dhaupt
0 Kudos

Week 1 discussion of The Chimney Still Stands by Tammy Snyder

This is a short novel and we’ll be reading it in only two parts but we will be discussing it the entire month so please if you have something to add after the second week please don’t hesitate to voice it as we’ll be featuring it for the entire month.

Week One Questions for The Chimney Still Stands

1. The author starts the novel by giving her readers a grim glimpse of the inevitable death of her protagonist.
Do you like novels that begin like this

Why

Why not

2. The meat of this novel takes place in the near past

Does the author do a good job of making you believe this

3. The plot is one that would definitely incite passion on both side of the fence

Did you feel the passion

4. Let’s talk about the characters

Who stands out to you besides the two stars – why

Talk about your feelings for Tandon

Talk about your feelings for JulieAnn

5. The events brought about after the party are a turning point in the novel

Did either Tandon’s or JulieAnn’s actions surprise you

Why – why not

6. Tandon’s revelation during the church service made him want to try one more time to make amends with his father.

Did the outcome of this visit surprise you

Who was right

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D

Re: Week 1 discussion of The Chimney Still Stands by Tammy Snyder

I want to start by saying that what caught my attention the most in this first part of our reading is the way Tammy described JulieAnn's feelings. I was able to relate to them maybe not to that intensity but her excitement, her willingness at first to forget the past and give a chance to the future and also the way she descibes her emotional state when she is alone with Tandon and also at the end when she makes the decision to not continue their relationship and she is descibed at home by herself, trying to collect the broken pieces of her heart...It all seemed very real, very believable! Now I turn to the questions:

1. The author starts the novel by giving her readers a grim glimpse of the inevitable death of her protagonist.
Do you like novels that begin like this

Why

Why not

I don't mind it..Let's put it this way..It does bring a little sad note to the story because no matter what happens and what we read about we already know a little bit about the ending. And considering he is only 60 something and dying and doesn't seem too happy either it makes me think that things between him and JulieAnn did not work out..But who knows? I migh be wrong...

Yes, I think she does. I mean I do have to say that because he is not that old in the present I sometimes had to remind myself that he was younger when the whole story happened but for the most part I had no difficulty following it. I think we are mostly used to people in their 80s or 90s telling us their stories and not in their 60s and basically on their death bed :smileysad:.

3. The plot is one that would definitely incite passion on both side of the fence

Did you feel the passion

Yes, I definitely felt the passion. This is a story of two people who have never stopped loving each other in spite of  following different paths in their lives. The one that I feel suppressed her feelings the most is JulieAnn and as I mentioned before, her showing of emotions and interior struggle seems very real to me, very close to reality. I can't say I've been in the same situation as she is but the closest I've come to it is having a long distance relationship with the man who is now my husband and which lasted for a little over 3 years. And when I say long distance I mean 12 hours away flying. I remember clearly how I felt every time he left and I didn't know whether it was going to be 6 months or 1 year before I would see him again. Nothing ever seemed the same without him and I had to start all over again every time he left. So I could in a way understand JulieAnn's excitement for having Tandon around for a week. A week may seem a very long time when you're forced to live without the person you love. And I could also feel how intense her feelings were when she had to watch him walk away the second time. She is not only torn between her feelings for him and the situation he put her in when they were teenagers, but now she also has the family involved and this complicates things 1000 times more. It's definitely not a situation anybody wants to be in!

Who stands out to you besides the two stars – why

Both Jess and Tandon's father stand out for me. Jess is the protective big brother who knows the story about Tandon and the fact that he left his sister is the only thing that Jess can comprehend. He is not going to understand the feelings that JulieAnn still has for Tandon and the whole land issue will not help him accept the man back in their lives. I admire his commitment to his family and his protective attitude towards his sister and I can understand the frustration with the cause Tandon is supporting. It is not something that families with a lot to lose will accept easily. How can they?I can't say I would accept it that easily myself...

Tandon's father on the other hand stands out for other reasons. I can not totally blame him for the relationship that he has with his son but I think he is pushing it a little bit to the extreme. I know for some people it is very important that their children follow in their path and that they turn 180 degrees if they don't and I think that is the case with Tandon's father. He was probably hurt by the fact that his son left him and his dying mother to follow his dreams. I personally also think that he could've waited  a while if his mom really had no chance of recovery. But I support the fact that Tandon had his own dreams and followed them. But at the same time his father doesn't seem to be an easy person to deal with, not a loving figure anyway.

About Tandon..I honestly can't say I either like him a lot or dislike him. He is one of the main characters but he seems very undecided to me. He left his dying mother and his girlfriend to follow his dreams but he doesn't seem 100% sure that this is what he wanted in the end. He said that he had to leave when he did it because otherwise he would've never gotten out of there but he seems to have done it rather easily. Not just that but he never came back to visit his mom before she died (I am not sure though how much time passed after he left before his mother passed away). I sympatize with him for the situation that he is in. It can't be easy to be in such a serious conflict of interests as the one he finds himself in. I think his feelings for JulieAnn are genuine and I do think he is hurting for having to leave her the second time. I wonder if he realizes that her decision is based on the pressure she gets from her family...

I really like JulieAnn..She is a strong woman with a great character and personality. I was suprised to find out that she took care of Tandon's father for all those years but I think she would've done it regardless. I think she is happy with the simple life that she has, professionally speaking..but her love life is reduced to her memories of Tandon and she has decided to stay true to herself and to her feelings even if this means she has to be alone. It's heartbreaking to see how much she still loves a man whom she hasn't seen for years..She absolutely deserves better than the suffering she has to deal with.

5. The events brought about after the party are a turning point in the novel

Did either Tandon’s or JulieAnn’s actions surprise you

Why – why not

I wonder what would've happened if she didn't hear her brother argue with Tandon. She would've probably confessed her love for him and accept his and take it from there. But the moment she hears her family talk about what the land means to them and how they feel about having the river nationalized and the land taken away from them, she realizes that no matter what decision she makes she will end up in pain. She also realizes that it would be selfish on her part to ask Tandon to leave his job and stay with her (too bad she doesn't know about the offer he had received that morning from his boss). So she acts the way she thinks it's best. I think given the situation and the fact that she was a witness to their conversation doesn't make her decision a surprise for me. It's painful for both of them and it takes a lot of strength on her part to deny her love that has been burning her for more than 15 years. This shows how much she also loves her family and that she doesn't make selfish decisions but has their interest in mind as well.

6. Tandon’s revelation during the church service made him want to try one more time to make amends with his father.

Did the outcome of this visit surprise you

Who was right

I don't think there is a right or wrong here. I think his father is a stubborn man and on the other hand, Tandon is loyal to what he thinks he believes in. I did not think that the second visit would turn out better than the first one and I guess I was right. It takes more than than to reestablish a relationship that has been broken for so long. They both have accumulated negative feelings towards each other during this time and it will take some time before they can make amends. They have to come to peace with the decisions that each of them has made and accept the other's decisions if they want anything positive to happen in their relationship. But considering Tandon's assignment and the present situation, this is not the right time I think. Can't wait to see what happens further! :smileyhappy:

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
A_G_D
0 Kudos

I just realized how much I tend to write..:smileyhappy: Sorry for not being more concise it's just so hard to stop once I start writing..

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

dhaupt wrote:

If one is acquainted at all with the history (this is a regional historical novel) of the Buffalo River area, you would instantly be aware of the time frame the story is involved with.  The author does not provide many outside indicators of the times, but the Chapter references keep you cued to the time frames as the story  moves along.

