Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

U Is for Undertow (Kinsey Millhone Series #21)  

Almost current with this series. Now I have to wait for the next letter.

Correspondent
bookwormmom4
0 Kudos

Almost current with this series. Now I have to wait for the next letter.

I enjoy this series!  I heard Ms. Grafton started writing these books because when her husband left her she was plotting to kill him then turned these murders into gold by writing these stories.  Anyone know if this is true?  Just wondering.

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up" Mark Twain
dhaupt

[ Edited ]

I too love this series, but I never heard that. Here is what Wikipedia says about Sue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sue_Grafton

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

[ Edited ]
bookwormmom4 wrote:

I enjoy this series!  I heard Ms. Grafton started writing these books because when her husband left her she was plotting to kill him then turned these murders into gold by writing these stories.  Anyone know if this is true?  Just wondering.

I Googled Wiki:

While going through a "bitter divorce and custody battle that lasted 6 long years," Grafton imagined ways to kill or maim her ex-husband. Her fantasies were so vivid that she decided to write them down.

She had long been fascinated by mysteries that had related titles, including those by John D. MacDonald, whose titles referenced colors, and Harry Kemelman, who used days of the week. While reading Edward Gorey's The Gashlycrumb Tinies, an alphabetical picture book of children who die by various means, she had the idea to write a series of novels based on the alphabet. She immediately sat down and made a list of all of the crime-related words that she knew.

This exercise led to her best-known works, a chronological series of mystery novels. Known as "the alphabet novels," the stories are set in and around the fictional town of Santa Teresa, California. It is based on Santa Barbara, outside of which Grafton maintains a home in the suburb of Montecito. (Grafton chose to use the name Santa Teresa as a tribute to the author Ross Macdonald, who had used it as a fictional name for Santa Barbara in his own novels.)

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez: Book Cover

I started this one yesterday but in Romanian..:smileyhappy:

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

KathyS wrote:
bookwormmom4 wrote:

I Googled Wiki:

While going through a "bitter divorce and custody battle that lasted 6 long years," Grafton imagined ways to kill or maim her ex-husband. Her fantasies were so vivid that she decided to write them down.

She had long been fascinated by mysteries that had related titles, including those by John D. MacDonald, whose titles referenced colors, and Harry Kemelman, who used days of the week. While reading Edward Gorey's The Gashlycrumb Tinies, an alphabetical picture book of children who die by various means, she had the idea to write a series of novels based on the alphabet. She immediately sat down and made a list of all of the crime-related words that she knew.

This exercise led to her best-known works, a chronological series of mystery novels. Known as "the alphabet novels," the stories are set in and around the fictional town of Santa Teresa, California. It is based on Santa Barbara, outside of which Grafton maintains a home in the suburb of Montecito. (Grafton chose to use the name Santa Teresa as a tribute to the author Ross Macdonald, who had used it as a fictional name for Santa Barbara in his own novels.)

That is so interesting.  Who would have known!!  I am only on B Is for Burglar (Kinsey Millhone Series #2)  , but I am really hooked!

Correspondent
seasanddollar
0 Kudos

I couldn't wait any longer, so I  added

The Devil in the White City  to the books I am currently reading.  It is so good, I think I'll be devoting myself to it solely.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

seasanddollar wrote:

I couldn't wait any longer, so I  added

The Devil in the White City  to the books I am currently reading.  It is so good, I think I'll be devoting myself to it solely.

Let us know what you think

Distinguished Correspondent
A_G_D
0 Kudos

Sheltering Hearts

Another free e-book that supports single mothers getting out of abusive relationships.

Andreea
"Books are the quitest and most constant of friends; they are the most accesible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles Eliot
dhaupt
0 Kudos

A_G_D wrote:

Sheltering Hearts

Another free e-book that supports single mothers getting out of abusive relationships.

Thanks Andreea, Robyn Carr is a great author, I've enjoyed a few of her Virgin River novels

Wordsmith
darkangel_1988
0 Kudos

The Iron Knight

Currently Reading

The Mephisto Covenant

Happy Reading :smileywink:

My Blog

www.darkangel88.com

Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The Blue Light Project  I am currently reading 2 books.

On the nook I am reading: The Blue Light Project

And I am also reading a DTB: The Enemy

Contributor
writer2011
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading? Tears of a Hustler PT 3

Tears of a Hustler 3 picks up
right where part two left off. Things get serious when Marvin the leader of a
powerful up coming gang decides he wants to take over Pauleenas
empire.

With her back against the
wall Pauleena defends her territory by any means necessary even if it means
killing everything moving. With her main soldier gone she has step up to the
plate and get her hands dirty. The streets will rain money or blood it’s their
choice but giving up her throne is not an option. Who will be the last hustler
standing?

Once
against Silk White takes readers on a ride they won’t ever forget

Now Available for Nook

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading? Tears of a Hustler PT 3

Garden Spells  Reading this one for my face to face book club. Much lighter than I expected. Hope  there's a little more depth later on for some good conversation.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Garden Spells  Reading this one for my face to face book club. Much lighter than I expected. Hope  there's a little more depth later on for some good conversation.

Well pj I guess it depends on your idea of depth, it's not mind bending, it does have a fair amount of mystery to it and a little woo woo thrown in. Mostly her novels are light, easy to read with very imaginative characters. Its sort of chick lit of literary fiction if that makes sense.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I'm reading

Then Came You  

I just love her novels, this one is no exception.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

dhaupt wrote:

pjpick wrote:

Well pj I guess it depends on your idea of depth, it's not mind bending, it does have a fair amount of mystery to it and a little woo woo thrown in. Mostly her novels are light, easy to read with very imaginative characters. Its sort of chick lit of literary fiction if that makes sense.

I'm liking it more now that I'm further into it (thanks, Insomnia!). I've already jotted down some discussion points.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Freaks by Tess Gerristen Rizzoli and Isles short story
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Correspondent
barry2B
0 Kudos

A Prisoner of Birth 

Started this yesterday, seems to drag a bit at the beginning, but I am hoping it gets better as I go. I really liked his other books.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The Facts of Life  I had to give in to my love of books that are not in the best seller or mainstream. Found this one at a second hand bookstore. I'm having to adjust to the writing style but so far it's kind of funny. (I'm only 30 pages in). And it has short chapters! I love books with short chapters!