Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Very Valentine: First Impressions

What did you think of this title?   When I first heard of it, I had no idea what to think - and then of course, we find out the main character's name is Valentine.

Why do you think Trigiani gave our heroine this name? 

Please share any other first impressions of the novel in this thread. 

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: First Impressions

Stephanie wrote:

What did you think of this title?   When I first heard of it, I had no idea what to think - and then of course, we find out the main character's name is Valentine.

Why do you think Trigiani gave our heroine this name? 

Please share any other first impressions of the novel in this thread. 

Hmm, I was thinking the discussion was starting Monday....Okay, haven't finished the book yet, but I wouldn't dare give anything away, even if I had some insight from the ending about her name, or what it had to do with the story.

First impression thoughts: Name - Very Valentine.  Must have something to do with hearts, flowers, anything to do with Valentine's Day?  No?   Oh, it's a person! 

Okay, well, must be an Italian name....that comes a little closer to the Italian format of characters.   Ya gotta love um!   Ms. Valentine is a loveable character...Very Valentine is 
"Very" out there, you get a great detailed picture from the sketches that Adriana writes about her, and most of these other characters in the book.  I'm trying to write this in simple sentences, and not get too detailed as I write, as to not give too much away.

Novel first impressions:  It's well written, as to give you a sense of knowing who these characters are; how they feel, what they like and don't like; where they relate to each other, and the scenes that they are placed into. 

It's written in such great humor,  you laugh outloud, but also with a sympathetic side to the characters, and situations that they find themselves in.  And you want to dislike the right ones in the process. 

What struck me the most, is the feel and smell that this author gives back to you in her words.  I mean, I could literally smell the work place.  The leather and fabric, and dyes, and it gave me such nostagic references to my own grandfather, who lived in Mass., and I'd only met once.  He had a shoe shine shop.  He was called [and his shop] Montreal. 

I could almost place myself in some of these scenes, where creative processes occurred to the character of Valentine.  I've been there, and could literally feel it from her.  Very well written.

Anyway, just a few tactle things I've gotten from this book so far.  I have other thoughts, but I'll wait until the time comes, when the book itself is being discussed.

Kathy

Scribe
debbook

I thought the book would be more of a romance from the title.  But I'm not disappointed.   Also, I think this book should come with a warning: Do not read if you are on a diet, or are a recovering shoe addict!!

I'm not finished yet either. I'm not sure I will be able to discuss the book with everyone. This weekend I am moving to Tuscany to live and will be weekending on Capri. I don't think I will have time. But I will think of you all fondly:smileyvery-happy:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS

debbook wrote:

I thought the book would be more of a romance from the title.  But I'm not disappointed.   Also, I think this book should come with a warning: Do not read if you are on a diet, or are a recovering shoe addict!!

I'm not finished yet either. I'm not sure I will be able to discuss the book with everyone. This weekend I am moving to Tuscany to live and will be weekending on Capri. I don't think I will have time. But I will think of you all fondly:smileyvery-happy:

You wanted more romance?....Implied, described, implied....all over the place, what do you want, a 'RN"?

Hmm, Warning Labels!  I'm not a shoe addict, but I certainly had visions of making this author a set of bookends!  I pictured a beautifully sculpted shoe, gracefully perched over the edges, to show off her book.  I have to put a lasso to my brain, now.

Tuscany, and Capri...some people have all the luck.  You can always take your laptop and play with us on the beach.  Just don't kick sand into it, with your flip-flops! 

Make time!

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I wouldn't be able to concentrate, with being distracted by the ocean. No, I'm afraid you'll have to go on without me!

I definitely was not looking for a RN, just afraid that it was from the title. romance was there but not the main story. It always belongs in the background!

Reader 2
ReadingGirl
0 Kudos

I haven't yet started to read it, but I am really looking forward to it, Adriana Trigiani is one of my favorite authors!  I love her writing style.  My first impression after just hearing the title and seeing the cover was that it would be a romance of some sort, and then I read the cover flap and was even more intrigued by the story! I didn't realize it was going to be a trilogy either, so that is pretty exciting knowing that the end is hopefully going to be a cliffhanger of some kind!  

Jen 

KathyS
0 Kudos

Jen,

Please come and join us in this discussion with the author!  We would all love to hear your thoughts!

Now get to reading! :smileyhappy:

Kathy

ReadingGirl wrote:

I haven't yet started to read it, but I am really looking forward to it, Adriana Trigiani is one of my favorite authors!  I love her writing style.  My first impression after just hearing the title and seeing the cover was that it would be a romance of some sort, and then I read the cover flap and was even more intrigued by the story! I didn't realize it was going to be a trilogy either, so that is pretty exciting knowing that the end is hopefully going to be a cliffhanger of some kind!  

Jen 

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

It's very good, you'll have it read all too soon. Then you'll be waiting for the next one!!

ReadingGirl wrote:

Jen 

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh

This is my first time reading anything by this author and I'm very pleased with it so far. It's always nice to be introduced to a new author you really enjoy and to find out this is a trilogy is just icing on the cake!:smileyhappy:

The title at first made me a little leary. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Finding out the main character's name was Valentine made it all make sense. I love the name Valentine. It seems so romantic.

After reading the opening scene at the wedding and imagining Valentine touching up her lipstick in the fancy bathroom, it made the cover art tie into the book for me. Good choice. It's beautiful and ties into the story.

I wasn't sure I'd be that interested in reading about making shoes, but boy was I wrong. The authors descriptions of the shoe shop and the loving way these characters go about creating shoes really had me caring about the business right from the beginning. Can't wait to see what happens!

April
Frequent Contributor
Historyismypassion

My first impressions of Very Valentine were that it was possibly a romance?  I wasn't sure but I thought I would take a chance and read a different type of book than I would normally read to take a break. 

I have just started this book and am reading it on a Kindle (first time to do this) and I am finding that I miss the hardcover book but not as much as I  thought I would with this book so I may try it again soon. 

Why did Trigiani give the heroine this name?  Good question.  I am not far along in the book but I would hazzard a guess because she is so gracious to her grandmother and is a loving person who is finding her own self within her own heart.  I am new to this board so I will try to stay in contact with you.  I will be back soon once I have read more or see different threads come up.  Have a wonderful evening.

Historyismypassion

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Good to have you here History!

Historyismypassion wrote:

My first impressions of Very Valentine were that it was possibly a romance?  I wasn't sure but I thought I would take a chance and read a different type of book than I would normally read to take a break. 

I have just started this book and am reading it on a Kindle (first time to do this) and I am finding that I miss the hardcover book but not as much as I  thought I would with this book so I may try it again soon. 

Why did Trigiani give the heroine this name?  Good question.  I am not far along in the book but I would hazzard a guess because she is so gracious to her grandmother and is a loving person who is finding her own self within her own heart.  I am new to this board so I will try to stay in contact with you.  I will be back soon once I have read more or see different threads come up.  Have a wonderful evening.

Historyismypassion

Frequent Contributor
Historyismypassion
0 Kudos

debbok,

Thank you.  Nice to feel welcomed.  Have you finished the book? I am scrambling trying to find time to finish it before the discussion begins.  But I will finish it.  I am just a little scattered right now.

Historyismypassion

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I did finish it this weekend, stayed up late Friday night because I was to close to the end to leave it until morning. It is a pretty fast read. BUt the discussion will go all month, so don't worry!

Historyismypassion wrote:

debbok,

Thank you.  Nice to feel welcomed.  Have you finished the book? I am scrambling trying to find time to finish it before the discussion begins.  But I will finish it.  I am just a little scattered right now.

Historyismypassion

Wordsmith
kiakar

I was very lucky to get a ARC copy from the author  and have reviewed it on several sites.

Deb, you are so right, I started reading in the late afternoon and stayed up until four in the morning reading it. I couldnt put it down. And I am well satisfied with the love portrayed in Valentine. It has the Love title:  Very Valentine. And alot of people got this for Valentine's day. I had several friends to receive it from their love interests.  I love her descriptions of Valentine's love interest. She makes him into the lover of lover's heaven. So dark, so handsome, so manly. Ohh! I couldnt take much more love.   :smileyvery-happy: 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Great to see you all here!  I loved this book, it was the perfect escape for me right now. I was in Manhattan, I ate the best food ever, I fell in love, I was a shoemaker!  Wonderful story.

I really thought this was a romance novel too - the title really tripped me up in that regard. However, throughout the whole book, I kept wondering where Adriana Trigiani came up with Valentine for a title character's name... so I asked all of you! :smileyhappy:

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Great to see you all here!  I loved this book, it was the perfect escape for me right now. I was in Manhattan, I ate the best food ever, I fell in love, I was a shoemaker!  Wonderful story.

I really thought this was a romance novel too - the title really tripped me up in that regard. However, throughout the whole book, I kept wondering where Adriana Trigiani came up with Valentine for a title character's name... so I asked all of you! :smileyhappy:

I actually ran across those words, 'very Valentine', in the book.  Said by her mother.  I'll bring it up later in the discussion.

And it IS a romance novel!....you fall in love with every character, and every word! :smileyhappy:  I was heart broken when it ended! :smileysad:

Kathy

KathyS
0 Kudos

Very Valentine: Impressions - P.S.

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

Stephanie wrote:

I actually ran across those words, 'very Valentine', in the book.  Said by her mother.  I'll bring it up later in the discussion.

And it IS a romance novel!....you fall in love with every character, and every word! :smileyhappy:  I was heart broken when it ended! :smileysad:

Kathy

I was thinking a little more about my first impressions.

At first, from looking at the cover, I was hoping it wasn't going to be a ChickLit book.  I've read enough of those that relate only to the main charcter and her friends. Leaving not a lot of substance in their wake.  Some writers write well enough, where you don't mind listenig to nothing but dialogue from a younger set of people, and other writers leave me cold and  generationally lost with hip NY talk.

I found with this novel, it wasn't at all a ChickLit, it was surprisingly crossed with every generation, throughout the story.  This author allowed me to identify with each generation.  The generation gap didn't exist between these loving families.  And, I was hooked, from the first short, five word sentence, on the first page!  I knew who the main character was! I found myself feeling sympathetic to her and her cause, from that very first moment I heard her thoughts.

I wanted to live in NY, and I wanted to live in Italy.  I got to know this terrain, and the people in it.  I found the connections between all of these elements that were written into this story, and never felt it left me out.

I probably should have waited to say all of this, towards the end of the discussion, but since I don't give anything away in my 'reviews', about the story itself, I wanted to share my thoughts and impressions now, for anyone who may be second-guessing themselves about this story.

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 03-31-2009 01:03 PM
Frequent Contributor
Patty_Champion
0 Kudos

I admit I'm kinda shallow... I picked up the book because I loved the cover. I have read the author before and knew it would be a good story.

Although I'm a commited Berkenstock fan, after reading this I almost wished I could wear these high end designer shoes.

I agree with an earlier post about being able to smell the leather and hear the tapping of "Clickety Clacks" shoes. I want to go to the Angelini Shoe Store.

Patty
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Patty,

It's funny what we glean from a book cover, isn't it?  I always think about what the marketing people were going for, and how the author received their impression of what would sell the book. 

On another note, I want my son (13)to read this book, just so that he gets his Italian America heritage a little better, and so that he understands his mother's sentiments about NY.  He's such a non-ethnic American, and I wonder how it is for my kids to grow up like that.  My daughter is only ten, but she's in love with Italian food, and her (now deceased) Italian grandfather.  She was "his girl" through and through, and she adored him from the time she could stretch her chubby little baby hands up for him to pick her up. 

Stephanie
Author
AdrianaTrigiani
0 Kudos

Dear Readers,

Love the comments about the jacket luring you in- and of course the title.  Well, I didn't mean to choose a romantic sounding name- or the name of a holiday- I took the name Valentine from my cousin Valentine (nee Romano!), who I saw with her darling husband when I toured through Massachusetts.  Anyhow, she was a great sport about it.  I always loved her name- and here we are- then, the good folks at Harper's thought- how about a February release?  So, you will have the sequel Encore Valentine- in February 2010- very excited! Adriana