Did you feel the passion

Having spent 80% of my life living near back country and wilderness areas of our country, as well as a frequent visitor to these same places, I am well aware of the passions of the ranchers (my family), the government, conservationists, and the environmentalists who all have emotional claim to the land and anything to do with the governing of it.  Yes, I KNOW and feel the passions of this book, as I have lived the passions the story told.  The author actually represented the passions very mildly and politely  compared to many I have witnessed over the years.

Who stands out to you besides the two stars – 

Tandon's dad.  He was a character that had many layers, many of which were under developed.  BUT then again, this was a short story.  He was a hard bitter man, long before his son left home (so it seemed).  Or was it he was hardened by a hard life of mountain farming? 

I live deep in the mountains and watch the youth as they grow and realize that there is NOTHING for them in the mountains they love.  They know that they have to leave to ever have a life and to escape the poverty of the generations of their family.  Many are torn, but they leave in droves....only to return late in life and find that all they loved is gone.

Her love for Tandon is true and silent.... but much like the mountain streams that flow through the area, it flows deep.  Isn't it interesting how that seed of first love never quite goes away?  And if harbored stays there and thrives, waiting to be nourished and brought to light.  

Did the outcome of this visit surprise you  No.  The revelation in the serivce was to Tandon, not his father.  His father's bitterness remained and he had built a thorny hedge around himself against any intrusion by Tandon for many years.  Like he said....his son was dead to him.

Who was right.  I think Tandon was right to make that one last effort to right things with his father.  One can ask forgiveness, but cannot demand it.  Forgiveness is a gift and must be freely given to have any worth.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Mt_Muse, you are so right about the passions of the people living there and having to defend their land and their life's work. I am surprised I haven't looked at it that way. For some reason I just thought of the passion between JulieAnn and Tandon but now I see the bigger picture.

I also liked what you said about the seed of first love that never really goes away. I find it to be true..No matter where life takes you never really forget your first love..

Andreea
dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

I just realized how much I tend to write..:smileyhappy: Sorry for not being more concise it's just so hard to stop once I start writing..

Don't be silly you write from the heart, and I love it

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Did you feel the passion

Yes, I definitely felt the passion. This is a story of two people who have never stopped loving each other in spite of  following different paths in their lives. The one that I feel suppressed her feelings the most is JulieAnn and as I mentioned before, her showing of emotions and interior struggle seems very real to me, very close to reality. I can't say I've been in the same situation as she is but the closest I've come to it is having a long distance relationship with the man who is now my husband and which lasted for a little over 3 years. And when I say long distance I mean 12 hours away flying. I remember clearly how I felt every time he left and I didn't know whether it was going to be 6 months or 1 year before I would see him again. Nothing ever seemed the same without him and I had to start all over again every time he left. So I could in a way understand JulieAnn's excitement for having Tandon around for a week. A week may seem a very long time when you're forced to live without the person you love. And I could also feel how intense her feelings were when she had to watch him walk away the second time. She is not only torn between her feelings for him and the situation he put her in when they were teenagers, but now she also has the family involved and this complicates things 1000 times more. It's definitely not a situation anybody wants to be in!

Andreea, you mentioned here that JulieAnn supressed her feelings, just to make sure I understand do you mean now or in the past.

Thanks for sharing some personal experiences Andreea, I think you have first hand knowlege of what our service men's wives must feel, especially those that deploy more than once.

I'm so glad that you're particular relationship worked out.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

If one is acquainted at all with the history (this is a regional historical novel) of the Buffalo River area, you would instantly be aware of the time frame the story is involved with.  The author does not provide many outside indicators of the times, but the Chapter references keep you cued to the time frames as the story  moves along.

Did you feel the passion

Having spent 80% of my life living near back country and wilderness areas of our country, as well as a frequent visitor to these same places, I am well aware of the passions of the ranchers (my family), the government, conservationists, and the environmentalists who all have emotional claim to the land and anything to do with the governing of it.  Yes, I KNOW and feel the passions of this book, as I have lived the passions the story told.  The author actually represented the passions very mildly and politely  compared to many I have witnessed over the years.

Who stands out to you besides the two stars – 

Tandon's dad.  He was a character that had many layers, many of which were under developed.  BUT then again, this was a short story.  He was a hard bitter man, long before his son left home (so it seemed).  Or was it he was hardened by a hard life of mountain farming? 

I live deep in the mountains and watch the youth as they grow and realize that there is NOTHING for them in the mountains they love.  They know that they have to leave to ever have a life and to escape the poverty of the generations of their family.  Many are torn, but they leave in droves....only to return late in life and find that all they loved is gone.

Her love for Tandon is true and silent.... but much like the mountain streams that flow through the area, it flows deep.  Isn't it interesting how that seed of first love never quite goes away?  And if harbored stays there and thrives, waiting to be nourished and brought to light.  

Did the outcome of this visit surprise you  No.  The revelation in the serivce was to Tandon, not his father.  His father's bitterness remained and he had built a thorny hedge around himself against any intrusion by Tandon for many years.  Like he said....his son was dead to him.

Who was right.  I think Tandon was right to make that one last effort to right things with his father.  One can ask forgiveness, but cannot demand it.  Forgiveness is a gift and must be freely given to have any worth.

I can say only one thing to you my friend, you're avatar is Right On

and I can feel the passion in your answers too.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Did you feel the passion

I can say only one thing to you my friend, you're avatar is Right On

and I can feel the passion in your answers too.

Mtn Muse:

What is not clearly stated in the book, nor are most people truly aware of in these "land conversions" is that the people of the land are the ones caught "between".  These are the people who have lived on the land and worked it, sometimes for many generations.  

Many times they are not the "cause" that has brought about the negative destruction of the back country and wilderness areas.  It is the dam built upstream that creates flooding, or over use of surrounding national forest, or abuse of resources by industry through leasing programs....  in the end to protect the last of our beautiful natural resources, the National Park Service will seek to convert National Forest to "Back Country" or "Wilderness" designation which provides higher levels of protection from "civilization's" intrusion.  This also allows the land to heal and to hopefully return to the near natural state.  

Unfortunately, those who live within the boundaries of these up-graded designations must be displaced because even though private citizens may own land within National Forest, that is not so in Back Country and definitely in in Wilderness areas.  Unfortunately, also, big brother doesn't have any give or any programs, to speak of, for those generations that have lived and owned the land within the boundaries....this is the tug-of-war between the environmentalists and the ranchers/farmers that have escalated to great heights in the west, especially concerning Bureau of Land Management land parcels.  

No one group is one hundred percent right in the way they want to manage the land, but the camps are so divided they have not been willing to work together for the good of all over the years.  Within the last few years the park service has revised some of their regulations and some lawsuits by former land owners have brought about some changes, but there is a long way to go.  

Hopefully this will explain a little of the underlying tension that was going on in the story.  Tenden had truly jumped ship and joined the "enemy" in the eyes and hearts of the people of his community.  I feel the Park Service was totally manipulative and wrong to have put him in such an untenable position and send him back to try to manipulate the people of the Harrison, AR area.  Both Tenden and the local people saw right through the ploy and it shut down any potential for dialogue from the start because the community saw the manipulation for what it was and closed their ears and hearts to anything that the Park Service had to say.

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
A_G_D

Andreea, you mentioned here that JulieAnn supressed her feelings, just to make sure I understand do you mean now or in the past.

Thanks for sharing some personal experiences Andreea, I think you have first hand knowlege of what our service men's wives must feel, especially those that deploy more than once.

I'm so glad that you're particular relationship worked out.

Well Debbie I think both..I guess in the past she had no choice but to do that. She could've probably gone looking for him but I don't think that would've made her feel any better. After all he left her without a word. She wasn't just going to beg for his love. I am not saying she was successful in forgetting him because clearly she has not but she has tried to live a normal life and go on with her life. As for the present, I think now is when she really tries to suppress the feelings she has for Tandon. He is there right next to her and she could just reach for him and tell him how she feels but instead she holds on to the last bit of strength that's left in her and tells him she's not in love anymore.

As for my memoirs lol :smileyhappy: I was hoping that I didn't bore everyone with my long posts..I was actually talking to my husband the other day about me not being able to just stick to the point. If I was ever a writer I would have such a hard time deciding what I should keep and what I should delete. I would just keep writing..lol But thanks for the support!

Andreea
Author
novelimagination

[ Edited ]

WOW! I just got home from work to check and respond and I'm so thrilled for all the participation! Now I must try and decide where to begin! haha So many terrific comments here. Ok. in order of posts...

Andreea,

First, thanks so much for joining in on the read. I really appreciate your interest.

Now, I loved all your great comments but some things that really stood out to me were first, how you could relate to having your love be far away from you. I've never had to actually experience that but know some who have and it's not very fun to watch. But, I'm glad you didn't have to choose between your family and the love of your life before you married him. (I'm assuming.)  :smileywink:

Also,  you pegged Jess and Tandon's father perfectly...the unrelenting protective brother and a hurt, bitter and lonely father.  And Tandon is very undecided, you're right. He seems to be one that has an idea of what he wants but finds it difficult attaining it. Life is not something that has ever gone smoothly for him. Poor thing. :smileysad:

I really like your description of JulieAnn: "I think she is happy with the simple life that she has..." Exactly right. My kind of girl.

All your descriptions of these characters are very insightful! Very thorough...and I say that as a compliment! lol :smileyhappy:

"I wonder what would've happened if she didn't hear her brother argue with Tandon." Good question. Hmmm. I never even considered that! Needed the conflict though and what she hears will show just what kind of stuff she's made of. I wonder if I was in that situation what I would do. Family...or love of my life. It seems like a no brainer but, then again.

"It takes more than than to reestablish a relationship that has been broken for so long. " You're absolutely right! The chance that anything would have changed between them is slim at best. He had to try though. Can you imagine, though, how difficult that would actually be? He's got grit, I'll give him that.

Andreea, think nothing of your writing. I love it! You personalized the characters and talked about them like we were hanging out and catching up on some local "gossip". I enjoyed your comments and look forward to more of them!!

The Chimney Still Stands on "eStands" everywhere! :smileyhappy:

AND...I am now available for Virtual Author Visits via Skype!
Author
novelimagination

[ Edited ]

Hello Mtn Muse,

Thank you so much for joining in the read and I appreciate you taking the time to comment!

I have to say, your responses feel very emotional. You know what this is all about. When I did my research for this book, I spoke to various people and got very mixed emotions. Much like the ones in the courtroom meeting. Some of those comments were actually comments (with slight variation so I wasn't exactly quoting) people made. Also, the comments made during the party were from them too. If I just walked up to someone right this moment and mentioned it, the emotion that would come across their face would in, the next second, be reflected in their tone as they would begin a heated discussion about it. Someone told me that the last family to have given up their home was somewhere in the late 1980's so it's still very raw. Also, as I am not originally from this area, I feel I was able to keep it more even toned. My goal was to get both viewpoints heard and let the reader decide their own thoughts of the situation...for or against (in regards to the nationalizing of land where people must lose their homes.) You'd be surprised how many folks are all for it. I would have, at one time, assumed otherwise.

Now, your comments.:smileyvery-happy:

#3- You're right, I was mild and polite. Didn't want to go with the heavy insults.:smileywink:

#4 (Tandon)- It's very sad that the very thing that attracts us (the quietness and beauty of the country) is the very thing that drives us away. Too sad.

(JulieAnn)- Her love flows deep...I like that! She's definitely a woman who feels with her whole being. It also makes the happy times all the sweeter and the difficult times that much more difficult.

I remember my first love. Funny but I can't remember the names of half the boys I went on dates with but I know my first crush. :smileysurprised:

#6- "The revelation in the serivce was to Tandon, not his father. " Nice revelation of your own there! Good point Mtn Muse.

Thanks so much for your comments and insights. I look forward to hearing more.

Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mtn Muse:

What is not clearly stated in the book, nor are most people truly aware of in these "land conversions" is that the people of the land are the ones caught "between".  These are the people who have lived on the land and worked it, sometimes for many generations.  

Many times they are not the "cause" that has brought about the negative destruction of the back country and wilderness areas.  It is the dam built upstream that creates flooding, or over use of surrounding national forest, or abuse of resources by industry through leasing programs....  in the end to protect the last of our beautiful natural resources, the National Park Service will seek to convert National Forest to "Back Country" or "Wilderness" designation which provides higher levels of protection from "civilization's" intrusion.  This also allows the land to heal and to hopefully return to the near natural state.  

Unfortunately, those who live within the boundaries of these up-graded designations must be displaced because even though private citizens may own land within National Forest, that is not so in Back Country and definitely in in Wilderness areas.  Unfortunately, also, big brother doesn't have any give or any programs, to speak of, for those generations that have lived and owned the land within the boundaries....this is the tug-of-war between the environmentalists and the ranchers/farmers that have escalated to great heights in the west, especially concerning Bureau of Land Management land parcels.  

No one group is one hundred percent right in the way they want to manage the land, but the camps are so divided they have not been willing to work together for the good of all over the years.  Within the last few years the park service has revised some of their regulations and some lawsuits by former land owners have brought about some changes, but there is a long way to go.  

Hopefully this will explain a little of the underlying tension that was going on in the story.  Tenden had truly jumped ship and joined the "enemy" in the eyes and hearts of the people of his community.  I feel the Park Service was totally manipulative and wrong to have put him in such an untenable position and send him back to try to manipulate the people of the Harrison, AR area.  Both Tenden and the local people saw right through the ploy and it shut down any potential for dialogue from the start because the community saw the manipulation for what it was and closed their ears and hearts to anything that the Park Service had to say.

Mtn Muse

It's definitely a sticky situation.

You got to the heart of the matter beautifully!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

As for my memoirs lol :smileyhappy: I was hoping that I didn't bore everyone with my long posts..I was actually talking to my husband the other day about me not being able to just stick to the point. If I was ever a writer I would have such a hard time deciding what I should keep and what I should delete. I would just keep writing..lol But thanks for the support!

Andreea, I hope I speak for eveyone here when I say, do not delete, what you say is always valid and even more important spoken from your heart and soul and I always enjoy reading your posts.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Tammy. thanks for setting us straight on some things and your honest opinion of our thoughts and feelings. And thanks for your participation.

Mtn, your passion definitely shows in your posts and if I may assume comes from a much more personal place than the rest of us. Until your latest post I wasn't really thinking about all the issues that you mentioned as I've never had to and hopefully never will have to deal with what these residents did. Thank you, Thank You, Thank You

Andreea, i always love reading your posts and it always amazes me just how much alike we as a species are no matter where we hang our hats or where we come from originally. And I like your long posts, so keep on writing.

A_G_D
0 Kudos

WOW! I just got home from work to check and respond and I'm so thrilled for all the participation! Now I must try and decide where to begin! haha So many terrific comments here. Ok. in order of posts...

Andreea,

First, thanks so much for joining in on the read. I really appreciate your interest.

Now, I loved all your great comments but some things that really stood out to me were first, how you could relate to having your love be far away from you. I've never had to actually experience that but know some who have and it's not very fun to watch. But, I'm glad you didn't have to choose between your family and the love of your life before you married him. (I'm assuming.)  :smileywink:

Also,  you pegged Jess and Tandon's father perfectly...the unrelenting protective brother and a hurt, bitter and lonely father.  And Tandon is very undecided, you're right. He seems to be one that has an idea of what he wants but finds it difficult attaining it. Life is not something that has ever gone smoothly for him. Poor thing. :smileysad:

I really like your description of JulieAnn: "I think she is happy with the simple life that she has..." Exactly right. My kind of girl.

All your descriptions of these characters are very insightful! Very thorough...and I say that as a compliment! lol :smileyhappy:

"I wonder what would've happened if she didn't hear her brother argue with Tandon." Good question. Hmmm. I never even considered that! Needed the conflict though and what she hears will show just what kind of stuff she's made of. I wonder if I was in that situation what I would do. Family...or love of my life. It seems like a no brainer but, then again.

"It takes more than than to reestablish a relationship that has been broken for so long. " You're absolutely right! The chance that anything would have changed between them is slim at best. He had to try though. Can you imagine, though, how difficult that would actually be? He's got grit, I'll give him that.

Andreea, think nothing of your writing. I love it! You personalized the characters and talked about them like we were hanging out and catching up on some local "gossip". I enjoyed your comments and look forward to more of them!!

Tammy, thanks for checking in with us! It's because of you we have so much to talk about it! You started it! :smileywink: I enjoy the novel and I am going to start with the second part today..

To answer some of your comments, no I did not have to choose between my husband and my family..I was lucky that they liked him right away :smileyhappy:

As for the relationship between Tandon and his father, I do admire the fact that he gave it a second try but I don't think he believed it would work. He knew what he was up against and I am not so sure he would've even tried if he hadn't attended church that morning.  People sometimes can keep a grudge on somebody, either family or friend and after a while they even forget what got them mad in the first place but continue with the resentment and I believe that is part of human nature whether we like it or not. It's easy to say it's wrong but it's harder to fix. After all it's human emotions we're dealing with and they can be pretty tricky sometimes...

Andreea
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Andreea, I hope I speak for eveyone here when I say, do not delete, what you say is always valid and even more important spoken from your heart and soul and I always enjoy reading your posts

Thanks Debbie!

Andreea
Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

A_G_D wrote:

Andreea, I hope I speak for eveyone here when I say, do not delete, what you say is always valid and even more important spoken from your heart and soul and I always enjoy reading your posts.

I concur! :smileyhappy:

Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

A_G_D wrote:

Andreea,

Tammy, thanks for checking in with us! It's because of you we have so much to talk about it! You started it! :smileywink: I enjoy the novel and I am going to start with the second part today..

To answer some of your comments, no I did not have to choose between my husband and my family..I was lucky that they liked him right away :smileyhappy:

As for the relationship between Tandon and his father, I do admire the fact that he gave it a second try but I don't think he believed it would work. He knew what he was up against and I am not so sure he would've even tried if he hadn't attended church that morning.  People sometimes can keep a grudge on somebody, either family or friend and after a while they even forget what got them mad in the first place but continue with the resentment and I believe that is part of human nature whether we like it or not. It's easy to say it's wrong but it's harder to fix. After all it's human emotions we're dealing with and they can be pretty tricky sometimes...

Andreea,

...no I did not have to choose between my husband and my family..I was lucky that they liked him right away :smileyhappy: That's great! There's nothing better than family support! :smileywink:

I believe you're right about Tandon not really thinking it would work. And true, if not for church, he would've just left. Guess he's like the rest of us when we try something and fail then say, "Well, I tried." :smileyvery-happy: And you're spot on about grudges. haha

Can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on the second half. Some of my favorite parts are in this section!

Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Tammy. thanks for setting us straight on some things and your honest opinion of our thoughts and feelings. And thanks for your participation.

I am really surprised! Everyone seems so in tune with the characters and able to relate to the issues they face. I'm thrilled! And the way you all discuss your views is very commendable. You really take the time to consider and answer and take it to heart and it shows. Thank you so much. I'm even learning a lot from you as some things I hadn't even considered.

I can't wait to hear more of all your thoughts! Thanks again for participating! :smileyvery-happy: