Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

The Other Woman-Week Two discussion

Week two is here, please as always just use these as a guide.

Week Two

Well in week two we’re finally getting some answers, but sometimes they only seem to lead to more questions.

Have you changed your mind about anyone in week two?

I’d like you to discuss the journalistic differences between Jane and Tuck, Muse touched on this topic in the Bridge Killer thread. I’d like to expand on this.
Who’s style do you like better, if any.
Do you think the difference, if there is one, is due to the TV vs Newspaper history.

Sabotage has been suggested as the reason Lassiter’s campaign is having all these “glitches”. Yes, no, what do you think?

Jane is obviously attracted to Jake, but in chapter 33 she also reveals her attraction to Alex and in some what a lesser degree to Trevor.
Why do you think she’s single?
Is this a telltale fault?

Very little has been revealed about “The Other Candidate”. What is your impression of her?

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman-Week Two discussion

Here's where Hank was yesterday at the Barnes & Noble at Derby Street

230966_290503874388380_469724659_n.jpeg

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Here's where Hank was yesterday at the Barnes & Noble at Derby Street

230966_290503874388380_469724659_n.jpeg

That looks like quite the event at that Barnes and Noble, Deb. Isn't that Dennis Lehane Hank is talking to? Looks like she was getting an autographed copy of one of his books from him! Of course, I imagine lots of Mystery authors are fans of some other authors, too!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Oh, that;s frim Crime BAke last year! I was so busy at Barnes and Noble (Derby Street)that I forgot to take a photo..so I put this one up just for fun and to celebrate Dennis' new book!
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Oh, cannot wait to hear what you think!

Remember Jane is 33--wonder what she's thinking about her future? And her devotion to her job versus her love life? Where are people at age 33 in their careers--when they are focused on success? And remember--Jake is off limits. Should she broaden her horizons? Or not?
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

And dont forget all the dirty tricks you hear about in political campaigns, right? Sabotage is something that's a constant threat...things like theft of lawn signs, defacing posters, cutting off communications, obombarding voters with robo-calls..

Sometimes the "tricks" are done on purpose by the opposing campign, and sometimes, by rogue supporters or over-enthusiastic partisans. Hmmm...what might be happening here?

xox HAnk

Hank
dhaupt
0 Kudos

now here's a recent event for Hank at Newtonville Books

Photo's by Chrissy Kent

DSC_0149-800x666.jpegDSC_0155-800x5591.jpeg

here's a link to the event

http://askmissa.com/2012/10/16/recap-book-launch-party-for-whdh-tv-reporter-and-mystery-author-hank-...

and another event tonight at The Barnes & Noble Boston University book store

http://bu.bncollege.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/BNCBcalendarEventListView?langId=-1&storeId=13555&...

Have a great time Hank, we I could be there

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

dhaupt wrote:

Week Two

Well in week two we’re finally getting some answers, but sometimes they only seem to lead to more questions.

I’d like you to discuss the journalistic differences between Jane and Tuck, Muse touched on this topic in the Bridge Killer thread. I’d like to expand on this.
Do you think the difference, if there is one, is due to the TV vs Newspaper history.

Sabotage has been suggested as the reason Lassiter’s campaign is having all these “glitches”. Yes, no, what do you think?

Jane is obviously attracted to Jake, but in chapter 33 she also reveals her attraction to Alex and in some what a lesser degree to Trevor.

Very little has been revealed about “The Other Candidate”. What is your impression of her?

I probably still haven't read quite as far as some of the others in this forum, so I'll only answer the questions that fit my reading .

First, the difference between Tuck and Jane.

Kind of like "Good Cop, Bad Cop" isn't it?  To illustrate that quip, I'm thinking of the boardroom scene after the body of Sellica (sp?) has been discovered.(Hope that isn't a spoiler, in case there's someone who hasn't read as far as I have! ) In that scene, Jane finds that everyone in the room expects her to now reveal who her source was. They are so busy salivating over how they can use that information that they completely overlook the fact that Jane still is ethically bound to not release the name of her source. Tuck seems to be supportive of Jane when she informs the others of her position, but I got the impression that was more because Tuck was looking ahead to what opportunity that might mean for HER. In short, she's capable of appearing compassionate, but underneath that, she's very calculating.

I''l just close by saying that if I were ever going to be interviewed, I know which one of the two kinds of reporters I'd want to be talking to--and it isn't Tuck or her kind!

Will skip over sabotage as haven't gotten to that yet.

Now, about Jane and her romantic ties, or lack of them. Deb, I cannot believe that you asked us whether Jane's being single at 33 is a "telltale fault"!!!!

Ok honesty meter here. When's the last time you questioned whether there was something wrong with a 33 year old MALE who was still single????? Huh?

I am going to quote Susan B. Anthony here:

Marriage, to women, as to men. must be a luxury, not a necessity; an incident of life , not all of it. And the only possible way to accomplish this great change is to accord to women equal power in the making, shaping and controlling of the circumstances of life."

Granted, Jane may not have complete control over her circumstances(she still has managers who have a say in what stories she's assigned to , but to be fair, so would a male reporter in her position.) She's had a college education, and CHOSE this profession--something that was not possible for her grandmother or maybe even her own mother. Let's also factor in that her career is a highly demanding one, and that she doesn't have a lot of extra  "down" or free time. Would she be that much happier if she had a husband and children making demands on her while she was undergoing her firing and all the residual damage that came with it????

Finally, let's not forget that at least in fiction, the best detectives have mostly been single. Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Sam Spade, Nero Wolfe--these figures have all been single, and thus their authors are free to write plots around them that might not have been so plausible had they been happily married with children. In fact, I'm trying to remember the name of ANY fictional male detective who was married with children(with the possible exception of Maigret, who was married, but then he was French--well, I don't have to spell out what THAT means, do I?)So, why should we be in such a hurry to get Jane "Hooked Up"??? Leave her single, Hank, please!

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka, back up there girl. 

re-read the question

So what I was asking was if her wishy-washiness in regards to her being attracted to more than one man has anything to do with why she's single, and not just in regards to her career.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Fricka, back up there girl. 

re-read the question

So what I was asking was if her wishy-washiness in regards to her being attracted to more than one man has anything to do with why she's single, and not just in regards to her career.  :smileyhappy:

Ok, I will quit breathing fire for a bit, Deb::catlol:. But, you see, I haven't quite gotten to Chapter 33, so I was answering your question as I saw it just referring to Jane being single. The attraction to Alex I think may be there a bit from the beginning--not that I think that is a good thing, as the guy is a real jerk. I just hated the way that he treated Jane when she first started working for him. I won't comment on Trevor, as I haven't gotten there yet. I do admire Jane for realizing that a relationship with Jake will be problematic, but I would hope that maybe they could work that out somehow. In real life, James Carvflle and Mary Matalin are an example of a couple who both have careers that, since they are on opposite ends of the political spectrum, would  seem to make a marriage or relationship verboten, but they have worked that out. I am tempted to go medieval here and ask, why Jane and Jake couldn't have a SECRET marriage or relationship, or else make a pact that work is never discussed between them while they are at home together. As for Jane being attracted to more than one man, well, sorry, but we all know that as humans, we're capable of caring for more than one person at a time. Jane's not even DATING Jake on a regular basis, let alone engaged to him, so why wouldn't she pick up on being attracted to other men?

For the obvious reasons, I don't see a relationship with Alex working out well for her. He has too much power over her, career wise, and I don't see him as the kind of guy that would look out for her interests, especially if it conflicted too much with his expectations. Maybe he'll grow to respect her a bit more in the latter chapters of this book, or in the next book. Otherwise, I would not wish him on my best friend.

Trevor-- again, no comment as I haven't gotten to that part yet. And I STILL think that at this time, Jane is better off single! Just my two knut's worth.

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Fricka wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

Week Two

I probably still haven't read quite as far as some of the others in this forum, so I'll only answer the questions that fit my reading .

First, the difference between Tuck and Jane.

Kind of like "Good Cop, Bad Cop" isn't it?  To illustrate that quip, I'm thinking of the boardroom scene after the body of Sellica (sp?) has been discovered.(Hope that isn't a spoiler, in case there's someone who hasn't read as far as I have! ) In that scene, Jane finds that everyone in the room expects her to now reveal who her source was. They are so busy salivating over how they can use that information that they completely overlook the fact that Jane still is ethically bound to not release the name of her source. Tuck seems to be supportive of Jane when she informs the others of her position, but I got the impression that was more because Tuck was looking ahead to what opportunity that might mean for HER. In short, she's capable of appearing compassionate, but underneath that, she's very calculating.

I''l just close by saying that if I were ever going to be interviewed, I know which one of the two kinds of reporters I'd want to be talking to--and it isn't Tuck or her kind!

Will skip over sabotage as haven't gotten to that yet.

Now, about Jane and her romantic ties, or lack of them. Deb, I cannot believe that you asked us whether Jane's being single at 33 is a "telltale fault"!!!!

Ok honesty meter here. When's the last time you questioned whether there was something wrong with a 33 year old MALE who was still single????? Huh?

I am going to quote Susan B. Anthony here:

Marriage, to women, as to men. must be a luxury, not a necessity; an incident of life , not all of it. And the only possible way to accomplish this great change is to accord to women equal power in the making, shaping and controlling of the circumstances of life."

Granted, Jane may not have complete control over her circumstances(she still has managers who have a say in what stories she's assigned to , but to be fair, so would a male reporter in her position.) She's had a college education, and CHOSE this profession--something that was not possible for her grandmother or maybe even her own mother. Let's also factor in that her career is a highly demanding one, and that she doesn't have a lot of extra  "down" or free time. Would she be that much happier if she had a husband and children making demands on her while she was undergoing her firing and all the residual damage that came with it????

Finally, let's not forget that at least in fiction, the best detectives have mostly been single. Sherlock Holmes, Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Sam Spade, Nero Wolfe--these figures have all been single, and thus their authors are free to write plots around them that might not have been so plausible had they been happily married with children. In fact, I'm trying to remember the name of ANY fictional male detective who was married with children(with the possible exception of Maigret, who was married, but then he was French--well, I don't have to spell out what THAT means, do I?)So, why should we be in such a hurry to get Jane "Hooked Up"??? Leave her single, Hank, please!

I guess we will find out more about Jane in the next book.  Will she have an affair with Jake or not? 

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Fricka, that's fascinating! I have to admit, I have NEVER thought about the singleness of detectives..so interesting!

And you have quite the persuasive list there! I CAN think of DIsmas HArdy, right? But I think in the last book they might not have been so happy. Let's see...still thinking. Can we come up with a happily married male detective?

ANd I;d say many women in TV are NOT married at age 33--and if they are, it;s not for long that they're doing both TV and "real life." It's impossibly stressful.

In fact, you'll find a lot of TV people marry other TV people...because at least they understand the pressure.
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

This was such a terrific event!
Tonight--Barnes & Noble's fabulous store at Kenmore Square. Nervous about this, I will admit--since it's the same night as the debate. But it'll be over way before the debate starts!

Ah, the life of an author on tour! Talk about stress!
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Yes, now Tuck. There is a character you can't quite figure out, right?
And remind me, when we get finished with the whole book, to telly you something.
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

YOu know, my husband Jonathan is a criminal defense attorney, and sometimes he has cases he can't talk to me about .Sometimes I do stories that I can;t tell him about. It's--no fun.

Sometimes--we tell each other things that are private and we can never admit we know. Also--not the most fun.

IN fact--since it's just us here~! Years ago in another city I (a TV reporter) dated the city editor of a newspaper. Now THAT was a situation!
Hank
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Now see THIS is a discussion :smileyhappy:

Loving it.

Wow Hank TV and Newspaper together, how scandalous :smileyhappy:

As far as happily married detectives I can think of a few

Lucas Davenport from the Prey series by John Sandford

Scotland Yard Superintendant Duncan Kincaid in the series by Deborah Crombie

John Corey & Kate Mayfield in the series by Nelson DeMille

we have FBI husband and wife team Savich and Sherlock

and finally but not everyone Shane Scully from the series by the late Stephen Cannell

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh

[ Edited ]

If anything, I'm more suspicious of everyone in the second week of reading than I was in the first. My mind is still reeling. I feel like I have more information on all the characters but try as I might, I cannot piece any of it together. And believe me, I'm trying! I think Kenna Wilkes, or as we know her now, Matt's sister, Cissy, is the person I have changed my mind about the most this week. I did not see that one coming. I was leery of her to begin with but now knowing who she really is has made me wonder what she's really up to. Is she trying to destroy her dad or does she just want to get closer to him. Unfortunately for Lassiter, I think it's the former than the latter.

I like Jane's style of reporting better than Tuck's at this point. She has proven to us that she values the relationship she has with her sources. Even after Sellica's death, Jane refuses to give up Sellica's name even to clear her own. I have a lot of respect for someone like that. Tuck is more in your face and as Jake realized she's willing to not follow protocol and do whatever she can to get the story she wants. Jake has found Tuck taking pictures of one of the crime scenes and then Tuck shows up unannounced at his office trying to get information. Tuck is just out to be the first person to get the big  scoop on a story no matter what the cost.

There are just too many glitches in Lassiter's campaign for me to rule out sabotage. The mix-up with the event in Springfield was a big snafu. First the event venue had never been reserved, then the lights go out. My gut thinks it may be an inside job. I just don't trust Rory Maitland. Red flags keep popping up whenever I read about him. I still can't figure out why he stopped the car to get some campaign work done after they left the hotel the night of the Springfield rally. Then he makes a big show of being too tired to drive the extra hour to get home so Lassiter suggests they spend the night in a different hotel. He also talks Lassiter out of calling Moira. Suspicious. He just seems like a snake to me and I wouldn't doubt it if he would be the one sabotaging Lassiter's campaign.

I think Jane is single because she's focused all her attention on her career. She knows she wants to succeed in her field and to do that, it requires her to spend almost all of her time doing research and following the trail of the next big story. When Jake is at her house offering Jane company for her nap, I could feel how much they both wanted to be with each other, but alas work called for Jake. I think it helps the Jane/Jake situation that they both are career driven. Jake wants to prove to everyone that he deserves his position on the squad, so he too puts his work above any romantic involvement. I think this makes it easier on both of them because this way they're both to blame for not being together not just one of them.

Eleanor Gable seemed like her own one woman show. She seemed to know exactly what to say and which parts of her life to highlight in an interview to make herself shine. She seemed very put together and well organized. Eleanor Gable reminded me a bit of Jane in the respect that she put her career first, before her love life. She says, "But there are so many things I need to get accomplished. Marital bliss will have to wait." I was intrigued when she brought up Lassiter's first wife. Was this just a defensive reaction to Jane's question of whether or not it was difficult to run by herself? Was Lassiter's first wife, Katharine, brought up so she wouldn't have to be compared to Lassiter's current wife, Moira? Did she really not know where Katharine was? It seems strange to me that with all the campaign coverage no one had ever dug up the fact that Lassiter had been married before.

There were so many moments in this week's reading where I had to stop midsentence to exclaim out loud that I couldn't believe what was happening. This book has blown me away so far. My mind is still trying to wrap itself around the fact that Holly's body was discovered and Jane recognized a sketch of her as the girl she snapped a photo of at the campaign rally in Springfield. And the woman introduced herself as Kenna Wilkes. I'm dying to know who is the real Kenna Wilkes and what ties if any does she have to Matt's sister, Cissy and to Holly Neff. Were Holly and Cissy strangers or were they working together? What are the chances of two strangers using the same alias? Great story Hank! I'm loving every minute of it!

April
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Fifth time I've tried to be able to sit down and reply (four times called away). Finally, I get to sit down and answer them alllllll.....AND THE GREMLIN ATE IT!!!

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:
Fifth time I've tried to be able to sit down and reply (four times called away). Finally, I get to sit down and answer them alllllll.....AND THE GREMLIN ATE IT!!!

Muse

I found him

imgres.jpeg

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

I hear microwave ovens are good for gemlins....got one?
Muse
A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.