Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Very Valentine: The Wedding

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 

 

 

 

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

I don't suppose there is a place called Leonard's of Great Neck? :smileyhappy: 

 

I've never been to Long Island, and I've never been to an Italian wedding.  Sounds like an event everyone should attend!  Ha!

 

It makes me cringe, just the thought of having to wear a bridesmaid's dress.  This quote cracked me up, as Valentine salutes herself in the mirror.  "And I'd like to thank Spanx, the girdle genius, who turned my pear shape into a surfboard."  I'm still trying to picture the martini-shaped evening bag covered in sequins!  I hear the noise, and visualize all the little gossip corners!  Makes me want to go home!

 

K.


Stephanie wrote:

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

It sounded very familiar, all too familiar. Luckily it's been years since I've been to an Italian wedding. I may have been related to some of those people in the book

Stephanie wrote:

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 

 

 

 


 

.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

Yes, there is a Leonard's of Great Neck. It's on Northern Blvd.  :smileyhappy:  happy memories!
Stephanie
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎09-25-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

I loved this first chapter! It introduces us to a wild assortment of characters that I will not soon forget. You can really tell how close Valentine's family is.

I liked how every table at the wedding had a nick-name. The Friends Table. The Dementia Table. The Rude Table. I couldn't stop laughing because it's so true! The next wedding I go to I'll have to see where I'm seated!:smileywink: And poor Valentine stuck at the friends' table. Everyone questioning her about how long ago she's been "dumped" and trying to set her up. How embarassing!

April
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Chpt. 1 - Valentine: The Wedding

I didn't take notes on this book..I sucked it up too fast!  I skimmed over the first chapter last night, and realized that in this chapter, Valentine's character is physically described to it fullest.  Interesting how this author  made these description visible to us. 

 

First page:

Again, the first sentences of this book, she tells us: I'm not the pretty sister.  I'm not the smart sister.  I'm the "funny one" - we're in store for some humor from this character in this story.  And that sentence tells you she has two sisters, and gives me a pinch of what these two sisters are like.  She brings her borther into the chapter a little later.  I instantly did not like him.

 

Valentine's mother[Mike] talks about their noses, since they had their makup done by a professional makup artist for the wedding, to take the eye away from Valentine's nose, as the makeup was applied.  Her mom had cosmetic work done to hers, and says to Valentine, as Valentine voices whether she should have a nose job, too..."I wouldn't touch it.  Plus a tall person can carry a nose.  So be grateful that you got all the tall in the family". Giving you the impression she has a large nose, and is tall. (5-8)

 

Mike says, "You're a total original.  Your big, beautiful brown eyes are set just far enough apart.  Your lips, thank God, take after my side of the family.  The Roncalli lips are so thin they need Velcro to chew"........you get the sense that her lips are full.

 

Further conversations reveal feelings about her life, her work, and her relationship to her grandmother, with whom she lives.  She tells her mom, "I love my job and I love where I live."  You get the feeling, from all of these people, that they can't understand why she wants to keep living with her grandmother, and why she wants to be a shoemaker (cobbler).   You can't help but put that sentence into your mind, and ask the same questions, and look for the answers.  As you read through this story, it all unfolds. 

 

Did anyone else get a detail sense of this character, or any other characters from this chapter?

 

Kathy 

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

[ Edited ]

Deb,

 

Related to some of these people, huh? Ha!  To anyone in particular, in this story?  You say, luckily it's been years since you've been to one of these weddings..now why would you say that?   :smileyhappy:

 

It's funny, while reading this book, I was thinking of the movie, Moonstruck!  I loved that movie!  The family was so dynamic. So full of energy and passion!  And is that what it's really like when a bunch of Italians sit down to eat together?  No resemblance to my family, growing up.  We seem almost "too" civil! :smileyvery-happy:

 

Kathy


debbook wrote:
It sounded very familiar, all too familiar. Luckily it's been years since I've been to an Italian wedding. I may have been related to some of those people in the book


Stephanie wrote:

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 


Message Edited by KathyS on 04-01-2009 04:19 PM
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

I also liked that the table had names  - my personal favorite was the dementia table.  That's where I would ask to sit! :smileyvery-happy:

 

These are some of my memory triggers:

 

Harvey Wallbangers -- Metropolitan Opera House -- I-495 -- the cousin, "Kitty Calzetti" was my old friend Kathy Cozetti -- clams casino -- schnoz (no one says that in my town) -- Arthur Murray -- Englelbert Humperdinck -- you get the idea. 

 

So far I know I love Aunt Feen.  

 

Chapter 1 was a festival for me - aside from the painful toast Valentine gave.  What was she thinking? 

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding


aprilh wrote:

I loved this first chapter! It introduces us to a wild assortment of characters that I will not soon forget. You can really tell how close Valentine's family is.

I liked how every table at the wedding had a nick-name. The Friends Table. The Dementia Table. The Rude Table. I couldn't stop laughing because it's so true! The next wedding I go to I'll have to see where I'm seated!:smileywink: And poor Valentine stuck at the friends' table. Everyone questioning her about how long ago she's been "dumped" and trying to set her up. How embarassing!


 

April, 

 

Today is April 1!  I love that name, and the name June.  Always reminds me of springtime!  Sorry, I digressed there for a moment. :0

 

I was thinking about what you said, how close Valentine's family is.  I think, through thick and thin, they do rally around, and try to figure out what's best for each other, don't they? 

 

I  only have one brother, and I think about his kids of 5, and lots of grandkids and cousins, and how they all come together, always.  I miss some of that  large family stuff, with my dad's family of four brothers.  I had a taste of it growing up.  I have two daughters, and two grandkids, but it seems we're always going in different directions.  I do love it when we can all get together, but it's nice to know they'd be there in a heartbeat if I needed anything.

 

Are there large families in this discussion group, I mean besides Stephanie's bazillion siblings? :smileyvery-happy:  I wonder what the dynamics are in them.  If they're different in an Italian family.

 

Kathy

Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
Posts: 424
Registered: ‎09-25-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding


KathyS wrote:

aprilh wrote:

I loved this first chapter! It introduces us to a wild assortment of characters that I will not soon forget. You can really tell how close Valentine's family is.

I liked how every table at the wedding had a nick-name. The Friends Table. The Dementia Table. The Rude Table. I couldn't stop laughing because it's so true! The next wedding I go to I'll have to see where I'm seated!:smileywink: And poor Valentine stuck at the friends' table. Everyone questioning her about how long ago she's been "dumped" and trying to set her up. How embarassing!


 

April, 

 

Today is April 1!  I love that name, and the name June.  Always reminds me of springtime!  Sorry, I digressed there for a moment. :0

 

I was thinking about what you said, how close Valentine's family is.  I think, through thick and thin, they do rally around, and try to figure out what's best for each other, don't they? 

 

I  only have one brother, and I think about his kids of 5, and lots of grandkids and cousins, and how they all come together, always.  I miss some of that  large family stuff, with my dad's family of four brothers.  I had a taste of it growing up.  I have two daughters, and two grandkids, but it seems we're always going in different directions.  I do love it when we can all get together, but it's nice to know they'd be there in a heartbeat if I needed anything.

 

Are there large families in this discussion group, I mean besides Stephanie's bazillion siblings? :smileyvery-happy:  I wonder what the dynamics are in them.  If they're different in an Italian family.

 

Kathy


 

Kathy, I love June also. Probably because that's when my birthday is!:smileyhappy:

 

I have two sisters and a brother just like Valentine, except in our case us girls are older than our brother. The four of us have always been really close. And my poor brother has always been treated like he was one of us girls. We even had him attend our girls-only bridal showers! I'm not sure how much he actually wanted to attend (especially since he was the only guy!), but when he heard we wanted him there, he came. He's a really good sport and humors us in our crazy ideas. In our family we have always been there for each other no matter what is going on in our lives. I think that's why I can relate to how close Valentine is with her family. It seems like if a member of the family needs her, she's there. 

April
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding


aprilh wrote:

KathyS wrote:

aprilh wrote:

I loved this first chapter! It introduces us to a wild assortment of characters that I will not soon forget. You can really tell how close Valentine's family is.

I liked how every table at the wedding had a nick-name. The Friends Table. The Dementia Table. The Rude Table. I couldn't stop laughing because it's so true! The next wedding I go to I'll have to see where I'm seated!:smileywink: And poor Valentine stuck at the friends' table. Everyone questioning her about how long ago she's been "dumped" and trying to set her up. How embarassing!


 

April, 

 

Today is April 1!  I love that name, and the name June.  Always reminds me of springtime!  Sorry, I digressed there for a moment. :0

 

I was thinking about what you said, how close Valentine's family is.  I think, through thick and thin, they do rally around, and try to figure out what's best for each other, don't they? 

 

I  only have one brother, and I think about his kids of 5, and lots of grandkids and cousins, and how they all come together, always.  I miss some of that  large family stuff, with my dad's family of four brothers.  I had a taste of it growing up.  I have two daughters, and two grandkids, but it seems we're always going in different directions.  I do love it when we can all get together, but it's nice to know they'd be there in a heartbeat if I needed anything.

 

Are there large families in this discussion group, I mean besides Stephanie's bazillion siblings? :smileyvery-happy:  I wonder what the dynamics are in them.  If they're different in an Italian family.

 

Kathy


 

Kathy, I love June also. Probably because that's when my birthday is!:smileyhappy:

 

I have two sisters and a brother just like Valentine, except in our case us girls are older than our brother. The four of us have always been really close. And my poor brother has always been treated like he was one of us girls. We even had him attend our girls-only bridal showers! I'm not sure how much he actually wanted to attend (especially since he was the only guy!), but when he heard we wanted him there, he came. He's a really good sport and humors us in our crazy ideas. In our family we have always been there for each other no matter what is going on in our lives. I think that's why I can relate to how close Valentine is with her family. It seems like if a member of the family needs her, she's there. 


April,

You're a good sport to tell me about your family interactions.  I think it's wonderful that your brother attended your bridal showers!  What fun! I'm sure it made him feel special, albeit a bit embarrassed! Ha!

 

It was nice to identify with this kind of a family, even if I wasn't all that fond of Alfred. 

 

I was reading back to Tess's kids, Charisma and Chiara...what names!  They were taking black olives and placing them over their eyes!  As a kid, I used to stick them on the ends of my fingers!  I can't even get my grandkis to look at them. Hey, if you can't play with food, what's the good of it? :smileyvery-happy:

 

Tess's husband is stuck at the Rude table...what names Adriana gives these tables!  Hilarious!  I guess it's one way to segregate the character's in this seating arrangement, in this novel!  I wonder which ones will pop back into the sequals? 

 

Kathy 

 

Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Chpt. 1 - Valentine: The Wedding

This chapter sets up Valentine well. Not just her description, but that she is different than her sisters, that marraige is not necessarily her goal. It shows how close her family is, except for Albert, who I never grow fond of. But it also shows that she thinks she isn't taken seriously, she is funnyone

KathyS wrote:

I didn't take notes on this book..I sucked it up too fast!  I skimmed over the first chapter last night, and realized that in this chapter, Valentine's character is physically described to it fullest.  Interesting how this author  made these description visible to us. 

 

First page:

Again, the first sentences of this book, she tells us: I'm not the pretty sister.  I'm not the smart sister.  I'm the "funny one" - we're in store for some humor from this character in this story.  And that sentence tells you she has two sisters, and gives me a pinch of what these two sisters are like.  She brings her borther into the chapter a little later.  I instantly did not like him.

 

Valentine's mother[Mike] talks about their noses, since they had their makup done by a professional makup artist for the wedding, to take the eye away from Valentine's nose, as the makeup was applied.  Her mom had cosmetic work done to hers, and says to Valentine, as Valentine voices whether she should have a nose job, too..."I wouldn't touch it.  Plus a tall person can carry a nose.  So be grateful that you got all the tall in the family". Giving you the impression she has a large nose, and is tall. (5-8)

 

Mike says, "You're a total original.  Your big, beautiful brown eyes are set just far enough apart.  Your lips, thank God, take after my side of the family.  The Roncalli lips are so thin they need Velcro to chew"........you get the sense that her lips are full.

 

Further conversations reveal feelings about her life, her work, and her relationship to her grandmother, with whom she lives.  She tells her mom, "I love my job and I love where I live."  You get the feeling, from all of these people, that they can't understand why she wants to keep living with her grandmother, and why she wants to be a shoemaker (cobbler).   You can't help but put that sentence into your mind, and ask the same questions, and look for the answers.  As you read through this story, it all unfolds. 

 

Did anyone else get a detail sense of this character, or any other characters from this chapter?

 

Kathy 

 


 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

No more weddings Kathy because there is no one left to be married. My cousin and I are anti-marriage. When my niece and nephews are old enough to be married, their weddings won't be very Italian as my sisters-in-law aren't Italian. My nephews carry on our Italian last name but they have very little Italian blood. And it will be diluted more if they marry non-Italians. It never bothered me before, but it has recently. But it doesn't bother me enough to go get married, much less to some Italian man!

KathyS wrote:

Deb,

 

Related to some of these people, huh? Ha!  To anyone in particular, in this story?  You say, luckily it's been years since you've been to one of these weddings..now why would you say that?   :smileyhappy:

 

It's funny, while reading this book, I was thinking of the movie, Moonstruck!  I loved that movie!  The family was so dynamic. So full of energy and passion!  And is that what it's really like when a bunch of Italians sit down to eat together?  No resemblance to my family, growing up.  We seem almost "too" civil! :smileyvery-happy:

 

Kathy


debbook wrote:
It sounded very familiar, all too familiar. Luckily it's been years since I've been to an Italian wedding. I may have been related to some of those people in the book


Stephanie wrote:

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 


Message Edited by KathyS on 04-01-2009 04:19 PM

 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

I'm always at the Friends Table. which is why I try not to go to weddings unless there is open-bar!!

aprilh wrote:

I loved this first chapter! It introduces us to a wild assortment of characters that I will not soon forget. You can really tell how close Valentine's family is.

I liked how every table at the wedding had a nick-name. The Friends Table. The Dementia Table. The Rude Table. I couldn't stop laughing because it's so true! The next wedding I go to I'll have to see where I'm seated!:smileywink: And poor Valentine stuck at the friends' table. Everyone questioning her about how long ago she's been "dumped" and trying to set her up. How embarassing!


 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding


KathyS wrote:

aprilh wrote:

I loved this first chapter! It introduces us to a wild assortment of characters that I will not soon forget. You can really tell how close Valentine's family is.

I liked how every table at the wedding had a nick-name. The Friends Table. The Dementia Table. The Rude Table. I couldn't stop laughing because it's so true! The next wedding I go to I'll have to see where I'm seated!:smileywink: And poor Valentine stuck at the friends' table. Everyone questioning her about how long ago she's been "dumped" and trying to set her up. How embarassing!


 

April, 

 

Today is April 1!  I love that name, and the name June.  Always reminds me of springtime!  Sorry, I digressed there for a moment. :0

 

I was thinking about what you said, how close Valentine's family is.  I think, through thick and thin, they do rally around, and try to figure out what's best for each other, don't they? 

 

I  only have one brother, and I think about his kids of 5, and lots of grandkids and cousins, and how they all come together, always.  I miss some of that  large family stuff, with my dad's family of four brothers.  I had a taste of it growing up.  I have two daughters, and two grandkids, but it seems we're always going in different directions.  I do love it when we can all get together, but it's nice to know they'd be there in a heartbeat if I needed anything.

 

Are there large families in this discussion group, I mean besides Stephanie's bazillion siblings? :smileyvery-happy:  I wonder what the dynamics are in them.  If they're different in an Italian family.

 

Kathy


 

It's interesting that you ask this Kathy. When I was younger, we used to have lots of gatherings with the extended family. Now it is only my immediate family, grandma, aunt and cousin. We never see the rest of the family except at funerals. And I don't know who anyone is, my one brother and I always ask my parents or our eldest brother.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

Ha!  Dear Anti-marriage, Deb.

 

There is not one drop of Italian blood in our family, but there is one guy in this book that I wouldn't mind sitting next to..... having a glass of Chianti, in a small out-of-the way cafe, nestled in the hillside of Italy!


debbook wrote:
No more weddings Kathy because there is no one left to be married. My cousin and I are anti-marriage. When my niece and nephews are old enough to be married, their weddings won't be very Italian as my sisters-in-law aren't Italian. My nephews carry on our Italian last name but they have very little Italian blood. And it will be diluted more if they marry non-Italians. It never bothered me before, but it has recently. But it doesn't bother me enough to go get married, much less to some Italian man!


KathyS wrote:

Deb,

 

Related to some of these people, huh? Ha!  To anyone in particular, in this story?  You say, luckily it's been years since you've been to one of these weddings..now why would you say that?   :smileyhappy:

 

It's funny, while reading this book, I was thinking of the movie, Moonstruck!  I loved that movie!  The family was so dynamic. So full of energy and passion!  And is that what it's really like when a bunch of Italians sit down to eat together?  No resemblance to my family, growing up.  We seem almost "too" civil! :smileyvery-happy:

 

Kathy


debbook wrote:
It sounded very familiar, all too familiar. Luckily it's been years since I've been to an Italian wedding. I may have been related to some of those people in the book


Stephanie wrote:

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 


 

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
Posts: 2,613
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

Funny - I have the same family experiences - there is so much extended family in the five boroughs that I hardly know who anyone is anymore.

 

What scares me about the way we live  - so spread out now -  is that my kids could end up marrying a relative!  Ack!

 

 

Stephanie
Scribe
debbook
Posts: 1,823
Registered: ‎05-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

Okay, but you can't marry him, you will dilute the Italian blood.

 


KathyS wrote:

Ha!  Dear Anti-marriage, Deb.

 

There is not one drop of Italian blood in our family, but there is one guy in this book that I wouldn't mind sitting next to..... having a glass of Chianti, in a small out-of-the way cafe, nestled in the hillside of Italy!


debbook wrote:
No more weddings Kathy because there is no one left to be married. My cousin and I are anti-marriage. When my niece and nephews are old enough to be married, their weddings won't be very Italian as my sisters-in-law aren't Italian. My nephews carry on our Italian last name but they have very little Italian blood. And it will be diluted more if they marry non-Italians. It never bothered me before, but it has recently. But it doesn't bother me enough to go get married, much less to some Italian man!


KathyS wrote:

Deb,

 

Related to some of these people, huh? Ha!  To anyone in particular, in this story?  You say, luckily it's been years since you've been to one of these weddings..now why would you say that?   :smileyhappy:

 

It's funny, while reading this book, I was thinking of the movie, Moonstruck!  I loved that movie!  The family was so dynamic. So full of energy and passion!  And is that what it's really like when a bunch of Italians sit down to eat together?  No resemblance to my family, growing up.  We seem almost "too" civil! :smileyvery-happy:

 

Kathy


debbook wrote:
It sounded very familiar, all too familiar. Luckily it's been years since I've been to an Italian wedding. I may have been related to some of those people in the book


Stephanie wrote:

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 


 


 

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
Posts: 6,898
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

Hey, no worries...I aint marrying again!  And, I'm waaaaaaaaaaay beyond reproducing anything except wine from a grape!  Or art from clay....or fantasy realms of words from dullsville!  This guy is pure Italian wine!  I'll take him straight from the bottle!
debbook wrote:

Okay, but you can't marry him, you will dilute the Italian blood.

 


KathyS wrote:

Ha!  Dear Anti-marriage, Deb.

 

There is not one drop of Italian blood in our family, but there is one guy in this book that I wouldn't mind sitting next to..... having a glass of Chianti, in a small out-of-the way cafe, nestled in the hillside of Italy!


debbook wrote:
No more weddings Kathy because there is no one left to be married. My cousin and I are anti-marriage. When my niece and nephews are old enough to be married, their weddings won't be very Italian as my sisters-in-law aren't Italian. My nephews carry on our Italian last name but they have very little Italian blood. And it will be diluted more if they marry non-Italians. It never bothered me before, but it has recently. But it doesn't bother me enough to go get married, much less to some Italian man!


KathyS wrote:

Deb,

 

Related to some of these people, huh? Ha!  To anyone in particular, in this story?  You say, luckily it's been years since you've been to one of these weddings..now why would you say that?   :smileyhappy:

 

It's funny, while reading this book, I was thinking of the movie, Moonstruck!  I loved that movie!  The family was so dynamic. So full of energy and passion!  And is that what it's really like when a bunch of Italians sit down to eat together?  No resemblance to my family, growing up.  We seem almost "too" civil! :smileyvery-happy:

 

Kathy


debbook wrote:
It sounded very familiar, all too familiar. Luckily it's been years since I've been to an Italian wedding. I may have been related to some of those people in the book


Stephanie wrote:

What a great 1st chapter!  I don't want to ask a lot of leading questions here, so I'll just say, what did you think of this wild cast of characters!?  I loved the descriptions, I haven't been to an Italian wedding on Long Island in a place like that in ages - it was cracking me up.  ALL of it was true! 

 


 

Author
AdrianaTrigiani
Posts: 145
Registered: ‎11-13-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Very Valentine: The Wedding

Dear Readers,

 

Thank you for these comments on the content and character of the first chapter- the truth is- I could write a few books that take place at weddings- because they are loaded with so much drama and hilarity, the stories never end!  In Very Valentine, I wanted to introduce Valentine's world- and her family in most exciting way - and in family life- was is better than a wedding?

 Also, there is nothing like a wedding to help us access where we are in life: it's usually a day brimming with hope for the happy couple- and it's a mirror whether we are attached or single, that reflects where we are in terms of our own romantic destinies.

 

Yes, there is a Leonard's of Great Neck- and you must go- it's so much fun- xoxo Adriana