Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

1AnneB wrote:

Canyons of Night  

Hi Everyone - This was quite a week for new books. It was a dilemma which one to read first - I chose the new Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle - Canyons of the Night. So far it's good. I'm not sure which one is next - It's an embarassment of riches. Happy Reading...

Anne

Thanks Anne, if my eyes weren't already green they would be, how did I miss this one coming out. I'm stopping on my way home B&N here I come

I just finished this one

Only Yours (Fool's Gold Series #5)  

http://thereadingfrenzy.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-of-only-yours-by-susan-mallery.html

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Wherever You Go  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
KathyS
0 Kudos

Foreign Body

Foreign Body  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading

Happy Labor Day eveyone

I just got an email from our October author and he'll be on "holiday" for a couple weeks in September but is really looking forward to our discussion of his novel

Outlaw 

Right now like some of you I'm re-reading Kiss of Fire

Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire Series #1) 

I stopped halfway through New York to Dallas to do some required reading, but it's a good one, out next week

New York to Dallas (In Death Series #33) 

And right now I just started this read, a new author to me, so far so good.

Black As Snow     

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Black As Snow  Let us know how this one is. It looks interesting. Fantastic cover!

KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: Foreign Body

[ Edited ]

KathyS wrote:

Foreign Body  

Robin Cook has always been a favorite of mine.  He's a writer of mystery-suspense-medical stories.  Although, he did take off in another direction with a sci fi once, which didn't turn out so hot.  I've read most of his books, and have enjoyed them a little more with each new one.  He's a writer who has improved with age! 

As I've just started reading this novel, Foreign Body, it starts off in India, and with each progressive chapter, introduces a simultaneous action by another character(s), in different places, both city and country.  It's easy to follow what these characters are doing, and interesting how, if true to form, he'll bring these characters all together. 

Recently, I noticed the movie Contagion coming out, and I was curious as to whether this movie was from Cook's novel by the same title, but it wasn't.  He has written novels that have been made into movies, this just happened to not be one of them.  If you love suspense, see this old movie, Coma!  His medical background lends itself to all of his stories, and really makes them believable, and even scary to know that anything is possible, and does happen!  Enjoy!

(I tried to write somthing to this, yesterday, but had a glitch in the typing, and the posting.  A friend of mine told me it had to do with my server, it's called a delayed response time, which caused me to type over my sentences.  Weird, is all I can say.  I've never had that happen, although, I've never had Time Warner as my server before, either!)     

pen21
0 Kudos

I recently finished Ingenue. It is set in the 1920s, roaring twenties. I read the arc of the first in the series Vixen, here at Barnes and Noble. This book is just as good as the first one.

Ingenue (The Flappers Series #2)  

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy

pen21 wrote:

I recently finished Ingenue. It is set in the 1920s, roaring twenties. I read the arc of the first in the series Vixen, here at Barnes and Noble. This book is just as good as the first one.

Ingenue (The Flappers Series #2)  

Thanks pen..Did see it at Target...Going back down..I did really enjoy Vixen.....Not a YA or Adult,,,IMHO..Just a wonderful" Picture" of The Era...Author Jillian Larkin..did her research and has a wonderful Background for someone so young...Wish more people would reserve a Copy at their Library...You won't be disappointed....Vermont

Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
dhaupt
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Black As Snow  Let us know how this one is. It looks interesting. Fantastic cover!

pj, this is a new author to me and his publicist asked me to read and review his newest novel, I'm thinking he may visit us next year. Stay tuned for the review

below is his website where he talks about himself and his other works of fiction.

http://nick-nolan.com/intro_db.html

dhaupt
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
butterfly30
0 Kudos

I recently read

The Violets of March  

I loved this book!!  It was so beautiful.  I can't wait for her next book due out in December.

"Tomorrow Is A brand New Day With No Mistakes In It" Anne of Green Gables
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

coffee_luvr wrote:

....  I also just finished Mudbound by Hillary Jordan- this was a sobering subject but really liked the way the author had each character "talk" about the story from their perspective.

Mudbound  by Hillary Jordan

Coffee_luvr brought this to my attention in June of 2010, then it disappeared from my radar.  (Stephenie and Ibis had read it earlier, according to posts here.)  I don't know what brought it forward again, but I know I was looking for something as an adult antidote to another reading of To Kill a Mockingbird  (Harper Lee).  This certainly fits that bill!

[I just copied this post -- with a little more detail -- to our current reading thread.  My apologies for the duplication, but I figure this thread should quickly sink downwards again.]

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
New User
Disguy678
0 Kudos

What Book your reading?

Im Reading the Grapes of wraths. i have mixed feeling about it as i hear alote like it and some people i know dont like it but i read about a chapter and im in love with it.i cant wait to read another one of steinbacks books.:smileyhappy:

New User
DisGuy678DA

Re: What Book your reading?

I have just finished the book City of Orphans. This is a great book for all ages and I believe the story takes place in 1890 in New York city. If you have ever seen the movie the newsies you might want to check this book out.

dhaupt
0 Kudos

DisGuy678DA wrote:

I have just finished the book City of Orphans. This is a great book for all ages and I believe the story takes place in 1890 in New York city. If you have ever seen the movie the newsies you might want to check this book out.

Hi DisGuy, thanks for sharing what you're reading

The Grapes of Wrath   is one of my favorite classic

City of Orphans   looks good too.

Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting..I do Love That time Frame in NYC..and Do remember The Movie Newsie's....Will Ck out "City Of Orphans"..Lots of Truth in those stories .
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
New User
DisGuy789
0 Kudos

A Book Im Reading is Of Mice and Men By John Steinback. I been hearing its good book and so far it is. If any one could give feed back on the book would be nice.

Of Mice and Men  

dhaupt
0 Kudos

DisGuy789 wrote:

A Book Im Reading is Of Mice and Men By John Steinback. I been hearing its good book and so far it is. If any one could give feed back on the book would be nice.

Of Mice and Men  

Well it's been quite a few years since I read this classic DisGuy, it's well worth the read unless you don't like tragedies and unhappy endings.

I'm also supplying a link to the new What are you reading thread, this one doesn't get used anymore and I'd hate to have anyone miss your posts

You are of course welcome to use which ever you like.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Fiction-General-Discussion/Tell-us-what-you-re-reading-right-...

Ryan_G
0 Kudos

Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time Series #10)  

Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time Series #11)  

The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time Series #12)  

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com