Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

The Other Woman Week Two-Moira

We haven't talked too much about Moira Lassiter either and she in a way is responsible for all the subterfuge going on in Jane's mind about The Other Woman

 

do you think Moira's a victim

 

What are your thoughts about her

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira


dhaupt wrote:

We haven't talked too much about Moira Lassiter either and she in a way is responsible for all the subterfuge going on in Jane's mind about The Other Woman

 

do you think Moira's a victim

 

What are your thoughts about her


 

Ohhh, interesting question, Deb. I had a bit of free time between  student appointments yesterday, so I got to read a bit further in The Other Woman, and I got to the part where Jane goes to interview Moira.

I think at first,  in the book, it does look like Moira is a victim, as she is clearly absent from her husband's campaign. But, during the interview, she drops a bomb on Jane-- that she thinks Lassiter is having an affair, and that it's Rory Maitland who's responsible for her being frozen out from the campaign. Now, the fact that SHE tells Jane that She, Moira, suspects an affair saves Jane from the embarrassment of having to ask her about it, but Jane is also taken aback that Moira tells her about her suspicion and asks Jane to help her--talk about a seasoned pro using the press!

I mean, if Moira REALLY wanted to find out if Owen's cheating on her, she could hire a private detective. She could also tell her husband of her suspicion and that if he doesn't start putting her up front, she's going public with plans to divorce him! (And thus most likely putting an end to his campaign!) She does neither of these things, which tells me that she is still invested in the marriage,  AND the election, and does not want to confront her husband directly--yet. Her using Jane, though, tells us a LOT about Moira Lassiter. Is she a victim? I might have thought so in the early chapters, but after this scene, NO.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira


Fricka wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

We haven't talked too much about Moira Lassiter either and she in a way is responsible for all the subterfuge going on in Jane's mind about The Other Woman

 

do you think Moira's a victim

 

What are your thoughts about her


 

Ohhh, interesting question, Deb. I had a bit of free time between  student appointments yesterday, so I got to read a bit further in The Other Woman, and I got to the part where Jane goes to interview Moira.

I think at first,  in the book, it does look like Moira is a victim, as she is clearly absent from her husband's campaign. But, during the interview, she drops a bomb on Jane-- that she thinks Lassiter is having an affair, and that it's Rory Maitland who's responsible for her being frozen out from the campaign. Now, the fact that SHE tells Jane that She, Moira, suspects an affair saves Jane from the embarrassment of having to ask her about it, but Jane is also taken aback that Moira tells her about her suspicion and asks Jane to help her--talk about a seasoned pro using the press!

I mean, if Moira REALLY wanted to find out if Owen's cheating on her, she could hire a private detective. She could also tell her husband of her suspicion and that if he doesn't start putting her up front, she's going public with plans to divorce him! (And thus most likely putting an end to his campaign!) She does neither of these things, which tells me that she is still invested in the marriage,  AND the election, and does not want to confront her husband directly--yet. Her using Jane, though, tells us a LOT about Moira Lassiter. Is she a victim? I might have thought so in the early chapters, but after this scene, NO.


Great thoughts Fricka. And I agree that she's invested in the marriage.

Do you think her way of "investigating" is kind of sneaky?

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
Posts: 273
Registered: ‎01-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira

Such a good question! And I can tell you--since, as you know I don't have an outline--I wasn't quite sure how Moira would wind up fitting into the story. I keep little notebooks of character sketches, thinking "out loud" about the possibilities of what might motivate a character, or what might be their history.
Those things never make it into the book--but it's helpful for ME to know a character's background...so I can unravel how they'll behave in the book.
SO Moira--was a mystery when I began. How would she develop as the book unfolded? VIctim? Manipulator? Crazy wife? Someone with an agenda? I was eager to see..
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
Posts: 273
Registered: ‎01-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira

Exactly! She's savvy enough to use the media to do her digging... And that also allows me to reiterate how the public thinks about Jane--she's reliable and trustworthy and honorable.
And clearly they had met in the past..and it seems like Moira thinks Jane was treated unfairly. And of course, Moira knows what it's like to be treated unfairly!
And soon, you'll know more.
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
Posts: 273
Registered: ‎01-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira

And of course, everything Moira does is under scrutiny. Could she get away with hiring a private detective? And what would she do once she got the "information"? What if there's no information to get? What if the detective is not trustworthy?
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira


Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:
And of course, everything Moira does is under scrutiny. Could she get away with hiring a private detective? And what would she do once she got the "information"? What if there's no information to get? What if the detective is not trustworthy?


 

Ahhhhh, good points, Hank. Of course, Moira would have to use an alternate identity when hiring a private detective, or get a friend to do it for her. Even if she took those precautions, though, you make a convincing point, Hank, that she still wouldn't know if the detective was trustworthy. Which, in turn, brings us back to why she would want to get Jane to do her digging for her--she knows Jane is reliable.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira


Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:
Such a good question! And I can tell you--since, as you know I don't have an outline--I wasn't quite sure how Moira would wind up fitting into the story. I keep little notebooks of character sketches, thinking "out loud" about the possibilities of what might motivate a character, or what might be their history.
Those things never make it into the book--but it's helpful for ME to know a character's background...so I can unravel how they'll behave in the book.
SO Moira--was a mystery when I began. How would she develop as the book unfolded? VIctim? Manipulator? Crazy wife? Someone with an agenda? I was eager to see..

So interesting! Thank you for sharing your writing process, Hank, and that you didn't yourself know exactly what kind of character Moira was, but instead had to wait and let her reveal herself to you!

 

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
Posts: 273
Registered: ‎01-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira

And of course, when someone may have ulterior motives..you don't always know what they are early on.

I knew she was a former ballerina--what kind of a person would succeed as a ballerina? And that also lets you know a bit what she looks like and how she moves.

Her home is all in white..you know THAT's not random..but does it mean she's good? Or persnickety? Or doesn't expect any children or pets?

And we know she used to be on the campaign trail with her husband..hmm. Not any more. Who's idea was THAT?
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
Posts: 273
Registered: ‎01-26-2009
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira

Yup--the very reason Jane was fired--because she refused to compromise her convictions--is why Moira thinks she can trust her.

And we've all been unfairly treated at work, right? So we know how Jane feels..and that she needs to get her reputation back! SO Jane's decisions are going to be colored by her own needs, right?
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎09-25-2008

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira

I don't think Moira is a victim at this point because I'm not sure yet if Owen is actually cheating on her or if Moira is jumping to conclusions. I'm also not sure what her motives are by going to Jane with this bombshell. Is she just trying to prove whether her husband is cheating or not for her own sake (so she doesn't wind up looking like a fool in front of the whole world if he is betraying her), or is she angry with him and trying to ruin his campaign? She is in an impossible situation. She knows if she questions Owen he would deny it whether or not it was true and anyone close to him would be involved with the campaign and they would all cover for him.

 

I'm not sure what to make of Moira Lassiter. We don't know much about her her except she used to be a ballerina. It seems she gave up a lot of her own life, including her career, to stand by her husband's side as he ran for governor. Maybe in taking on the role of governor's wife she lost a bit of herself, eventually causing her to become insecure. Throughout this section, I kind of expected her to take some kind of action. Even if it meant confronting Owen. If he denied it, at least her suspicions would be out in the open. I've gone over this many times in my head and I just can't figure out why she confided in Jane. There has to be a better way to get to the truth of whether or not Lassiter is a cheater. Moira could have hired lots of other people that would have gotten her the truth. The big question is: why involve Jane?

April
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎09-25-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira


Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:
Such a good question! And I can tell you--since, as you know I don't have an outline--I wasn't quite sure how Moira would wind up fitting into the story. I keep little notebooks of character sketches, thinking "out loud" about the possibilities of what might motivate a character, or what might be their history.
Those things never make it into the book--but it's helpful for ME to know a character's background...so I can unravel how they'll behave in the book.
SO Moira--was a mystery when I began. How would she develop as the book unfolded? VIctim? Manipulator? Crazy wife? Someone with an agenda? I was eager to see..

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. I love being able to hear about an author's writing process. When you began writing about Moira you mentioned she was a mystery to you. Do any of your characters ever take you completely by surprise or do they ever take on a life of their own that you didn't expect?
April
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
Posts: 2,237
Registered: ‎05-04-2010

Re: The Other Woman Week Two-Moira


Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:
And of course, when someone may have ulterior motives..you don't always know what they are early on.

I knew she was a former ballerina--what kind of a person would succeed as a ballerina? And that also lets you know a bit what she looks like and how she moves.

Her home is all in white..you know THAT's not random..but does it mean she's good? Or persnickety? Or doesn't expect any children or pets?

And we know she used to be on the campaign trail with her husband..hmm. Not any more. Who's idea was THAT?

I've been thinking a bit more about what you wrote here, Hank. I did notice the description of Moira's home as Jane was observing it, but hadn't thought much more about it. Now that you mention it, though, it does seem to reveal more about Moira's character. Don't know why the fact that her interior was all in white hadn't raised a red flag with me before, but you're right-- it does indicate, to me, at least, that there are no children, grandchildren, or pets connected to that household. Any  wife/mother worth her salt might inwardly wish for an all white decor, but know that with a husband, children, and maybe a pet or two, that would be out of the question. I mean, can you imagine the havoc that a messy two-or three year old child could have on an all-white decor, not to mention a sick dog, partially housetrained puppy, or extra fluffy, shedding, dark-coated cat could bring to that kind of backdrop?

White also indicates to me a certain amount of antiseptic--that is, it brings with it a certain whiff of the doctor or dental offic--not a cozy place where you could be comfortable after a hard day's work. (Oh--besides the aforementioned children and pets, let's not forget what a spilled glass of wine could do to an all white carpet or sofa!--Clearly the drinking of "adult beverages" would NOT be allowed in the "living room" area, but probably would be confined to either the kitchen or dining room proper).

I don't know about you, but in MY family, there were a lot of nights where we were eating our supper on trays or stools in front of the television set, not to mention the myriad times we were crunching on popcorn or other snacks while watching a TV movie--our living room was really where we did most of our living, By having an all white decor, then, Moria is signalling that purity or maybe I'd call it sterility, is all-important to her. She's probably the kind of woman who doesn't desire to become a "haus frau" and so,  if and when she and Owen do have guests, she'd probably have it catered rather than trying to cook anything herself. That leaves her a LOT of time to keep  her coiffed hair, make-up, and clothes, all in perfect condition. Just contrast in your mind the appearance of Moira in general, and Jane after she'd been through the black out in Springfield! Jane's appearance bespeaks the reality of a working woman in her profession, but what does Moira's signal? Kind of the same thing as her decor in the house, isn't it?

 

Equally mystifying to me is why Moira's being kept under wraps. Unless she's proved herself to be a campaign liability, a la  Therese Heinz- Kerry, she should be making the rounds, stumping for her husband. Almost as baffling to me is why Owen isn't questioning Ross or Moira about why she's not appearing with him. Is there some dirty little secret that they all know about, like the proverbial "Elephant in the Room," that they all know about, but don't want to talk about? Hmmmmmmmmmm.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie