Issac

Jess

And also the new man in the picture Marshall

4. We talked about it a lot last week and now it becomes more obvious

So tell us how the breakdown in communications fueled this fire

5. Did you enjoy the back and forth in time

Why

Why not

6. In hindsight it seems that Tandon and JulieAnn should never have reconnected and although one of them obviously moved on the other did not.

Did you like the author’s way of telling her story

Did she make this all believable to you

7. Talk to us about your feelings about the ending.

8. Final Thoughts

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Re: Week 2 Discussion of The Chimney Still Stands by Tammy Snyder

A busy day.  Will chew on the thoughts and hopefully post tonight :-)

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Same here..It seems I'm going to have to wait till tonight..:smileysad:

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Wordsmith
elaine_hf

Okay, I'll bite! I'm waiting to go to dinner with some clients, and I finished the book on the plane ride to Pittsburgh, so I'll say what I'm thinking now, and then chew on it a bit more. So to speak...

Of course it's a foregone conclusion, in my mind, that Tandon was coming back. What was not so obvious, however, was that he still felt the same way about the river park. (I wonder how his old boss, Greg, knew he'd be in town during the time interval of the meeting, by the way...) I would have to side with JulieAnn, probably because it's so easy to jump to the conclusion that by his saying he felt differently, I wanted to believe that he felt differently about the park. The fact that he felt differently about everything BUT the park did not seem a natural assumption. Am I disappointed in him? Yes, because it's hard for me to see how he could assume that everyone would be so welcoming even if his opinion on the park had not changed. I'm not disappointed that he stuck up for his ideals and beliefs, but I still feel like the physicality of the property should not be the only factor to be taken into consideration. It was a wonderful opportunity, when being questioned at the hearing, to say a few words on behalf of the communities along the river as well as his opinion that it was a good decision. I know, I know, he went out on a limb and insisted that his father and JulieAnn's family be allowed to remain, but they're not the only people with concerns.

Back to the reconciliation, though, it really feels like it was based on a foundation of sand, now that I've read to the end. Tandon never really defines how his feelings have changed, and in fairness, no one really asks. But given that his viewpoint was so unpopular 1 1/2 years ago, it would be the mature thing for him to discuss that up front. In love or no, a relationship built on false assumptions won't last, regardless.

I'm fonder of JulieAnn now - we've seen her vulnerable side and, finally, her very strong side. She thought through the implications of a continued relationship and its effects on her relationships with family and friends, and found the strength to live her convictions. While Tandon found that same strength to live his, I think he could have leveled with JulieAnn early on and saved her a LOT of heartache. I like Isaac, because he was flexible enough to accept his son after years of having written him off. And I like Marshall, because he seems the 'innocent' in the whole thing. He was smitten by JulieAnn, backed off when appropriate, and stood by her to to the end. He came by his feelings honestly, and seemed to have nothing to hide or any hidden agendas.

I liked that back and forth part of the story. Just when I was wondering about something, we'd get a little window into that time and it seemed to help with background. It took me all the way to the end to get the 'chimney' part, and I still re-read the prologue. I guess at first I was a little more confused than I thought. For some reason I had convinced myself that he knew about his cancer all along, but after finishing and re-reading the prologue I was able to set myself straight!

The one thing I have a little harder time with, and it may be just me, is the part where they restart the car. I have had the unfortunate experience of having 'thrown a rod' in a Camry I owned, by driving it into a street that had a little more water than I thought (not even as deep as the Buffalo River), and with a mighty 'boom' my car was dead. Water had gotten into the air intake and ultimately the engine and, of course, water is not compressible. (If only I had stayed awake during physics class...) So, I know it's a big mistake to try and start a car while it's in deep water, but I also recognize that the car was a 'vehicle' for the reconciliation.

The ending was poignant, sad, interesting, more than all of that. While Tandon seemed to spend his remaining years in the land of 'what if', mourning his losses of JulieAnn, their future together, etc., JulieAnn seems to have successfully navigated through that land and come out ok on the other side. I knew she'd marry Marshall, and I knew it would not be the love of her life but a strong love, nonetheless. I could never see her marrying with feelings any less, and I know she would always remember her feelings for Tandon. And she had such a strong support network, it is natural that she'd find herself again, after losing Tandon once more.

Thank you Tammy, I thought that was a very thought-provoking read!

Elaine 

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

Thank you Elaine. I'm glad you thought so.

Remember I made a comment about the river... well, without going into it too much, the whole experience can happen. It happened to me and my family. Exactly how JulieAnn's car made a dip, we did that. Our engine and all parts had gotten wet and the car died. It was not immersed, just dunked. After awhile the car started again. I just didn't have all that romance while stranded out there. Just a bunch of gawkers! haha Just wanted to explain that it happens. :smileywink: and quite easily.

The Chimney Still Stands on "eStands" everywhere! :smileyhappy:

AND...I am now available for Virtual Author Visits via Skype!
Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

novelimagination wrote:

Thank you Elaine. I'm glad you thought so.

Remember I made a comment about the river... well, without going into it too much, the whole experience can happen. It happened to me and my family. Exactly how JulieAnn's car made a dip, we did that. Our engine and all parts had gotten wet and the car died. It was not immersed, just dunked. After awhile the car started again. I just didn't have all that romance while stranded out there. Just a bunch of gawkers! haha Just wanted to explain that it happens. :smileywink: and quite easily.

Thanks, Tammy! It's good to know that a car really can be started after something like that happens. Although I hope NOT to ever find myself in that situation again, I will definitely bear that in mind!

Elaine

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Great thoughts Elaine and Tammy I wondered about the car starting back up too.

I'll refrain from telling my thoughts until we've all discussed it

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D

Let’s talk first about Tandon’s return

1. Did you see this coming?

Well, yes I did see it coming because they parted the second time too early in the story :smileyhappy: so there had to be more to it. And I didn't find it strange that Jess was the one to go after him. After all he was the older, protective brother of JulieAnn and I am sure he saw how much his sister missed Tandon. The fact that he was willing to go beyond his personal feelings and do something that was in his sister's best interest says a lot about his character. I am sure it was a choice for him as hard as JulieAnn's was.

2. Talk about your feelings on the reconciliation of Tandon and JulieAnn

I must say I have mixed feelings about it. Like Elaine said, their reconciliation was not based on solid ground and in spite of their strong feelings (which I don't doubt) there were a lot of things that were not clearly discussed between them. The fact that JulieAnn assumed Tandon was on their side now in the land issue and the fact that they never discussed it was a serious flaw in their relationship (since it was what separated them the second time). It was of course nice to read about their time spent together and as much as I wanted it to last for JulieAnn's sake more than anything, the fact that we see Tandon alone and unhappy at the beginning of the story made me think right away that they did not end up together. I can only say it was very unfair to JulieAnn. She was caused the same pain three times, at three different stages in her life.

3. Tell us if your feelings have changed for any of the characters

Tandon

JulieAnn

Issac

Jess

And also the new man in the picture Marshall

I still don't have a clear feeling about Tandon. I don't particularly like him and I am not sure why a woman such as JulieAnn would get stucked on a man who seems to me to be a little superficial in every aspect of his life. Why would he go back working with his old boss if he was so determined to resign? I don't think he ever had a clear idea of what he wanted in life. I am sure he had strong feelings for JulieAnn but he hurt her three times and abandoned his father twice! I think he approached all the situations without giving too much thought to the consequences. I think I am happy JulieAnn didn't stay with him. She might've gotten hurt again..She deserved someone that would stick around and love her and protect her and Tandon did not seem to be the person to do that.

JulieAnn is still a sweetheart! She is a loving, caring and forgiving person! And what I like about her is that in spite of everything she is subjected to, she never fails to smile. It's because of her nature and great personality that I say that Tandon did not deserve her.

I am pleasantly impressed with Issac. Now, I am not sure whether he accepted Tandon for JulieAnn's sake or because he felt he deserved a second chance. I also think that if it wasn't for Tandon quitting his job and giving them a false impression of his feelings regarding the nationalization of their land and river, his father would've had a hard time welcoming Tandon in his house. Should their different opinions stay between their relationship? It's hard to say..Issac was a stubborn person till the end and I think he felt betrayed when Tandon spoke at the conference. I think there was nothing that could've changed his mind the second time. They both died not ever giving a real try to their father-son relationship.

We don't hear much about Jess after the part where he goes and gets Tandon and then accepts him into his house. As I mentioned before, in his case, his feelings for his sister were stronger than his own beliefs and I appreciate that about him.

Marshall is the man in the shadow. He doesn't interfere in JulieAnn's relationship with Tandon but he doesn't completely come out of the picture. I think he has sincere feelings for JulieAnn and I think he is the type of man who would respect her and love her the way she deserves.

4. We talked about it a lot last week and now it becomes more obvious

So tell us how the breakdown in communications fueled this fire

I think it's clear that if Tandon and JulieAnn would've communicated effectively, they could've avoided their final break-up. It's interesting to read about JulieAnn's mixed feelings before Tandon speaks at the meeting. She is even willing to accept him with his beliefs and defend their relationship in front of her family. I think she feels betrayed more than anything else. It bothered me that Tandon accepted to speak and that he accepted the fact that his boss never submitted his resignation. He should've imposed himself on it and not accept being forced around against his own feelings. But then again he didn't even know what those feelings were. His indecisiveness influenced every aspect of his life (except his unfortunate illness of course).

5. Did you enjoy the back and forth in time

Why

Why not

It was ok. I am not particularly fond of the going back and forth in time in a story but it doesn't affect my perception of the reading. If it's a good story I enjoy it regardless. I guess I like the linear course of a story (I am not sure that's the way to say it lol) but I am sure you understand what I mean.

6. In hindsight it seems that Tandon and JulieAnn should never have reconnected and although one of them obviously moved on the other did not.

Did you like the author’s way of telling her story

Did she make this all believable to you

We can say that one moved on and one didn't but in reality, JulieAnn never stopped loving Tandon. They still had a connection stronger than any other feelings she might have for Marshall but I am sure that she loved her husband and respected him for the good man that he was. I am happy that she made a family for herself and as hard as it might've been to finally give up on hoping for a relationship  with Tandon, I think she handled the situation very well and made the right decision.

7. Talk to us about your feelings about the ending.

I didn't think we would witness Tandon's death. But I think it was better for him to be in that place, in the middle of nature and surrounded by familiar places than in a hospital bad with strangers fussing over him trying to fix the unfixable. The fact that JulieAnn sensed his death confirms the fact that their bond was stronger than any spatial limits.This is a very sad story of two people who in spite of living their own life were never able to experience full happiness and fulfillment.  

8. Final Thoughts

Tammy, I really enjoyed reading this story and I am happy I decided to participate. I would've missed out on a great read! I am glad Debbie chose it for our reading because in spite of its sad parts, this is a story that discusses a lot of aspects that we find in real life. It deals with complex human relationships as well as controversies and decision making, none of which are easy to handle. Thank you for a great novel Tammy!

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

8. Final Thoughts

Tammy, I really enjoyed reading this story and I am happy I decided to participate. I would've missed out on a great read! I am glad Debbie chose it for our reading because in spite of its sad parts, this is a story that discusses a lot of aspects that we find in real life. It deals with complex human relationships as well as controversies and decision making, none of which are easy to handle. Thank you for a great novel Tammy!

Andreea,

Thank you for all your wonderful comments and your participation. I really appreciate you taking the time...all of you! :smileyvery-happy:

I'm glad you enjoyed the book! I enjoyed writing it. It was something that seemed to be tugging me along instead of me tugging at it. No, life is not always a bowl of cherries and it was nice showing the real side of life though I still do enjoy a good happy ending. (psst...look for my next series! :smileywink:)

Thanks again!

Tam

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991

[ Edited ]
1: I thought they would see each other agan. 2: I was happy for them but I wonderd if she would take him back. 3: Jess, I did not think that he would do as he did and that changed my view of him. I thought that that was a very cool thing. 4: Its all how you precept things it can kill or it can save. 5: Yes, it gives me a look to how deep the feelings go. 6: Yes, its not soooo detaled about every little thing it mad a fun and fast read for me(when I had time. One never can have enough) 7: sad I even got a little wet eyed 8: I'll be looking for more of Tammys books I liked this book even though the genre isn't my favorite in all a good work hopefully my book is as well writen.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Scribe
Mountain_Muse

dhaupt wrote:

Questions for week 2 discussion of The Chimney Still Stands

8. Final Thoughts

Dear Debbie et al

As many of you know my husband and I work (volunteer full-time) for a Habitat for Humanity affiliate.  It is the height of our building season; We have groups in-house (50 to 68 per week) from the first of May through August.  Because of this, my participation is spotty.  

I usually get the book read, but getting on the board is not so easy.  Because of this, I am having to skip to question 8 this week. :-(

This book, like all the books Debbie chooses, was a great read.  Tammy, you did a great job of bringing out the emotions on many levels.  1) The issues of the Buffalo River acquisition by the National Park Service  2) The issues of the families living the the Buffalo River area  3) The start-crossed love story.

From the beginning of the story I was wondering how on earth they would work through the morass of the outside issues and past history to ever come to a true meeting of the ways to allow their love to grow and connect.  Everything was set against them from the start.  But, your heart-strings kept longing and pulling for them through out the book.  

Okay, I'm a complete romantic:smileyhappy: , love always prevails (yeah, right) .  Yes, my first true love still holds a small corner of my heart-of-hearts.  He will never replace the wonderful man that I have been married to for almost 33 years, but he was the first one to make me realize what love and to be loved really was....that can only happen once.  And you did a fantastic job of conveying the broken heart of the love lost by the first love.  There is nothing like it...it is like there is never closure....hence that small corner still hidden away.

Tammy,  I wish you the best on your new endeavor.  You said earlier that we encouraged you to delve even deeper into your background research on your new novel.  The research is well worth the effort.  Getting that depth and breadth down and getting to the soul of the story gives that soul to your characters and your landscape.  Go for it!!!!!  You have the gift, use the tools, you will go far.

Mtn Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
1: I thought they would see each other agan. 2: I was happy for them but I wonderd if she would take him back. 3: Jess, I did not think that he would do as he did and that changed my view of him. I thought that that was a very cool thing. 4: Its all how you precept things it can kill or it can save. 5: Yes, it gives me a look to how deep the feelings go. 6: Yes, its not soooo detaled about every little thing it mad a fun and fast read for me(when I had time. One never can have enough) 7: sad I even got a little wet eyed 8: I'll be looking for more of Tammys books I liked this book even though the genre isn't my favorite in all a good work hopefully my book is as well writen.

Thanks for your thoughts GS2991, I got a little teary eyed myself at the end.

good luck with your book!!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

8. Final Thoughts

Dear Debbie et al

As many of you know my husband and I work (volunteer full-time) for a Habitat for Humanity affiliate.  It is the height of our building season; We have groups in-house (50 to 68 per week) from the first of May through August.  Because of this, my participation is spotty.  

I usually get the book read, but getting on the board is not so easy.  Because of this, I am having to skip to question 8 this week. :-(

This book, like all the books Debbie chooses, was a great read.  Tammy, you did a great job of bringing out the emotions on many levels.  1) The issues of the Buffalo River acquisition by the National Park Service  2) The issues of the families living the the Buffalo River area  3) The start-crossed love story.

From the beginning of the story I was wondering how on earth they would work through the morass of the outside issues and past history to ever come to a true meeting of the ways to allow their love to grow and connect.  Everything was set against them from the start.  But, your heart-strings kept longing and pulling for them through out the book.  

Okay, I'm a complete romantic:smileyhappy: , love always prevails (yeah, right) .  Yes, my first true love still holds a small corner of my heart-of-hearts.  He will never replace the wonderful man that I have been married to for almost 33 years, but he was the first one to make me realize what love and to be loved really was....that can only happen once.  And you did a fantastic job of conveying the broken heart of the love lost by the first love.  There is nothing like it...it is like there is never closure....hence that small corner still hidden away.

Tammy,  I wish you the best on your new endeavor.  You said earlier that we encouraged you to delve even deeper into your background research on your new novel.  The research is well worth the effort.  Getting that depth and breadth down and getting to the soul of the story gives that soul to your characters and your landscape.  Go for it!!!!!  You have the gift, use the tools, you will go far.

Mtn Muse

Karen, I do know what you and your wonderful husband do to give back and make this world a better place to live not only for the people you personally touch but for those of us who benefit by just knowing you even peripherally.

Thanks for your thoughts and for taking the time out of your crazy schedule to chat with us.

Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:

Thanks for your thoughts and I'm glad you were able to participate! I'm glad you liked it too and I'm sure your book will be terrific! You're very creative! Good luck with it!

Author
novelimagination
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

dhaupt wrote:

8. Final Thoughts

Dear Debbie et al

Mtn Muse

Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. I'm glad you liked it and could relate to it. And I am proud to know someone who gives of their time and talents the way you and your husband do. That is real love!

Thanks again for all your kind words. They mean a lot! :smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

Karen, I do know what you and your wonderful husband do to give back and make this world a better place to live not only for the people you personally touch but for those of us who benefit by just knowing you even peripherally.

Thanks for your thoughts and for taking the time out of your crazy schedule to chat with us.

Debbie,
Thank you so very much.  This board is a lifesaver for my sanity :-).  It reminds me that I still love my literature and academia.  You can take hammers and nails only so much sometimes.  LOL  We love doing what we do,  it has given new meaning to what is important in life for us.  
Mtn Muse