Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

Very sad to say goodbye

Hello Everyone,

I suppose by now most of you have read the announcement that some of the moderators will no longer be with B&N come June.  I'm one of those, and I wanted to tell you all how much it has meant to me to read with you for these past eight years.  I can't believe that much time has passed, but there it is.  I was with BNU, back when we were doing classes instead of book clubs.  Some of you will even remember our very first book club, in Nov of 2003 I believe, when we read Julia Glass' Three Junes - and some of you will even remember the Christmas Classics class, Moby Dick, and Walt Whitman.  We have had some wonderful times, and I will surely miss each and every one of you.  I hope you continue to read deeply, and if you want you'll find me talking about books every so often on my blog - Steph Reads. 

http://steph-reads.blogspot.com

Happy Reading -

Stephanie
Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Very sad to say goodbye

Stephanie wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I suppose by now most of you have read the announcement that some of the moderators will no longer be with B&N come June.  I'm one of those, and I wanted to tell you all how much it has meant to me to read with you for these past eight years.  I can't believe that much time has passed, but there it is.  I was with BNU, back when we were doing classes instead of book clubs.  Some of you will even remember our very first book club, in Nov of 2003 I believe, when we read Julia Glass' Three Junes - and some of you will even remember the Christmas Classics class, Moby Dick, and Walt Whitman.  We have had some wonderful times, and I will surely miss each and every one of you.  I hope you continue to read deeply, and if you want you'll find me talking about books every so often on my blog - Steph Reads. 

http://steph-reads.blogspot.com

Happy Reading -

Oh, Stephanie!  What's happening!  And you don't have to answer that!

So sorry to hear that you will no longer be moderating this board. 

The best to you in whatever is next for you. 

(Dare we hope to see you around as a contributor?)

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

You may see me contributing.  My first love is classic lit, so you may find me there.  I'm not sure what's in store. 

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

Steph, my friend, you're the reason I've been hanging around for so many years.  You introduced me to reading so deeply.  You pulled me through..... You were my teacher!  I'm immensely grateful, you'll never know.  It's hard to type through tears.

All the best,

xo

Kath

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Kath -it's been a long time and a lot of books and authors, hasn't it?  I just have to laugh about your interactions with Dot Frank - you were so worried about offending!  I'm pretty sure you can't offend Dot with a baseball bat!

I have always appreciated your loyalty to these forums, and your passion for reading, music, art and all things creative.  You bring an intensity to everything you do that spills over and excites those around you.  I hope you visit my blog, because I'll miss your comments.

Stephanie
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

:smileysad:

We "met" in the Three Junes group!  Wow!  It has been a long time!  I'll miss you and I wish you all the best.  I hope you'll become a participant on the boards if you won't be a moderator.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
KathyS
0 Kudos

Stephanie wrote:

Kath -it's been a long time and a lot of books and authors, hasn't it?  I just have to laugh about your interactions with Dot Frank - you were so worried about offending!  I'm pretty sure you can't offend Dot with a baseball bat!

I have always appreciated your loyalty to these forums, and your passion for reading, music, art and all things creative.  You bring an intensity to everything you do that spills over and excites those around you.  I hope you visit my blog, because I'll miss your comments.

Well, I've sort of recovered....I'm at the college, using their computer in the office, and my friend came in and saw me crying...yeah, isn't that the pits!

I keep running that saying across my mind.....all good things come to an end....and what about Dot, and Elinor, and Lisa?....who I was so bummed about not seeing this last time....that discussion..... 

You won't keep me away from your blog, Steph....staying in touch is what I do.  Right now I want to leave the boards....we'll see, over time....

I wouldn't try a baseball bat on Dot,  I'm sure she hits  back!....actually, I know she does!  Remember her character, Huey?  My first experience at these discussions with Dot, and it was trial and error on my part....I was so anxious, and excited to talk to her...I stayed up until midnight to be the first to get on the board.....then I tripped up, fell over my feet, right into her lap! - spilling coke and peanuts all over her!....., in the end, it was so much fun!  I'll never forget that one, we were both giving hugs and kisses for our faux pas, and laughing our heads off.......lots of good times we had,  with  lots of good people......good friends are forgiving, too...thanks!  :smileyhappy:

Kath

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Laura,

I remember - I have such clear memories of that group - I suppose because the whole experience was so exciting.  Julia and I were emailing daily, trying to figure it all out.  It ran up to Thanksgiving, and of course, people got busy with family, so we slowed down a bit, but we ended with over 900 posts in that group.  Not too shabby.

I'll miss you too - it's been a great time, and I have learned a lot from reading with you.

Stephanie
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Stephanie,

I haven't been involved on a regular basis with your club, I have picked and chosen the books I want to read with you and the group and have enjoyed immensely the camaraderie that you and everyone have always shown me here. You will be sorely missed. I would he honored to visit your blog and stay in touch.

Good bye is harsh so I'll just say Adieu. 

Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

Hi Stephanie,

I've always enjoyed your kind and gentle presence whenever I joined Fiction's general Discussion.

Thank you for your insights and moderating skills.  My best wishes to you.

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
KathyS
0 Kudos

My tribute to Stephanie

I know this will probably embarrass you, Stephanie, but that's tuff!  :smileyvery-happy:  I won't speak for the masses of readers that have been on your boards over the years, but I can speak for myself. 

It just seems like yesterday, that I took part in one of your discussions, on the old B&NU format.  I loved those times, as we got to know the readers, as we all became friends, together.  There is nothing more special than those stories that lead all of us into each other's lives.  And, that's what you've done for us. 

I've loved it all, the good times, and bad times, we struggled at times, but always came out with good feelings.  We talked to a lot of author's, gotten to know them personally, and shared our points of view without holding onto bad feelings.  At times, I've felt like the resident annalist, but that's who I am.  I've given more advice than Cater has pills, and I've received my own share in the process.  It's been a rewarding experience.

You've lead me to places that I never thought possible.  You've helped me out of jams with my nemesis.....that I never thought I would find myself in.  You've ignored my outbursts, because you know I'll work through it in my own time.  You may have taken my crayons away from me, and sent me to my room to think, but when you opened my door, you always had a smile on your face, greeting me with an angelfood cake, and greeted me as if I was worth something special.  You've always been my 'mom', and my 'teacher', and my 'friend'.  You're a special lady, and I hope B&N knows what they are letting go of.

I give tribute to  you, Stephanie, who has always been aware of what good discussions are about.  I'll deeply miss you, as you leave the B&NBC community.  Books are your passion, but I know you, and I know you're off to something great and wonderful, which will always have to do with the love of people; the love of education, and it goes without saying, the love of books!  :smileyhappy:

And I Love you much!

Kathy

Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie

Debbie, IBIS, Kathy - I hope you'll all visit the blog, and I'll try to be as interesting as possible.

You know, I'm part of a standing book group that meets at the local B&N, and we're reading Colm Toibin's Brooklyn, so I'll probably be talking about that one next. 

I just can't imagine not talking about books online.  :smileyhappy:

http://steph-reads.blogspot.com   (don't forget the dash!)

Stephanie
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

You can't get rid of me, Steph...even if you wanted to!...I've already plastered your back blogs with insignificant seriousness & silliness.....two things I'm most capable of doing to someone!  Beware!  I give wrinkles, too!  :smileyvery-happy: :smileysurprised: :smileytongue:

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Dear Stephanie..I want to Wish you Happiness and Success in your Life..I have been reading your Blog..and have gotten to know a bit more about you..Best   Susan Vtc....

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer