Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt

Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]

I wanted start a new thread for introductions for our new members and if you're an old timer you may want to take the time to re-introduce yourself.

Here's who I am

I am Debbie your moderator for Fiction General Discussion, I work full time for a Graphic Design firm in St. Louis and live in a small farming community about 40 mins away from work. I actively review for RT Reviews. LibraryJournal and many publishers and a few selected authors, I also serve as a board member to my local library district in St. Charles County Missouri, I am married for over 30 years and have one grown daughter who is a classically trained Opera Singer, she teaches at the college level and perfoms with two Opera companies here in town plus sings at many other venues as well.

Here at the forum every month we will feature a novel and as an added bonus for the members and for me too we will have the author visit during tne discussion check the Announcements page and The Running Talley Thread for the scheduled selections. Then join in the fun.

Remember that this is your forum so please feel free to post new threads and respond to those already up I want you to have fun here, and also to be gracious also to me, the visiting authors and to the other members. I don't want to have strangers here but a group of friends.

Author
Zkullis

Re: Welcome to the General Fiction Forum - Introduce Yourself

Monday

Happy Monday morning!

I am Zack Kullis.  I work full time with a Federal law enforcement agency (hence the use of a pen name), and write as well.  A few interesting facts about me; I have lived in a number of foreign countries, love to travel, ride motorcycles when I can, am a member of a Division SWAT team, and like to cook.  (Hopefully this doesn't sound like a line from a singles site)

Thanks, Debbie, for the opportunity to introduce ourselves again!

Zack... 

(or you can call me Z, it popped up in the GP lounge, and I kind of like it) 

Smite the Damned. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Smite-The-Damned/Zack-Kullis/e/2940012784445 The sequel, Realm Crossing, to be released soon.
dhaupt

Zkullis wrote:

Monday

Happy Monday morning!

I am Zack Kullis.  I work full time with a Federal law enforcement agency (hence the use of a pen name), and write as well.  A few interesting facts about me; I have lived in a number of foreign countries, love to travel, ride motorcycles when I can, am a member of a Division SWAT team, and like to cook.  (Hopefully this doesn't sound like a line from a singles site)

Thanks, Debbie, for the opportunity to introduce ourselves again!

Zack... 

(or you can call me Z, it popped up in the GP lounge, and I kind of like it) 

Hi Zack thanks for stopping by, it's always good to hear from you

Scribe
Mountain_Muse

Hi Debbie,

My online name is Mountain Muse, but everyone on board calls me Muse.  I am retired and live in the Appalachian Highlands since my husband and I retired.  Before moving to the mid-Atlantic area, we spent 30 Years living in the Santa Fe, New Mexico area, where we raised our family and I had a career as an administrator and accountant in both the public and private sectors.

Despite such a productive career, my heart and background studies are in Music and Literature.  Though I never pursued a career in either field, I have continued to enjoy both disciplines and practice my skills occasionally on poor unsuspecting victims at church, wedding, local events, and family functions.  My literary treatises as slowly amassing in the occasional notebook and file folders on my computers.  

I have found that spending time here on the board with Debbie and Friends has been one of my most rewarding and enjoyable outlets for intellectual and creative thought processes that I have encountered in many years.  Thank you Debbie, for being here to direct, mediate, referee, and come up with books, authors, and wonderful topic ideas for us to discuss.

A really good book is much like an artichoke. As you peel back each page of the of the book, you get closer and closer to the succulent heart of the story.
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Mountain_Muse wrote:

Hi Debbie,

My online name is Mountain Muse, but everyone on board calls me Muse.  I am retired and live in the Appalachian Highlands since my husband and I retired.  Before moving to the mid-Atlantic area, we spent 30 Years living in the Santa Fe, New Mexico area, where we raised our family and I had a career as an administrator and accountant in both the public and private sectors.

Despite such a productive career, my heart and background studies are in Music and Literature.  Though I never pursued a career in either field, I have continued to enjoy both disciplines and practice my skills occasionally on poor unsuspecting victims at church, wedding, local events, and family functions.  My literary treatises as slowly amassing in the occasional notebook and file folders on my computers.  

I have found that spending time here on the board with Debbie and Friends has been one of my most rewarding and enjoyable outlets for intellectual and creative thought processes that I have encountered in many years.  Thank you Debbie, for being here to direct, mediate, referee, and come up with books, authors, and wonderful topic ideas for us to discuss.

:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

Hi Debbie and All....

I rarely post in the welcome sections anymore, I guess because I'm probably considered one of the "old-timers", and I think that most of you know me, and my background, by now.  But I'll make a special effort for you, Debbie.  :smileyvery-happy:

Let's see now....Since I'm such an old-timer....I was born in a log cabin (?), in the suburbs of LA.... Long Beach, California to be exact.  Raised in a stucco house in Bellflower, Ca., up to the age of 16...at which time my family moved, and from then on out I've moved all around the So. Cal. area.

I'd lived with my parents until I was married at age 21... then I divorced some 20 odd years later...have two grown, beautiful, daughters...and two great grandkids.

My initial school degree was in Dental Asst., minor in music and art.  I later gave up the dental, because of the A H doctors I worked for...God's gifts to humanity,, they were not....but they thought so.  I loved my work in this field more than anything.

I've worked many jobs, with many titles, since then, both volunteer and for pay.  I won't bore you with these jobs.  Let's just say I've learned a lot about a lot of things, and people, over the years.  I studied the Bible for a number of years, and worked and sang in churches for more years than I can count.  I learned a lot more about myself during this time.

Music has always been a love of mine, as I play the piano and sing when the occasion arises.

In my 40's, I went back to college to study fine art.  Pottery was my main interest, but I've painted all mediums, mixed and experimental, since the age of 16. I studied jewelry making..Stained glass...Sculpting; I throw on the wheel, and hand-build, working in clay for over 25 years, that is until my body told me to stop for a while, two years ago..I turned to writing full time.  Now I sit too much!

I've been teacher, and I've been student.....

I've always written, in one form or another, in one style or another, for many reasons.  But until about four years ago,  I never gave it serious thought.  I joined a writers group this last year, and discovered they had something to say about my writing....I learned something more about myself.  And they liked what I had to say, too!  It's a rewarding critique group that says it like it is!

The end results from all my experiences, and from my time spent on B&N, which goes back about ten years, is that I've found that I've always had something to say, no matter the subject.  Maybe I'm just a blabber mouth who loves the sound of her own voice, or maybe I see what needs to be said, and I say it.  I'm not always right, I'm not always tactful, for which I have regrets, but I do always try to be sincere.  Books, their stories, always have something to teach us.

I try to look at all of the good things that I've learned from the people here on B&N, and know that these people are the ones who keep me plugging along, fast or slow, happy or sad, no matter my day's feelings.  And for this I thank each and every one of you....Thank You for being here, and who you are!

Kathy

p.s.  I had my two cups of coffee, as you can tell!  :smileyvery-happy:

dhaupt

KathyS wrote:

Hi Debbie and All....

I rarely post in the welcome sections anymore, I guess because I'm probably considered one of the "old-timers", and I think that most of you know me, and my background, by now.  But I'll make a special effort for you, Debbie.  :smileyvery-happy:

Let's see now....Since I'm such an old-timer....I was born in a log cabin (?), in the suburbs of LA.... Long Beach, California to be exact.  Raised in a stucco house in Bellflower, Ca., up to the age of 16...at which time my family moved, and from then on out I've moved all around the So. Cal. area.

I'd lived with my parents until I was married at age 21... then I divorced some 20 odd years later...have two grown, beautiful, daughters...and two great grandkids.

My initial school degree was in Dental Asst., minor in music and art.  I later gave up the dental, because of the A H doctors I worked for...God's gifts to humanity,, they were not....but they thought so.  I loved my work in this field more than anything.

I've worked many jobs, with many titles, since then, both volunteer and for pay.  I won't bore you with these jobs.  Let's just say I've learned a lot about a lot of things, and people, over the years.  I studied the Bible for a number of years, and worked and sang in churches for more years than I can count.  I learned a lot more about myself during this time.

Music has always been a love of mine, as I play the piano and sing when the occasion arises.

In my 40's, I went back to college to study fine art.  Pottery was my main interest, but I've painted all mediums, mixed and experimental, since the age of 16. I studied jewelry making..Stained glass...Sculpting; I throw on the wheel, and hand-build, working in clay for over 25 years, that is until my body told me to stop for a while, two years ago..I turned to writing full time.  Now I sit too much!

I've always written, in one form or another, in one style or another, for many reasons.  But until about four years ago,  I never gave it serious thought.  I joined a writers group this last year, and discovered they had something to say about my writing....I learned something more about myself.  And they liked what I had to say, too!  It's a rewarding critique group that says it like it is!

The end results from all my experiences, and from my time spent on B&N, which goes back about ten years, is that I've found that I've always had something to say, no matter the subject.  Maybe I'm just a blabber mouth who loves the sound of her own voice, or maybe I see what needs to be said, and I say it.  I'm not always right, I'm not always tactful, for which I have regrets, but I do always try to be sincere.  Books, their stories, always have something to teach us.

I try to look at all of the good things that I've learned from the people here on B&N, and know that these people are the ones who keep me plugging along, fast or slow, happy or sad, no matter my day's feelings.  And for this I thank each and every one of you....Thank You for being here, and who you are!

Kathy

Kathy, thanks so much for taking the time to fill us in, those who don't know you and even those who do and didn't know everything like me.

Your participation has always been somthing I looked for and appreciated, thanks for your support in this too.

Now it's time to switch to Chardonnay :smileyhappy:

KathyS

[ Edited ]

dhaupt wrote:

KathyS wrote:

Hi Debbie and All....

Kathy

Kathy, thanks so much for taking the time to fill us in, those who don't know you and even those who do and didn't know everything like me.

Your participation has always been somthing I looked for and appreciated, thanks for your support in this too.

Now it's time to switch to Chardonnay :smileyhappy:

Correction Notice:  Change "great grandkids" to wonderful grandkids...Emma is 10 and Evan is 8.,,,,neither have had children, yet!  :smileyvery-happy:

And the 'log cabin' was a joke!

Okay, Chardonnay time...but it's only 3:00 here...oh, heck, who cares....belly up to the bar!

Inspired Contributor
high96
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

I am Naomi and currently live at Fort Benning, GA. I love to read and average about 9 books a month.  I really like mysteries and crime fiction but read from every genre. I have a degree in Forensic Chemistry, but am currently working full time in the beverage and flavor industry.  I participated in my first First Look for Three Seconds which was  also the last First Look. Besides reading, I like to quilt, and am an active member of postcrossing.com (postcard collecting/penpalling) and swap-bot.com where you can sign up for different swaps involving items you collect or craft. I am recently decided to start working toward a sewing certificate from Columbus State University in the Continuing Education Department and tonight is my second meeting of the first class. I have 2 daughters  (15 and soon to be 4) that keep me busy as well. 

But there is always time for reading!

"I don't like secrets! All this cooking, and reading, and TV watching, while we... read and cook! It's like you're involving me in crime, and I let you! Why do I let you?" --Emile in "Ratatouille"
dhaupt
0 Kudos

high96 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I am Naomi and currently live at Fort Benning, GA. I love to read and average about 9 books a month.  I really like mysteries and crime fiction but read from every genre. I have a degree in Forensic Chemistry, but am currently working full time in the beverage and flavor industry.  I participated in my first First Look for Three Seconds which was  also the last First Look. Besides reading, I like to quilt, and am an active member of postcrossing.com (postcard collecting/penpalling) and swap-bot.com where you can sign up for different swaps involving items you collect or craft. I am recently decided to start working toward a sewing certificate from Columbus State University in the Continuing Education Department and tonight is my second meeting of the first class. I have 2 daughters  (15 and soon to be 4) that keep me busy as well. 

But there is always time for reading!

Hi Naomi, I think many of us miss First Look and it's one of the reasons I run my monthly book club feature a lot like it.

good luck in your endeavor at University and thanks for stopping by and telling us a little about yourself I hope you visit often to let us know what's new in your life and in your reading. If you're interested in the monthly featured read, in October it will be

Outlaw  

I'll be posting the author's interview tomorrow and the read starts Monday October 3rd.

New User
Ashley-Gerber

Hello fellow readers!

My name is Ashley Gerber, although people tend to just call me Gerber. I'm 18 years old, a full-time student also working a full-time job. Reality is busy, so the way I escape is reading. Ever since I was a young 13 I have been reading everything from Stephen King to Jodi Picoult. I recently re-read The Little Prince, and it brought me back to why fiction and story telling is so important in my life! I enjoy a hot cup of chai tea and traveling whenever the opportunity presents itself, can't wait to get to know you via this discussion group :-)

Peppermill
0 Kudos

Ashley-Gerber wrote:

Hello fellow readers!

My name is Ashley Gerber, although people tend to just call me Gerber. I'm 18 years old, a full-time student also working a full-time job. Reality is busy, so the way I escape is reading. Ever since I was a young 13 I have been reading everything from Stephen King to Jodi Picoult. I recently re-read The Little Prince, and it brought me back to why fiction and story telling is so important in my life! I enjoy a hot cup of chai tea and traveling whenever the opportunity presents itself, can't wait to get to know you via this discussion group :-)

Welcome, Ashley!  I hope you will find this a congenial group!

We have a fun escapist book (Robin Hood) to discuss this month: Outlaw by Angus Donald.  Hope you will be joining the discussion!

In the meantime, do share what you are reading or add to the book list game -- we are still working on numbers!

Pepper

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
BarbaraBillig
0 Kudos

Hi!  My name is Barbara Griffin Billig.  My book, “The Nuclear Catastrophe (a fiction novel of suspense)” started out over 30 years ago when I was a high school science
teacher.  It was published in 1977 as a hardcover novel.  It can
still be found in numerous libraries across the United States. 

When the Fukushima nuclear catastophe occurred, out of curiousity I
googled the name of my  out of print book.  It was still being sold as a used book
on several sites, including Amazon & Barnes and Noble.  Since
there was still interest I decided to update the book and bring it
back into print  as an Ebook with an updated title "THE DISQUIET SURVIVORS of The Nuclear Catastrophe".   It's now available as a 99 cent NOOK BOOK or in paperback.

It's been a fun project and I have another book to bring back when I have the time (divided between my husband, 90 year old mother, active German Shepherd dog, and Southern California sunshine).  Click below if you would like to see the B&N site for more info.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/THE-DISQUIET-SURVIVORS-of-The-Nuclear-Catastrophe/Barbara-C-Griffin...

Thanks and happy reading.  Barbara Griffin Billig

follow me on twitter:  @BarbaraBillig

or my blog:  www.thenuclearcatastrophe.blogspot.com

Author of THE DISQUIET SURVIVORS of The Nuclear Catastrophe
(a fiction novel of suspense).
Follow Barbara on twitter: @BarbaraBillig
Follow Barbara's blog: http://www.thenuclearcatastrophe.blogspot.com
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The DISQUIET SURVIVORS of the Nuclear Catastrophe  by Barbara C. Billig, by Bett Pohnka  (see her link below for the the ebook @$0.99)

Congratulations, Barbara

BarbaraBillig wrote:

Hi!  My name is Barbara Griffin Billig.  My book, “The Nuclear Catastrophe (a fiction novel of suspense)” started out over 30 years ago when I was a high school science
teacher.  It was published in 1977 as a hardcover novel.  It can
still be found in numerous libraries across the United States. 

When the Fukushima nuclear catastophe occurred, out of curiousity I
googled the name of my  out of print book.  It was still being sold as a used book
on several sites, including Amazon & Barnes and Noble.  Since
there was still interest I decided to update the book and bring it
back into print  as an Ebook with an updated title "THE DISQUIET SURVIVORS of The Nuclear Catastrophe".   It's now available as a 99 cent NOOK BOOK or in paperback.

It's been a fun project and I have another book to bring back when I have the time (divided between my husband, 90 year old mother, active German Shepherd dog, and Southern California sunshine).  Click below if you would like to see the B&N site for more info.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/THE-DISQUIET-SURVIVORS-of-The-Nuclear-Catastrophe/Barbara-C-Griffin...

Thanks and happy reading.  Barbara Griffin Billig

follow me on twitter:  @BarbaraBillig

or my blog:  www.thenuclearcatastrophe.blogspot.com

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
dhaupt
0 Kudos

Welcome Ashley, I love it when young people show up and I hope you do find something interesting here, either recommendations or joining in a group discussion. I hope to see you regularly on the board And congratulations Barbara and good luck with the re-issue of your book Sorry I can't be more individualized in my responses but our B&N gremlins have shown up, I just hope they're gone by tomorrow when Angus Donald starts his month long visit.
Frequent Contributor
mocanaqua
0 Kudos

Hello. I chose the pseudonym "Mocanaqua," because I come from the area where the real Mocanaqua, a.k.a., Frances Slocum, was born. She was a young girl kidnapped by Indians from her home in northeastern Pennsylvania, taken to live and eventually marry among native Americans in Indiana, and--to the surprise of her family when they found she was still alive, years later--chose to remain with her native American family rather than return to her family of origin. Her story was transcribed rather beautifully by Keri Russell's character in the mini-series "Into the West."

I'm in my 50's, a lifelong resident of northeastern Pennsylvania, by training an English instructor. At one time, I planned a doctoral degree in Victorian Literature, and I'm very familiar with the "big names" of that era. For a reason I've never been able to explain, modern fiction leaves me cold. This is ironic, because I write fiction and have just used Barnes & Noble's PubIt to upload an ebook.

I watched Masterpiece Theater not only religiously but fanatically in its first years on television, in the early 70's. I also have a degree in History, and I loved anything having to do with the French and the English. Lately, however--and largely due to Netflix--I have taken an interest in other European regions and films.

It bothers me tremendously that I have stopped reading. The last "series" (sic) that I read were Wilkie Collins' triple-deckers in the late 90's. I have bought but have not yet cracked the safety-seal on a Nook, because I'm wondering if a return to reading will interfere with my film-watching and fiction-writing. For lack of a better word, the "phenomenology" of reading: the page-turning, the concentration, the black-and-white, has become a long-forgotten habit, and this is not good. I wonder if other middle-aged internet users have gone through a similar "dry spell" in regard to reading, because it makes me feel so guilty as well as plain ignorant!

Well, thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. This seems to be a very polite and friendly board, and I suppose this is the place I should start. Happy October!

dhaupt
0 Kudos

mocanaqua wrote:

Hello. I chose the pseudonym "Mocanaqua," because I come from the area where the real Mocanaqua, a.k.a., Frances Slocum, was born. She was a young girl kidnapped by Indians from her home in northeastern Pennsylvania, taken to live and eventually marry among native Americans in Indiana, and--to the surprise of her family when they found she was still alive, years later--chose to remain with her native American family rather than return to her family of origin. Her story was transcribed rather beautifully by Keri Russell's character in the mini-series "Into the West."

I'm in my 50's, a lifelong resident of northeastern Pennsylvania, by training an English instructor. At one time, I planned a doctoral degree in Victorian Literature, and I'm very familiar with the "big names" of that era. For a reason I've never been able to explain, modern fiction leaves me cold. This is ironic, because I write fiction and have just used Barnes & Noble's PubIt to upload an ebook.

I watched Masterpiece Theater not only religiously but fanatically in its first years on television, in the early 70's. I also have a degree in History, and I loved anything having to do with the French and the English. Lately, however--and largely due to Netflix--I have taken an interest in other European regions and films.

It bothers me tremendously that I have stopped reading. The last "series" (sic) that I read were Wilkie Collins' triple-deckers in the late 90's. I have bought but have not yet cracked the safety-seal on a Nook, because I'm wondering if a return to reading will interfere with my film-watching and fiction-writing. For lack of a better word, the "phenomenology" of reading: the page-turning, the concentration, the black-and-white, has become a long-forgotten habit, and this is not good. I wonder if other middle-aged internet users have gone through a similar "dry spell" in regard to reading, because it makes me feel so guilty as well as plain ignorant!

Well, thanks for the opportunity to introduce myself. This seems to be a very polite and friendly board, and I suppose this is the place I should start. Happy October!

Welcome to the board mocanaqua, and what a great namesake to choose and a great story too. I was always very angry at the way TV, film and literature treated the Native Americans and am greatful that we seem to be a more truthful people today, is it because of the internet and all it's sub gizmos. Maybe, I do know that it's almost impossible to hide a lie anymore.

Wow with your credentials I'm surprised that you weren't snatched up by an ink publisher. Can you tell us, did you choose to use Pubit.

Last year in June we featured here a Pubit author when Pubit was just coming out of it's infancy and I thought it would be a great idea to feature a Pubit author. I do know many here that read e-books but how many of them buy self published works that is a mystery.

I noticed in the Autumn thread you choose not to self advertise, if you had a publisher behind you that would be their job but since you are self published how do you get the word out about your book.

I hope to see you often on the thread, and one other thing, in the other thread you mentioned a children's book you were looking for, you might try the Lost Books thread if you don't have any luck.

Frequent Contributor
mocanaqua

Hi, Deb--

And thank you sincerely for your welcome here. As a matter of fact, I was agented in the 90's. My stuff made it to major houses. The truth? It didn't deserve to; my fiction wasn't ripe. This should stand as a warning to all the young writers out there who are consumed (as I was) with the need to see themselves in print. The term "premature agenting," attached to one's name, is as bad as "yesterday's news" or "day-old" at the supermarket. As far as "legitimate publishing," I've published "legitimate" non-fiction. (Oh, I hate that word when used to pass judgment on something that isn't manifestly criminal.)

Another member of this board has been kind enough to correspond with me privately. My first name is Hilary, and I decided to use PubIt for a variety of reasons. The manager of my local Barnes and Noble is one of my heroes. He owned a highly regarded mom-and-pop bookstore effectively put out of business by Walden (then Waldenbooks) in the Era of the Great U.S. Shopping Mall. Rather than be embittered, he went to work for Barnes and Noble as its highly regarded manager. His wife has just opened a drop-in center for non-native English speakers hoping to earn English. (This in a region where feelings run raw and even lethal between the native and non-native residents.)

Anyway, as I said privately to the other board member, Barnes and Noble is proving a competitor to a conglomerate-that-shall-not-be-named. I could write a book about that conglomerate--not only as an author but as a member of a community where hiring practices for distribution warehouses are very...Dickensian.

Well, enough about me. Thanks again.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

mocanaqua wrote:

Hi, Deb--

And thank you sincerely for your welcome here. As a matter of fact, I was agented in the 90's. My stuff made it to major houses. The truth? It didn't deserve to; my fiction wasn't ripe. This should stand as a warning to all the young writers out there who are consumed (as I was) with the need to see themselves in print. The term "premature agenting," attached to one's name, is as bad as "yesterday's news" or "day-old" at the supermarket. As far as "legitimate publishing," I've published "legitimate" non-fiction. (Oh, I hate that word when used to pass judgment on something that isn't manifestly criminal.)

Another member of this board has been kind enough to correspond with me privately. My first name is Hilary, and I decided to use PubIt for a variety of reasons. The manager of my local Barnes and Noble is one of my heroes. He owned a highly regarded mom-and-pop bookstore effectively put out of business by Walden (then Waldenbooks) in the Era of the Great U.S. Shopping Mall. Rather than be embittered, he went to work for Barnes and Noble as its highly regarded manager. His wife has just opened a drop-in center for non-native English speakers hoping to earn English. (This in a region where feelings run raw and even lethal between the native and non-native residents.)

Anyway, as I said privately to the other board member, Barnes and Noble is proving a competitor to a conglomerate-that-shall-not-be-named. I could write a book about that conglomerate--not only as an author but as a member of a community where hiring practices for distribution warehouses are very...Dickensian.

Well, enough about me. Thanks again.

Hilary, what a great and honest response and somewhat unique I would guess too. And if you're ever in the mood to write non-fiction I think you just named your topic.

I hope you come often to the board and chat with us and I'm always up for new friends and would love to chat with you more, just private message me and I'll give you my email addy.

I love Barnes & Noble in all of it's many forms, be it physical or on the ether like here and they have my staunchest support and not just because I moderate for them. I was a chatting member long before this came my way and have always loved the way they treated their members whether chatting here on line or purchasing books at a physical store.

I hope we hear from you often and I thank you for your frankness in answering my questions.

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Oh how I've missed being on this forum...I see a few changes and some new names and I have to say I do feel an awful separation anxiety from being away from everyone here and from my books. I couldn't resist anymore and so I had to stop by and at least say hi to everybody. I know this is no excuse but these past few months have been so hectic that I have not even had a chance to finish the book I started in August..I know..It's sounds terrible. But school is soon coming to an end and I will be able to join you again in our wonderful discussions. In the meantime, since I see Debbie started a new thread for introductions, let me say a few words about myself:

My name is Andreea and I am 26 years old. I live in New Jersey with my husband and my pets (for now). We are both originally from Romania and it's only been six years since I first came to the US. My husband, whose name happens to be Andrei :smileyhappy:, came to the US first when we were still in highschool and I followed after three years. After some ups and downs and lots of getting used to we finally got married last year and we're now thinking about starting to look for a house and hopefully expanding our family soon.

I am still in school (and sooo looking forward to be done with it), graduating this coming December with a degree in accounting.  I recently started a new job with one of the big 4 accounting firms which is part of the reason why  I haven't been able to come visit for a while.This was a very big change for me compared to my previous job but things are finally starting to settle down.

In spite of my love for numbers I've always held reading as my number one hobby. Buy me a book for X-mas and I'll be the happiest. :smileyhappy: I was very excited when I found this forum and I met all the wonderful people that meet here for our weekly chats and so I can't wait to be back on track and hopefully pe part of the November discussion. Thanks everyone!

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot