Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Tonya
0 Kudos

Re: The one book everyone should read

Lisa See... I loved, loved, loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. I want to pick every book she ever puts out now. That book had me from the VERY first word. The foot binding, to the friendships and everything in between.

I have never read Kite Runners, but didn't they just come out with a movie? I would rather read the book anyway! Might have to put it in my TBR pile though if it is indeed a really good read.

Tonya
Contributor
Kinsasha
0 Kudos

Probably the most important book I've ever read would have to be "Three Cups of Tea". True story about a very determined and brave man (Greg Mortenson) who has built- to date- 58 schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. He's promoting peace by giving the students there an education, and I don't think there's anything better to be done, especially in this day and age. It was single-handedly the most inspirational book I think I've ever read. I was ready to pack up and help this guy build more schools, after I put the book down. It's amazing and I think he's a role-model to follow.
I've also read "The Kite Runner" and was absolutle moved to tears, which doesn't happen to often to me. A great novel. And "Angela's Ashes" is also one of my faves, even though I don't think I can read it again. It was too sad for me. Luckily, Frank McCourt is such a good writer; he knows how to balance the heavy stuff w/ a good deal of heart and comedy. It is true though--after reading that, I have no right at all to complain about my life. I'm doing pretty darn good. You could say that about "The Kite Runner" too, I think. Good thread, good thoughts. Be well!

Kins
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Kinsasha wrote:
Probably the most important book I've ever read would have to be "Three Cups of Tea". True story about a very determined and brave man (Greg Mortenson) who has built- to date- 58 schools in Pakistan and Afghanistan. He's promoting peace by giving the students there an education, and I don't think there's anything better to be done, especially in this day and age. It was single-handedly the most inspirational book I think I've ever read. I was ready to pack up and help this guy build more schools, after I put the book down. It's amazing and I think he's a role-model to follow.
I've also read "The Kite Runner" and was absolutle moved to tears, which doesn't happen to often to me. A great novel. And "Angela's Ashes" is also one of my faves, even though I don't think I can read it again. It was too sad for me. Luckily, Frank McCourt is such a good writer; he knows how to balance the heavy stuff w/ a good deal of heart and comedy. It is true though--after reading that, I have no right at all to complain about my life. I'm doing pretty darn good. You could say that about "The Kite Runner" too, I think. Good thread, good thoughts. Be well!

Kins

I have seen the "three cups of tea book on the shelf at B&N. Now, I will go buy it. It looked good but I like another opinion.
Contributor
Kinsasha
0 Kudos

Kiakar, I am absolutely thrilled and honored. I hope that you enjoy "Three Cups..." as much as I have. Plus, I know that right now, at B&N, the book is 20% off in paperback! How cool is that?! I hope that this book achieves its mission of promoting peace and the one way to do that is to spread the word. Enjoy it. Take care!

Kins
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Kinsasha wrote:

Kins

I have seen the "three cups of tea book on the shelf at B&N. Now, I will go buy it. It looked good but I like another opinion.

Hi everyone, just joined recently and love this thread. I really enjoyed "Three Cups of Tea", as well. I lived in the Middle East for three years, and I tend to be pretty picky about books in that genre. "Angela's Ashes" was fabulous, as was "Tis". I STILL haven't read "Kite Runner!" One of these days!!!

I have several books I'd recommend for different reasons: "Grapes of Wrath" is my all-time favorite book. Homecoming, by Rosemunde Pilcher is one of my favorite family sagas and it's a warm hug that I return to happily. Another book I adore is relatively unknown; it was written by Victor Sondheim, titled "Inheritors of the Storm". I remember reading Inheritors years ago on a cold winter weekend and I've never forgotten it.

Last but not least...."The Book of Illusions" by Paul Aster is shear magic! Aster writes about a film maker and describes movies you would swear exist; that if you looked them up on the internet, the film maker and his movies would be there in real life. I enjoyed the storyline and the authors ability to weave it so artistically.

I'm sure there are plenty more that I'm not thinking of now, but these are my most memorable.

suzi
Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
MsMorninglight
0 Kudos

The first book that comes to mind for me is actually a non-fiction, 'Tuesdays With Morrie' - Mitch Albom.

Morrie was such an amazing man. And his insights on life touched my soul.

Morrie helped me learn to take time to honestly experience life. The good & even the bad. To paraphrase Morrie; experience & appreciate the good, then hold on to it. Experience the bad & then let it go.

"Three things in human life are important. The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind." - Henry James
New User
Monqiue
0 Kudos

I believe that everyone should read "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky
Contributor
MissEllen
0 Kudos

To Kill a Mocking Bird - such a beautifully written book with such strong characters. Had a big impact on me.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Monqiue wrote:
I believe that everyone should read "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I have that book, will have to break down and read it after I finish with the five books I am now doing on clubs.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

MissEllen wrote:
To Kill a Mocking Bird - such a beautifully written book with such strong characters. Had a big impact on me.

Yes, I feel everyone should read that book or it should be offered in schools to teach respect and to learn about human nature.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

First of all I would never say that there is one book everyone should read so I'll just give you my favorites and tell why.
I know this thread is under The Fiction General Discussion, but the most important book I ever read was The Dance of the Dissident Daughter by Sue Monk Kidd, I was going through my own questioning of faith at the time and her book really helped me. So of course now I love all her books.
I think my favorite fictional work has to be The Davinci Code only because it was the first book I read as an adult and only because of a New Year's resolution after I quit smoking in 2001 which lead me to today where I read an average of 4 books a week.
New User
biofreak
0 Kudos

I think the most remarkable book I've ever read is A Thousand Splendid Suns, by Khaled Hosseini.  I couldn't put it down.  Not only was it a contemporary story; it was insightful in its presentation of people under tremendous stress at all hours of the day and night.  We have no conception of that reality here.  The women in this story possess a grace I wish I had.
New User
jonesy
0 Kudos

the one book i loved and have read over and over again is THE HEART LISTENS by helen van slyke. wonderful book.
Frequent Contributor
Fiction4Sale
0 Kudos

Read the great modernist novel in English of the 20th century, James Joyce's Ulysses. While it is a bit of a challenge to get it all in one reading, the day and night in Dublin in 1904 are an unforgettable meander through the modern Western soul.
Jim Stallings: (Peruse published fiction ):
http://www.jimstallings.com

All books available through B&N also.
"Literature is humanity's deep gossip."
Frequent Contributor
FrankieD
0 Kudos

Okay...I'll have to go with Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett...definitely a must read!!!  So...enjoy:smileyhappy:

FrankieD :smileywink:
" The longer I live...the more beautiful life becomes."
- Frank Lloyd Wright
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

I love Rumer Godden as well.   I think one of my favorite of hers is Two Under the Indian Sun, written with her sister Jon Godden.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

FrankieD wrote:
Okay...I'll have to go with Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett...definitely a must read!!!  So...enjoy:smileyhappy:

FrankieD :smileywink:

I've heard so much about that book, so my must read list just keeps growing and is more so now that I regular these books clubs.
Contributor
Rbkh0
0 Kudos

I also believe everyone should read "To Kill a Mockingbird". People can learn so many things from the characters.
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

I agree, Thinker . . . I just finished it off for another online book club.

It amazes me how these women wrote such prolific fiction - I know they had scads to do in the way of looking after their homes and families.

And I doubt they had access to anything like a typewriter - ha ha!

In Jane Eyre, so much happens and it's marvelous the way it all flows together.

Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books
Frequent Contributor
WildCityWoman
0 Kudos

Oh, I'd almost forgotten Pat Conroy - he won my heart with Prince of Tides, of course.

I don't remember his other titles, but I think I did read at least one more.

Carly

http://wildcity.proboards14.com/index.cgi?board=Books