Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

Andreea -- don't know what I did, but just lost a msg to you!  Guess I was so excited to see your name et al that I hit some wrong key.

Anyway, feels like serendipity!

First, congratulations on your position with one of the major accounting firms!  And, yes, I can well believe much of your time is flat out right now -- not only your job, but finishing your courses!

Second, while I didn't find you a Romanian writer, I did come across a book about Romania that made the longlist for the 2011 Man Booker (you may be familiar with it already):

The Last Hundred Days  by Patrick McGuinness

There is the Man-Booker description here and this is an excerpt:

"The Romanian revolution of 1989 was the bloodiest and most violent of all the uprisings that marked the end of Communism in Europe. The trial and execution of the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife Elena on Christmas Day, the street fighting between rebels and the hated Securitate and the pillaging of Ceausescu’s luxurious palaces and villas became, along with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the defining images of the end of the Cold War. Set during Ceausescu’s last hundred days in power, Patrick McGuinness’s accomplished debut explores a world of danger, repression and corruption. When our narrator, a young English student with a damaged past and an uncertain future, arrives in Bucharest..."

About the author:

"Patrick McGuinness was born in Tunisia in 1968 and lived in Bucharest in the years leading up to the Romanian revolution. He is a Professor of French and Comparative Literature at Oxford University and a Fellow of St Anne’s College where he has taught since 1998...."

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Andreea -- don't know what I did, but just lost a msg to you!  Guess I was so excited to see your name et al that I hit some wrong key.

Anyway, feels like serendipity!

First, congratulations on your position with one of the major accounting firms!  And, yes, I can well believe much of your time is flat out right now -- not only your job, but finishing your courses!

Second, while I didn't find you a Romanian writer, I did come across a book about Romania that made the longlist for the 2011 Man Booker (you may be familiar with it already):

There is the Man-Booker description here and this is an excerpt:

"The Romanian revolution of 1989 was the bloodiest and most violent of all the uprisings that marked the end of Communism in Europe. The trial and execution of the dictator Nicolae Ceausescu and his wife Elena on Christmas Day, the street fighting between rebels and the hated Securitate and the pillaging of Ceausescu’s luxurious palaces and villas became, along with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the defining images of the end of the Cold War. Set during Ceausescu’s last hundred days in power, Patrick McGuinness’s accomplished debut explores a world of danger, repression and corruption. When our narrator, a young English student with a damaged past and an uncertain future, arrives in Bucharest..."

About the author:

"Patrick McGuinness was born in Tunisia in 1968 and lived in Bucharest in the years leading up to the Romanian revolution. He is a Professor of French and Comparative Literature at Oxford University and a Fellow of St Anne’s College where he has taught since 1998...."

Thanks Pepper! For your warm welcome and for the recommendation. I do enjoy reading about Romania and I find it very interesting to see how others felt about the revolution as well as their personal experiences during those times. I was very young when Ceausescu was killed. I was only 4 but I do remember living in my grandparents' apartment with my parents and it was Christmas Eve and we were all in the hallway away from the windows and I could hear shooting going on outside. We had to crawl even though we were on the 8th floor. And I also remember that my father decided to go on the balcony to get something and he came back white as a ghost and I was later told that a bullet passed inches from his head. There was a hole in the wall for a long time where the bullet hit. It's interesting how I remember all these things but at that time I was not aware of any danger. For a 4 year old child it was rather fun being all gathered in the hallway decorating the tree, playing the hide and seek game. Unfortunately it was not a game for so many other people...

It

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
A_G_D
0 Kudos

For whatever reason my last sentence got cut out. I was saying "It's definitely good to be back. I hope I never have to stay away for so long". :smileyhappy:

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Peppermill wrote [excerpt]:  ...a book about Romania that made the longlist for the 2011 Man Booker:

There is the Man-Booker description here ...

It's not particularly easily available in the U.S.  B&N does provide some alternatives.

Here are the reviews on Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10456114-the-last-hundred-days

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote [excerpt]:  ...a book about Romania that made the longlist for the 2011 Man Booker:

There is the Man-Booker description here ...

It's not particularly easily available in the U.S.  B&N does provide some alternatives.

Here are the reviews on Goodreads:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10456114-the-la​st-hundred-days

Thanks Pepper! I will take a look.

Andreea
dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

Oh how I've missed being on this forum...I see a few changes and some new names and I have to say I do feel an awful separation anxiety from being away from everyone here and from my books. I couldn't resist anymore and so I had to stop by and at least say hi to everybody. I know this is no excuse but these past few months have been so hectic that I have not even had a chance to finish the book I started in August..I know..It's sounds terrible. But school is soon coming to an end and I will be able to join you again in our wonderful discussions. In the meantime, since I see Debbie started a new thread for introductions, let me say a few words about myself:

My name is Andreea and I am 26 years old. I live in New Jersey with my husband and my pets (for now). We are both originally from Romania and it's only been six years since I first came to the US. My husband, whose name happens to be Andrei :smileyhappy:, came to the US first when we were still in highschool and I followed after three years. After some ups and downs and lots of getting used to we finally got married last year and we're now thinking about starting to look for a house and hopefully expanding our family soon.

I am still in school (and sooo looking forward to be done with it), graduating this coming December with a degree in accounting.  I recently started a new job with one of the big 4 accounting firms which is part of the reason why  I haven't been able to come visit for a while.This was a very big change for me compared to my previous job but things are finally starting to settle down.

In spite of my love for numbers I've always held reading as my number one hobby. Buy me a book for X-mas and I'll be the happiest. :smileyhappy: I was very excited when I found this forum and I met all the wonderful people that meet here for our weekly chats and so I can't wait to be back on track and hopefully pe part of the November discussion. Thanks everyone!

Oh Andreea I'm so happy to see you back. But I really understand life taking over our lives :smileyhappy:

so never apologize for that. I'm so happy that you and Andrei are thinking of buy a house and the whole other American Dream and I'm so glad that you are now a part of our little national family.

I have missed your optimistic outlook on life, your humor and I've, well I've just missed you.

And of course our Welcome Wagon hostess Pepper was here first to welcome you back to the fold and like her I'm so excited to have you back.

I can't wait to see what you've been up to since you've last been here.

So little by little whenever you find the time tell us all about what's going on.

It's so good to see you :smileyhappy:

Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And of course our Welcome Wagon hostess Pepper was here first to welcome you back to the fold and like her I'm so excited to have you back.

:smileyvery-happy:  It was so strange last night.  I had just been looking at the list of Man Booker winners and when I saw the one on Romania, the question went through my head, now who is it that posts on the Fiction board who looks for books from there?  Then, a couple of hours later I see Andreea's post.  Then somehow my first post disappears into the ether!

What is still strange to me is that the book (The Last Hundred Days) is so difficult to obtain in the U.S.  My best guess is that, since there is another book by the same name already on the market, there is some sort of copyright issue going on.  But that is pure guess.  B&N at least does have access to some indirect sources.

A_G_D
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

Oh how I've missed being on this forum...I see a few changes and some new names and I have to say I do feel an awful separation anxiety from being away from everyone here and from my books. I couldn't resist anymore and so I had to stop by and at least say hi to everybody. I know this is no excuse but these past few months have been so hectic that I have not even had a chance to finish the book I started in August..I know..It's sounds terrible. But school is soon coming to an end and I will be able to join you again in our wonderful discussions. In the meantime, since I see Debbie started a new thread for introductions, let me say a few words about myself:

My name is Andreea and I am 26 years old. I live in New Jersey with my husband and my pets (for now). We are both originally from Romania and it's only been six years since I first came to the US. My husband, whose name happens to be Andrei :smileyhappy:, came to the US first when we were still in highschool and I followed after three years. After some ups and downs and lots of getting used to we finally got married last year and we're now thinking about starting to look for a house and hopefully expanding our family soon.

I am still in school (and sooo looking forward to be done with it), graduating this coming December with a degree in accounting.  I recently started a new job with one of the big 4 accounting firms which is part of the reason why  I haven't been able to come visit for a while.This was a very big change for me compared to my previous job but things are finally starting to settle down.

In spite of my love for numbers I've always held reading as my number one hobby. Buy me a book for X-mas and I'll be the happiest. :smileyhappy: I was very excited when I found this forum and I met all the wonderful people that meet here for our weekly chats and so I can't wait to be back on track and hopefully pe part of the November discussion. Thanks everyone!

Oh Andreea I'm so happy to see you back. But I really understand life taking over our lives :smileyhappy:

so never apologize for that. I'm so happy that you and Andrei are thinking of buy a house and the whole other American Dream and I'm so glad that you are now a part of our little national family.

I have missed your optimistic outlook on life, your humor and I've, well I've just missed you.

I can't wait to see what you've been up to since you've last been here.

So little by little whenever you find the time tell us all about what's going on.

It's so good to see you :smileyhappy:

Thanks Debbie! I missed everyone too..I was telling my husband this morning that as soon as I posted the message last night, Pepper replied (Thanks again Pepper :smileyhappy: ) and it was really nice to see that I wasn't forgotten. These past few months I definitely felt that something very important was missing in my life. No matter what, I can never leave books aside anymore. And so I looked ahead at our future reading selections and even if I have to glue my eyes to keep them opened at night I will be part of November discussions :smileyhappy:. That's a promise!

Andreea
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Peppermill wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  It was so strange last night.  I had just been looking at the list of Man Booker winners and when I saw the one on Romania, the question went through my head, now who is it that posts on the Fiction board who looks for books from there?  Then, a couple of hours later I see Andreea's post.  Then somehow my first post disappears into the ether!

What is still strange to me is that the book (The Last Hundred Days) is so difficult to obtain in the U.S.  My best guess is that, since there is another book by the same name already on the market, there is some sort of copyright issue going on.  But that is pure guess.  B&N at least does have access to some indirect sources.

Well I know that your post wasnt' the only one that ended up in never never land and I'm glad you kept trying and yes sometimes it's all about timing isn't it.

thanks for bringing us the Man Booker winners, I for one haven't heard of it and of course so I looked it up and wow thanks Pepper for showing it to us.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

Thanks Debbie! I missed everyone too..I was telling my husband this morning that as soon as I posted the message last night, Pepper replied (Thanks again Pepper :womanhappy: ) and it was really nice to see that I wasn't forgotten. These past few months I definitely felt that something very important was missing in my life. No matter what, I can never leave books aside anymore. And so I looked ahead at our future reading selections and even if I have to glue my eyes to keep them opened at night I will be part of November discussions :womanhappy:. That's a promise!

Andreea, it will be good to add your voice to the best book forum on the B&N boards, shhh, don't tell anyone. :smileyhappy:

But I'm very proud of the allegiance my members show here and I'm never too proud to say that it's all of you who make this board the very best and the reason I love it here.

Peppermill
0 Kudos

thanks for bringing us the Man Booker winners, I for one haven't heard of it and of course so I looked it up and wow

I was introduced to the Man Booker by my face-to-face book club and apologize if it has taken me so long to pass that information along here.  We try to take a look at the lists from time to time and see if there is anything on them that appeals to us.  While we have read a fair number over the years, we ascribe no magic.

I was reading yesterday from John Sutherland's How to Read a Novel  -- his chapters on prizes, reviews and bestsellers were fun and insightful.  Here is an excerpt:

"If the reviewers are untrustworthy, and the mass of readers who flock to the bestsellers unthinking, what about the wise people who sit on the juries of literary prizes?...."

"The NBA [National Book Award], Man Booker, Orange and Whitbread prizes succeed in making headlines, not because their judicial machinery -- or even their choices -- are superior to those of other prizes, but because they are cannier about the value of PR...."

"Despite the fact that prizes are awarded by 'judges' -- with the implication that some Olympian set of critical faculties is being brought to bear -- the verdicts are inevitably controversial.  'Posh bingo', Julian Barnes has disdainfully called the Booker...."  [Smile, because Baines is shortlisted this year for his The Sense of an Ending .  He was also shortlisted in 2005 (Arthur and George) and 1998 (England, England), and perhaps other times. If he has won it, I have overlooked it in scanning past winners.  Oh, yes, his Flaubert's Parrot  (shortlisted 1984) is in my TBR. ]

Finally, from Sutherland:  "Fiction prize decisions, I would suggest can be used in two ways."  He goes on to suggest that those two ways are to suggest what may be "worth reading" (adding, "often, nowadays, reading groups lead the way") and "to test your own judgement against that of the panel.  Disagreement can often sharpen your critical judgement.  Even outrage." :smileysurprised: :smileyvery-happy:

Another prize that I started to follow after auditing a lit class is the Neustadt award, whose 2012 winner was announced October 2.  This award is for a body of work, not a particular publication.

Here is one of Robinton Mistry's books (surprisingly, the only one I found quickly on B&N):

A Fine Balance

Peppermill
0 Kudos

The Man Booker winner was announced last night.  It was:

The Sense of an Ending  by Julian Barnes

It apparently is less than 200 pages in length.  The reader reviews run hot and cold -- at least that is my reaction to those I have perused.

