Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Hahaha. Come on favorite author? :smileyhappy: Genre?
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Book Sharks: No need to breathe, just read!
Distinguished Correspondent
shygirltn37
0 Kudos

rl stine and the author who writes the diary of the wimpy kid books and the bag of bones book by stephen king

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

I like King. Used to read Goosebumps.
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

shygirltn37
0 Kudos

GS2991 wrote:
I like King. Used to read Goosebumps.

i still like goosebumps i like twilight saga new moon

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

Thank you eveyone for the greetings and suggestions. 

Inspired Contributor
Wylee
0 Kudos

I guess I should introduce myself.  I already posted on here about Informative Fiction books.

Anyway, my screen name is Wylee, I'm 43,  I live in Idaho USA,  and I'm the mother of 5 children.

(my oldest is 20 and my youngest is 8.)  I don't have a job or a life  : /  

We live out in the country and I am a stay home mom, so I do have lots of time to read.  

My problem is I am rather picky about what I read. 

Like I described in my other post, I like Informative Fiction,  which would include Historical Fiction, but also any subject of value...  such as Diseases and Disorders,  Natural Disasters,  Different Cultures,  You get the idea?  No fluffy stuff like vampires or romances.  No murder mysteries either.  I've read enough of those that they've become cliche for me.  Wow, Forgive me for sounding so negative.  I guess I'm just trying to be clear.  So here I am,  Hello!

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
~Richard Steele~

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter."
~Thomas Helm~
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Welcome to the fiction general discussion Wylee, but like to point out something to you, you are a mom of five children, you said you have no job you're wrong, that's a huge job by itself. Make yourself at home and have a great day and happy reading.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wylee wrote:

I guess I should introduce myself.  I already posted on here about Informative Fiction books.

Anyway, my screen name is Wylee, I'm 43,  I live in Idaho USA,  and I'm the mother of 5 children.

(my oldest is 20 and my youngest is 8.)  I don't have a job or a life  : /  

We live out in the country and I am a stay home mom, so I do have lots of time to read.  

My problem is I am rather picky about what I read. 

Like I described in my other post, I like Informative Fiction,  which would include Historical Fiction, but also any subject of value...  such as Diseases and Disorders,  Natural Disasters,  Different Cultures,  You get the idea?  No fluffy stuff like vampires or romances.  No murder mysteries either.  I've read enough of those that they've become cliche for me.  Wow, Forgive me for sounding so negative.  I guess I'm just trying to be clear.  So here I am,  Hello!

Wylee, I totally agree with shadowcat, I was a stay at home mom for years with only one child and it provided me with more to do than I ever thought possible, so I commend you for one being able to stay at home and two for being so humble about it.

I hope that you'll find a good fit here at the forum, we are a varied bunch of readers whos tastes run the gamit.

I would also like to formally invite you to participate in our monthly featured reads, you can see the complete list here, in February we are reading 

Paris Noire  

and we start on Monday, it may not be too late to join if it's something you think you would like

there are many special aspects to these features, one is that the author always joins in for the chat, we get to ask her/him about things that readers only dream of while they're reading a novel. This month we have the added benefit of having Francine's publicist and founder of Little Bird Publicity joining in and she will be happy to answer all of our questions too.

so please run down the list and see if anything tickles your fancy, if so stay tuned as I always provide plenty of time to get the book and give the readers a schedule for reading.

I'm so glad you happened upon our little book nook here at B&N.com and hope that it becomes somewhere you feel at home, we've all sort of become friends in a special way here and our circle is never too full.

Inspired Contributor
Wylee
0 Kudos

thanks for the warm welcome!

the book discussion sounds pretty good.

how do you decide on the books.  do you all

get together and vote?

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body."
~Richard Steele~

"My test of a good novel is dreading to begin the last chapter."
~Thomas Helm~
dhaupt
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Wylee wrote:

thanks for the warm welcome!

the book discussion sounds pretty good.

how do you decide on the books.  do you all

get together and vote?

You're welcome and no we don't vote on the featured reads I choose them, there is a lot that depends on the feature and the most important is that the author is willing to participate, which isn't always possible as I've been turned down much more than I've been told yes. I also like obscure books, debut books and novels that might not be chosen with a vote and surprisingly it works very well.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Sorry me late. Welcome! Yeah shadow is right. I got stuck babysiting 5 little ones at once before. I was just watching one and and 4 others came over from school the mothers waved said good luck and nabed for the booze. They had a babysitter they wern't stupid they took a break for a while. Its not a vaca. Hahaha. Kudos! Hope you enjoy the board!
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

Wordsmith
Kat-NE
0 Kudos

I guess I better introduce myself if I'm going to be wandering around. My name is Katherine. I'll answer to Katherine, Kat-NE, Kat, Hey You, whatever, I'm not picky. I'm 25 and have a full time job that keeps me from writing. I have a few short stories done and a few rolling around in my head, but I can't seem to find the time and energy to write them down. I also like editing and am interested in being a book editor one of these days, if I ever force myself to quit my current job. I like reading some of the classics (Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, etc.) and like sci-fi/fantasy fiction (no robots or aliens, though). Occasionally I branch out to other types of fiction, but it's usually because of a movie or a recommendation. I'm also on The Writing Room board, but everyone seems to have vanished, so I'm looking around.

I will now continue my wandering.

Inspired Bibliophile
GS2991
0 Kudos

Welcome Kat! Now Kat also has very powerful telepathic powers. Careful with that one! ... don't urt me.....
Silence is golden,
Duck tape is silver.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Kat-NE wrote:

I guess I better introduce myself if I'm going to be wandering around. My name is Katherine. I'll answer to Katherine, Kat-NE, Kat, Hey You, whatever, I'm not picky. I'm 25 and have a full time job that keeps me from writing. I have a few short stories done and a few rolling around in my head, but I can't seem to find the time and energy to write them down. I also like editing and am interested in being a book editor one of these days, if I ever force myself to quit my current job. I like reading some of the classics (Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, etc.) and like sci-fi/fantasy fiction (no robots or aliens, though). Occasionally I branch out to other types of fiction, but it's usually because of a movie or a recommendation. I'm also on The Writing Room board, but everyone seems to have vanished, so I'm looking around.

I will now continue my wandering.

Katherine it's so nice to meet you, I'm Debbie and I'm your moderator at General Fiction, were a very eclectic group and always looking to meet new people, we're from all over and every walk of life.

I have a real book club read once a month for the entire month where we read the book in sections and then discuss those sections as a group by answering questions that I come up with, we always have the author here to chat with us, tell us secrets and in general just make the read more in-depth. We just finished The Proper Care and Maintenance of Friendship and starting April 2nd we'll be reading Claude and Camille about Monet and his first wife and muse Camille click on any of the appropriate threads to see if it's somehting that you'd like we'd love to have you join us.

Once a week I post an interview on Tuesday which is when most books get released featuring a Q&A with the author talking about the new book so enjoy yourself and I hope you like it here enough to pull up a chair.

Catherine111
0 Kudos

I guess I should introduce myself.  My name is Catherine and I work in an academic library.  I have always loved reading, but I just recently got back into reading more mainstream books.  I majored in English in college because I love to read and write.  I used to get so excited when a paper was assigned.  I don’t know what I loved more, thinking and planning what I wanted to write about, or the actual writing process.

I joined the forum to do the read along of Marilyn Brant’s A Summer in Europe.  However, after being here a short time, I have decided to continue with the book club because I think it just might be the thing I’ve been looking for.  I don’t have a lot of friends who read and I miss those days of being in class and discussing literature. 

Some other facts about me --- I am married with cats.  Along with books, I love yarn.  I’ve crocheted for most of my life, and this year I have taught myself to knit. 

I look forward to getting to know you all a little bit better, as I read more of your book selections. 

Catherine
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Catherine111 wrote:

I guess I should introduce myself.  My name is Catherine and I work in an academic library.  I have always loved reading, but I just recently got back into reading more mainstream books.  I majored in English in college because I love to read and write.  I used to get so excited when a paper was assigned.  I don’t know what I loved more, thinking and planning what I wanted to write about, or the actual writing process.

I joined the forum to do the read along of Marilyn Brant’s A Summer in Europe.  However, after being here a short time, I have decided to continue with the book club because I think it just might be the thing I’ve been looking for.  I don’t have a lot of friends who read and I miss those days of being in class and discussing literature. 

Some other facts about me --- I am married with cats.  Along with books, I love yarn.  I’ve crocheted for most of my life, and this year I have taught myself to knit. 

I look forward to getting to know you all a little bit better, as I read more of your book selections. 

Catherine, THANK YOU, what a wonderful compliment it is when a new visitor comes for a very specific visit and decides to move in. I love it.

I also love all my members here, we are great big family and I'm so glad you've decided to join in the future.

Next month we have the fabulous JT Ellison visiting with her brand new thriller and in July we'll be kissing the blarney stone as we spend the month in Ireland

here is the link for the selections of 2012 in case you didn't see them

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/2012-Featured-Reads-by-Month/m-p/1...

Thank you again :smileyhappy:

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

Hi Cathrine!  I've already seen you on the ASE discussion thread, but nice to know some other background.  I, too, have an English background (English Lit/Comp teacher for 28 years), love cats (I am owned by a calico named Calypso) and love hand knitted garments (notice that I did not say I knitted--at least not in the last 40 years).  

Deb is a great moderator and club members are welcoming and interesting.  I look forward to future conversations over some great books.

Catherine111
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

Hi Cathrine!  I've already seen you on the ASE discussion thread, but nice to know some other background.  I, too, have an English background (English Lit/Comp teacher for 28 years), love cats (I am owned by a calico named Calypso) and love hand knitted garments (notice that I did not say I knitted--at least not in the last 40 years).  

Deb is a great moderator and club members are welcoming and interesting.  I look forward to future conversations over some great books.

Thank you whiteginger & Debbie for the nice welcome.  I am excited about reading some great books with you and I'm excited about getting to know you all better!

Catherine

Catherine
Inspired Contributor
Yonina_Dove
0 Kudos

Hey all!

My name is Yonina Dove, i'm an aspiring author & english teacher and soon to be mother ^_^.

I have always found my calling within the black and white pages of a book and in the lines of a spiral notebook. When it comes to reality, I prefer fantasy but when it comes to fantasy I like making my own reality.

“I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells. Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, It's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope. Which is what I do, And that enables me to laugh at life's realities.”
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Yonina_Dove wrote:

Hey all!

My name is Yonina Dove, i'm an aspiring author & english teacher and soon to be mother ^_^.

I have always found my calling within the black and white pages of a book and in the lines of a spiral notebook. When it comes to reality, I prefer fantasy but when it comes to fantasy I like making my own reality.

Yonina, congratulations on your upcoming motherhood  and here's wishing you luck on your writing.

what type of book are you writing, is it fiction, do you have a publisher, are you self publishing using Pubit.

Tell us a little more.

I am a huge fantasy/paranormal fan, in fact I was just looking at the cover of JR Ward's upcoming March 2013 release of Lover at Last, her series is my favorite in the paranormal/fantasy genre, what types of fantasy do you like

Welcome, we are a friendly group and hope you stop by often :smileyhappy: