Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Frequent Contributor
Thriller-Writer
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎01-05-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

Hey everyone, My B&N Name is Thriller-Writer, mainly because that's my style. But my name's Ian. I recently published my first work, Secrets Shrouded in White. Oddly enough, the book itself spawned from a short story that blossomed into something more. It's eventually going to be a series, so I'm hoping this first one gets off to a good start.

 

Aside from making sure all the details mesh together and line up, I base my writing simply on percieved reaction; I like when readers say "I didn't see that coming," and "That was intense," among other things.

 

Other than that, I'm just glad to be here.

 

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself


Thriller-Writer wrote:

Hey everyone, My B&N Name is Thriller-Writer, mainly because that's my style. But my name's Ian. I recently published my first work, Secrets Shrouded in White. Oddly enough, the book itself spawned from a short story that blossomed into something more. It's eventually going to be a series, so I'm hoping this first one gets off to a good start.

 

Aside from making sure all the details mesh together and line up, I base my writing simply on percieved reaction; I like when readers say "I didn't see that coming," and "That was intense," among other things.

 

Other than that, I'm just glad to be here.

 

 

Ian, welcome to the General Fiction forum!
as a reader I love saying to myself those very things too. Good luck with the novel and the upcoming series. You said that it evolved from a short story, can you tell us more about how that happened. Did you set out to write a short story and the characters and plot had other ideas or what.
I hope to see you here often!

Secrets Shrouded in White  

Frequent Contributor
Thriller-Writer
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎01-05-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much.

 

The story itself started as just the adventure of a teenager who was being haunted by the spirit of a little girl. But I started asking myself, Why is she following her? How could this intertwine with her everyday life? This allowed me to start pulling in new characters, including one who is integral to the outcome of the book. And when it came to finding a climax, with the characterization I had already set up for this little girl, I had to intoduce some form of evil. And from there, It came to be what it was.

 

 

 

Frequent Contributor
EinsteinPD
Posts: 235
Registered: ‎05-08-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Hello all, I live in Omaha Nebraska where it is noon time and 8 degrees Fahrenheit outside. But I am warmly dressed, the furnace is pumping away and I am warm enough. I write all kinds of fiction, and some non-fiction also-  22 ebooks published with BarnesandNoble.com. My most recent is "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" with interior photos. If anyone wants to read an ebook of mine, but has a problem purchasing it, let me know, and I will gift it. Good reading to all.

 

Phillip Duke Ph.D.

 

Wrights.jpg        Wrught Brothers.jpg

      Wilbur and Orville Wright           Evolution of the Wright brother's airplane.

 

Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself


EinsteinPD wrote:

Hello all, I live in Omaha Nebraska where it is noon time and 8 degrees Fahrenheit outside. But I am warmly dressed, the furnace is pumping away and I am warm enough. I write all kinds of fiction, and some non-fiction also-  22 ebooks published with BarnesandNoble.com. My most recent is "Sherlock Holmes and the Flying Machine" with interior photos. If anyone wants to read an ebook of mine, but has a problem purchasing it, let me know, and I will gift it. Good reading to all.

 

Phillip Duke Ph.D.

 

Wrights.jpg        Wrught Brothers.jpg

      Wilbur and Orville Wright           Evolution of the Wright brother's airplane.

 


Thank you Einstein, that's very generous of you.

Contributor
SusanGabriel
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-11-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Susan Gabriel and I write fiction and have been crafting stories for 17 years and READING stories for much longer.

 

For many years I had a successful psychotherapy practice where--I like to say--I studied "characters" in depth. But I always knew that I if I didn't--at some point in my lifetime--write stories, I would die with regrets. I typically write about courage and transformation--since I witnessed so much of that very thing from my clients--and I also write a lot about the secrets we keep.

 

So here's to me not dying with regrets: my latest novel is called The Secret Sense of Wildflower (a historical, southern, coming-of-age story), which much to my surprise and delight received a starred review by Kirkus Reviews and was voted one of their Best Books of 2012. (Still shocks me just to write it.) 

 

I call the mountains of North Carolina my home. I value things like perseverence, integrity, authenticity, honor and courage and I have worked for years to try to integrate these traits. I think you especially need these if you are going to be a writer. Courage and perseverence, in particular. 

 

Thanks again for the opportunity to introduce myself. I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

 

With every good wish,

Susan Gabriel 

 

Author of the novel, The Secret Sense of Wildflower (historical, southern, coming-of-age). Starred review by Kirkus Reviews (for "books of exceptional merit") and voted one of their Best Books of 2012.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself


SusanGabriel wrote:

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. My name is Susan Gabriel and I write fiction and have been crafting stories for 17 years and READING stories for much longer.

 

For many years I had a successful psychotherapy practice where--I like to say--I studied "characters" in depth. But I always knew that I if I didn't--at some point in my lifetime--write stories, I would die with regrets. I typically write about courage and transformation--since I witnessed so much of that very thing from my clients--and I also write a lot about the secrets we keep.

 

So here's to me not dying with regrets: my latest novel is called The Secret Sense of Wildflower (a historical, southern, coming-of-age story), which much to my surprise and delight received a starred review by Kirkus Reviews and was voted one of their Best Books of 2012. (Still shocks me just to write it.) 

 

I call the mountains of North Carolina my home. I value things like perseverence, integrity, authenticity, honor and courage and I have worked for years to try to integrate these traits. I think you especially need these if you are going to be a writer. Courage and perseverence, in particular. 

 

Thanks again for the opportunity to introduce myself. I look forward to getting to know everyone better.

 

With every good wish,

Susan Gabriel 

 


Hi Susan and welcome and WOW congrats on the great Kudos from the great Kirkus

I hope everyone here gets a chance to check it out.

The Secret Sense of Wildflower  

Contributor
SusanGabriel
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎06-11-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the personalized welcome. I checked out your great blog, The Reading Frenzy, and read some of the interviews (I love a good interview. Especially of writers!!). Any chance you'd like to do an interview and book giveaway for Wildflower?

 

Forgive my brazenness. *blush*

 

Susan Gabriel

Author of the novel, The Secret Sense of Wildflower (historical, southern, coming-of-age). Starred review by Kirkus Reviews (for "books of exceptional merit") and voted one of their Best Books of 2012.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself


SusanGabriel wrote:

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for the personalized welcome. I checked out your great blog, The Reading Frenzy, and read some of the interviews (I love a good interview. Especially of writers!!). Any chance you'd like to do an interview and book giveaway for Wildflower?

 

Forgive my brazenness. *blush*

 

Susan Gabriel


Thanks Susan, I sent you a pm (private message) here on the B&N forum just click the little envelope to open it up

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,356
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

I'm not new but it's been almost a year since i have been around so thought i would reintroduce myself. I am 21 from Arkansas, i like to read science fiction, fantasy, myserty, thrillers and graphic novels. I have two sisters, a teenage sister at 19 btw she's doing much better after her drug problem in the past. She's now working at a dentist office and being trained into becoming a dental assistant. My other sister will soon be six yrs old and i get mistaken to be mom instead a sister fruequently. I work at a college library and freelance my graphic design skills on the side. I have two cats one named Shadow hence the name and B.B which stands for bad boy. I didn't mean this to be so long. So i will end this with one last thing. What i like to do for this board is review books i read and hope thrh that you find them helpful and enjoyable.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself


shadowcat80 wrote:
I'm not new but it's been almost a year since i have been around so thought i would reintroduce myself. I am 21 from Arkansas, i like to read science fiction, fantasy, myserty, thrillers and graphic novels. I have two sisters, a teenage sister at 19 btw she's doing much better after her drug problem in the past. She's now working at a dentist office and being trained into becoming a dental assistant. My other sister will soon be six yrs old and i get mistaken to be mom instead a sister fruequently. I work at a college library and freelance my graphic design skills on the side. I have two cats one named Shadow hence the name and B.B which stands for bad boy. I didn't mean this to be so long. So i will end this with one last thing. What i like to do for this board is review books i read and hope thrh that you find them helpful and enjoyable.

Thanks for the reintroduction :smileyhappy: and welcome back

 

New User
Purposely-Positive
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-03-2014
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Hello Debbie and everyone else. I'm Laurie Harrison and new to the group. Really looking forward to searching through all the topics and getting to know everyone. My husband and I have been married for 14 years and have 4 children. We live in a small town at the edge of the Metro Atlanta area in Georgia where we have both lived all our lives. I've worked in the medical field as an MA and later made a transition to real estate. I still hold an active real estate license but I'm not practicing anymore. Now I stay home full time after having an accident almost 3 years ago that severely broke my left hip. We tried many surgeries but finally had to do a total hip replacement almost a year later. Even after having that done, the accident has left me with a lot of complications. I also suffer from a chronic illness which requires me to go through a lot of testing right now to determine the exact cause. The combination of it all has left me fully disabled. I believe there is a purpose for everything and something I enjoy is being able to encourage others. Since I have a lot of free time on my hands, I decided to set up an online support group for others suffering with chronic illnesses and chronic pain. We have a group on Facebook and I've also started blogging. My goal is always maintain a positive attitude so my blog is www.purposelypositive.wordpress.com where I have started sharing my stories. It gives me an outlet an a chance to work on my writing. Writing has always been a way to relieve stress and pour my thoughts and emotions onto paper and now I'm able to use both of these sources to that and hopefully help someone else too. My favorite author is Terri Blackstock and then probably Nora Roberts. I love the small town fiction stories with a mysterious twist and enjoy the messages of faith in the Christian Fiction genre. I look forward to talking to everyone more throughout the threads. Laurie Harrison
Laurie Harrison
Contact or follow me:
Blog: www.purposelypositive.wordpress.com
Email: lauriefharrison@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/laurie.f.harrison
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Laurie, welcome!

What an inspiration you are especially sharing with others.

I hope you find plenty of people to converse with on the boards. Unfortunately they're not as populated as they once were, so please invite anyone you know to join in.

 

I will check out your blog

 

New User
Purposely-Positive
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-03-2014
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Thank you! I will have more posts on the blog soon. You will see on my blog that I started blogging on a different site and changed to broaden my topics. I will definitely invite anyone I can I look forward to being able to converse with anyone I can. 😊
Laurie Harrison
Contact or follow me:
Blog: www.purposelypositive.wordpress.com
Email: lauriefharrison@gmail.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/laurie.f.harrison
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,356
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Welcome Laura to the forum, It's always nice to have new faces here. Your story is very inspring and your blog sounds interesting i will check out the blog sometime soon.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TarHeelGirl00
Posts: 638
Registered: ‎02-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Welcome aboard, Laurie!  Good luck with your blog.  I am sure it will be a great encouragement to others!

 

You may already be familiar with the Free NOOKbook summary thread, but just in case, I thought I would mention it.  Quite a few free ebooks listed there are from the Christian fiction genre and it is updated daily.  Here is the link:  http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Book-Discussion/Free-NOOKbook-summary-thread-please-no-O...

 

Have a great day and happy reading!

Correspondent
luv2read29
Posts: 71
Registered: ‎05-30-2013

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Hi Debbie, I think I am doing this backwares, since you and I have been back and forth on What are you reading, I will introduce myself anyway to the others. I am luv2read29, I live in Ohio, work part time for the board of elections. I have been married for 17 yrs, have a 14 yr old son who is the apple of my eye. I love spending my summers camping, watching my guys fish while I sit with a good book. my falls are spent on the cross country course cheering on my son. I like to read almost everything now since I can get alot of feedback from others on thier books. thanks to all for letting me introduce my self, see you around:catwink:

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
Posts: 2,356
Registered: ‎12-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself


luv2read29 wrote:

Hi Debbie, I think I am doing this backwares, since you and I have been back and forth on What are you reading, I will introduce myself anyway to the others. I am luv2read29, I live in Ohio, work part time for the board of elections. I have been married for 17 yrs, have a 14 yr old son who is the apple of my eye. I love spending my summers camping, watching my guys fish while I sit with a good book. my falls are spent on the cross country course cheering on my son. I like to read almost everything now since I can get alot of feedback from others on thier books. thanks to all for letting me introduce my self, see you around:catwink:


It's fine you jumped right in, we are glad to have you taking part of our forum.  Have a wonderful stay here

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Moderator
dhaupt
Posts: 11,865
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself


luv2read29 wrote:

Hi Debbie, I think I am doing this backwares, since you and I have been back and forth on What are you reading, I will introduce myself anyway to the others. I am luv2read29, I live in Ohio, work part time for the board of elections. I have been married for 17 yrs, have a 14 yr old son who is the apple of my eye. I love spending my summers camping, watching my guys fish while I sit with a good book. my falls are spent on the cross country course cheering on my son. I like to read almost everything now since I can get alot of feedback from others on thier books. thanks to all for letting me introduce my self, see you around:catwink:


You didn't do anything backwards :smileyhappy: 

I just love that you're here

 

It's nice to e-meet you and since it's been a while I'll tell everyone a bit about me too.

I'm married 35years this year have one daughter who is a professional opera singer plus teaches voice at a local college in the St. Louis area and have 3 grown stepchildren

 

I work full time for a graphic design firm, review for RT Magazine and LibraryJournal as well as certain author friends and publishers. I volunteer at my local library and sit on the board of directors of my library district, I run a book blog, the link is below where there is usually a post a day often with giveaways and great author interviews.

My passion is reading, books and all the things that go with it and I LOVE the B&N General fiction board too! :smileyhappy: