Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

What are you reading?

What are you reading right now?  Where did you hear about it?  Would you recommend it? 
Stephanie
Contributor
CelticSkye
0 Kudos

Re: What are you reading?

Stephanie wrote:
What are you reading right now?  Where did you hear about it?  Would you recommend it? 

Currently I am on book 5, Bloody Bones, of the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton.  I heard about this series when I was introduced to a second series by Hamilton, the Meridith Gentry series.  I fell in love with Hamilton and her writing style and had to check out the Anita Blake series as well.  I would definately recommend both series.  Hamilton has a writing style that just makes me get lost in the books.  It's like a movie playing in my head as I'm reading.  These books are graphic in a sexual nature but Hamilton writes it beautifully.

Happy Reading!

~Celtic Skye

Frequent Contributor
leighvmewithmyimagination
0 Kudos

I'm slowly working my way through Les Miserables.  It's a great book but I'd probably suggest those interested to seek out the condensed version.  Overall.....a really good story.
Stephanie

Mary Kate,

When you finish those, I have two authors for you - Vicki Pettersson and Kim Harrison.  You'll love them both.

Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

leighvmewithmyimagination wrote:
I'm slowly working my way through Les Miserables.  It's a great book but I'd probably suggest those interested to seek out the condensed version.  Overall.....a really good story.

Leigh,

Excellent story- what made you choose it?   

Stephanie
Wordsmith
CaLaMiTyPLeAsE
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading The Lord Of The Rings, and I'm also reading Pride and Prejudice for my English class.
step through my looking glass at calamityplease.blogspot.com and it'd be ever so thoughtful and kind of you to follow me. :smileywink: Also I have a new contests of sorts on said blog concerning THE VAMPIRE ACADEMY by Richelle Mead. So check it out.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I am reading "Harm done" by  Ruth Rendell and and just picked up "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold and have read forty seven pages. I am loving Harm Done. Ruth Rendell is a great writer, I read her mysteries every once in a while. I am also loving "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. She brings you right to the target, boom,boom,which hooked me before I knew what hit me! I guess what hit me so hard, was it was about a daughter that was overcome with weariness from taking care of her motherMost of us have gone through that, are will eventually in our lives ,or with another elderly person that is close to you. I did with a mother and a auntBoth are great books. And they are both worth a read.

Wordsmith
Zack_Kullis

I am reading "The Teeth of the Tiger" by Tom Clancy.

The story involves some people in an "off-the-books" intelligence agency that is somewhere between the CIA and the NSA.  One of the things that I really like about this book is the moral dilemma that one of the agency's people have regarding preemptive assassination of terrorists. 

I think Clancy does a good job of depicting the inner struggle that many in law enforcement and intelligence organizations have with protecting the population and the need to kill.  There is an unseen struggle that most of us don't see, and don't want to see, between those that would go through any means to kill us, and those that have to do the occasionally "unpleasant" to stop them.

Clancy includes a quote from George Orwell in his book that I think is great:

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

In making the omelet of public safety, eggs need to be broken.

Sic volvere Parcas...
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

Stephanie, I am reading Exposed World again.  I kept up with the author's book biography and got a hold of this one.  Once you start reading it, you can't put it down.  I would absolutely recommend this one to any fiction reader looking for a little suspense.  Basically, death enters a small town, but it doesn't end there, exposing the world after death...showing where these people have gone...in which are not very comforting places at times.  Very good, suspenseful/horror fiction book.  Right now, this is my -'I will be glued to this one for a while'- wow.

Cover Image

dhaupt
0 Kudos

I am reading The Drowning Pool by Jacqueline Seewald, It's very good and I almost didn't read it because I found the prequel The Inferno Collection boring. But I'm glad I made myself read it. Authors like wine get better with time.
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

I am reading RIGHT NEXT DOOR, by Debbie Macomber
Frequent Contributor
michaela27
0 Kudos

I am reading Atonement right now, and so far I really like it.
Inspired Scribe
IBIS

I've always been drawn to series... when I find a character that I've gotten to know very well...  it's like making a friend, I want to continue the friendship...

Last summer I read the entire Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes. I was devastated when I finished the last one, and realized that there were no more.

Over the years I've read Peter Robinson's Detective Inspector Alan Banks' mysteries. Alan Banks has become one of my dearest friends... sometimes I'm shocked to realize that he doesn't really exist.

Lee Child's Jack Reacher is another character whose friendship I treasure. I just finished reading his 13th adventure "Gone Tomorrow"... and fervently hope that Lee Child will continue his yearly publication dates.

I'm currently reading the latest Michael Connelly novel "The Scarecrow." Connelly has the intriguing concept of mixing his characters in various novels... when they interact with each other, they become much more real to  me.  

In "The Scarecrow", we meet Jack McEvoy again, who meets up with Rachel Walling, two characters that were in "The Poet"... a book that came out in the 90s.

It's like an inside family joke... you know how someone is related to another, and under what bizarre circumstances they met. 

Thank goodness for serial writers! 

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
New User
photographer0260
0 Kudos

At the moment I am reading a book called "Do Hard Things" by Alex and Brett Harris. My friend had recommended the book along with the pastor at my church. I haven't finished it yet, but i would recommend it. I'm really enjoying the book so far.
Frequent Contributor
SandraEBarker
0 Kudos

I am going to start reading the Sookie Stackhouse collection
Frequent Contributor
MrsWaki
0 Kudos

I am reading books by Jerome Christopher King
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I am just finishing up The Geographer's Library.  I'm still not sure what I think of the book yet. 

The Geographer's Library 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

Just got my husband the newest Dean Koontz for Father's Day- Relentless  and I wanted to start it before he did!  He has already started it, however, so I suppose I'll have to wait.

And of course I'm reading Dorothea Benton Frank's Return to Sullivans Island  for our July book club, and I hope you all are planning to join the discussion.  

Stephanie
Inspired Wordsmith
Stephanie
0 Kudos

MrsWaki wrote:

Stephanie, I am reading Exposed World again.  I kept up with the author's book biography and got a hold of this one.  Once you start reading it, you can't put it down.  I would absolutely recommend this one to any fiction reader looking for a little suspense.  Basically, death enters a small town, but it doesn't end there, exposing the world after death...showing where these people have gone...in which are not very comforting places at times.  Very good, suspenseful/horror fiction book.  Right now, this is my -'I will be glued to this one for a while'- wow.

Cover Image

Sounds phenomenal!  I need a copy of that one... just how "horror" is it though? I don't do well with gruesome or grotesque! 

Stephanie
Frequent Contributor
WestchesterRFranks
0 Kudos

I read Exposed World twice.  It's mostly suspenseful; there are times where it gets a little dark, but mostly just...crazy suspense..hard to explain...but a very good book.