Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: Week one discussion questions for Claude & Camille

StephanieCowell wrote:

I went to Paris for a week when researching the book and the impressionists section of the Musee D'Orsay was closed! But I did go see a lot of Monet paintings at the Marmottan, and burst into tears before some of them! I prowled the streets to find where his old studios stood but most of the buildings have been torn down or the exact address is not known. Thanks to all the participants reading my novel! I am here to answer any questions!

Stephanie (author of CLAUDE & CAMILLE, on a lovely day in NYC) 

Thank you Stephanie, wow that's sad that many of his early landmarks aren't there any more

What landmarks of Monet's are left besides Giverny, does his boyhood home or his father's shop survive.

I'm checking out for the evening see you all in the am.

Author
StephanieCowell
0 Kudos

Debbie, as far as I know Monet's boyhood home does not exist nor his father's shop. One can see the museum to Delacroix in the Place de Furstenberg, and Bazille painted Studio in the Rue de Furstenberg,with its two bedrooms where Claude first paints Camille, but the museum guard did not know where it was...likely torn down. I recall some artist has rented one of Monet's houses in Vétheuil but I have forgotten which one. Camille's grave can be found in that town in the church yard, Here is a blog I wrote about searching for the real Camille. Searching for Camille.

Stephanie

Scribe
ReadingPatti

dhaupt, No, I am not really into artistic world. It was interesting to read about Monet.

I think Camille did it for both of them. She needed him because she loved him so much and he needed her. She was is true love. He tried so hard to be a good provided for them both. It was sad that she died. I think that they were soulmates.

ReadingPatti

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

aprilh wrote:

I was surprised that Camille had had other lovers and the fact that Claude knows this made me wonder if it bothered him and if so, how much. He obviously has had other lovers, but I feel like he has a need to know who Camille has been with. Does it bother him, because she was engaged before and he feels intimidated by the man she was supposed to marry? Guess I'll have to keep reading.

I wasn’t surprised that Camille had other lovers.  A person of her societal class at that time would have to be rebellious to even associate with Claude, so I expected nothing less from her!  LOL!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie

whiteginger wrote:

The "interludes" with the letter from Camille's sister have created more questions for me, rather than filling in blanks in the narrative.  (Was I supposed to read the "interlude" at the end of Part II?  I didn't.)  I really like the story told in flashback, interrupted by these "interludes" from the present.  It's kind of like being on a treasure hunt--you begin with a clue, the interlude; you have the excitement of following up on the clue, reading the story; then, you discover a new clue, another interlude.  Monet seems more real as a person to me in the "interludes" than in the "story."  Perhaps that's because the interludes are in the present, but I also think it's because I like getting to know his thoughts better than the action and dialogue structure of the basic narrative.  The interludes make my knowing Monet more intimate.

I agree that the interludes create more questions at this point.  However, I liked knowing just a tidbit or two about the future and thinking about it as I read this section of the novel.

At this point in the book, my favorite character is actually Camille's sister.  I wonder how she is going to fit into the story.  I wonder how she will or will not influence her sister Camille.  I also like the sense of mystery and aloofness that she exudes right now, through the interludes.  

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

StephanieCowell wrote:

Here is a blog I wrote about searching for the real Camille. Searching for Camille.

Wonderful!  I especially liked the inclusion of the paintings.

A note for those who have not yet completed the book, this does contain spoilers.  

Laura

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

whiteginger wrote:

The "interludes" with the letter from Camille's sister have created more questions for me, rather than filling in blanks in the narrative.  (Was I supposed to read the "interlude" at the end of Part II?  I didn't.)  I really like the story told in flashback, interrupted by these "interludes" from the present.  It's kind of like being on a treasure hunt--you begin with a clue, the interlude; you have the excitement of following up on the clue, reading the story; then, you discover a new clue, another interlude.  Monet seems more real as a person to me in the "interludes" than in the "story."  Perhaps that's because the interludes are in the present, but I also think it's because I like getting to know his thoughts better than the action and dialogue structure of the basic narrative.  The interludes make my knowing Monet more intimate.

I agree that the interludes create more questions at this point.  However, I liked knowing just a tidbit or two about the future and thinking about it as I read this section of the novel.

At this point in the book, my favorite character is actually Camille's sister.  I wonder how she is going to fit into the story.  I wonder how she will or will not influence her sister Camille.  I also like the sense of mystery and aloofness that she exudes right now, through the interludes.  

Wow Laura, it never crossed my mind to have Camille's sister as my favorite character and of course once I read your reasons I wondered why not 

thanks

dhaupt
0 Kudos

StephanieCowell wrote:

Debbie, as far as I know Monet's boyhood home does not exist nor his father's shop. One can see the museum to Delacroix in the Place de Furstenberg, and Bazille painted Studio in the Rue de Furstenberg,with its two bedrooms where Claude first paints Camille, but the museum guard did not know where it was...likely torn down. I recall some artist has rented one of Monet's houses in Vétheuil but I have forgotten which one. Camille's grave can be found in that town in the church yard, Here is a blog I wrote about searching for the real Camille. Searching for Camille.

Stephanie

Thank you Stephanie

Author
StephanieCowell
0 Kudos

THE INTERLUDES IN CLAUDE & CAMILLE:

I used the technique of interludes (in this and in my previous novel, MARRYING MOZART), to look at the past from the present (or the old age of Monet in CLAUDE & CAMILLE) and to open up questions which will be answered later.  I also felt most readers would be more familiar with the old painter and his garden and his water lilies, and thus make it easier for them to travel back with me to the beginnings of his discovering painting and his struggles.

Scribe
Mountain_Muse
0 Kudos

Hey guys!!  I was finally able to get my copy today.  FINALLY!  So will be reading like crazy to catch up.  :-)

Muse

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

StephanieCowell wrote:

THE INTERLUDES IN CLAUDE & CAMILLE:

I used the technique of interludes (in this and in my previous novel, MARRYING MOZART), to look at the past from the present (or the old age of Monet in CLAUDE & CAMILLE) and to open up questions which will be answered later.  I also felt most readers would be more familiar with the old painter and his garden and his water lilies, and thus make it easier for them to travel back with me to the beginnings of his discovering painting and his struggles.

Stephanie, the interludes for me really made Monet real to me, looking back over his life

Thank you for telling us

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Hey guys!!  I was finally able to get my copy today.  FINALLY!  So will be reading like crazy to catch up.  :-)

Muse

Glad to have you Muse, and don't worry about the lateness of your arrival i know how busy you are :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Stephanie, Happy C&C Anniversary!  I love the interludes.  When Deb told me that I hadn't read far enough (I didn't read the interlude before Part III), I went back to finish this first discussion section and then couldn't stop reading :smileyvery-happy:!    

Muse, you'll be caught up in no time.

Stephanie, what studios/haunts of Monet were you able to find and enjoy in Paris?  I would love to hear one, particularly interesting moment/find from your research trip.  If this is already on your web site, I apologize; just refer me there. April or Pati, however, said that your link to Camille's story contained spoilers, so I haven't ventured there yet.  (I'm a "no spoiler" kind of girl.)   Do you have a "C&C walking tour map of Paris"?  That's the kind of thing I love to do on (extended :smileylol:) trips to cities!

Author
StephanieCowell

Whiteginger, on my websitde www.stephaniecowell.com go to the Claude & Camille tab and scroll down and you'll find a small walking tour I wrote for a friend who is a Chicago bookseller. There are also one or two books on Impressionist Paris you can look up on B&N which will give you walking tours. As I walked over the ancient bridges, I thought, "He painted here." Paris is very old as you know and a lot of it was very old when he got there. I was walking up Rue Bonaparte I think, in search of him, and there was a shop selling antique letters and there, in the window, was one of Monet's! That was an amazing moment. Also seeing his palette stained with paint at the Marmottan. 

Stephanie

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Well we're almost to the end of week one, it's been a great conversation and discussion. To Stephanie, thank you so much for all of your comments and helping us all to understand Monet just a bit better

To the members, thank you for all of your thoughts and just a reminder to let you know that Stephanie will be with us through out the whole month, so if you have anything you'd like to ask her, please do.

Now on to Week two

Here is one of the painter's later works, his other passion, his water lilies

"Nymphéas"
Claude MONET 1914-17
Private collection

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

All these amazing pictures and a Monet walking tour ready and waiting -- I'm researching deals on trips to Paris!