Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

The Other Woman- Week three

Wow, I can't believe it's already time to discuss week three, where does the time go?

As always just let this be your gentle guide to discuss the novel.

Now we know that this is more than one story we have:

Let's start with the Lassiter(s) story-

Did you see any of this (the children- the sabotage and by whom) coming?

The Murder(s)

Did the real killer of Sellica-

Thoughts about the crime, the killer

The characters- has anyone changed in your opinion?

Jane- what was your final thoughts on her

Final thoughts

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Re: The Other Woman- Week three

Cant wait to hear what you think...! And keep in mind: I have no outline when I'm writing, so I have no idea what's going to happen.
If you say--whoa, I didn't see that coming! My response is--yeah, I didn't either.
Hank
http://www.HankPhillippiRyan.com
watch for THE OTHER WOMAN coming in 2012
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hank_Phillippi_Ryan wrote:
Cant wait to hear what you think...! And keep in mind: I have no outline when I'm writing, so I have no idea what's going to happen.
If you say--whoa, I didn't see that coming! My response is--yeah, I didn't either.

Hank, you will have NO secrets when you're through here :smileyhappy:

NOW PEEPS- Attention Please

as you know B&N.com does not allow for contests, but our wonderful Hank wanted a way to say thank you so if you go to her email  hryan@whdh.com, mention that you were a part of our featured read she will place you in a hat for a special drawing. The winner will be announced this Friday so don't delay.

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

And yes--I' d really love to know what you predicted might be the outcome..and where you were right, and where you were wrong!

Hank
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh

[ Edited ]

I was suspicious of Kenna from the beginning, but when she revealed herself as Lassiter's daughter, Sarah, I was blown away. I knew something was fishy about her but I never would have suspected her to be Lassiter's long lost daughter. Matt surprised me too. Honestly if given a choice between him and Sarah as to who would be the one to hate Lassiter more and to threaten to kill him, I would have thought it would be Matt not Sarah. After all Matt was the one to kill Holly Neff. Sure, he said it was to protect his father, but I saw Matt as a more threatening character than Sarah. How surprised I was to find out Matt sacrificed his own life by tackling Sarah when she threatened to shoot their father!

I didn't suspect that Patti Vick would turn out to be Sellica Darden's real killer. It was almost too easy to suspect Arthur Vick as the murderer, but he had motive and my money was on him. Patti Vick almost got away with the perfect crime. She kills her husband's prostitute, lets him take the blame for murder and thinks she'll make off with his million dollar settlement from Jane's Channel 11 scandal. The perfect revenge on her cheating husband. When she slips up to Jake and Jake confronts Arthur, I almost laughed at how quickly Arthur jumped at the chance to let his wife take the fall. Obviously no love lost there! He basically told Jake he'd testify against his wife, anything, just so he could leave the jail and go home. I loved how in his process of trying to get released he slipped up to Jake and admitted he committed perjury in Jane's defamation trial. I was glad Arthur got what was coming to him. Justice was served in the end and Jane's name also got cleared.

The person who surprised me the most to me was Eleanor Gable. For the brief time we met her, I found her put together and in control of her campaign. She was a strong woman who could run the show by herself. Red flags didn't go up for me until Jane uncovered that Kenna/Sarah claimed to be living in a house Eleanor owned. When Jane found Rory Maitland at her house and realized they were in cahoots together, I still couldn't believe it. Rory, I suspected, was behind the problems with Lassiter's campaign, but Eleanor came as a surprise to me. And to find out Rory and Eleanor were working with Sarah to ruin Lassiter the whole time. Wow! And then the shocker that Rory commits suicide in a hotel room. So many questions left there. All I know for sure is that Eleanor Gable sure has a lot of explaining to do and with Maitland dead, all the blame is on her.

I love, love, love Jane! In fact, I miss her already. She was a great character to get to know. She proved herself to be trust worthy many times over. She kept her source a secret in the Arthur Vick case, even though she lost her job and may have been sued. She kept Moira Lassiter's suspicions of whether or not Owen was cheating on her out of the press, choosing instead to investigate on her own. I'm glad everything worked out in the end for Jane. Her name was cleared of any wrong doing in the Arthur Vick case, she ended up with the scoop of the year and Channel 11 came crawling back to her and she got to turn them down! Talk about her life turning around for her! The only thing missing was some sort of romantic connection with Jake. Maybe next time!

