Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: Week 1 discussion of The Chimney Still Stands by Tammy Snyder

dhaupt wrote:

Good morning and Happy Monday,

Elaine, you did not offend anyone and I'm sure I can say that for Muse.

I don't see Tandon as one dimensional either but a very complicated, complex man with priorities that are causing him a great deal of consciense searching.

I do believe that at the end of the day he thinks and believes in what he says and does.

so put those cynics glasses back on, what would we do without differing opinions you know us here

WE LOVE THEM

after all no two people read the same book, right :smileyhappy:

Amen to that Sister!!! :smileyvery-happy:

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

I found out the Opera Erin is in this summer

it's Turandot by Puccini

Oooooo :-)

Mtn Muse....will read up on it.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

I'll start now and finish the questons later tonight. 1. Yes, it gives me more of a feel for his past. 2. Yes, I could see the old ways for some of my family would tell me storys of the past. I think Tammy did a fine job of telling the reader what it was like. (As I said I'll be back later:smileyhappy:)
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
dhaupt

GS2991 wrote:
I'll start now and finish the questons later tonight. 1. Yes, it gives me more of a feel for his past. 2. Yes, I could see the old ways for some of my family would tell me storys of the past. I think Tammy did a fine job of telling the reader what it was like. (As I said I'll be back later:smileyhappy:)

Welcome GS, thanks for your thoughts and I look forward to more

Author
novelimagination

GS2991 wrote:

HI! Glad you're Nook's working now and you can join us. And thank you for your kind comment! See you later!

P.S. I bet those stories were terrific to hear. Those handed down stories usually are. :smileywink:

The Chimney Still Stands on "eStands" everywhere! :smileyhappy:

AND...I am now available for Virtual Author Visits via Skype!
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

3. :Yes, very much so I felt sorrow for the towns people. And I would hate to be in Tandon's shoes. 4. The grandmother, heh old people kill me. Tandon well I feel that he is missing a woman in his life, And JulieAnn well I think she would be happy with Tandon but is he right for her? 5. No, I would have left if I was Tandon. And for JulieAnn I would be furious if I seen them act that way too. 6. No and yes, The father has a right to be mad but to be like that is just wrong. And Tandon tried, that will not make things right but in all he was "The better man" if you ask me. ........I haven't read any other posts yet (now I will) for I though my raw opinion would be most helpful. This is my first reading and it is kinda fun maybe I'll be in the next one!:smileyhappy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

dhaupt

GS2991 wrote:
3. :Yes, very much so I felt sorrow for the towns people. And I would hate to be in Tandon's shoes. 4. The grandmother, heh old people kill me. Tandon well I feel that he is missing a woman in his life, And JulieAnn well I think she would be happy with Tandon but is he right for her? 5. No, I would have left if I was Tandon. And for JulieAnn I would be furious if I seen them act that way too. 6. No and yes, The father has a right to be mad but to be like that is just wrong. And Tandon tried, that will not make things right but in all he was "The better man" if you ask me. ........I haven't read any other posts yet (now I will) for I though my raw opinion would be most helpful. This is my first reading and it is kinda fun maybe I'll be in the next one!:smileyhappy:

GS2991, I also am glad you were able to join us and very glad that you would think about participating again check out the Running Talley thread for the list of the featured reads for the rest of the year.

Now on to your responses.

I would also hate to be put in Tandon's position

do you think it was right of his boss to put him in this position

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
So Tammy where did you get the river idea?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

Haha hi Debbie we must have hit post at the same time I didn't see you till now. Anyway I think his boss knew better but used Tandon anyhow. I can see where he might be comeing from but he should not have sent him when Tandon has family there.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
novelimagination

GS2991 wrote:
So Tammy where did you get the river idea?

Well, men and their testosterone!:smileytongue: My lovely husband thought he could drive our car over a low water bridge with the river flowing over it. Just like the book there had been a flood recently and, by now, it had gone down some. But not far enough. Our three little boys were sitting in the backseat, I was up front pushing myself up in my seat and throwing curses at my husband under my breath. As we start crawling over the bridge, the car starts rocking and my cursing gets louder (I never said I was a saint!) We're doing alright until the front right tire suddenly dips down into a pothole we couldn't see and the hood tilts and disappears but my husband floored it. The hood pops back up and we pass the pothole just enough when the car dies.

Now, I really have to go to the bathroom, the kids are freaking out, (me too now!) and we immediately start planning who's going to grab which kids and do you roll the windows up or down...what did we see in those What To Do In An Emergency shows? lol  A guy shows up and oddly, thinks to grab his rope and WALK out to us to tie it on. Well, with no attachment that wasn't going to work and he only walked out about a foot before realizing he'd be swept away. People show up on the other side and we could see they were yelling something but you couldn't hear above the rush of water. We did a lot of arm flapping.

People stayed to see what happened lol and eventually my husband turned the ignition and it started. Luckily it was warm out and dried quickly enough though it felt half the day went by.

I've questioned my husbands sanity ever since! haha

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Thats where a hovercraft comes in handy. :smileyvery-happy:
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Author
novelimagination

GS2991 wrote:
Thats where a hovercraft comes in handy. :smileyvery-happy:

haha No doubt! lol