kill the pigs"?  It'll be so intriguing to see what happens next..

And that's one of the interesting and fascinating things about writing ficiton--you have to be really careful that it's realistic. And sometimes real lifeis SO crazy--it would just never work in a book! COincidence, small-world episodes--readers simply will NOT buy that in fiction, even though it happens in real life every day.

As for the bodies udnerBoston bridges..nope. That's a compete coincidence! (And as exactly as JAke suspects, these seem to be unrelted. But I wont say if they are or arent in THE OTHER WOMAN!!)

xo HAnk

Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Thank you, Muse! xo
Hank
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh

[ Edited ]

Reading the end of a book first is one of my deep, dark secrets. But I know no one here will tell!:smileywink: Now that the secret's out, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! I never intend to read the end, but sometimes I get caught up in the story and I can't help myself. Luckily, I don't mind spoilers. It never takes anything away from the story for me. I never read ahead when I read a book for book club though. I'd be too afraid to give away the ending!

April