New User
BenKane
0 Kudos

Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Hello to everyone. Obviously, I'm a newbie here, so excuse me if I make any forum boo-boos.

My name is Ben Kane, and in no particular order, I'm an Irishman, a veterinarian and a writer of historical fiction. I was born in Kenya, but grew up in Ireland from the age of 7. Read too many James Herriot books as a child, and didn't observe my dad's job too much, so ended up as a veterinarian. However, after 3 years of backpacking in the late 90s,  and then a year working on the horrific Foot and Mouth Disease outbreak here in the UK in 2001, I decided that I didn't want to stay in that career. I started writing, and naively decided that I would write about Rome, and more particularly, its soldiers.

Cue working about 90 hours a week for 3 or more years.

Cut to getting an agent in early 2006, and then a three book deal with a major publisher (Random House) in the UK. I managed to give up veterinary medicine completely in December 2008, and since then I haven't looked back. So far I have had 4 books published, two of which have reached the UK Top Ten bestseller charts. I have a book about Spartacus coming out in January in the UK (June in the US).

While my time for reading is no longer what I'd like it to be, I do still enjoy, no love, reading. Historical  fiction is my favourite topic, surprisingly!

I look forward to meeting you all on the boards.

Thanks!

Ben

Bestselling author of Roman historical fiction
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
www.benkane.net
Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Welcome BenKane! Enjoy the boards! I'm GS for short.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
dhaupt
0 Kudos

The Road to Rome 

The Silver Eagle 

The Forgotten Legion    

Hi Ben and welcome to the forum, are these your books?

We have a few historical fiction buffs here and these might be right up their ally.

That's quite a biography you have there, it sounds like it could be a novel by itself.

If you've looked around the forum much you can see we love UK authors and we have our second visting this month also writing historical fiction although a quite a few years after your subject.

Thanks for commenting and I hope to see you around often.

Good luck with the sales of these books and the new one coming out in 2012.

New User
BenKane
0 Kudos

Thanks for your welcomes, GS And Debbie! Thanks also for putting up my covers :smileyhappy:

Is there a particular section for historical fiction - I can't see one.

Thanks

Ben

www.benkane.net
dhaupt
0 Kudos

BenKane wrote:

Thanks for your welcomes, GS And Debbie! Thanks also for putting up my covers :smileyhappy:

Is there a particular section for historical fiction - I can't see one.

Thanks

Ben

You're very welcome and no Ben there is no historical fiction club, this is probably the best one for that as I have many lovers of historical fiction that visit.

New User
BenKane
0 Kudos

Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Cheers, Debbie - I had another look around, and came to the same conclusion. I've started a HF thread now - hopefully some people will join in!

www.benkane.net
New User
KaycKC
0 Kudos

Hi everyone, I'm Kayden, and pretty new to the B&N Community. Loving it so far. I am a married mother of three, who works in an architectural firm by day, and at my computer, writing away, by night. (well, when I am not busy being mom and wife.) I try to read a bit every night, mostly suspense novels, because getting caught up in a story is something that I love. During my free time, you will probably find me on the back of my husbands Harley, enjoying the beauty of the day. I am looking forward to the great conversation, and book suggestions I am sure to find here.

http://www.kaydenlee.com

Laugh, cry . . . feel.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

KaycKC wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm Kayden, and pretty new to the B&N Community. Loving it so far. I am a married mother of three, who works in an architectural firm by day, and at my computer, writing away, by night. (well, when I am not busy being mom and wife.) I try to read a bit every night, mostly suspense novels, because getting caught up in a story is something that I love. During my free time, you will probably find me on the back of my husbands Harley, enjoying the beauty of the day. I am looking forward to the great conversation, and book suggestions I am sure to find here.

Hi Kayden, and welcome to the General Fiction forum. It sounds like you have a very busy life indeed and I'm glad that you chose to spend some of it here with us.

I am also a fan of suspense and in fact this month on the board we're featuring the first in a trilogy by Iris Johansen, if you're a fan I'm sure you know of her Eve Duncan series, and if not you will become one.

You are welcome to join our discussion if you wish or just take a slow stroll around the site and see what interests you for suggestions.

If you like the writing of Steg Larsson you may like this novel

Three Seconds  

it's probably the most intense novel I've read in a while and it's set in Sweden.

I hope to see you often here and thanks again for joining us.