Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Week 1 for Drawing in the Dust - Ghosts!

[ Edited ]

Morning, Deb...didn't mean to let the worms out!  Ha!  Just thought is was an interesting topic to either think about, or talk about....

....everyone is exempt, if it bothers you in any way.

Yeah, I was thinking about the grits remark....showing my age...you're right, I just thought it was funny.  Can't stay serious.....

And what do you think about digging people up, Debbie?

"Cluck, cluck, cluck...."

Thank you, Debbie, for this concise answer, even if I did have a little trouble understanding chicken speak.  :smileyhappy:

A friend of mine has had feelings about her father, too....when ever she's in a quandary about something, she speaks (in her mind) to her father....and every time she finds a penny, it's her dad being there with her...she could explain this better than I, there is a history behind this....but she makes it so real,  and I totally believe her.  She's a very spiritual person.

dhaupt wrote:

Oh wow, can opening worms flying everywhere!!!

Kathy, I loved that you wanted to tell Norris to "eat my grits" I remember that sitcom, we're showing our age.

As far as digging up the dead, hmm, you know I've never considered it from a religious aspect only ever as an archeological aspect as in trying to learn from the past. But you know that archeology is more than about bones, in fact a lot of archeologists learn more from the garbage dumps than anywhere else. So I think I'll just stay on the fence here, chicken, you bet.

Ghosts, I've never had the pleasure of meeting one in person (I don't think), but after my dad died there were a lot of situations where I would have asked his advice and through some kind of daydream or something I felt like he gave it to me. I think he still watches over his flock from his high perch and leads us in the right direction. 

dhaupt

KathyS wrote:

Morning, Deb...didn't mean to let the worms out!  Ha!  Just thought is was an interesting topic to either think about, or talk about....

Yeah, I was thinking about the grits remark....showing my age...you're right, I just thought it was funny.  Can stay serious, continually...

Thank you, Debbie, for this concise answer, even if I did have a little trouble understanding chicken speak.  :smileyhappy:

A friend of mine has had feelings about her father, too....when ever she's in a quandary about something, she speaks (in her mind) to her father....and every time she finds a penny, it's her dad being there with her...she could explain this better than I, there is a history behind this....but she makes it so real,  and I totally believe her.  She's a very spiritual person.

dhaupt wrote:

Kathy, I loved that you wanted to tell Norris to "eat my grits" I remember that sitcom, we're showing our age.

As far as digging up the dead, hmm, you know I've never considered it from a religious aspect only ever as an archeological aspect as in trying to learn from the past. But you know that archeology is more than about bones, in fact a lot of archeologists learn more from the garbage dumps than anywhere else. So I think I'll just stay on the fence here, chicken, you bet.

Ghosts, I've never had the pleasure of meeting one in person (I don't think), but after my dad died there were a lot of situations where I would have asked his advice and through some kind of daydream or something I felt like he gave it to me. I think he still watches over his flock from his high perch and leads us in the right direction. 

Oh it is interesting, just kidding about the worms, but I could have sworn you were fluent in cluck ;-)

KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking about the grits remark....showing my age...you're right, I just thought it was funny.  Can't stay serious...

dhaupt wrote:

Oh it is interesting, just kidding about the worms, but I could have sworn you were fluent in cluck ;-)

I'm learning!  My dialect is more...braaacck, braaaacck, bracck, brack, braaaaack

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

I can give examples.  To get new evidence with regards to a crime.  To clarify some historical something or other (vague, I know).  To protect the remains from being destroyed.  To move the remains to a safer location due to changes in the natural environment.  To gain understanding into the past historically, culturally, medically, etc.

I think I understand what you are saying.  I assume you are wondering why Page had to remove and catalog all the babies or children that were in the jars (Sorry, don't have a book to refer to).  That seemed odd to me.  Even she said something to the effect that it was monotonous and she didn't gain anything from t.

KathyS wrote:

Can you define "purpose"?  I know the reasons for digging 'things' up....and bodies for court ordered reasons...but just how necessary is it to archeology, to dig people (children) up...or remove them from their burial place?...and some to be sent all over the world to be viewed? 

Fozzie wrote:

If there is a purpose in "digging up the dead," then I think it is fine, as long as it is done in a respectful way.

Ghosts, spirits, souls --- they are out there.  I haven't had an encounter myself but know several people who have.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

I can give examples.  To get new evidence with regards to a crime.  To clarify some historical something or other (vague, I know).  To protect the remains from being destroyed.  To move the remains to a safer location due to changes in the natural environment.  To gain understanding into the past historically, culturally, medically, etc.