I love that after everything the Lassiter's had been through, with Matt's death and then Sarah's, that Moira took the time to take Jane aside in the hospital to explain everything more clearly. I could feel Moira's pain at losing both her step-children and the burden of thinking it was all because she had been the other woman in Owen's first marriage. ""You can choose your sin, Jane", she whispered. "But you cannot choose your consequences."" Great line!

This turned out to be one amazing book, with so many twists and turns that I couldn't have guessed the ending if I tried! And believe me, I did try! Hank, hats off to you! You kept me entertained the entire time and the book just flew by. And to hear you didn't have an outline and weren't sure what was going to happen. Amazing! You have a new fan in me Hank and I can't wait to read more from you!

April
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Here's our Hank at an event last night at The Mystery Lover's Bookshop

525654_4205591612472_1676016656_n.jpeg

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Okay. I am in tears of delight. Thank you. Let me read this again, and savor it, and then I'll write again! Thank you!
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Yes! It was fantastic, and fun, and a wonderfully memorable event! And yes, that woman is bringing me CAKE. Red velvet cake, in fact, specifically made to match the book cover--from the Pittsburgh Sisters in Crime. Now that's sisterhood! xoo
Hank
Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka

Well, I tried to post in here yesterday, but after I'd written about a paragraph, the screen went dark, and when I tried to get out of that, I lost my post. Muse, looks like those pesky gremlins or gnomes are at it again! Anyone got a crossbow  or two we could use? Methinks it's now open season on those pests! I've got a bunch of crispy fries in my freezer that would go well with Bar-B-Q.gremlin(tastes like chicken, I hear!:catlol:)

Anyway, Hank, that was so cool that one of your fans brought you cake! Looks like you are having a great time on your book signing tour!

Don't think I can do any better than April, as she pretty much covered the bases.

But, I do want to add just a couple of comments, and hope that it's not too repetittive on April's post.

I have to admit, the whole thing of there being TWO children of Lassiter operating anonymously did not occur to me. I didn't like Kenna, but I would never have suspected her of being Lassiter's DAUGHTER! Very sneaky there, Hank! I mean, the whole thing is kind of sick. How many women try to act seductive towards their fathers to get them into trouble? And having Matthew, the son, end up being a killer, that I could see as we pretty much got his intentions towards Holly.

Speaking of Holly, there's another twisted person, who ended up being pretty much a red herring. and Hank, it was so clever of you to have Holly masquerade as KENNA! There for a few pages, it looked like Jane was going to be hung out to dry again, with getting Alex to go with the story of Kenna's death. It was such a relief when Jane discovered that Kenna was actually still alive, and that the murder victim had been using a false name! My! all those turns! I felt a lot like I was on a roller-coaster ride with Jane.

I totally did not suspect Mrs. Vick as the actual killer of Sellica, either. Have to say it was pretty funny the way Jake got Mr. and Mrs. Vick to turn on each other by informing them separately that the other one had confessed to being the killer!

I commented on an earlier post that I thought Rory was being incompetent, but I didn't actually suspect him of overt sabotage, nor did I think Eleanor Gable was behind the dirty tricks! Just goes to show, you can't judge by appearances, even in fiction! That scene where Jane discovers their co-conspiracy, was funny AND scary at the same time! Luckily for Jane, they were merely saboteurs and not killers!

I think the character who surprised me the most and made me change my opinion about her, was Moira.

I started out thinking she was a victim, then a manipulator, and at the end, I did feel sorry for her.

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Wordsmith
elaine_hf

[ Edited ]

Sorry, I've been out of the loop for a while - travelling for fun, for work...just glad to be home!

I guess I never thought that Sellica's killer was Arthur Vick, and I did suspect his wife, particularly after we met her and discovered that Arthur was spending a lot of time with other 'presumably innocent' women. Arthur was just....too easy, too obvious. And seeing how the rest of the story was playing out, I didn't think the answer was going to be easy OR obvious. I did not guess that Matt was Lassiter's son, and I never would have guessed that Kenna was his daughter. Although I didn't like her, and didn't trust her. And I agree with the other comments, I would have thought that Matt would have been the one to want to kill Lassiter. But upon reflection, I think that women might live with a long-standing grudge that turns to anger and, in unstable people, can turn to violence. Like - when I find myself in a squabble with my hubby, he'll get over it as soon as we're done, but I will sulk for ... let's just say a long time. Of course, he's still alive  :smileywink:  , but I think that in an unstable person that anger could become very unhealthy.

Holly - I really really thought she was just a sicko stalker - in a 'Play Misty for Me' kind of way. Such an interesting twist, her involvement with Matt.

Great book, Hank! And now I'm going to email you for that drawing! I'll give this book a little more thought, and I'll be back if I feel like I can make a contribution here.

Elaine

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Thanks for your comments April, Fricka and Elaine

and Hank thanks for putting up with our B&N gremlins who've been here pretty much the whole month

here's another pic for Hank, an upcoming Event

311248_10151204483613624_129159588_n.jpeg

Distinguished Wordsmith
Fricka
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

NOW PEEPS- Attention Please

as you know B&N.com does not allow for contests, but our wonderful Hank wanted a way to say thank you so if you go to her email  hryan@whdh.com, mention that you were a part of our featured read she will place you in a hat for a special drawing. The winner will be announced this Friday so don't delay.

Thanks for the notice, Deb. Just wanted to note that while I appreciate Hank's having a drawing, I won't be putting my name in the hat. I've already been to a book signing, where I got a signed book, signed copy of Mystery Scene mag. with Hank's picture on the cover, bookmarks, and The Other Woman Lipgloss which Hank was handing out at the signing. I can't think of anything else I need or want, so I've decided that by NOT putting my name in, it will increase the odds for Muse, April, eadie, or Elaine.(Sorry if I left anyone out!) Good luck, ladies, and don't forget to get your name in the hat before tomorrow!!!!!:catwink:

" A murder mystery is the normal recreation of the noble mind."--Sister Carol Anne O' Marie
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

dhaupt wrote:

Wow, I can't believe it's already time to discuss week three, where does the time go?

As always just let this be your gentle guide to discuss the novel.

Now we know that this is more than one story we have:

Let's start with the Lassiter(s) story-

Did you see any of this (the children- the sabotage and by whom) coming?

The Murder(s)

Did the real killer of Sellica-

Thoughts about the crime, the killer

The characters- has anyone changed in your opinion?

Jane- what was your final thoughts on her

Final thoughts

Hey Guys,

I'm BACK!!!  I finally gave up last week.  :smileymad:

But it didn't keep me from following all of you with much guilty pleasure and not so guilty jealousy that I couldn't join in the frucous and add my two cents about all the goings on in Boston.

cr

But .... here we are at the end and what an end Hank played out for us.  The cross communications and crossed-stars between Jane and Jake had fleeting scenes of Doris Day and Cary Grant movies flashing through my head... almost Abbot and Costelloish in nature...you know " Who's on first, What's on second, I Don't Know is on third-"  That was pure genius, such subtle humor interjected into an otherwise complicated and heavy scene where we, the reader were busy trying to sort things out and keep score on "who dun what".

What I loved most, was that the true story of this book was NOT about the Bridge Serial (not) Killer, but about the mystery of the Lassiter story.  The bridge killer was our red herring to keep us thrown off while the web of intrigue was knit and the story line built to set us up for a huge HUH?!?!?!?  Great job there, (AGAIN) Hank. :smileyhappy:  You had us all going along pointing fingers at ol' Vick.  It was pretty iron clad.  There were no other suspects out there and the case was continuing to build towards that end... the only thing that bothered me was the wife's absolute conviction that there was NO WAY her husband could have done it.  That smelled....to high heaven....she was just too confident...but it wasn't until the last chapters that I had my suspicions about that. But II REALLY loved Jake's final twist of the knife for "vick"  THAT WAS CLASSIC!!

Now to the Lassiter Clan...I knew we had molded cheese from Chapter 3 when Kenna told someone to "come pick up the kid".  I have an old Perry Mason formula that I worked out as a kid....the first substantial "walk-on" that isn't the victim usually is the one who did it.  Kenna got that star, but then I kept trying to figure out what-why and what for?  I never put the competition angle in there....BOOM!  (The competition plot and under story is going to rate a whole 'nother read just to go back and follow that line through the book and pull it out.)

Holly was a real space case, but did a great job of bringing Matt into the picture and mixing the pudding for Jake even more.  (A little more Abbott and Costello for Jake and Jane).  What she did affected so many people and so many lives, drawing together and tearing apart in the end, just by cause and effect of her own mis-guided compulsions and pyschosis.

I know it seems like I'm weaving around here, but that is also a part of what made this book such a wonderful and fascinating read.  It was also about how such disparate people and their lives, and how they are and can be interwoven.  All our lives inter weave in different circles and through different spheres of influence and responsibility.  Each decision (good or bad) is much like the pebble in the pond, it has rippling effects on those around us who interact with us and then interact with those around them.  And you thought this was just a mystery.  LOL

The question I was asking myself at the end was 

Who were the winners from all of this, truly?

Who were the losers?

Jane - She came out a winner, as she was vindicated, for Vick confessed his perjury (in the end). YEAH  Hopefully, she has also come out a better reporter and person for surviving all she has gone through.

She lost a good one by deciding to walk away from Jake....you don't let the good ones walk away.   (You just don't have relationships clandestinely.)

Jake - Winner -  Solved all the murders, got Vick to confess

Loser -  He lost Jane, he just doesn't know it yet.

The Lassiters -  Loser - They lost the two children they always longed for.

Winner - He'll take the election and hopefully will be a better Senator for the hardship he has lived through.

The Vicks - winners - They both got what they deserved. :smileyhappy:  Just not necessarily what they planned on.

Alex - Winner -  He has kept a top-notch reporter (and one that has some interest in him?!??)

Tuck - Loser - Your sins will find you out and then you will have to pay the piper.  (She did)  Integrity, is paramount in reporting, be it TV or Print....she just didn't learn that.

Another very well written, suspenseful book that kept me waiting for the end of the week so I could quickly read my next section....Now to go back and re-read,  knowing what I know....that is going to be a "whole 'nother story".  Thank you Hank.

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan

This is SO fascinating! One of the things that just knocks me off my feet is readers who really care..who think about what they've read, and assess it, and think about what the author was going for.

Also--it's so exciting to think of someone going back and re-reading--there are lots of things that are clues and hints--but you might not notice them at the time .When you go back--you'll see how it was all set up, and all there.

Remember there was a seemingly throw-away line that said--oh,everyone and his brother knows about the campaign? Smiling. That turned out to be true.

And another that said something about people who get jobs in campaigns "because they're the candidate's daughter or something."
Also true!

You go right by those as you read--but they're there on purpose!
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

.Muse said: "But I REALLY loved Jake's final twist of the knife for "vick" THAT WAS CLASSIC!!"

Yes! Thank you!! That, I have to admit, is one of my very favorite parts of the book ANd I did not see it coming!.
Hank
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

.Muse said: "But I REALLY loved Jake's final twist of the knife for "vick" THAT WAS CLASSIC!!"

Yes! Thank you!! That, I have to admit, is one of my very favorite parts of the book ANd I did not see it coming!.

That makes it even better. :-)  I don't think Jake thought that one out either.  I truly think that it was an "Ah Ha" moment for him in the middle of Vick's confession.  Along with "Jane is gonna  LOVE this. Hee Hee. SCORE!!" 

Sometime the Ah Ha moments are the best, aren't they. 

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

You know it's hard to believe we're almost at the end of month and the end of Jane's first splash onto the scene.

I can't wait for her second journey, I wonder where Hank will take her, will Jake be there, Alex, who?

I also want to take a moment to keep all of my East Coast peeps in my thoughts and this includes you Hank, as you're all waiting and watching Sandy meet up with the cold front

this is an image from Hank's TV station

2015_10151490028713332_719135018_n.jpeg

You all stay safe, warm and dry and batten down your hatches

Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Exactly! He thought of it at that very moment. (Just like I did!)
Hank
Author
Hank_Phillippi_Ryan
0 Kudos

Hey All! Rushing out to an event..but wanted to say thank you for the terrific week! More to come tmoorrow, and I'll be posting winners asap! Just want to make sure everyone gets a chance to enter for the gift basket of prizes at hryan@whdh.com!

xoox
Hank
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Stay safe and warm up there in Boston...We are ready here with every thing we need to weather the storm....if and when it hits us.
Muse