Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman-Week Two discussion

Mountain_Muse wrote:
Fifth time I've tried to be able to sit down and reply (four times called away). Finally, I get to sit down and answer them alllllll.....AND THE GREMLIN ATE IT!!!

Muse

Awww, so sorry about your having problems with the gnomes, Muse.

Usually I"M the one who has fallen victim to their pranks! Guess it's good to know I'm not the only one who has posting problems on the B&N site. But, in answer to you post after this one, I do kinda think they would be crunchy if popped in the microwave--catching one of them would be the real challenge, now wouldn't it?

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

Mountain_Muse wrote:
Fifth time I've tried to be able to sit down and reply (four times called away). Finally, I get to sit down and answer them alllllll.....AND THE GREMLIN ATE IT!!!

Muse

Awww, so sorry about your having problems with the gnomes, Muse.

Usually I"M the one who has fallen victim to their pranks! Guess it's good to know I'm not the only one who has posting problems on the B&N site. But, in answer to you post after this one, I do kinda think they would be crunchy if popped in the microwave--catching one of them would be the real challenge, now wouldn't it?

This was the first reply I saw this am Fricka, you win the Friday humor award :smileyhappy:

imgres.jpeg

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

LOL, Fricka. Somethings tells me you are too young to remember the movie Gremlins.
Muse
I will try to repost again later today....hope and pray. :-)
A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

dhaupt
0 Kudos

It seems as we're not the only ones having trouble with the gremlins.

Hank is also having problems, but she will be with us as soon as possible

Hang in there everyone

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

I'm kind of testing this to see if I can get in, write something, and get out before the gnomes know I'm here. Hope Hank will be able to get through, eventually.

Well, I did get to the part in the book about the big fiasco in Springfield. Hank writes about it so convincingly from Jane's POV that it's not entirely clear at first that it is sabotage--especially after Jane had her little chat with the obliging check in lady who basically let her know that the mess was the result of Lassiter's aides not making the reservations soon enough.

I guess politics being what they are, it's possible that the lights going out were a combination of mismanagement and maybe a bit of sabotage thrown in. I just think that had Gable really been behind the sabotage, it would have been done more craftily. That doesn't mean that someone like Ross couldn't be playing both sides of the fence, though he doesn't seem like he'd be a very competent double agent. What I have trouble understanding is how Owne came to hire him in the first place. Some of the things that he says to Lassiter seem to be questionable, and Lassiter doesn't get a pass  for not being more on top of things instead of just putting on speed control. The scenes that had Owen, Ross, and Kenna in the car together really made me wonder "Who's the boss"?. Don't know if this is par for the course with most political races or not, but if it is, I say God Help Us! The LEAST a candidate can do is thoroughly vet the people around him, and it's clear Lassiter hasn't done that.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fricka wrote:

I'm kind of testing this to see if I can get in, write something, and get out before the gnomes know I'm here. Hope Hank will be able to get through, eventually.

Well, I did get to the part in the book about the big fiasco in Springfield. Hank writes about it so convincingly from Jane's POV that it's not entirely clear at first that it is sabotage--especially after Jane had her little chat with the obliging check in lady who basically let her know that the mess was the result of Lassiter's aides not making the reservations soon enough.

I guess politics being what they are, it's possible that the lights going out were a combination of mismanagement and maybe a bit of sabotage thrown in. I just think that had Gable really been behind the sabotage, it would have been done more craftily. That doesn't mean that someone like Ross couldn't be playing both sides of the fence, though he doesn't seem like he'd be a very competent double agent. What I have trouble understanding is how Owne came to hire him in the first place. Some of the things that he says to Lassiter seem to be questionable, and Lassiter doesn't get a pass  for not being more on top of things instead of just putting on speed control. The scenes that had Owen, Ross, and Kenna in the car together really made me wonder "Who's the boss"?. Don't know if this is par for the course with most political races or not, but if it is, I say God Help Us! The LEAST a candidate can do is thoroughly vet the people around him, and it's clear Lassiter hasn't done that.

Fricka, thanks for the comments. I too wondered about the people that Lassiter chooses to have around him. If I remember correctly Rory ( is that who you meant) was suggested because of his expertise in getting candidates elected.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

Yeah, Deb, Rory is who I meant.(Rory, Ross, ha ha, at least I knew the name began with an R, and that's not too bad since I wasn't looking at the book at the time I posted!. :catlol:)All I have to say about Rory's reputation is that he's probably getting the credit for someone else's work. Unlike Lassiter, I bet Rory's a lot more careful about who he gets to work under HIM, as he needs someone who's a hard worker, but who doesn't need public accolades that much--pretty much a lot of female volunteers, I think, as it seems a lot of them are content to sort of be the "power behind the throne" so to speak. It's just hard not to reach the conclusion that if Lassiter was paying a bit more attention to who's working for him, AND his schedule, that fiasco shouldn't have happened. I also find it hard to believe that Lassiter isn't asking Moira why she isn't coming on the road with him. It seems strange that he's willing to accept Rory's second-hand assertions about why Moira's staying at home. Unless she's a closet alcoholic or something, WHY wouldn't Owen be insisting that Moira make some appearances with him?--and thus appearing as the happily married family guy that voters can trust to represent them.