I think I understand what you are saying.  I assume you are wondering why Page had to remove and catalog all the babies or children that were in the jars (Sorry, don't have a book to refer to).  That seemed odd to me.  Even she said something to the effect that it was monotonous and she didn't gain anything from t.

KathyS wrote:

Can you define "purpose"?  I know the reasons for digging 'things' up....and bodies for court ordered reasons...but just how necessary is it to archeology, to dig people (children) up...or remove them from their burial place?...and some to be sent all over the world to be viewed? 

Fozzie wrote:

If there is a purpose in "digging up the dead," then I think it is fine, as long as it is done in a respectful way.

Ghosts, spirits, souls --- they are out there.  I haven't had an encounter myself but know several people who have.

Hi Laura, do you think the fact that Page encountered so many of these jars might have been a reason for her lack of enthusiasm? Or do you think it might have gone deeper than that.

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

Kathy S wrote:

Whoooooo, believes in ghosts?  Whoooooo has a ghost story to tell?

Whoooooo doesn't believe in ghosts, spirits, apparitions, and all of those creepy things that go bump in the night?!! 

Have you ever walked through a graveyard..At night? 

Spit it out!  Now's the time to tell all!

I do believe there are cases out there where ghosts have been seen and reported. Here in Charlotte, there is an old plantation that sits back from a major road. One Halloween night, the people that take care of the place and give guided tours decided to give a tour of the house and gardens in the dark. We were given flourescent lights that we could carry. The back of the house is what is interesting. The person who lived on the plantation in the 1800's stayed there until he died. He had a black man who was tending to him every day to his death. He would wheel him out onto the back porch and there was a box there on a post that contained the shaving equipment. The owner was wheelchair bound at the time. Every morning at the same time, the black man would tend to the owner's shaving needs. To this day, the people who take care of the house, come in to find that box open even though it was closed before leaving the night before.

It's part of some ghostly stories that happened in this city and all around North Carolina.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew

Burial grounds are viewed as sacred in many cultures. Where I live, while excavating for a house, they found human remains. After DNA testing, it was discovered that they were the bones of an Indian Tribe that lived here many years ago, whose ancestors still do, yet they were unaware of this site.

The property was basically confiscated at a fee negotiated between the varied interested parties; the builder/owner, the community, the government and the tribe, while neighbors stewed and still do because the community had very little to say about it although it had been in existence for many years. It is is now a rather poorly kept memorial with nothing but  a large rock and overgrown weeds. They are not subject to the bylaws of the community.

My feelings are conflicted because the property is not maintained and the home values of adjacent dwellers is diminished. The community essentially becomes part of a public piece of property and we cannot easily make it private, any longer, unless anyone with a trace of the same background is given the "key to the kingdom", as well.

I think in cases like these, where the existence of the bones/graves was unknown and they were not being tended, the bones should be removed and placed in a more sacred and well kept place where they can be honored and not ignored so that the site does not become a public blight. However, local governments and tribes get too involved with the politics of it and not the spiritual end result. I suppose this happens everywhere.

For me, I am not sure I will mind if they move my bones. If it will advance scholarship and/science and help keep others alive and well, I might be inclined to say, have at 'em,! If it is for "trivial pursuit", then let them be. Yet, who defines trivial?

KathyS
0 Kudos

maxcat wrote:

Kathy S wrote:

Whoooooo, believes in ghosts?  Whoooooo has a ghost story to tell?

Whoooooo doesn't believe in ghosts, spirits, apparitions, and all of those creepy things that go bump in the night?!! 

Have you ever walked through a graveyard..At night? 

Spit it out!  Now's the time to tell all!

I do believe there are cases out there where ghosts have been seen and reported. Here in Charlotte, there is an old plantation that sits back from a major road. One Halloween night, the people that take care of the place and give guided tours decided to give a tour of the house and gardens in the dark. We were given fluorescent lights that we could carry. The back of the house is what is interesting. The person who lived on the plantation in the 1800's stayed there until he died. He had a black man who was tending to him every day to his death. He would wheel him out onto the back porch and there was a box there on a post that contained the shaving equipment. The owner was wheelchair bound at the time. Every morning at the same time, the black man would tend to the owner's shaving needs. To this day, the people who take care of the house, come in to find that box open even though it was closed before leaving the night before.

It's part of some ghostly stories that happened in this city and all around North Carolina.

Great story, Maxcat, thanks!......I think I'd be out there all night, waiting for that lid to open....I bet they do it, just for the show....but you'd have to prove it, wouldn't you?

......but, to the point...do you, personally, believe in them?....and if you do, why?....or do you sit on the fence with Debbie, and can't commit?  :smileyhappy: 

I know I sit on the fence...I've never seen a ghost, or anything remotely spooky...well, maybe just one thing, and it looks at me in the mirror every morning....but that's beside the point....We sure do have a lot of TV programs, and people, telling us we should believe in them, don't you think?  Just curious, is all.

Kathy

Distinguished Wordsmith
maxcat

KathyS wrote:

Great story, Maxcat, thanks!......I think I'd be out there all night, waiting for that lid to open....I bet they do it, just for the show....but you'd have to prove it, wouldn't you?

......but, to the point...do you, personally, believe in them?....and if you do, why?....or do you sit on the fence with Debbie, and can't commit?  :womanhappy: 

I know I sit on the fence...I've never seen a ghost, or anything remotely spooky...well, maybe just one thing, and it looks at me in the mirror every morning....but that's beside the point....We sure do have a lot of TV programs, and people, telling us we should believe in them, don't you think?  Just curious, is all

Ordinarily, it would take a lot for me to believe in ghosts. But this story was written in a North Carolina ghost story book and seeing is believing.

There was also another incident that night that has no explanation. We were all down in the kitchen area where herbs are dried and bread is made. As the guide was explaining about the room and how air tight it was, the dried herbs that were hung to dry, started spinning. No air was coming through as we all checked and the herbs kept spinning. The question is from what or who?

The woods are lovely, dark and deep, but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep - Robert Frost
Author
Zoe_Klein
0 Kudos

Re: Week 1 for Drawing in the Dust discussions

Minneapolis really was very beautiful...people told me that Minnesota only has two seasons, Winter and Roadwork. I'd love to see it in the winter actually, and see the people snow-shoe-ing, mushing dogs and skating!

Author
Zoe_Klein
0 Kudos

Re: Week 1 for Drawing in the Dust

In response to worrying about the future...I once heard Michael J. Fox respond to an interviewer who asked him if he worried about his future with Parkinson's, and he said, "I believe that to worry about something, and then to have it happen, is like living thorugh it twice. That's why I don't worry." I found that inspiring!

Author
Zoe_Klein

Hi! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

I have loved reading your posts and thoughts, every post is like a new rabbit's hole toward another wonderland.

The question about digging up bones is interesting to think about. I do believe that Page's immersion in that kind of work has been unhealthy for her. By constantly confronting bones she is confirming and re-confirming for herself that dead is dead. However, were she instead to immerse herself -- or at least counter her profession -- in seeking transcendence through other means, like meditation, hiking, falling in love, raising children, art, poetry, cycling around the Sea of Galilee...there are so many things she could do, but instead she seems to have this compulsion to keep digging.

I am uncomfortable with the idea of graves being disturbed, I really am. I recognize the benefit to science and everything, but I do think there is an aspect of death that is mystery, and mystery is beautiful and should be revered.

Page's compulsion I think comes from inside of her, but also from the outside. There is a concept called Process Theology which comes from Christian philosophy, and it says that there are many futures laid out before us, and that every decision we make is a decision toward one of those futures. However, there is one future, which is called "The Lure", which is the one from which God is beckoning. I like this idea, that we are being beckoned toward a particular destiny, even while we have the free will to decide what we want. And of course, we don't always recognize The Lure. I think Page is digging to try to heal a piece of herself, but she is also being lured, she is being tugged, by something that wants to be found.

Incidentally, and I know I mentioned it in the book, but Jewish law is incredibly strict about not disturbing graves.

On the subject of ghosts...that is such a fun subject, the paranormal. I don't think I've seen a ghost, but I once stayed in a house with a friend who was house-sitting, and it felt haunted. Of course, I was in high school, but I remember the feeling! And once, hmmm,,,this is intimate to share, but here goes...my father had an assistant in his art studio who would talk to me about soul-travel. I was veyr young at the time, maybe 14. And he told me these excercises, that you basically imagine the colors of the rainbow coloring your body one by one, and then imagined breathing certain colors in and out over a period of time. I did this a few times at night to see what would happen, and then, one night, I felt myself slip out of my body and I felt as if I was hurtling upward, like I was being sucked up into the sky, it was terrifying, and my body kept trying to scream but without my soul I couldn't make a sound. My parents' room was on the other wing of the house, and my mother woke up. She woke up my dad and said, "Zoe's in trouble," and she ran into my room and woke me up. Now I know some might say that it was just a very vivid dream...but who really knows?

I do believe that there are layers to this life, strata of creation, that we may never be able to understand. I love the mystery of it all...that is what's delicious!

Whenever my father and I hear a strange story, an amazing coincidence, or a miracle, we always look at each other and say, "Hmmm, evidence..." Evidence of what is not really the issue, we don't know! But of something...or Something...or No-Thing...or Everything...

Take care everyone, thank you for having me here. Blessings!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Zoe_Klein wrote:

I have loved reading your posts and thoughts, every post is like a new rabbit's hole toward another wonderland.

The question about digging up bones is interesting to think about. I do believe that Page's immersion in that kind of work has been unhealthy for her. By constantly confronting bones she is confirming and re-confirming for herself that dead is dead. However, were she instead to immerse herself -- or at least counter her profession -- in seeking transcendence through other means, like meditation, hiking, falling in love, raising children, art, poetry, cycling around the Sea of Galilee...there are so many things she could do, but instead she seems to have this compulsion to keep digging.

I am uncomfortable with the idea of graves being disturbed, I really am. I recognize the benefit to science and everything, but I do think there is an aspect of death that is mystery, and mystery is beautiful and should be revered.

Page's compulsion I think comes from inside of her, but also from the outside. There is a concept called Process Theology which comes from Christian philosophy, and it says that there are many futures laid out before us, and that every decision we make is a decision toward one of those futures. However, there is one future, which is called "The Lure", which is the one from which God is beckoning. I like this idea, that we are being beckoned toward a particular destiny, even while we have the free will to decide what we want. And of course, we don't always recognize The Lure. I think Page is digging to try to heal a piece of herself, but she is also being lured, she is being tugged, by something that wants to be found.

Incidentally, and I know I mentioned it in the book, but Jewish law is incredibly strict about not disturbing graves.

On the subject of ghosts...that is such a fun subject, the paranormal. I don't think I've seen a ghost, but I once stayed in a house with a friend who was house-sitting, and it felt haunted. Of course, I was in high school, but I remember the feeling! And once, hmmm,,,this is intimate to share, but here goes...my father had an assistant in his art studio who would talk to me about soul-travel. I was veyr young at the time, maybe 14. And he told me these excercises, that you basically imagine the colors of the rainbow coloring your body one by one, and then imagined breathing certain colors in and out over a period of time. I did this a few times at night to see what would happen, and then, one night, I felt myself slip out of my body and I felt as if I was hurtling upward, like I was being sucked up into the sky, it was terrifying, and my body kept trying to scream but without my soul I couldn't make a sound. My parents' room was on the other wing of the house, and my mother woke up. She woke up my dad and said, "Zoe's in trouble," and she ran into my room and woke me up. Now I know some might say that it was just a very vivid dream...but who really knows?

I do believe that there are layers to this life, strata of creation, that we may never be able to understand. I love the mystery of it all...that is what's delicious!

Whenever my father and I hear a strange story, an amazing coincidence, or a miracle, we always look at each other and say, "Hmmm, evidence..." Evidence of what is not really the issue, we don't know! But of something...or Something...or No-Thing...or Everything...

Thanks, Zoe, for sharing!

You have a wonderful weekend, too

Kathy

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

I think I understand what you are saying.  I assume you are wondering why Page had to remove and catalog all the babies or children that were in the jars (Sorry, don't have a book to refer to).  That seemed odd to me.  Even she said something to the effect that it was monotonous and she didn't gain anything from it.

Hi Laura, do you think the fact that Page encountered so many of these jars might have been a reason for her lack of enthusiasm? Or do you think it might have gone deeper than that.

Yes, I think it was a reason for her lack of enthusiasm, but not the only one.  Doing monotonous work frees up your mind to think of other things while working.  I think it was during the time she spent thinking while cataloging all those jars that she realized how dissatisfied she had become with her life. 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH

[ Edited ]

Wow, it sure doesn't pay to get behind with this group!!  I'm playing catch up with my reading.  I started DID and had to put it down for several days.  I've started again and have only put it down when absolutely necessary.  Im really enjoying getting to know the characters as well as reading the posts you've all written so far. 

As for ghosts, spirits etc I've not experienced them personally but my son has.  One morning, shortly after my dad died, my son told me that Grandpa had visited him the night before.  He said that Grandpa didn't talk to him, just sort of checked in and that ghosts aren't nearly as transparent as we've been told they are.  My son was very comforted by this "visit" and felt that his grandpa would continue to look after him.  He was about 5 or 6 at the time and his description of the visit was very detailed.  Maybe it was a vivid dream but maybe dreams are one way that people we deeply love can stay connected to us after they pass from here. 

Perhaps our connections to these spirits are what make up intuition, that sense that something just has to be when we have no logical explanation for why we know it to be so.  Manifestations of someone's previous life.

I must say I believe in ghosts but I prefer to think of them as angels

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

PollyAnnaPH wrote:

Wow, it sure doesn't pay to get behind with this group!!  I'm playing catch up with my reading.  I started DID and had to put it down for several days.  I've started again and have only put it down when absolutely necessary.  Im really enjoying getting to know the characters as well as reading the posts you've all written so far. 

As for ghosts, spirits etc I've not experienced them personally but my son has.  One morning, shortly after my dad died, my son told me that Grandpa had visited him the night before.  He said that Grandpa didn't talk to him, just sort of checked in and that ghosts aren't nearly as transparent as we've been told they are.  My son was very comforted by this "visit" and felt that his grandpa would continue to look after him.  He was about 5 or 6 at the time and his description of the visit was very detailed.  Maybe it was a vivid dream but maybe dreams are one way that people we deeply love can stay connected to us after they pass from here. 

Perhaps our connections to these spirits are what make up intuition, that sense that something just has to be when we have no logical explanation for why we know it to be so.  Manifestations of someone's previous life.

I must say I believe in ghosts but I prefer to think of them as angels

Hi Pam, don't worry about catching up. Just so you enjoy the novel and then share with us, that's what's important. And thanks for sharing the story about your son. It was touching.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Zoe_Klein wrote:

Zoe, thank you so much for that little personal view you gave us. In that situation I think I would have been scared out of my life once I woke up.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

You really have to see the ice castles they build for the winter carnival in St. Paul. When I lived there we said we had four seasons, winter, winter, winter and road repair. The state bird was the mosquito! All kidding aside, I went there kicking and screaming and left holding on for dear life; I did not want to leave at all but I had to move again. It is such a wonderful place to live, though, even with the weather. The people are amazing.

Zoe_Klein wrote:

Minneapolis really was very beautiful...people told me that Minnesota only has two seasons, Winter and Roadwork. I'd love to see it in the winter actually, and see the people snow-shoe-ing, mushing dogs and skating!

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Zoe_Klein wrote:

Hi! this is my first time haunting a book club like this...please let me know if I'm doing it correctly! I've worked with people like Norris as well. I have a number of people in my life who tell others that they are my mentors, when I never really thought of them as such. One such "mentor" took me out to lunch, and spent the entire hour sharing stories about his family with me, which was fine, truly...but then at the end of the lunch he surprised me and said, "I hope this meeting was helped you with your writing..." It struck me as very odd because we hadn't talked about my writing at all. But I've realized that sometimes people want to hitch their wagon to yours because they believe in you, or they derive some kind of inner strength from you, and that's okay. Norris, of course, is very passive aggressive, until he actually become aggressive. He's been playing house in his mind with Page for many years, only he never had the courage to let her know his real thoughts. When he realizes she doesn't have the same thoughts, he hides his humiliation by humiliating her. Oh, so few adults are actually grown-up!

I'm writing this without seeing the rest of the posts in this thread (I put myself out of reach of Internet access for a few days this week), so this may be said (or refuted) elsewhere.  Somehow, although Norris was a jerk and inappropriate, his initial presentation in the book still managed to arouse my empathy and, while I recognized the difficulty of anything Page might do to "put him in his place," given his power position, I wanted her to find it, even amidst her decision to move on.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Zoe_Klein wrote:

And plugging in the radiators of their cars so the cars will start in the morning, figuring out how to de-ice the keyholes when there has been an ice storm during the day and one wants to get home after work, understanding the meaning of wind chill when the temperature itself is -15 and there is a gale blowing, ....  Yes, I lived in the Twin Cities for a number of years.  A beautiful place with some wonderful memories, but I hesitate to ever return permanently.  (The Ice Palaces in downtown St. Paul can be fun, and even ice fishing.)

Try the pictures here and adjacent pages for a glimpse from the 2010 Festival:

http://spwc.smugmug.com/Other/Rice-Park-Ice-Sculptures/11018497_DZrQy#772092595_UcBDq

Despite the Roadwork season, I did find summer in Minnesota, including the Twin Cities, to have almost a sense of continuous vacation, even if working, since whatever days one might call "summer" were relatively few in number, but green and water were everywhere.  Besides, for all the loveliness of autumn in New England and spring from the mid-Atlantic states southward, the East Coast is not without is Roadwork season from at least August to beyond frost -- sometimes one wonders why not start earlier and get it out of the way before the excessive heat.

I see now TWJ had already given us a Carnival picture!

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy